[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 16
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (170 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
170 KB, 1920x1080
What went wrong?
>>
eveything
>>
Still in closed beta.
>>
40 bucks with a 99.99% chance you still have to buy heroes.
Gave all their beta keys to streamers.
LMAO 2 TICK servers.
No mode variety.

A whole lot. Probably still going to be quite successful to be honest. But it'll be shit regardless.
>>
>>318397186
I like what I've played of it so far. If it has a good variety of maps and game types on launch then it should be fun.
>>
20 ticks
>>
File: 1448333143902.jpg (288 KB, 1219x989) Image search: [Google]
1448333143902.jpg
288 KB, 1219x989
>artistic choice
>>
how the fuck do FPSes like this nowadays sell so many skins? it's literally a FPS you can't even see yourself
>>
File: old.png (88 KB, 430x241) Image search: [Google]
old.png
88 KB, 430x241
>>318397515
>>
>>318397515
I don't understand this either.
>>
>>318397515

it baffles me as well

at least in games in CSGO you can see skins you wasted your money on, but I don't understand the whole hat obsession in TF2 and shit
>>
Decided to make it buy2play.
I was excited to play when it was free2play. Ive grinded out most of the heroes I own in HotS and planned to do the same in OW. It helps me get a handle on each character.
Now I just don't care
>>
>>318397186
Nothing, the game looks fantastic, and by not being F2P, it's already a more interesting game.

Seriously, /v/, you guys complain about F2P all the time, then when a game that some thought would be F2P turns out to be a traditional buy to play game, you turn on it.
>>
>>318397515

but you can emote by pressing C i think(?) which puts your camera in 3rd person :^)
>>
>>318397515
It's a social thing. People like looking and feeling special to others. Especially with expensive/exclusive items that act as status symbols.

At the end of the day, competition is all about wanting to be above other people.
>>
>what went wrong
>game isn't out for another 4 months
you people are fucking retarded

>>318397860
Good. Poorfags go home.
>>
>>318397353
No, they've said that extra heroes will be free, as they would change the balance of the game too much. Maps, too. It's literally only skins you pay extra money for.
>>
File: visalwaysright.png (95 KB, 1086x590) Image search: [Google]
visalwaysright.png
95 KB, 1086x590
what went wrong?
>>
>>318397961
it's still going to rely on massive kikery with skins and DLC so it's twice as bad as if it was f2p
>>
>>318397860

>grinded out all the heroes in HOTS

jesus christ how long did that take you

i would rather pay $60 than grind out all that shit
>>
>>318397510
Good job not reading the first part of the sentence.
>>
>>318398060
Who cares about skins, you can't even see your character most of the time. Characters won't have alternate weapons, either, so its literally just skins. You aren't one of those people who would pay money for a skin, are you?
>>
>>318398036

I'll believe that when they change all their promotional material to say Buying game = All heroes. Rather than Buying game = All 21 Launch heroes!*****

Blizz don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>318398057
What does Activision stock price have to do with the quality of Overwatch?
>>
>>318398060
Why do you give a fuck if they sell skins? It literally makes no difference to you whatsoever. They're a business, if there's a market for people who want to buy Roller Derby Widowmaker or whatever the fuck else, they'd be idiotic not to tap it.
>>
File: 1448900672424.png (115 KB, 1086x590) Image search: [Google]
1448900672424.png
115 KB, 1086x590
>>318398057
Fixed it.
>>
>>318398204
They said that they most likely will have more heroes in expansions, but until then this is it.
>>
>>318398331
This, they're going with an expansion model, so you get a couple heroes/maps rather than one at a time.
>>
>>318398331

So they either split the playerbase with 'Expansion Packs' or introduce buying characters. Both options sound like shit family.
>>
The only thing that bothers me so far is the tickrate. But you faggots who are angry about p2p are fucking hilarious
>>
>>318398480
Being P2P kills online only multiplayer games. Games like CoD at least have a single player campaign. This could die within a month and it would just be $40 wasted. Battlefront isn't even going to survive to next year.
>>
>>318398438
with the way the game works, buying characters would fuck the game over more than expansions. They obviously want to continue supporting/developing the game after it gets released, and the expansion pack model is the least cancerous way to do so.

