[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the series finally jump the shark with this game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 12
File: Halo_Guardians.png (133 KB, 275x350) Image search: [Google]
Halo_Guardians.png
133 KB, 275x350
Did the series finally jump the shark with this game?
>>
Nah. The game is great and a lot of fun to play.

December DLC should fix any "problems" there are with the game.
>>
>>318416896
Dlc cannot fix the fucking story.
>>
>>318416131
I liked it
>>
>>318416131
No, if anything that would be 4.

>>318417045
5''s story is fine.
>>
>It didn't jump the shark with...
>AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS
>Or 4 in general
>Or the collection having broken multiplayer forever
>>
>>318416131
4 was bad and this is even worse.

Easily the Home Alone 4 of the series while Halo 4 is Home Alone 3.
>>
>>318417221
Halo has been about ancient evils since day 1 though, what the fuck are the flood

>>318417363
>this is even worse.
I'd love to know your logic for that, 5 is everything 4 should have been.
>>
>>318417221
I'm talking about Cortana being in a physical form and EVIIIIIIL.
>>
>>318417451
Her being evil makes fucking sense though, her rampancy has been a major plot point for 2 whole fucking games now, and it''s what 4 should have been to begin with, you stuck in the dyson sphere with an increasingly rampant cortana before she completely loses it and you having to take her out.

Not to mention her rampancy in 5 is handled the way rampancy is actually described as wheras in 4 it was simplified to fucking temper tantrums.
>>
>>318417425

Yeah but they literally said "AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS"

That's a horrible cliched line right up there with "IF YOU KILL HIM, YOU'LL BE NO DIFFERENT" or "NO HERO, IT IS YOU WHO WILL DIE"

I can shit better taglines than that
>>
>>318416131
Pretty sure it jumped the shark with the asinine campaign that was Halo 2.
>>
>>318417951
>theere are people who actually disilike halo 2's story and campaign

what possible reasons could you have

>WAH HOW DARE THEY MAKE THE STORY NOT BAREBONES AND SKELETAL AND ADD LORE AND SHIT
>>
>>318417045
the story was about as good as any other halo.. who plays fps for the storyline tho??
>>
>>318418171

It has one of the most kick to the balls cliffhanger non-endings ever?
>>
>>318417885
you realize that phrase only really became a meme from the 343 haters after that game came out right? 3 years ago
>>
Halo CE:
>Great story, awesome ending, good cliffhanger
Halo 2:
>Amazing story, bullshit cliffhanger
Halo 3;
>Okay story, excellent ending that tied up the story, cliffhanger that didn't need to be expanded upon
Halo 4;
>Less than average story, bland ending, no cliffhanger
Halo 5;
>Bad story (except the Swords vs Covenant parts), terrible ending, even worse cliffhanger

Arbiter went from awesome to terrorist, Cortana went from DEAD HERO to psycho villain, and Chief became a useless hero who didn't do anything. The only good parts of Halo 5 were the Swords of the Sangheli taking back the Elite homeworld, and the female core who blows the fuck out of Cortana in the ending. The series should have ended as a trilogy. Instead, it got dragged on worse than Metroid did with Other M and Federation Force.
>>
>>318418408

>After the game

NOOOOOOOOOOPE

It explicitly was a thing before Halo 4 was announced.
>>
>>318418363
Nigger there were alrready 13 fucking missions by that point, did you really fucking think they'd be another 5?

>>318418614
>4 with a better story then 5
you are literally retarded
>>
>>318417045
If you read da books the story is pretty decent
>>
>>318418687
nah it wasn't
>>
>>318416131
The campaign is pretty shit, be it fun shit. But the multi is excellent. Been playing BTB non-stop for the past week and I think it might be my favourite Halo ever. It sounds like shilling and I'll no doubt be accused of said shilling, but its legitimately brilliant.
>>
>>318418860

Yes it was newfag, yes is fucking was.
>>
>>318416131
It's still a major improvement from 4
>>
>>318418847

>reading books based on games

You might as well read Twilight while you're at it.
>>
>>318418934
unfortunately i've been here for around 10 years mate. can spot one of you casual /v/ meme hiveminders from a mile away
>>
>>318418860
>>318418408
>nah it wasn't
Your memory is off man. Threads about cliche vidya storylines would start off all the time with Ancient Evil Awakens usually accompanied by an OP image of a crow or raven or some shit way before Halo 4.
>>
>>318418713
4 didn't turn Chief into as much of a bitch as 5. 4 didn't have Cortana turn into a villain. 4 didn't have that fucking Warden guy. 4 didn't make Arbiter into a terrorist. 4 didn't make everyone look like shit.

