[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are RTS dead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
Are RTS dead?
>>
>>318412669
i real time shagged ur mum m8
>>
>>318412669
Is that chorizo? Fucking yummy TBQH
>>
>>318412669
Deader than that animal on your pl8 m8
>>
yes

The burial was like one of a war veteran, only old guys knowing their time is long past
>>
>>318413068
>animal
>>
>>318412669
koreans says no
>>
>>318412984
Where I live that's called "perro" ,literally dog in Spanish.

It isn't dog of course, just usual pig stuff.
>>
RTS died when they turned Close Combat into a modern warfare FPS. I still cant believe that shit happened and not only before the COD MW4 craze happened, but it did.
>>
>>318412669
No. It just changed form and is now alive and prospering on mobile. if you claim that RTS is dead but don't play a single mobile game, you're the cancer.
>>
>>318412669
Esports killed them.
>>
i wouldn't say dead, just at a pretty low point thanks to MOBAs
>>
>>318415843
What are some good mobile RTSs?
>>
>>318412669

Pretty much. RTS games are barely getting made anymore, and the few that exist are either jokes or on life support. Even the biggest RTS to be released in recent years is considered by most to be a joke.

If this doesn't qualify as being dead, I don't know what the fuck does.
>>
File: shutitdown.webm (3 MB, 1280x576) Image search: [Google]
shutitdown.webm
3 MB, 1280x576
go about your business, this thread and planet are ours now
>>
On life support.

The big problem is that nobody is trying anything new in the genre anymore, really. Relic innovated with CoH, had a load of real hit or miss decisions with DoW2, and then took several huge steps back with CoH2, which just keeps getting more and more cruddy DLC that rehashes everything that's been wrong with the series since CoH:OF.

Games like Grey Goo try to rehash the 'old school' RTS experience, not realizing that the 'old school' RTS playerbase will never escape the autism isolation ward that is Starcraft 1.

Then you have absolute garbage like Planetary Annihilation. Enough said about that.

The Wargame series has potential but is held back by a lot of stuff, such as a pretty low skill ceiling (sorry guys), the dumb faction system and generally just meh gameplay overall.

Finally, you've got stuff like Men of War, which is actually a really cool series that has gone the way of CoH with trash like Assault Squad 2 (just what the series needed, guys, persistent unlocks!!)

The RTS genre isn't dead. It's just bad.
>>
>>318412669
Not nearly as dead as Arena Shooters.
>tfw Reflex will never take off
>tfw Quake Live has been continually loosing players, so few people play now it's not really competitive
At least you can go play SC2.
>>
>>318412669
Interest is, but availability of games is not.
>>
AoE 2 still gets expansions, so no
>>
>>318418481
WE
>>
what game let me eat blood pudding, /v/, this is important
>>
>>318419596
Enjoy your ban
>>
Pretty much dead.
C&C is long gone, thanks to EA.
Warcraft is probably never being revisited as a strategy game after wow.
AoE2 is somehow getting expansions but it is still the same old unbalanced game and there probably wont ever be a new aoe.
All promising independent RTS games with interesting ideas that could breath life into the genre faceplanted hard. Achron fucked up. Planetary Annihilation fucked up. Grey Goo fucked up. Act of Aggression fucked up.
The only active game is SC2 but it is stale and has only been downards since wings of liberty.
>>
No, you just only control one character in two teams of 5 with no base building bullshit.
MOBAs are basically just RTS without the tedium.
>>
>>318412669
As far as AAA RTS's are concerned, yes. Its not profitable to make a game where new players are fucking murdered by gookclickers, Balancing is hard as shit and the Skill Floor is so high it makes anyone look like Manly Tears.
>>
Wish they would start making proper campaigns again. Every Developers seem to care mostly about creating competetive scene, and campaign is either a bloated turtorial, glorified tech demo, or - worst scenario - loaded with gameplay limitations because "muh story" (yes, Earth 2160, I still remember!).
>>
File: b32.jpg (59 KB, 500x410) Image search: [Google]
b32.jpg
59 KB, 500x410
>>318420440
>MOBAs are basically just RTS without the tedium
this