>>318398480
Meh, I was in the beta and I played ~20 hours. Didn't have a single instance where it felt like the tickrate made a difference between either me not getting a kill or getting killed when I shouldn't have. The game works fine.
>>
>>318398480
Why is that hilarious? Most online class-based coop FPS games are free. There's literally zero reason to play Overwatch over Team Fortress 2.
>>
They deflated the hype by releasing a beta to streamers 9 months in advance

They want the game to be lmaohardcoreesports but it's lacking so many features to be considered close to this type of game. If they were shooting for casual fun, it would be much more acceptable but they WANT the game to be an esport. There's low tickrates/netcode/whatever you want to call it, no kill feed, no meaningful statistics for a player.

Honestly when I played the beta weekend the most frustrating thing WASN'T being one shot ulted, it was the fact that the game feels so forgiving. I would take snipe shots at people, it would register in my mind that I definitely missed them, but I ended up landing a headshot. I can only imagine what their killcam must look like. You could play someone like Tracer who has a "rewind" ability and die mid-rewind because you were apparently killed before you used the ability. On the killcam, you would get shot and killed and didn't even rewind. It's unbelievably frustrating due to the netcode.

Blizzard has successfully marketed an FPS to an audience who doesn't PLAY FPS's. All of my league of losers playing friends are the ones excited for this, all of my friends who play things like CSGO/TF2(lol) don't even seem to care about it. The game will be too hardcore for people who aren't into the genre and will be too casual for those who actually are.

The game will be a financial success but it alienates its audience in so many ways it won't stick around.
>>
>>318398626
>This could die within a month
It's a blizzard game you moron.
>>
>>318397186
So anyone who is shitting on this game actually play the game?

Played the beta weekend could not get enough. Needs like 2 more heros for each class type to make it feel "full" though. Still waiting for my full beta access ;_;
>>
>>318398816

>want to play the game
>no beta key

rip
>>
>>318398816
Yeah I'm in the beta. It's a great game, but I agree about the heroes thing. Although maybe the maps/gamemodes at release will make up for it a bit.
>>
>>318398751

One other thing, spamming the same character to block a point is hilariously imbalanced. Even in "comp" games I've watched they do this when it comes down to the very end. Everyone spams Winston, or D.va. With all the bubbles/defense matrices you can't do shit against it and they will constantly force you off the point which will end the game. COMPETITIVE games are using these bullshit strategies
>>
>>318398801
>It's a Blizzard game you moron
D3, SC2, HotS, and pretty soon WoW are all dead/dying games.

Being a Blizzard game doesn't matter anymore, It's ActiBlizzard not Blizzard. Blizzard games had heart, ActiBlizzard games don't. Koreans are all moving back to BW, that's all that needs to be said.
>>
>>318398816
everyone shitting on the game is going to play it

this is /v/, when was the last time they said something was going to flop actually flop?
>>
>>318398816

i feel bad. I had fun over the weekend when i got to play. real life shit had be busy the whole time. None of my friends got in.

I feel like if my friends played it would be fun, but my friends also quickly decide a game is not worth playing because it does not reward their skill the exact amount they want and they quit.

I'm not putting 40$ on that gamble.
>>
>literally commissioning streamers to play and shill your game months in advance

The game will get a surge of blizzardrones playing and shilling it but it will die very soon after that
>>
>>318399048
>commissioning
they didn't pay any streamer, they simply gave them beta access
>inb4 blizzdrone
you won't be able to find proof and i'd say something about how you're going to say you don't need proof but lets not get ahead of ourselves
>>
>>318398658
>expansion pack model is the least cancerous way to do so.

The least cancerous way of supporting the game with heroes and additional content is to support the game with heroes and additional content.

'Expansion Models' in this day and age means glorified DLC a la Map Packs. Every other Multiplayer shooter game that does that shit splits the community (usually because next year they're going to launch another title in the same franchise a year later).

It's all but impossible for them to implement any model well. Other than just providing new heroes, maps and game modes on a slow and steady release over a few years to the people who paid for it, that's the least cancerous, most simple and easiest way to support the game. But it doesn't earn them sheckels so you sure as shit know they ain't gonna do that.

Again, Blizz don't deserve the benefit of the doubt to do this shit right.

