[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the best way to git gud?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
File: usfiv-bradygames-app-4-622.jpg (167 KB, 622x320) Image search: [Google]
usfiv-bradygames-app-4-622.jpg
167 KB, 622x320
Whats the best way to git gud?
>>
Practice and play a lot.
>>
>>318385457
>ryu
It's in the fucking poster.
>>
File: 1422998903691.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1422998903691.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2000
Try to find multiple players as shit as you and pool into a thinktank. Learn as beginner, don't try to learn as something you are not.

You want a win:loss rate close to 50% having it too high means you aint learning shit and too low means you aren't being given the opportunity to try things out.

Don't spam shit when you get scared, those are bad habits you'll waste time to get rid of later should you want to stick with the game.

True American SF style is playing the match up/counterpicking/ reacting to what is happening on the screen only.Japanese style is jewy shit like trying to "download" the opponent's tendencies. All the kids these days prefer the latter because skinny chinks are their gods.
>>
>>318387453
There's some good and some terrible advice in here

You don't want to practice with someone on your level, you want to practice with someone better. Practicing with other bad players will only cement bad habits and you'll all hit a wall very quickly.

Learn your characters normals and spacing, learn how to anti-air without using a special, learn what your character's pokes are, and learn what your character's easy confirms are so you're always doing decent damage when you get a hit. Learn what your character's oki game is.
>>
>>318385457
play the game and not make shit threads
>>
Should I buy this video game during the current Steam sale?

I'm afraid that I might be too late with Street Fighter V coming out so soon and all
>>
>>318388814
Unless you're big into SF4 already you're probably better off waiting for SFV in February.
>>
File: 1421901255925.png (505 KB, 620x639) Image search: [Google]
1421901255925.png
505 KB, 620x639
>>318388630

The idea is to move on to people as good as you the better you think you get. I didn't write that down because it should be a given.
>>
>>318389427
But again: that's wrong.

Playing with people on your level and trying to move up is incredibly slow because you're going to spend most of your time building bad habits exploiting things your similarly-skilled opponents don't understand, then un-learning those habits when you move up and learning NEW bad habits, and so on.

If you start by training with someone who knows what they're doing you'll skip 90% of that redundancy and go straight to building GOOD habits.
>>
>>318385457
Learn the basic mechanics of the game and how it works

Pick up a character you like

Learn their move list. Practice inputting commands so you can do them the instant you need to.

Make note of what to do in certain situations with said character I.E: Defense, How to offense correctly, spacing/zoning tools etc

Apply what you have learned to actual matches

I feel like all this is a solid starting point for most fighting games out there.
>>
STEPS TO GETTING GOOD:
1. Pick a basic character. Some great examples are Shotoclones (Ryu, Ken, Akuma, though note that some are more complicated than others, such as Akuma.)
2. Learn and practice button combos and inputs. Being able to Shoryuken and Hadouken easily is imperiative to being able to fight back.
3. Practice with your character. Playing fighting games is not like riding a bike- you forget stuff very easily. Learn everything about your dude- his "normals" (basic attacks) his throws, which moves are good for what situation.
4. Experiment. Look at situations in which certain attacks are useful. Know when to Jumping Hard Kick and when to Standing Medium Punch. Know when to Hard Shoryuken and when to Light Shoryuken.
5. Fight against others.

There you go my brother, good luck
>>
File: ryu-cvs-bust.png (392 KB, 512x602) Image search: [Google]
ryu-cvs-bust.png
392 KB, 512x602
>>318385457
knowledge is such an important aspect to fighting games. especially USFIV where people have been playing SFIV for years, where there are a shit ton of matchups and where that ONE bit of information can be the deciding factor of the match.

