[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>cast Analyze on a Gremlin >weak to water and blunt >put
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: 61KPFN43GSL.jpg (75 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
61KPFN43GSL.jpg
75 KB, 500x497
>cast Analyze on a Gremlin
>weak to water and blunt
>put water and evil affinity gems in my Bec De Corbin, second best mace in the game
>barely do any damage
What is this trickery?

Also, I've found some wine bottles in Iron Maiden "dungeon". What do they do? Should I use them?
>>
It's called "The game hates you,"
>>
>>318368251
The same thing happened before with Imp, who belong to the same family of enemies as Gremlins, I must note.
They're weak to light and edged attacks, and first time when I used my silver sword on them it did nothing. Although now I can two-three hit them with the very same silver sword.

In some other game, I'd assume some additional modifier based on level difference, but there is no traditional leveling system in VS.
>>
>>318369453
your weapon is shit
your weapon has no DP, or low PP
you're not chaning
you're not buffing and debuffing

the list goes on famm
>>
>>318369453
>based on level difference, but there is no traditional leveling system in VS.
I think each individual point in your stats has a bigger effect than one might expect on your damage. If you look at magic is starts off pretty weak, with only the spells an enemy is weak to doing proper damage, while on your second or third run you can oneshot most shit with one spell.
>>
>>318371393
>your weapon has no DP
Actually, I rarely bother to look at the weapon's durability. But I repair every now and then, and use Temper in my chains, so unless they degrade as fast as in fucking Dark Souls 2, I should be okay.
>or low PP
Does it have any effect on weapon damage? I thought it's only used for that Phantom Pain attack I'll never get in my first playthrough.
Should I use Instill?
>>
>>318367151
The game is designed to have frustrating combat

This is enhanced by the art design which ensures you'll barely ever have a fucking clue what is happening on screen
>>
I remember playing this when I was younger.
Got into a fight with a Wyvern.
I could only damage it through chaining, all my weapons would deal 0 damage.
And that's when I learned how to master chaining.
>>
>>318371645
It's not really frustrating if you don't just blindly hit enemies with whatever weapon you happen to be holding in your hands at the moment.
My problem is that even after casting analyze and knowing exactly what the enemy is weak to, the damage was quite low.
Also, sometimes enemy chain resistance seems inconsistent. Do "dead" body parts auto block all chain attacks or something?
>>
>>318371621
>make sure affinities are right
>make sure weapon is repaired
>buff(elemental weapon+ or herakles(prostasia if you don't have it yet) and debuff(Degenerate or tarnish)

if this doesn't work, just cheese it with the drain PP + release PP chain

failing that, go chill in the workshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiPomfq9UKs
>>
>>318371956
I'd say that a dead bodypart does not take additional damage.
>>
>>318371919
That approach is gonna get you killed.
Chaining 0 damage attacks means your risk will skyrocket. And at high risk you take much more damage. Any multi-hit spell would most probably one-shot you.
I find Crimson Pain very effective in this cases. Stay at low-mid risk at half health and you can consistently damage any enemy regardless of their resistances, whithout much risk of getting insta-killed yourself.
>>
who killed ashleys wife and child /v/? bandits? himself? or himself while brainwashed by the VKP?

OP don't read if it's your first playthrough

Also, find a flaw

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAe0ow7EEPc
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 1248x1504) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 1248x1504
>>318367151
>Playing VS
>Literally no blunt weapons have been dropped by enemies since the beginning of the game
Why does this game hate me so?
>>
>>318372717
Well, I'm at 66% into the game or so, or at least my map % is.
So that part of the story already came up a couple of times.
>>318372807
Maces and axes are lumped together for some fucking reason in this game. So half of the weapons that have an icon that looks like an axe, are actually blunt. You might have overlooked that.
>>
>>318373008
>Maces and axes are lumped together for some fucking reason in this game.
Movesets.
>>
>>318372807
>Have several types of Pierced/Edged
>SOme some reason only found one blunt weapon and no other enemy ever dropped one
>Have to use it causing Weapon affinities to be pathetically average
>Still no idea how to craft

I think I spoiled the game anyway but one day I'll finish it.
>>
>>318373008
Actually I was kinda lying when I said there has been no blunt drops
But the only one handed blunt weapon I have is the Tovaresh you get at the beginning so that counts I suppose
>>
>>318373094
What about them?
The absorbing attacks with maces still use slashing animations.
>>
>>318373224
From what I've heard, using two handed weapons in this game is really bad idea. Since shield provides defense for every body part on multi-hits attacks, so getting hit by a spell, when two-handing is a death sentence, or something like that.
>>
>>318373353
yeah, I know about that from a nice fellow anon, which is why I specified that there hasn't been any Blunt drops
>>
>12
>Playing the game blind
>Still manage to beat it