>>318398816
Played a bunch at a friends house and at multiple conventions, it's good, but they got a lot of shit to sort out, especially on PC with a price tag in this day and age (I support it because i hate BRs but it could fuck them over since most of the games competition is F2P shit).
>>
I didn't get invited and not very interested anymore
>>
>>318397510
He's not saying the tick rate is an artistic choice

You guys are dumb holy shit

But on the other hand, saying the tick rate is very high is just fucking atrocious.
>>
>>318398987
>D3
Factually inaccurate.

>SC2
It's like 5 years old and the RTS market is almost nonexistent.

>HotS
Also incorrect. It isn't doing LoL numbers obviously, but it is a financial success for blizzard.
>WoW
Gee, a 12 year old game that STILL makes 75 million dollars a month on subscription fees alone isn't as big as it was 12 years ago. I wonder why.

You people are so out of touch with reality it's unbelievable. Just because WoW doesn't have 11m subscribers anymore, doesn't mean it's a dead game.
>>
>>318397510
>>318399395
But desu i get the feeling this guy is just a community manager and has no idea what he's talking about
>>
>>318398751
This. You have mobile as fuck abilities and characters like Tracer/Widowmaker, and you opt for such a low ass tick rate where it punishes them.
>>
File: dedcompany.png (89 KB, 1070x629) Image search: [Google]
dedcompany.png
89 KB, 1070x629
>>318399502
reminder that /v/ is always right
>thats just Activision
yeah because this totally reflects their yearly releases with CoD's dwindling reputation and one Skylander game. Not to mention Guitar Hero Live being a flop.
>>
>>318397186
Consoles.
>>
They're going to be caught between a rock and a hard place, honestly.

All the E-sports fags will absolutely DESTROY the game when asked about it, because it's an utter joke that takes no skill. And if they try and appeal to that crowd, the millions of 12 year olds they want to attract casually will turn off in seconds.

So basically, you end up with a very unstable community of children and an entirely fabricated E-sports scene made out of popular streamers.

This worked for HS, but that's because there was nobody around to really shit-talk a children's card game. In the competitive FPS community, there are already heavy hitters, and not a single one of those players will switch because it'll actively decrease their skill to be playing a game that will inevitably devolve into forced auto-aim.

The pay 2 play model was clearly chosen as a last minute "shit, all projections say this game is going to fail, let's make some quick money and run".
>>
>>318397186
>funded on the vague idea of a "TF2-killer"
>"MOBAs are popular lets add MOBA mechanics"
>Characters all look like they're from different games
>Characters break the silhouette rule: You should be able to tell what you're dealing with by their silhouette alone
>Shooter balanced around console play
>Shooter balanced around casual play
>Ult meters receive no penalty from death, so the obvious meta is to have your team build all your ults and go for one massive push
>20 tick/cmdrate instead of 100
>massive aim-assist and interp
What didn't go wrong
>>
>>318399802
how do you make your ass so loose that you can manage to shit out all those words and manage to not say anything right?
>>
>>318398695
>WAH WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR A VIDEO GAME WAH WAH
>>
>I didn't get into the beta, so therefore this game sucks: the thread
>>
>>318400104
Why would you pay for it if you could play a similar game with a larger community and more content for free?
>>
File: laugh attack 2.gif (3 MB, 270x332) Image search: [Google]
laugh attack 2.gif
3 MB, 270x332
>>318399802
Why do you think they need to attract CSGO players? Blizzard makes their own esports scene.

Also,
>"shit, all projections say this game is going to fail
pic related
>>
>>318399395
if you make the artistic choice to have mutual kills and your artistic choice necessitates a 20 tickrate THEN BY FUCKING LOGIC 20 tickrate is also an artistic choice
>>
>>318400252

>Blizzard makes their own esports scene.

