[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is currently 80% off on Steam. I enjoyed it thoroughly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: 1426380856537.jpg (252 KB, 1663x881) Image search: [Google]
1426380856537.jpg
252 KB, 1663x881
This is currently 80% off on Steam.

I enjoyed it thoroughly and it may be one of the best single-A (or double-A, depending on how you look at it) game of the year.

So I am going to advise you buy it.
>>
What kind of game is it and what do you like about it?

Why are the Steam reviews mixed?
>>
File: 1438313734612.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1438313734612.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>318364403

It is a western SRPG. And I mean SRPG in the most hardcore sense. This game will beat your ass.

That being said, I liked it because every time you fail and fuck up, it's entirely your own fault. Even the most far-fetched extra objective can easily be achieved with almost all combinations of character builds if you're willing to adjust.

It has a very nice character-customization system, with a lot of depth to it, and plenty of characters to customize. It also did away with the major problem of the first game (which before you ask, no you don't have to play), like the incredibly high chance to miss an attack.

The review are mixed because it had Bethesda-tier bugs on release and it appeals to an incredibly niche audience. People who like hard and autism-like deep customization.

They have patched it to hell and back and I didn't find a single bug in my 38 hours thus far so most of it is fixed.

I also really liked the story, but that's subjective as all hell.
>>
>>318364664
Thank you for the recommendation
>>
File: 1435812322263.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1435812322263.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>318365618

You're very welcome.

If anyone has any questions about the mechanics or story, I'd be glad to answer.

I haven't 100%'ed it or anything though, so there might be some obscurities I can't answer.
>>
>>318365945
I played the first blackguards, does 2 improve upon it or is it just more of the same?
>>
File: 1446072359363.jpg (977 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446072359363.jpg
977 KB, 1920x1080
A screenshot-bump. Because those are the best kind and I liked a game that's never talked about so I feel it deserves it.

Does it surprise newfags when there's a twitter-thread on /v/ and it hits bump-limit within the hour, but when an actual game is bought up I have self-bump like it's going out of fashion?
>>
>>318367564

Oh, looks like you beat me to it.

It's more of the same in one way, but made better.

It's not going to re-thing the wheel, mostly because the wheel is still round in Blackguards 2. It's still slowly making your way across a hex-based battlefield, moving your little chess-pieces into position while the enemy does the same.

That being said, it's a lot more fluent now. Animations are slightly quicker, and everyone seems able to move slightly further (maybe they just made the hexes bigger or something?).

The biggest change is surely the hit/miss calculation though.

Hitting an enemy is no longer this huge burden, and it makes battles go a lot quicker, meaning you're not stuck for the better part of an hour on what should be a very trivial fight.

The class-mechanic has also changed a lot too, giving everyone access to everything and instead letting you build interesting hybrids the way you see fit. There are some restrictions, as some characters being completely locked out of magic and heavier armor fucking with regens etc.

If I had to be critical (and knowing where I am, I do), I would say that you should bring your own soundtrack.

While the OST in BL1 wasn't anything to write home about, it's one of the things I recommend you mute here.

>TL;DR: It's a lot smoother of an experience than BL1 in almost every way, and the story is, in my opinion, a lot more gripping.
>>
File: 1428747969877.jpg (415 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1428747969877.jpg
415 KB, 1920x1080
I forgot my screenshot for >>318368353. This is one of the many many between-combat-camping-scenes where you can chat and hang out with, gear up, spec and chill with bros.
>>
>>318368353
Convinced me at "everyone access to everything"

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Guild wars is the only good mmo. gw2 a shit
>>
File: 1428397977962.jpg (56 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1428397977962.jpg
56 KB, 640x360
>>318368590

I agree. Too many games have certain builds they "want" you to follow without letting you make anything really fun.

One of my more fancy builds in Blackguards 2 is making the protagonist a magic-archer. Give her a few buff-spells, a good stock of arrows and she'll be the most slippery archer in all the land.

I made another of my dudes a tank-healer (that's a tank that also heals, paladin-style) and all of a sudden you've got a bullet-sponge who can dance around enemy fire while healing the front-line DPS.

Shit's fun 'yo.

And no, those little icons you see in my screenshot are far FAR from all the options you get to customize your characters. Those little buttons up top all lead to different sub-sections of customization.
>>
File: 1446197618822.jpg (393 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446197618822.jpg
393 KB, 1920x1080
This is the character gear-up screen.

All spells/abilities/talents in this game also have multiple tiers, and each tier adds something new to the chosen mechanic.

For example, a level 1 thunder-throwing spell lets you throw a spark, while the level 3 thunder-thrower lets you chain lighting, but the lighting can also chain to allies.

When you upgrade a spell like this you still keep access to the previous, and usually cheaper, spell in case it suits the situation better.
>>
streamlined sequel to a good game
>>
Are you seriously recommending Blackguards 2? They took a huge shit on all the good they'd done with the first game, removing or changing shit that works and released an absolute piece of shit for the sequel.