Sure, 4 had that didact fag and the totally-not-human librarian, but those bad aspects are far outweighed by the shit in 5. 5 was practically fanfiction with how ridiculous it got. At least 4 tried to somewhat seem reasonable. I'll take immortal space vampire Didact over zombie bitch Cortana any day.
>>
File: 1426794011107.png (286 KB, 645x597) Image search: [Google]
1426794011107.png
286 KB, 645x597
>>318418614
>except the Swords vs Covenant parts
Someone with the same opinion as me. That part was intense man.
>>
Who /gearsfag/ now
>>
>>318418408
Absolutely not. It was a huge meme for like a year before Halo 4's big ancient evil trailer at E3, so /v/ freaked the fuck out when that line came up
>>
>>318419108
nah those started popping up 2-3 years ago.
>>
>>318419228

>Caring about a series everyone else has forgotten about
>>
>>318419196
That was what Halo SHOULD have been; you kicking alien ass. None of that silly robot shit, none of those skeletons in robot suits. Motherfucking ALIENS.
>>
>People acting like mp isn't the most important part of Halo
I like the story of the series, but come on. Even Halo CE was made famous by its splitscreen and LAN mp, and Halo 2 was legendary solely due to the online mp.
>>
>>318418847
I shouldn't have to do anything beyond playing the previous games to know what's going on in Halo 5. The books are there as extra content, not a crutch for the story to rely on to make sense.
>>
>Cortana is tied to the chip in Chiefs head
>Didact is teleported across the galaxy to an unknown place
>"Cortana" later shows up again even though it's impossible
>Domain is seen in the background when you first meet her in 5

It's like /v/ actually is retarded
>>
>>318419536
This thinking is what gave us the worst spartan team in history, noble.
Bungie wanted to do a blue team game but they didn't want to use an established badass team from the books, so instead they half assed a shitty team themselves .
>>
>>318418860
>>318419089
>>318418408

The reason /v/ even freaked about about that line was because it was an established meme already.

I remember seeing threads that started off with it, cliched lines threads, long before Halo 4 was announced.

You're wrong, get over it.
>>
File: 121334545665.jpg (47 KB, 493x342) Image search: [Google]
121334545665.jpg
47 KB, 493x342
>There are people in this thread right now who seriously think people play Halo for the campaign

Jesus Christ, /v/, even you lot aren't this stupid, surely?
>>
>>318419523

Enjoy your CoD MP reskin.

It's all it is anymore thanks to 343.
>>
>>318419135
>4 didn't turn Chief into as much of a bitch as 5

This is complete bullshit. 4 has him going out of his way to disobey orders and act irratonally out of fucking love for cortana, who he's only known for 3 fuckiing months. He shouldn't care nearrly that much about her. It goes entirely against his character.

>4 didn't have Cortana turn into a villain.
Yeah and the game would have been 10x better if it did over the didact who they had to hamfist a reason for him to bee evil for to make him one. You do fucking realize that rampancy was a think since litterally CE came out, and her being past her expiration date wasn't something they just made up right? How she's shown in 5 being delusional but not outright psychotic and not even realizing she's messed up is far more in line with how rampancy has been described then in 4.

> 4 didn't have that fucking Warden guy.
Yeah, so?

> 4 didn't make Arbiter into a terrorist.
>4 didn't make everyone look like shit.
What?
>>
>>318418847

You're kidding right? I've read everything but Last Light, and it's only made my view of the game more negative than those who haven't read the books. They contribute almost nothing to this game.