Like the amazingly popular Heroes of the Storm?

kek
>>
File: Overwatch FOV comparison .jpg (2 MB, 1920x2160) Image search: [Google]
Overwatch FOV comparison .jpg
2 MB, 1920x2160
>>318397186
>Modern Blizzard
>Shitty tf2 clone
>20 tick server (most modern FPS's run on 120+)
>$40+ price tag with a cash shop on a game that should be f2p
>60FOV was locked until 6+ months of testing. Only happened because of extreme backlash. Blizzard didnt want it to have one at all and force 60 FOV
>Annoying voices and reload animations (I AM DEATH! I AM DEATH! I AM DEATH!)
>Console focus
I could go on, but this is damning enough.
>>
>>318400439
no, like the amazingly popular Hearthstone :^)
>>
It's a MOBA with an FPS flavor

dunno where all this "shooter of the year" bullshit is coming from
>>
File: 15324.jpg (231 KB, 627x502) Image search: [Google]
15324.jpg
231 KB, 627x502
>>318397510
Tell me more
>>
>>318400658
You played it? It's fun, way better than CoD and Battlefront and the other shit shooters that get pushed out yearly.
>>
>>318400480

I completely agree with what that image is showing but then I see the Scout and realise that TF2 is dead and always will be dead.

Its awful but Valve are never going to make anything ever again. Why bother when you can just take some marketplace shit and make money from it.
>>
>>318400213
Maybe you like the community and don't like micro-transactions for weapons and LOL HATZ.
>>
Just the tickrate, when I played during the weekend it was pretty noticeable dying after peaking around corners a couple times.
Besides that I'm glad they're making it b2p with all new heroes + maps included. Much better than the shitty f2p model that lol popularized
>>
File: 1408163046645.gif (492 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1408163046645.gif
492 KB, 460x345
>>318400913
>I play TF2 for the community
>>
>>318400480
>>Annoying voices and reload animations (I AM DEATH! I AM DEATH! I AM DEATH!)

That's an annoying side effect of the success of MOBAs

classes and grunts are out, it's all about "champions" and "heroes" now

Enjoy the forced backstory
>>
Nothing has gone wrong my friend, because the game is not out yet. If anything, they are probably having a big success with the pre-orders.

But who knows.
>>
>>318400213
Id rather buy a game and be able to play it how and when I want than be keked into grinding hundreds of hours to 'unlock' all the content or pay a ridiculous amount to unlock content or just speed up the grind.
>>
File: 1447842749301.jpg (23 KB, 250x418) Image search: [Google]
1447842749301.jpg
23 KB, 250x418
>>318400913
Something tells me you didnt know about the cosmetic store overwatch is gonna have.
>>
>>318398816
the game feels really repetitive after a while, few maps, I'm sure as fuck Blizzard is not going to allow custom maps, only two gamemodes... etc

It's not worth 40$ right now
>>
>>318401274
Are you in the actual beta or the weekend beta?
>>
>>318401236
Skins != weapons, hats, badges, weapon naming shit, whatever the fuck else.
>>
>>318397515
when you play Reinhardt you spend a ton of time in 3rd person
not that he's getting a release skin though
>>
>>318401338
closed
>>
>>318398816
part of the beta since the 2nd wave
played for around 180h and I feel really burned out

this >>318398751 is suprisingly accurate
>>
File: 1448166970937.jpg (11 KB, 296x183) Image search: [Google]
1448166970937.jpg
11 KB, 296x183
>>318401435
>Cosmetics are different from cosmetics
>>
>>318401576
They are, you idiot. First of all, microtransactions for weapons is borderline unforgivable, and selling lots of different little cosmetics fucks with the visual design of the game. Full skins are much better for keeping the visuals consistent. Hats killed TF2.
>>
>>318401554
180h for $40? And people are complaining about this price point?
>>
>>318399205
>they didn't pay any streamer

Utterly false:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7omcfb5Ttf0

These faggots were flown to Blizzard HQ so they could get them to shill for the game.
>>
The thing that irritates me the most about Overwatch is that there is a fucking tonne of classes that I have never really seen in a FPS before.

Playing a Lucio is so much more fun than being a healer in pretty much ever other fucking game. Junkrat is a better Demoman than Demoman. Fuck even the Soldier is more fun than any CoD released in the past fucking forever. Even Monkey Trouble is a blast. So yeah the whole game could die and Cash store and tic rate and blah blah blah.