Knowledge and experience. Learn as much as you can... know the games mechanics... learn frame data... and most importantly play a lot but don't burn yourself out.
>>
Play Hakan
>>
>>318385457
>playing fighters for children
>>
File: 1357019968478.jpg (33 KB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
1357019968478.jpg
33 KB, 250x233
>do challenge mode to learn combos
>watch USF4 tourney
>nobody uses combos ever
>some guy won by spamming the same attack
>>
File: 1441242920895.jpg (34 KB, 960x731) Image search: [Google]
1441242920895.jpg
34 KB, 960x731
>>318385457
>>318385457
>>318385457
The best way to improve your skill, OP, is to play against people of the same skill as yourself or people that are slightly better. Not only does this give you the drive to improve but a loss doesn't feel hopeless. You know that if you didn't drop that one combo or learned to block that one mix up you could have won.
>>
>>318385457
Wait for V to come out
>>
>>318391248
>Nobody uses combos ever
ummmmmmmmmmm lol?
>>
>>318391248
That's because the higher end combos are difficult as fuck to do and even if you could do them with ease the enemy needs to be in the corner most of the time and the damage these combos do is not worth the meter.
>>
>>318391326
>play people your same skill level
Wrong
>>
File: 555.jpg (26 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
555.jpg
26 KB, 600x375
>>318391248
>>nobody uses combos ever

yeah you clearly haven't watched much high level play then.,..
>>
>>318385457
1k hours in USF4 here. Move on to SFV you retard, don't try to get gud in a dead game.
>>
>>318385457
Dont, play third strike, super turbo or V.

SF4 is a shit game
>>
>>318391248
HHIRING
>>
>>318391503
USFIV is going to live on past SFV's release in the same way LITERALLY EVERY OTHER iteration has.

There's no reason to stop playing SFIV right now. especially when SFV doesn't come out for 3 more months.

>>318391548
>play ST or 3s
>SFIV is shit

how can be say this unironically?
you don't mind the random damage/stun and other misc. bullshit in ST but SFIV's bullshit is too much for you?

why do I always get the feeling that SFIV detractors are just shit at the game?
>>
>>318391462
>09er detected
>>
>>318391695
>USFIV is going to live on past SFV's release in the same way LITERALLY EVERY OTHER iteration has.
Barely anyone still plays SF2 competitively, SF3 is only played in FightCade, same with Alpha. Stop taking your data points from /v/.
>>
File: 1427119285102.jpg (221 KB, 1454x1320) Image search: [Google]
1427119285102.jpg
221 KB, 1454x1320
Does PC online still lag a fuckton?
I've tried a while ago and I usually get yellow opponents, very rare to get greens.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
>>
>>318391721
Enjoy building bad habits, I'll be over here playing people I know are better than me and actually improving.
>>
>>318391695
It won't, people are gonna flock to V.

4 was already disliked on release and even on it's final iteration, ultra, everyone is already sick of it and feels like killing themselves with elena out of the ass, it was just embraced since the high sales got fighting games back.
>>318391762
Super turbo is still played, still has main stage evo.
Third strike is played a lot in japan and europe.
>>
I'm guessing it's impossible to get really good by just "playing" right?

I played SF4 quite a bit, but I felt like I hit a plateau pretty early. It feels like you can't get gud at fighting games unless you actually research into combos/frames/techs/etc.
>>
>>318391930
>Third strike is played a lot in japan and europe.
I'm european and you're full of shiiiiiit
>>
>>318391991
Stop being a fucking online warrior
>>
>>318387453
>ewy shit like trying to "download" the opponent's tendencies
You got some tendencies too, buddy. Gay tendencies. LOL
>>
>>318391762
because they're old as fuck and have had a lot of time to die off... hell, only recently have some of the 3s gods from Japan started taking SFIV more seriously.

you'd have to be retarded to not think USFIV is going to still get played. it's GOING to be at tournaments. yes SFV is going to be the main focus but USFIV is still going to get played.

it's not about "taking data points" from anywhere... it's just logical.

>>318391930
I can guarantee you we'll still see USFIV at tournaments for well over a year after SFV is released. there's no point in even trying to argue against this.