if by "tedium" you mean "any fucking semblance of difficulty that requires more of the player besides having extra chromosomes and isnt 80% based off random luck because of the retarded team system, and also pisses all over what rts stands for by undoing any form of base building or economy in favour of a shitty combat system that is based on hunting npcs and even that isnt balanced well"

because if thats the case then yeah i guess rts back in the day were tedious...
>>
File: tHE SAD future of RTS.png (61 KB, 433x455) Image search: [Google]
tHE SAD future of RTS.png
61 KB, 433x455
This is what your genre has become
behold it and weep.
>>
File: WIC_2.jpg (195 KB, 1000x640) Image search: [Google]
WIC_2.jpg
195 KB, 1000x640
>>318420674
forgot picture
>>318420551
nigga, you what? It's fucking delicious with dijon mustard, it tastes bad only when served cold, which it shouldn't be.
>>
File: 043 - 4GE3qYe.jpg (1 MB, 3322x2572) Image search: [Google]
043 - 4GE3qYe.jpg
1 MB, 3322x2572
No, I wouldn't say so. There are many people still playing the old games, plenty of people playing new ones, we are even getting new expansions for the old games.
As long as the genre has fans actually playing the games it isn't really dead.

The reason for persistence of the "RTS is dead" may-may is that many RTS fans get really passionate about new games being exactly like the old ones. I mean shit, SC fans still whine about SC2 having unlimited unit groups and good pathfinding, even though SC2 was already greatly bogged down by devs trying their hardest to pander to Koreans and other hardcore SC1 fans who just wanted to play same game, but with better graphics.
Also plenty of RTS fans mix up the genre with city builders and just want to build their comfy bases while largely ignoring the main point of the games - fighting the opponent. It's funny how vehemently Dawn of War 2 is hated for removing basebuilding, even though it served little gameplay meaning in Dow1 and was all but removed from CoH.
All of this leads to devs getting really mixed messages in regards to what the playerbase wants and games that try pandering to those messages come out mediocre as fuck - Grey Goo and Act of Aggression being latest examples. Both games advertised themselves as return to the golden age of 90s RTS and promptly died two weeks after release due to being dull and derogatory as fuck.
I wish there were more RTS devs willing to take risks and push the genre forward instead of misguided pandering to nostalgia. It's meaningless - those old games haven't gone anywhere and if I want to play RA2, AoE2 or SupCom I'll just play them.

tldr - RTS aren't dead, they just have a really whiny fanbase tripping on nostalgia
>>
>>318421229
>derogatory as fuck
excuse me?
>>
File: 1433181679591.gif (2 MB, 450x247) Image search: [Google]
1433181679591.gif
2 MB, 450x247
>>318420440
yah, and World of Tanks is just a tank simulator without "the tedium"
>>
>>318421438
don't bother to argue, it's pasta
>>
File: 088 - wgP4FH0.jpg (443 KB, 3253x2536) Image search: [Google]
088 - wgP4FH0.jpg
443 KB, 3253x2536
>>318421438
Yeah, sorry for a typo, I meant derivative.
>>
>>318417534

This is the exact same fate that befell Isoloot games;

>D2X is great great example of the genre.
>No sequel for way too long.
>Conventions of ARPGs improve while companies frantically try to recapture the magic of D2, which is impossible because it was a fluke.
>Imitators are broken (Norrath), shitty (Sacred), or just not particularly enticing (Torchlight, Path if Exile).
>People still praise D2X to this day as the pinnacle of the genre.
>D3 comes out after a decade long hiatus and it's shit. Several patches later and one DLC pack, it's actually superior in most ways to D2X.
>Genre is antiquated shit, anyone still playing it is autistic.
>Same thing is happening to MMOs.
>>
File: 2015-10-30_00001.jpg (672 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-30_00001.jpg
672 KB, 1920x1080
are mods vegetarian or what?
>>
Dead.
No current game has appeal for newer players, and they dont even try to, instead just circlejerk the late 90's/early 00's golden age. As a result the playerbase always stay the same or dwindles, no one gets into rts. New players jump to mobas instead.
Unless someone does something drastic, say, releasing a game that is to rts was halo was to shooters or what sf4 did the then dead-ish fighting games, I don't see rts popularity ever returning.
>>
>>318420674
this pretty much killed RTS for me. I do love the singleplayer campaigns.
Also the more it suffers from rock-paper-scissors style gameplay the worse
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.