So me a class where I can shield other players and the damage those players receive is directly turned into increased weapon damage. Massively encouraging you to offensive and right at the front line with your team.
>>
File: 1446197114037.png (28 KB, 335x506) Image search: [Google]
1446197114037.png
28 KB, 335x506
>>318401979
You can craft all weapons, All weapons drop and you can trade for ones you want right then and there.
As for the other, cosmetics are cosmetics. No 2 ways about it. The ONLY different is in TF2, dota, and others that let you mix and match, your character looks how you want and you turn out unique. In overwatch, and every other moba that took after LoL, you have skin A, Skin B, Skin C, etc. You dont look unique, you look like you blew X amount on the store.
>>
>>318397186
It's a 5v5 "balanced for competitive play" autism magnet that will most likely end in bringing a MOBA-like audience to an fps just like CS:GO did. If they had just made it a pub game to run around in, it might have actually been fun because at that point you don't have to constantly worry about what shitters you're going to get stuck with.
>>
>>318399876
Pretty much this. You forgot to mention the complete lack of community building and forced matchmaking.
>>
>>318400760
>mediocrity is better than shit

I agree with you.
>>
>>318397515
people are fucking retarded
>>
>>318402265

Both of those things are fucking terrible. One effectively killed a game that was almost perfect before hand.

TF2 is a fucking disaster zone now because its almost impossible to know what weapons anyone has at any given moment, so its just a race to spam the most spam. Not that it was not that from the start anyway but fuck in Vanilla you had the knowledge that a soldier had a rocket launcher, a shotgun and a spade. Job fucking done you can go from there.

>>318402580

Hurr let me do my taunt animation. Hurr let me take a screenshot for my Seam Friends, hurr fucking durr.
>>
>>318402709
Thats fine if you dont like new weapons and added longevity. Thats fine if you dont like cosmetics at all. They have servers for that and it fills that niche. I dont see the point in bitching about things that are when they have plenty of servers to cater to the things that where. Its not like WoW where its forcibly WoD and the only option to go back to the "good times" is a private crack server.

Theres nothing wrong with catering to both sides.
>>
>>318400253
Read
>>318399560
An actual dev wouldn't call it an "artistic choice"
>>
>>318403198

The last time I checked to try and find a pure Vanilla server I came up with fuck all.

Thats when I uninstalled.
>>
>>318397186
not giving out beta with pre-orders
>>
File: 1445795276875.jpg (62 KB, 800x678) Image search: [Google]
1445795276875.jpg
62 KB, 800x678
>>318403431
Sounds like a personal problem to me.

I dont mind the cosmetics or the new guns. The gameplay is still the same as when it launched and just as hectic. The maps are usually well made, it has a huge community and its as alive as ever.

Its a personal preference.
>>
not enough tracer desu
>>
>>318403771

Really?

What was this thread about again. Oh yeah :^)
>>
>>318403771
>the gameplay is still the same as when it launched
confirmed for never played at launch
>>
File: 1404120490700.jpg (80 KB, 1140x475) Image search: [Google]
1404120490700.jpg
80 KB, 1140x475
>>318397186
20 TICK
>20 TICK
20 TICK
>20 TICK
20 TICK
>20 TICK
>>
>>318403951
I preordered the orange box and played in the beta up until launch and put another 4k hours post launch. Are you saying the gameplay has somehow changed with hats?
>>
You know what I really fucking hate. More than almost anything else ever? The idea that you are not allowed to play any other game if there is a better one in the same genre.

Why would you play X when Z is out and better? I don't know because I fucking want to and I enjoy it? Its new? Its not the samething I have been playing for the past however long?

Because its not CS cunting GO?
>>
>>318400658
>It's a MOBA with an FPS flavor
Literally the only thing they have in common is a diverse cast of playable characters with different play styles. I guess all fighting games are MOBAs too.
>>
>>318398626
>Quake
>Unreal Tournament
>TF2
>Battlefield
>CS

Those were all P2P and lasted many years. It is also a Blizzard game.
>>
>>318404207

sup

>>318402709
>>318403431

Those are me, I too did exactly the same as you, including running a half decently popular community server for a forum I used to post on. As someone that pretty much has been there since beta you can not tell me that the quality of the gameplay did not take a massive hit from the extra weapons, and then the earbud fiasco and then again when it went free and the lastly the bullet through the head that was a awful fucking trading, fake economy.

Each time the players got worse, each time people get more distracted, each time the core game was effected and its values were diluted. Silhouettes are not fucked, movement speed and balance between the classes are fucked. Everything is garish and in-jokey and fucked.

Fuck TF2, fuck what happened to TF2 and most importantly fuck what the popularity of the system it created did to Valve.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.