Halo 5's story was absolute garbage. All it did was set up a larger story, that may or may not be incredibly shitty as a whole since they brought Cortana back, and give you next to no payoff in the game itself. If this was a comic book, that wouldn't be that bad. Just wait till next week/month and you're next continuation of the story is here. But this is a game with a three year development cycle. We literally got a "TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR MORE HALO!!!" story. We accomplished fucking nothing. This would have fit as a book that lead up to a game where SOMETHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS, but instead we got a game where nothing fucking happens. Jul's dead, Halsey's with the UNSC. That's fucking it. Sali is still leading his new faction of Covenant, so they're not gone. Cortana capturing and losing Blue team didn't matter because it didn't progress shit. She policed the galaxy without them.

It's just 12 to 15 missions of an in-universe update, not a continuation of what's actually going down. Fuck all of you who keep repeating that the books solve this shit. They don't, at least not any more. The books covered everything extra in the original trilogy, and Halo 4. They don't plug into Halo 5 at fucking all.
>>
>>318419741
Says the casual retard that's never played it.
>>
>>318419653
Well relying on the books gave us the horribly boring Osiris and the completely useless Blue Team so you tell me which is worse.
>>
>>318419842
Even Osiris is better than Noble, and Blue team was great in the missions they were in.
>>
>>318419765
None of what you say is incorrect, but that doesn't make 5's story bad, it makes it short. I don't know about you but I judge stuff based on what they actually are, not what they aren't.

The only thing in 5 that I can point to of actually being bad is how poorly jul's death was handled.
>>
1. Why is Jul killed off in a cutscene? He was built up in Halo 4 as the new head of the Covvies and to just kill him like a bitch did a great disservice to his character, and to the player. I'm sure everyone here wanted to beat him down and end the last great Covenant leader. It seemed dissonant to me the way they had him eliminated. Yes it was to show that Osiris was a lethal threat that killed everything in their way, but it would be way better hands on.

2. The cutscenes are strangely shortened. They fade to black at such an abrupt moment that its slightly jarring. With Roland for example he shouts at the crew and after his tirade about Cortana it just fades away. It feels like something is missing, like there was a whole rest of that convo we could have seen. However we never see how the crew reacts, and it makes you wonder what else went on.

3. Blue Team is handled well, however they messed up on certain parts. Why is John calling Fred "Frederic", when Linda and Kelly call him Fred as far as I know John always referred to him as Fred. Also Kelly isn't super fast, and the Spartan IVs are the same height as Spartan IIs which is also bothersome.

4. Why are the Elites voices so similar to the old Brute voices? They have the same exact guttural deep voice as the Brutes. It sounds weird and it makes the Elites sound more unintelligent.

5. AI companions are dumb, like really dumb. Its almost astonishing how useless they are.

6.Almost every fireteam member outside of John has no personality. And when I say that I mean they are mostly stereotyped. Locke is the no nonsense robotic soldier, Tanaka is the colonist girl with the stereotypical southern drawl, Buck is the wiseacre, Vale is a contemporary mary sue progressive woman, and Fred, Linda, and Kelly are Spartans. Kinda disappointing that we didn't learn more about these characters. Im not saying give us huge exposition and dialogue about them, but at least show us more than stereotypical blather.
>>
>>318419919
Lol Blue Team did absolutely nothing of value in Halo 5. Literally the only reason they were in the game was so that the Master Chief missions were 4 player coop.
>>
>>318419983
>>318419765
To clarify, I agree 5 feels like it's only half a story, but I feel like what's there is pretty well done, it does everrything 4 did only actually handled well.
>>
7.No marines in campaign, I miss my marines

8.Mass Effect style "walk around and talk to people" missions dont belong in Halo, the fact that there were like 3 of these was annoying. Id honestly just have the cutscene, since all the character models look like poop when youre standing around the bases.

9. The Chief vs. Locke fight was so insanely bad I wanted to tear my eyeballs out. Chief is a 7 foot something monster of metal and flesh, he would have torn Locke a new asshole. The fact that Locke actually got enough hits in to crack Chief's visor was totally lore breaking. There is no way that Chief would lose to Locke, ever. Also, you have BLUR and you dont use them in that fight, it looked like 2 60 year old men trying to wrassle. MAKE BETTER DECISIONS THAT FIGHT SHOULDVE BEEN SOMETHING THAT EVERYONE WOULDVE LOVED.