If you think this is one of the best games released this year you are actually retarded.
>>
File: and into the lava pit you go.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
and into the lava pit you go.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
OP have you tried the superior hex-grid game yet?
>>
>>318369556

Well, yeah, slightly, but streamlining doesn't always have to be bad, Anon (despite what EA might have taught us). It has a lot less flaws now, and it's still tactical and deep.

>>318369589

I didn't say it was the best game released this year, but for it's budget it's pretty good. And considering to the incredibly small audience it appeals to, I feel it did a pretty solid job with what they had.

Blackguards 1 was fun, but lacked polish. Blackguards 2 still lacks a little polish but nowhere near as bad as the first one did.

What worked in the first game works better now.

That being said, I will confess that it is not AS deep as the first one in some aspects. It's very subjective how much depth you like, but there's a very fine line between fun and tedious.
>>
>>318369883

I have, and I enjoyed it too! That being said, the maps felt too small and void of tactical opportunity.

I pirated it though, but it might be worth a few bucks if I catch it on Steam-sale.

How was the multiplayer?
>>
>>318369883
What gaem?
>>
>>318370179
King's Bounty: The Legend

>>318370005
It has no multiplayer.
There's a King's Bounty facebook game though.
>>
>>318370246
>facebook

Do devs just not like our money anymore?
>>
>>318367582
cause its shit
>>
>>318370246

That's another one for the backlog then. Thanks Anon.

>>318370349

You're shit.
>>
>>318369883
That looks a lot like a steamlined HoMM-game to me.
>>
>>318370542
It pretty much is. You build up a single hero while following the story and doing quests.

HoMM is TBS whereas KB is a hex-grid RPG.
>>
i remember hearing the RNG in Blackguards was infuriating, and plus some battles would drag on and on
>>
>>318370909

That's Blackguards 1: Prepare To Miss Edition. Blackguards 2 makes missing a lot harder to accomplish.

The only thing with a decent miss-chance are ranged weapons, which kinda' makes sense when you think about it. And which stops making sense when you acknowledge the fact that the game is about people standing still on hexes.

That's also the reason the battles dragged on so long in the first game. You had to plan for 3 people to kill one rat on it's last leg because you had to assume at least 2 of them would probably miss their attacks.

Blackguards 2 doesn't have this problem, and thus trivial battles end a lot faster.
>>
>>318364334
Oh, there's a sequel? I liked it, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Just one question, is it as easy to fuck yourself with improper builds like in the first one? I disliked that I had to scrutinize every exp. I used for maximum efficiency and even then I got my ass handed to me at times. What "archetypes" so to speak you're playing atm?
>>
>>318371542

I did manage to fuck up on my first playthrough, and had to restart. I built the protagonist with ranged weapons and shields, so proves what I know. Looking back on it, that was probably a retarded idea.

That being said, I've not manage to fuck anything else up by being creative thus far. And I've gone out of my way to build interesting shit.

I have a heal-tank, that's a healer who soaks damage not an actual self-healing tank. A archer-mage-self-buff character, and I gave the guy who's darker skinned barely any armor and a spear. Because I thought that'd be funny.

You'd be surprised how my cast of misfits all sorta' synergized after a while. It's a hard game, but beyond blatant retardation (see the shield-bow fiasco), it's pretty hard to mess up beyond recovery.
>>
>>318371838
>(see the shield-bow fiasco)
Well, to be honest plate+towershield and crossbow/war hammer doesn't sound too farfetched as it was the go-to rape-all-knights attire in the battlefield.
>>
>>318364334
>buying it now instead of for 90% off at Christmas sale

FOOLS
>>
>>318372109

Huh, didn't know that. I might have to attempt a playthrough with that combo at some point. Speaking of fun builds, if you have a bit of patience and want some hilarity, build a mage far enough into the "drop rocks" (it had some cooler name but I forget) spell that knocked down and did AoE.

AoE-knockdown with a high magic-regen makes for great bottlenecking, because the rocks are practically free, and have a very good chance to knock down several enemies. Then have a good solid bow-DPS pick off the important targets.
>>
>>318364334
Thanks this actually looks rather compelling.
>>
>>318372404
I doubt it would work, because game=/=real life, even with historical examples. Besides, it's a battlefield thing, you and hundred of your soldierbros take off that heavy as fuck pavise (decorated with your choice of m'lady art) off your back, stick it in front of you and shoot as many bolts into your sire's foes as you can.

Speaking off straight deadly things, is spear as ridiculously OP as before? I might fuck and just roll a agile spearwielder or something.
>>
>>318372947

Well you're talking to the guy who made the one dark-skinned dude a tribal-like, poor, clotheless spear-wielder because he thought it'd be funny so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

That being said, he regenerates his resource of choice so quick that he manages to pull of heavy attack after heavy attack. I can't say if it's the spear doing the work or if it's the build, but get one bush-nigger with a spear and you'll see some serious outgoing pain.

That being said, he can practically only take a handful of hits, so maybe the lightest possible armor won't be such a good idea in the long run (I'm not 100% done with the game, so I might have to fix that a little).

But so far, spears seem useful enough.

>>318372905

It's rather fun to play too, if you can believe it. And fuck, the game goes on forever, depending on your level of autism.
>>
Oh well, at least this thread actually talked about the game.

Good night sweet thread.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.