Holy fuck, how are you guys so bad at this?
>>
File: aaaa.png (87 KB, 210x314) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.png
87 KB, 210x314
>>318373441
I guess you're just better at video games than me, anon!
>>
>>318373441
>so bad at this
OP here. I'm not really complaining about difficulty. In fact, so far I've found the game to be really easy. I'm just wondering about the game mechanics.
>>
I've run into this problem myself tons of times. I always switch to the weapon i specifically designed to deal with some monsters and it just does nothing.
>>
>>318367151
Single digits give more atk than you'd expected them to
If you have trouble over enemies, try casting an affinity spell on your weapon
>>
>>318371645
>This is enhanced by the art design which ensures you'll barely ever have a fucking clue what is happening on screen
????
>>
>>318373235
That's what I mean. They lumped them together because they share everything but the edge but some moves just don't fit a blunt weapon. But from a design perspective it makes sense since you can have slashing and stabbing sword, but never a blunt axe or slashing club. So axes and clubs are one category.
>>
>>318374091
One handed axes and maces use attack animations with one handed swords. Rapier, one of the rare thrusting swords (if not the only one), uses the same animations as well. As do daggers.
>>
>>318374189
Oh, forgot to add, fucking Staves have a stabbing animation on their drain type chain attacks.
>>
>>318374189
Didn't they have different special attacks? I don't remember all that much anymore. Last time I played the game was before Dark Soul's release.
>>
>>318374290
They have different Break Arts, maces and swords I mean, maces and axes have the same ones.
And break arts can have pretty random attack types. I think the first Dagger Break Art you unlock does blunt damage.
>>
>>318374250
Well, you can hit someone with a stave doing a stabbing motion. It still hurts.
>>
>>318374427
Not by much, unless it's a sharpened staff.
>>
>>318374576
You could say that for everything a staff does.
>>
>>318374920
What would you use a staff for other than conjuring magic?
>>
>>318375283
Are you serious, anon?
Why do you think staves exist in real life where there is no magic?
>>
>>318375283
the 2nd break art reduces risk. it also looks pimpin as hell to beat someone to death with
>>
>>318375379
You implying magic isn't real?
>>
>>318374576
there are martial arts that make good use of staves, and even in the west it has been a staple weapon of travellers
>>
>>318375743
Well, that's rather interesting.
has a game ever combined a magic unit/character to use their staff as a martial arts weapon, then?
>>
>The Last Remnant, Vagrant Story and Valkyrie Profile on my to play list
>don't wanna use guides
This shit is killing me.
>>
>>318375743
Portugal even has an old martial art based on fighting with a staff named Jogo do Pau.
>>
>>318372807
You get a blunt weapon before the Golem fight, which the game basically forces upon you since you do piss poor damage otherwise.
>>
>on wyvern
>0 damage
>having to chain
>100 risk
>run out of vera items

JUST
>>
>>318375528
>the 2nd break art reduces risk
It wasn't as good as I thought it is. The attack has to connect with the enemy to drop risk, which is basically impossible on high risk. And it doesn't clear it all, only like 13 per use.
>>
>>318376269
How do you guys manage to be so bad?
The only problem I had with the bosses so far was dark elemental. Only because I tried to level up my physical staff's light affinity on him.
>>
>>318376269
>chaining so hard that early
I didn't even have to chain much until I reached the cathedral.

I wish it hadn't been over 12 years since I played this game so I could help people on it.
>>
>>318372259
That song still haunts me to this day, hours and hours crafting...
Awesome song
>>
>>318376269
Just change your weapon attribute and add a Dragonite gem to it
If you have Analyze then cast that and cast the appropriate attribute to your weapon
>>
Affinity matters a TON. No to to mention that one weapon can raise two affinities, but only if the affinities are a few spots below each other on the list. So ideally you have ~3 weapons with different affinity pairs (Human/Beast, Undead/Phantom, and Dragon/Evil). Later in the game you get gems for each affinity so you keep weapon types, then switch gems on the fly to suit your needs. Early game, however, affinity nets you really helpful damage bonuses. You can even beat on the first dummy with the scimitar to get a high Human affinity off the bat.
>>
>>318377056
Those are classes, not affinities. And classes are way less important than affinity.
>>
>>318377228
Shit yeah, it's been a minute since I played and kept using affinity when I meant Type in the middle sentences. My mistake. Last one is still true though, gems can overcompensate for a lot.
>>
>>318377543
Type is blunt/edged/piercing.
>>
>>318377595
>My reading comprehension and memory
Time for bed
>>
Bump from the dead
>>
Does the NG+ expand on the story in any way, or is it just more weapon crafting and optional bosses?
>>
>>318381131
you can go to iron maiden B2 and B3, and can get many rare items.
>>
>>318374010
Yeah, had no clue what the nigga meant. Unless he meant that you'll be so distracted by the beautiful art design, that you'll lose track on what you were doing.
>>
>>318382214
He probably meant the spell animations.
I always fail the guard QTEs vs magic, despite seeing the same animation many times before.
>>
>>318381131
It's just to get stronger, get the boss rush and the Iron Maiden. Sadly no optional ending like in Parasite Eve.
>>
File: 1409720939348.jpg (9 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1409720939348.jpg
9 KB, 184x184
>Risk Points
>>
I have been meaning to try this, but you all make this game sound like anti-fun.
>>
>>318382591
Play first Parasite Eve instead.
>>
File: VSchartWepn.jpg (793 KB, 2403x1719) Image search: [Google]
VSchartWepn.jpg
793 KB, 2403x1719
>>318382591
It depends on your definition of fun.
It's not like your standard JRPG, or an action RPG.
Its gameplay is rather unique. But it has nice story, setting and music for you to enjoy as well. It's a pretty stylish game too.
>>
>>318382591
It's like a D&D game. It takes some getting used to, fidling with the menus and reading a manual but once you know enough it's a lot of fun.
>>
This game really needed "remove gems from all weapons" and "save/load attached gems" options.
Otherwise you have to spend 50% time in the menus, swapping gems, if you want your weapon to perform optimally against the enemy.
>>
>replayed it recently cause i forgot the plot
>it was utter shit
No wonder I forgot. Even nostalgia didnt save this one.
>>
>>318382497
Risk is absolutely fine, it just assume you're lowering it with items so no hoarding, you little shit.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.