10. Why does Chief have a Cortana vision? How is she contacting him?

11. Why are the SoS and the Covenant equipped with the exact same armor and weapons? It wouldve been cool to see the SoS using older Sanghelios gear.
>>
File: 1448832345387s.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1448832345387s.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>318417045
>playing halo for story
>>
>>318418187
>implying halo is a generic fps

Maybe with 4 and 5. But it never used to be.
>>
>>318420185
>Destroyed the ONI ship to stop covenant from getting serious intel
>Slapped Locke's shit fairly easily
>Demolished the AI army, and beat 3 Wardens at once
>>
>>318420310
lol

story was garbage from 2. If you want interactive movies get a ps4
>>
>>318420181
>Also Kelly isn't super fast
This meme needs to end.
Kelly is only slightly faster than John.
>>
12. When we find Arbiter it looks like his side is getting BTFO, so how is it that a Spartan team can so easily turn the tide?

13. The Kraken, while looking amazing and really giving a sense of massive power, is really a step down from Scarabs, I expected those huge blue lights to fire Scarab blasts but it never did. It just seems weird that it was built up as this huge weapon platform but never really delivered on its destructive potential.

14. Vale's female elite dialogue was so cringey that it makes me wonder who decided that was a good idea. If you're going to make a big show about female Elites in the SoS then SHOW US THE FEMALES. Don't put a throwaway line about them and how you're "impressed". If you're not going to put female Elites in the game fighting beside us then don't even make that effort to seem so "progressive". It's a typical case of "show, dont tell" and 343 failed that.

15. We only get 5 minutes with the Arbiter as an ally. The greatest Elite ever, and we fight along side him for such a short amount of time that it really lets the air out of the tires for that mission. I just wanted to see him slaying Covvies with his bitchin orange energy sword.

16. Warden Eternal, while a good idea, was used poorly. He is literally the only boss in Halo 5 and just spawning more of him doesn't constitute boss fights. I wish he was a more final boss and we had more Covvie and Promethean construct bosses.

17. Nothing in the campaign had anything to do with the ads. All that false advertising with #teamlocke or #teamchief was bullshit and it was really stupid to even use it.

18. How does Osiris know how to use Phaetons?

19. Why did the Covenant bunker down at locations you need to pass through but have no importance to them? Theyre not trying to find Cortana, why are they setting up turrets and defensive locations at places that have zero significance to them, but all the significance to you?
>>
File: 1446219806924.jpg (331 KB, 1470x1116) Image search: [Google]
1446219806924.jpg
331 KB, 1470x1116
>>318420520
who gives a shit I'm too busy playing mp
>>
20. I loved Cortana talking shit to Osiris, none of them are likeable with the the exception of Buck, and thats only because he was in ODST.

21. For a game titled Guardians, and being the only main Halo game to have a subtitle, why were the Guardians never used? We never see the destructive power of the Guardians, only their shockwaves when they go to slipspace.

22. Why can't Cortana just turn Warden off? She does at the end, why didnt she just do that sooner?

23. The ending was a lame cliffhanger that was even worse than 2's and thats saying something.

24. Linda stepping in front of Chief when Cortana showed up was so sweet, really good at showing how Blue Team was family.

25. Exuberant is Cute. Cute!!!

26. Why is Cortana so ugly?

27. Why are Forerunner constructs such as Guardians and Prometheans so organic looking? They never had that in the older games.

28. Locke is boring as a protag. Chief was cool because he never talked and you could project emotions on him. In this game Locke talks too much and makes it feel like youre just another cog in the machine, not a great hope for humanity.
>>
>>318419983

Really? That's the only thing you see?

>Jul's dead.

>Halsey mysteriously catches news of Cortana.

>Elite shields mysteriously stop working in Jul's death scene.

>Warden's and Cortana's motivations are not explained at all.

>Contrived Domain plot. It kept Ur-Didact from being sane, yet came back just in time for Cortana? Absolute bullshit.

>Cutscenes stop a solid 5 to 10 seconds before they should be over.

>Roland's anger is not built on.

>Blue Team were almost blank slates for the whole thing.

>No actual fucking "hunt" for more than 3 or 4 missions.

>Bringing Cortana back at all. Literally makes the end of Halo 4 meaningless. We've "rescued" her how many times now? Would this be the third when including Reach's delivery?