>>318391935
no but obviously it's going to be much harder if you're unwilling to learn OUTSIDE of actually playing. I attribute my success in the game to learning a lot OUTSIDE of playing.

knowledge is power.
>>
>>318392031
Funny that you bring online warriors up, that's the only scene 3S and Alpha have
>>
>>318392106
>you'd have to be retarded to not think USFIV is going to still get played.
For a year, tops, and only so they can scam more money. I played SFV for a couple dozen hours last beta and it's infinitely better than the current 4 meta.
>>
>>318392106
USF4 is already about to be dropped from evo, it's really questionable.
Maybe it will, but a year seems way too much
>>
>>318391935
>I played SF4 quite a bit, but I felt like I hit a plateau pretty early. It feels like you can't get gud at fighting games unless you actually research into combos/frames/techs/etc.
You need to be more critical about what you're doing while playing. I found that when I hit that point it was literally just a matter of calming down and spending most of the fight holding down-back and being reactive and predictive rather than trying to always be on the offensive. Just that one change made me change half of my losses into wins instantly.
>>
>>318392195
there won't be much money in it and people will still sign up.

>>318392205
lol yeah because they're worried about the logistics of it and how organizing both SFV and USFIV will go when thousands of people would enter BOTH.
>>
>>318385457
Learn the fundamentals to be prepared for SFV, don't bother with option selects, setups and specific gameplay mechanic such as the Focus Attack, it will give you bad habits in other games ( there was a match between Poongko and Infiltration where they were mashing crouch tech in front of each other in SFV, wish I had saved the webm ).

Pick a basic character, most of the characters that got into SFV are good to learn the game with ( Claw and Dhalsim are way harder to play though ), however you pick, I recommend to have Ryu as a secondary character, he's great to learn the game with and you can play him decently with only a few of his tools.

Improve your execution, use challenges and training mode to this effect, you don't want to miss your inputs or drop your combos in a match.

Watch some high level play and try to understand what they are doing and why.

You will lose. A lot. It happens to everybody, just take some time to understand why you lost.

Go to your local scene ( or any place near you where people play fighting games, such as e-sport bars ), that's where you're going to improve, don't hesitate to ask for advices there, fighting game players are generally nice to beginners.

Also, it might sounds cliché as fuck, but have fun, take a break when you begin to get frustrated or salty.
>>
If you wanna play online just save yourself the trouble and play 3s instead or wait for sf5

Netcode after it moved from GFWL to steamworks has become abysmal, playing USF4 online is absolute suffering.
>>
>>318392487
Which makes no fucking sense to me. Fuck organizing, if I was Mr. wizard and I was dipping my hand into the pot I'd be all over another thousand entrants.
>>
>>318392205
>dropping one of the most popular titles of your event for its unestablished sequel
Good strategy.
>>
>>318392628
as greedy as that fat fuck is he still obviously wants the tournament to run smoothly or this wouldn't even be a point of discussion. having 2000+ people running back and forth between USFIV and SFV setups could potentially be very fucking messy.
>>
>>318392746
Just make USF4 a day 2 event.
>>
>>318392818
if it were that simple this wouldn't be a discussion. I'm sure time is a major factor that they're considering.
>>
>>318392941
Or maybe it's Sony wanting to push a new console/game.
>>
>>318391915
>my first game was sf4
>trust me though im the best
>i only play people better than myself!
>everyone is better than me though
>>
>>318385457
Main Ryu for a while to pick up fundamentals and then pick a main based on your style of play.

Or main Dan "The Man" Hibiki.
>>
>>318392690
Since Marvel's rapid decline in interest last year it is now the most popular game at EVO. The question is if they should have two SF games as mainstage events. I personally think that putting a game on the main stage because it's from a different developer is stupid. The most popular ones should there.
>>
>>318392690
evo is all about hype and moments, 4 and v base will be a huge if not almost total overlap.
Not to mention that any pushing for V will do nothing but make the game better
>>
>>318393528
The best idea would be to put both on this year, see how it pans out and drop the less popular one.

But Wizard wants that autism money so it looks like he's planning on having two Smash games.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.