[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to improve on or expand the mechanics of Mirror's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Mirror's_Edge_2.jpg (397 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Mirror's_Edge_2.jpg
397 KB, 1920x1080
Is it possible to improve on or expand the mechanics of Mirror's Edge in a sequel? If so, how?

The reboot will be made in a new or updated graphics engine and offer a new story. It could also be seen as a map pack.

Can the underlying mechanics evolve, though, like they do in new titles in other platforming sagas like Mario, Megaman, Rayman, etc, where new platforms, enemies and moves for the character can be added and taken away?

I don't think so. Mirror's Edge is more rooted in reality. The environment pieces are pipes (horizontal or vertical), ropes, slopes, walls and floors. They are all static.

Dynamic scenery is the key, I think. Platforms that can move, rotate, fall, react to your jumps, movements, position on the platform itself, etc.

Innovative enemies are also important, but they don't really fit into ME.

I can't see a way of this game being innovative in any way because it is limited by its own design.
>>
Sure they can. There's always more parkour moves you can do you couldn't in Mirror's Edge.
>>
>>318378835
Like what?
>>
>>318379021
double jump
>>
>>318379510
lol
>>
>>318379510
wut?
>>
Mirror's Edge 2 is going to be watered-down trash. Save this poster.
>>
File: mirrorsedge.jpg (329 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mirrorsedge.jpg
329 KB, 1920x1080
>>318377937
we can already tell from gameplay footage that some areas have been improved, since we can see new parkour moves (eg the vertical pipe swing)

since its in a new engine, I doubt the game plays exactly the same as ME1 (ie different momentum, acceleration, physics, animations, camera) but I doubt we'll really be able to tell whether it's better or worse until we get our hands on the games. The reviewers seem to think its pretty good so far, but most reviewers didn't understand the first game so I'd take their opinions with a hefty dose of salt. only review I've seen where I felt they had played a lot of the first game made it seemed like its decent, but not quite as good as the first game in regards to the above criteria.

another thing to consider is that the levels may simply of a better or worse quality. By adding more paths, and making them more difficult DICE could improve the quality by giving more depth to replay, or make it worse by simplifying paths and reducing their number. Open world has a lot of potential to be amazing or utterly horrible.

finally, ME:C could do some abstract stuff like with the original's DLC, which would allow them to break away from reality for a bit and interesting stuff like dynamic scenery
>>
>>318377937
How about some decent fucking hand to hand combat.

Game's made so that you don't have to shoot a gun but hand to hand is such a pain in the ass to use.

Also make small changes so that the momentum flows better, I always cringe a little when I have to hit a pole to swing on or something since the transition into it is so jarring.
>>
honestly, i just want catalyst to be decent. they needed to fix the combat and do fewer claustrophobic indoors environments. sounds like the first one's been fixed and hopefully they'll just let us go fast (without having to replay and memorise levels).

after that they can strap rockets to a bionic faith for all i care.
>>
>>318380497
This, they will go hard out for story and forget about gameplay
>>
File: 1340217983822.jpg (124 KB, 677x546) Image search: [Google]
1340217983822.jpg
124 KB, 677x546
>>318377937
>and offer a new story
No shit. Shill detected.
>>
>>318382285
>OP concludes that game won't be an improvement over its predecessor
>call him a shill

newfag, please
>>
>>318377937
Like add more environmental objects that could delay her enemies or she could acquire some smoke or flash grenades whenever she knocks out normal enemies and later use it to delay enemy runners.
>>
>>318377937
Mirror's Edge 2 will be a third-person cover shooter.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.