>Palmer's attitude towards Halsey has shitty explanation now. Escalation didn't provide shit for context on that mood shift. "Oh I'm just glad she made a mistake like I did, so we're on even ground now." Yeah, fuck off with that nonsense.

>Warden only used one or two bodies against Osiris when he has millions, and no reason to go easy on them when compared to Blue team who Cortana requests he not attack.

>Again, we accomplished jack shit.

There's plenty wrong with this shitfest, anon. Stop turning a blind eye to it.
>>
>>318416131
I believe it did that after Halo 3, anon.
>>
>>318419594
>Humanity is at a civil war
>Other species are also going through a civil war
>Guardians are being used to steal tech that the prometheans can use
>AI, which humanity has a large dependence on is revolting
>CORTANA HAS PERSONAL ARMOUR NOW

THEY COULDNT MAKE IT MORE OVBIOUS WITHOUT SOMEONE STRAIGHT UP SAYING IT
>>
>>318420340
>Destroyed the ONI ship to stop covenant from getting serious intel
What important intel? I was never told what it was. And it felt like I did that as Chief while the AI just stood there like idiots.
>Slapped Locke's shit fairly easily
Again, that was only Chief and that fight scene was hilariously bad
>Demolished the AI army, and beat 3 Wardens at once
Again, that was just me as Chief. AI stood there being useless.

Blue Team had nothing to do as characters. At least in Reach, Noble Team had to come to terms with fighting a losing war to the biter end. What was Blue Team's struggle? What was their character arc?
>>
>>318420654
>Why are Forerunner constructs such as Guardians and Prometheans so organic looking?
Because they're digitized organics. Guardians likely have some similar background.
>>
I can't even tell if people are being sarcastic or they genuinely like Halo 5's shitty ass story.

>cortana is ebil now haha :D
>everything from 4 was thrown out the window, Jul (you know, the main bad guy elite you spent the whole game in 4 trying to kill) dies within 5 minutes of halo 5
>the ENTIRE tease around the story was a big fat lie just to hype everyone up thinking there would be an "epic" battle between Chief and Locke
>that fucking cliffhanger that essentially read "HAHA BUY HALO 6 NIGGERS" on the screen

and this is coming from a huge Halo fan that has all the books, every game and even some of the comics

Fuck Halo 5's shitty ass story.
>>
File: 1400866339454.gif (622 KB, 269x201) Image search: [Google]
1400866339454.gif
622 KB, 269x201
>yfw the legendary ending

AI vs Organics war
Chief might die trying to stop Cortana from using the rings

I'm still pissed with only 3 chief missions and no bro moment between arby n the chef
>>
>>318421002
>being mad a character whose rampancy has been built up for 3 fucking games is rampant now
>>
>>318420952
Yea, noble team, the cardboard no emotion cut outs that are horrible at their job, what a fucking great team.
It's truly amazing how Bungie went from making a great team in ODST to making such a trash team in Reach. Noble is the worst team in the Halo series.
>>
>>318420656
you know what, I haven't slept in 48 hours, i'm too tired to respond to each thing, sorry anon.
>>
>>318421161

More like being mad that we've had her "die" and mysteriously return as "evil" when she explains that she's been cured by the Domain, something that shouldn't even be around right now. They didn't explain jack shit in this story.
>>
>>318421260
She wasn't cured. She's immortal now, but she's still rampant.
>>
>>318421190
At least Noble Team had something to do in their own story. Neither Osiris or Blue team have anything to do. It's really just Chief and Locke. Everyone else is there so the game can be 4 player coop. And Osiris and Blue Team are as cardboard cut out as you can get.
>>
>>318421336

Dumbass, we don't know if she's cured or not. The only thing we have right now is her saying she's cured, all whilst trying to make her own form of the Forerunner Ecumene. Again, they didn't explain jack shit. They're trying to set this up for some epic "twist" but it's failing hard right now.
>>
>>318418847
Halo Books dropped off in quality after Ghosts of Onyx.
Karen Travis's books basically shit all over the established characters and lore.
>>
>>318421260
>>318420656
I don't understand why people are mad the domain is back, it's pretty fucking obvious they have a reason it's back, they just haven't explained it yet. Hell we've known for a while 343 planned out all the lore shit they were going to do for the next decade or so since before halo 4 came eout and the The Sprint videos confirmed that they had 4 and 5's stories already laid out back when they were making 4.
>>
>>318416131
yeah, I love the Halo books and am the biggest Halo story shill there is, even though I've never owned an xbox. Why the fuck did they have to go with a bullshit evil AI takes over the government story, like wtf I eat up whatever shit they put out and even I'm like goddamn this is just hella gay
>>
Halo 4 was when the series jumped into a pool of shit. Halo 5 is the series just swimming around in it.
Halo 3 should have been the end of MC, make spinoffs like ODST and Reach, I don't care. But 343 fucking ruined the main storyline
>>
>>318421663
Because it's supposed to be the one actual reason the Ur-Didact was still insane. You're telling me it just conveniently popped back up during the events of Halo 4 that took place after the Didact exited his Cryptum? Yeah, fat chance.
>>
>>318421551
>implying evolutions, contact harvest, the forerrunner books, broken circlee, and last light are bad

Also the first two travis books are fucking fine holy shit, they didn't ruin anybodies character. Lemmie guess, you are upset that the characters that the head of ONI, who has always hatedd halsey, made a team out of speffically to arrest her, hates her? Or that mendez having regrets later in liife over kiddnapping a bunch of kids is out of character deepsite the fact shit like that happens all the time IRL?
>>
>>318421037
The lack of any conclusive epilogue reunion scene is what bothers me the most. We finally have every major player together, and... we get a one-liner nobody liked the first time.
No reunion scenes. No planning. No despair. No Janus key discussion. No ONI corruption. Nothing in the podcasts or books played into 5. I never liked Chief vs. Locke, but I did like the idea of dealing with a political corruption civil war.
>>
>>318421690
>wtf
>hella gay
Please never post again.
>>
>>318421782
It would if him coming back had something to do with it coming back. Also, considering how heavily it's implied the flood's conciousnees uses the same "medium" as the domain, I'd wager to bet that it was never truly destroyed or the flood's resurgence re-created it.
>>
So, Cortana is still rampant as fuck right?

She believe she's "cured and immortal" but that's basically her being so far gone, she's past just being simply rampant, she actually believes she's okay now.

at least that's what I got from it
>>
>>318421479
>At least Noble Team had something to do in their own story
Be a shit? Yea, Noble team was certainly a shit
>>
>>318422051
If it weren't for the interviews where BRoss seems to say otherwise, that was the only evident conclusion to draw from the game.
>>
>>318422036
That's not at all how any of that works. The Domain is it's own Organism, created by the Precursors, the things that came before the Flood. Cryptums allow the user to connect to it, and meditate. There's no way for the Flood to interrupt here.

Further, him coming back has no connection to the Domain either. It's not like it just has a fucking key in the ignition the entire time waiting for a single cryptum in the entire galaxy to get momentarily shut down before it turns back on. On top of all of that, this would also imply that the Keymind was lying to The Librarian for absolutely no fucking reason.
>>
>>318417451

She's not Evil. It has been stated many times. The amount of war and destruction she has seen, she is simply doing what she thinks will bring about permanent peace. A universe policed by the guardians.
>>
I don't think so.

The general consensus is that the game played great.
The multiplayer is addicting and is a nice modernization of the original trilogy playstyle.
60 fps throughout is very nice.
Free DLC is highly beneficial.

I'm not a fan of the campaign, and I don't just mean the story. I think it's a poorly designed Halo campaign with a failure of a main gimmick. For my money, it's only a half step above COD-tier campaigns.
I also don't like the art style in this game. Everything looks so bulbous and monochromatic. None of the structures mesh together in ways I like. I do like the skyboxes though.
I do t like how random the unlock system is. While the REQ packs font break warzone balance, I wish there were alternative ways to unlock armor.

All in all a solid shooter that falls flat in the single player area (for me at least) but is made up in the exceptional multiplayer.
>>
>>318422072
Better than doing nothing at all which is what happened in 5.
>>
File: 1381961597351.jpg (6 KB, 196x204) Image search: [Google]
1381961597351.jpg
6 KB, 196x204
>>318418847
>you have to read some turbonerd Halo book to make heads or tails of its shitty fanfic tier story

Really dude?
>>
>>318422308
Stated by the devs, yeah. Which just goes to show how much of a shit job they did when it comes to having the story explain itself. Nearly everyone is concluding that she's evil, and if it weren't for Frankie just straight up telling us how we should feel about the story, most people that do think she's not wouldn't have a reason for thinking she's not.
>>
File: Canti.jpg (183 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Canti.jpg
183 KB, 1920x1080
We could have had this.
>>
>>318420470

Kelly is so fast she had to slow down on purpose sparing with another Spartan, she should be like Sonic in Halo 5 with that Hermes armor.
>>
>>318422504

>Nearly everyone is concluding that she's evil

Because lets be honest, the average person is a fucking moron who only seens in black and white. I agree 343 have done a shit job explaining any story in game since 4 though.
>>
>>318416131
>Halo Age of Cortana.
>>
Daily reminder that if you haven't read the books, you don't belong in this thread, nor do you belong in Halo
>>
File: This fucking guy.jpg (125 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
This fucking guy.jpg
125 KB, 1920x1080
>>318419689
>There are people who play halo at all
>There are retards who actually bought a console to play the same game twice

You are pretty fucking stupid if you bought a xbox one to play Halo 5 given how shitty it is, even COD players would puke on it.
>>
>>318422257
yeah well fuck Bonnie Ross

Halo was perfectly fine before she came along, and lets be honest, she fucking destroyed Halo.
>>
>>318422508
>those casings

How do you even fuck up this badly?
>>
>>318422508

Someone thought the cover of doom was badass as a kid.
>>
>>318422289
>. The Domain is it's own Organism, created by the Precursors, the things that came before the Flood. Cryptums allow the user to connect to it, and meditate. There's no way for the Flood to interrupt here.

The implication I got from the forerunner books is the domain, the precursors, and thee flood's consciousness all exist on some alternate menta/astrral plane that's independent of conventional space or matter, neural phsysics bridging the two and allowing the former to interact with the latter.
>>
>>318421190
Their characters can be summed up in 3 or less words.

>Carter
hero guy

>Kat
girl

>Jun
sniper and asian

>Jorge
nice guy

>Emile
edgy nigger

>6
protagonist
>>
>>318416131
I wouldn't say 'jump the shark' but definitely went into the direction most Call of Duty games went: Really shit campaign and very solid Multiyplayer.

Every little detail except the writing and worldbuilding in the campaign seemed thought thoroghly through. I appreciate the the new mode warzone, even though big team battle is missing.

The crappy campaign is really disappointing since the bungie Halo games at least had passable campaigns or emotional roller coasters like Halo 2 campaign.

You're never invested into the setting, the characters or what is going on. All you do in the missions is either shoot stuff, move from point a to b, fight the same lame boss every damn time and have to sit through cutscenes that have the narrative depth of a pre school play.

Let's compare Halo 2's campaign with 5's.

>In Halo 2 Bungie threw a huge curveball with the Arbiter at the player. People back then didn't really like change of pace, because the gaming landscape was dictated by shooters set in war settings. Either it was CoD, battle Field or something else, being the great soldier that fights bad guys in a war was what people wanted bak then.

>The Arbiter felt out of place, awkward and in my opinion only later down the line his involvement really paid off.
>>
>>318423753
You can do that with basically anyone in fiction.
>>
>>318422508
someone santa hat that shit nao!
>>
>>318424086
>big team battle is missing
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/updates/battle-of-shadow-and-light
>>
>>318424113
>You can do that with anyone
ftfy
>>
>>318424086
I thought the writing was really good in 5. I mean that in the sense of the dialog, though, not the plot line. All the ambient enemy dialog and dialog with your teammates is really fucking well done and there's a whole dynamic system where what is said depends on how long you are taking and what you are looking at in the environment.
>>
>>318419765
So your life is ruined now because of the story? You are such a bitch.
>>
File: damn pizza rolls.jpg (115 KB, 425x609) Image search: [Google]
damn pizza rolls.jpg
115 KB, 425x609
>>318424086
>The ending of Halo 2 was very disappointing and the campaign, while very entertaining on legendary, quickly becomes boring in the last three levels.
>The last chief level is overly short and even on legendary laughably easy while the final two arbiter missions are ups and downs. The worst part was the banshee flight sequence in the last level, on legendary.

>The final boss fight was laughably easy, even on legendary, once you figured out tartarus move pattern. Compared to regret, this fight was just annoying and not fun at all.

>All in all, Halo 2 campaign was okay, it had good sides and really bad sides. After watching the coumentary I really felt like Bungie messed up reqriting the engine halfway through development and wasting effecitively 2 years of dev time for a proof of concept demo.
>The multiplayer in Halo 2 was good and pretty much opened the flood gates for console online gaming as we know it.
>>
>>318423675
Well you got the implication wrong. At no point do they state they all exist on some alternate/astral plane, nor do they share it if that even is the case. Neural Physics is a way of altering the Universe's physical state/reality. They used it to create structures through thought, and said structures were indestructible to anything that wasn't Neural Physics based (like Halo energy).

The Flood could certainly build a new domain if they wanted to, and had enough biomass to form a Keymind. This doesn't make sense story wise though, because a single Keymind could solo the entirety of "modern" Halo. If they actually even consider pitting a Keymind against modern Halo and calling it even remotely possible for them to defeat it, then they're batshit insane.
>>
>>318424312
Ah thanks, didn't know that.

>>318424493
Like I said, the writing (the narrative) and the worldbuilding were shit.

>>318424634
Now compare the campaign to Halo 5's.

>In Halo 5 you are instantly thrown into the action and meet Team Osiris. The introduction was actually well done but was not followed through. There were never moments in the first level were a teammember of Osiris shined. You just waltz through enemies, then see how Locke stabs Jul and you're done.

>Instead of ending the level with a good bossfight, we're treated with copy paste version Trunks instagibbing Frieza in Dragon Ball.
>While cool on paper, 343 pretty much made one of the worst mistakes in gaming:
>Do, don't show. - Never ever show the player character killing or ending a prominent threat, that he/she should have fought instead.

>The introduction of Blue team was shit. Yes, the landing scene on the Argent Moon as very well done, but we have no fucking clue who these people are. A little bit more exposition would have been nice.

>343 fell into the same pit like Blizzard: They assumed to much from their players in terms of background info and showed awesome stuff that the player actually should ahve done in a cutscene.

>The rest of the campaign only gets interesting when you listen to the banter of your teammates or look at the environment.
>At this point, halo could have been a golf course. 'Here, look the the wall, nice paintings. Really Really cool. No, no, we're not going to explain you why things are happening.'

>The plotpoints and characters all sound good on paper: Cortana becoming evil, trying to pacify the galaxy with questionable means.
>The ragtag Team of nobodies that hunts the big man himself.
>The old friends of the chief, who were doing other stuff while he saved the galaxy.
>>
>>318424510
At no point was it said that anyone's life was ruined.
>>
>>318422724
Go look at their speed records.
Again, Kelly was only slightly faster than John when both were running at their fastest.
>>
>>318425657
>I got the distinct feeling while playing the campaign, that 343 had the right ideas but utterly failed at the execution. For every good idea they showed us, we saw an utterly abysmal execution of said ideas.

>We're never in particular peril, there is never a great encounter that I want to remember, no cool cutscene, no exposition, nothing.

>Of all the pains Bungie went through with the development of Halo 2, at least they nailed the very important parts of the campaign: the narrative.

>People shit on the Arbiter levels, and with good reason, but nobody can dispute, that the vistas, cutscenes and setpieces of his levels were well made.

>In halo 5, on the other hand, while the levels have very fun gameplay and some interesting encounters, the narrative sucks ass.

>On top of it, the warden eternal is the most boring boss fight ever. Instead of treating him like Nemesis in Resident evil, an always present threat that gets more gadgets with every new encounter, you're just treated with more warden eternals.

>In conclusion: Halo 5 has very solid gameplay but the campaign shit the bed.
>>
File: 1448317985805.jpg (30 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
1448317985805.jpg
30 KB, 720x438
>>318420309
> Playing Halo for anything but the story.
>>
>>318424493
>Good dialogue
>Vale's comment on female Elites
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.