[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Better Dong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: dkc2 vs dcktf.png (2 MB, 1240x842) Image search: [Google]
dkc2 vs dcktf.png
2 MB, 1240x842
DKC2 is the fantastic follow up to DKC that fixed up many of the glaring flaws, added a fan favorite character in Dixie Kong with unique controls, introduced crazy atmospheric environments that went perfectly with a subdued, David Wise composed soundtrack many consider the best of it's era if not ever. The game did a wonderful job of ihiding it's secrets in intuitive places and was on of the first big steps in the collect-a-thon direction platformers would take. It struck a perfect balance of gimmick levels to break up the run n jump action.

DKC:TF is the follow up to DKC Returns that allows you to drop the waggle and brought back David Wise to make another soundtrack that contends for GOAT status. The game was originally shat on at announcement for Retro being "wasted" on a DKC sequel, but when judged on it's own merits is right up there with any 2D platformer, especially those in the post New Super Mario Bros world. Adding playable Cranky Kong, online leaderboards with replays, and a hard mode to a game that already is pretty fucking hard bumps up the games replayability.
>>
DKCR and DKCTF are the best 2D Platformers of all time in my opinion, with the original trilogy only a little bit behind it along with Yoshi's Island
>>
>>318363637
DKC2, since it tried new and interesting things that really made it a bigger, better new game.

Tropical Freeze is just more of the same that was already in Returns.
>>
>>318363637
I can't choose. They're both so good.

>>318363779
Wish DK would become Nintendo's primary platform hero. He does it way better than Mario.
>>
>>318363920
What?

Both DKC2 and DKCTF are just extensions of their predecessors. Both added unique worlds that expanded on the jungles, caves, and factories of the first game. Both added a great new character that controlled uniquely, both really turned up the atmosphere and soundtrack quality.

I'd say Tropical Freeze becuase a fucking DKC game gave me feels when I first got back to DK Isle and saw it frozen over with this music playing

https://youtu.be/Boqy0Q-4c_M?list=PLCAKOz0OX3_PMfgFMdz3M_2r0dY7zth7x
>>
DKCR itched the scratched that the original left behind well enough but Tropical Freeze? I will never understand the praise. The platforming was barebones as hell with some pretty lousy balancing in the characters and it all seemed so vaguely familiar. It's the original Returns with good controls which earns it's merits, sure but by the end I as so happy that it was only 6 worlds long. My general litmus test in the quality of a game is whether or not I'm excited for the end or I wwould like it to keep going.

Overall the collectables were worthless save for some to get secret stages and the difficulty was pointless because of partners. I willed myself to not feel remorse for buying it but I'll always be left knowing that I had to actively try.
>>
>>318364376
There's no new characters in Tropical Freeze. Only Donkey Kong is playable.
>>
>>318364376
That song is another sterling example of why it was a letdown in the end. With such an amazing composer... I can only remember a handful of songs... And almost all were remakes, inferior versions of the original.
>>
>>318364437
I feel the opposite way. DKCR tried so much to just do whatever the original game did in a harmless way. Why did it have to reuse the same worlds? Why did it forget about anything that happened after DKC1?

It's the same reason I can't get into NSMB.

>>318364594
You can play a solo kong in hard mode.
>>
There's no point in trying to compare

They are 2 different games in 2 different timeframes

TF still has a strong atmosphere that works perfectly with dave's music

Overall, Diddy Kong's quest/Diddy's Kongquest had the better atmosphere

But, TF had the better gameplay and variety

Tropical Freeze literally had a new concept every level, fuck, every level had its own music
>>
File: 1443559308913.jpg (47 KB, 200x350) Image search: [Google]
1443559308913.jpg
47 KB, 200x350
>>318364572
>Only Donkey Kong is playable
>he didn't 100% the game
Look at this pleb
>>
>>318364819
> fuck, every level had its own music

I think this is why people say it's not as memorable. I mean the soundtrack is 4 times the size of DKC2.

Busted Bayou the GOAT
https://youtu.be/95HuSMQSUVo?list=PLCAKOz0OX3_PMfgFMdz3M_2r0dY7zth7x
>>
>>318364437

That's an absolutely garbage opinion anon

Returns was basically

>HEY GUYS DKC IS BACK, THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME IS NOSTALGIA

It did have its merits, but thats all it was

Tropical Freeze was Retro legitamately making their own DKC and having fun with it

The area's were god tier and each world told a story about the Vikings progression

Every single level had its own music and atmosphere was fantastic
>>
>>318363637
I adore both but Tropical Freeze has a huge dip in quality for a bit in World 4 while DKC2 stays consistent in quality all the way.
>>
DKC2 is my favorite game ever, so DKC2.

That said DKCTF is probably my favorite game of the last decade. As soon as I finished Sawmill Thrill I knew I was playing something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3adTY5elog
>>
>>318364819

>tfw Rocket Barrel variations

>Harmonica Rat Boogaloo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op5wrzdT3oo

>tribal flute Shark Boogaloo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXzttg-sWRs

>Groovy Flute forest Boogaloo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsr15pt7zhM

>Saxophone Madness Boogaloo Featuring frozen Mega Crobat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty5zrQi-jR0
>>
>>318365365
>Rocket Barrels

And in two words you pinpoint exactly why Tropical Freeze isn't fit to share the podium with DKC2.
>>
>>318365496
Wait so is DKC2 a lesser game for having minecart levels?
>>
>>318365019
The backstory of the levels was fine but I am totally unconcerned with the story in a platformer. Retro rushed the game. It's completely obvious. I'm not that huge of a fan of their original work but anyone can see plainly that tropical freeze was pressured by nintendo to get some games on the wii u since they had the engine and assets already made up. wise's music was uninspired and derivative as hell, the difficulty wasn't there, it's a fine game but with things like rayman origins on the market years ago, whats the point?

I'm just trying to explain my point that ultimately, given each game's release and the environment they're released in DKC2 will always be the better game.
>>
I don't know about this game but Returns has less variety in gameplay than any of the first three and that really turned me off from even trying tropical freeze.
>>
>>318366016
Tropical Freeze is at least as big a jump over Returns as DKC2 is to DKC1.
>>
>>318366016
The fact that the first thing you hear after starting a new game in Tropical Freeze is the loading music from Returns speaks volumes.
>>
>>318365496
I like the Rocket Barrel levels
>>
I don't like the controls of tropical freeze so DKC for me
>>
>>318365938
>Wise's music was uninspired and derivative as hell
It's by far his best work in the games industry and blows the entire DKC2 soundtrack out of the water in quality, quantity and variety.

Not that Tropical Freeze's OST is some flawless masterpiece but the way people suck DKC2's dick for its music and totally ignore the rest of his work is amazing.
>>
>>318365496

>Talking shit about Rocket barrels

Nigga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zyS7CwjaiU
>>
DKC2 because of nostalgia.
>>
>>318365938

>Uninspired and derivative as hell

Nigga you fucking WHAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFP4wn0dejc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boqy0Q-4c_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di6VFegOMfk
>>
Tropical Freeze's only real flaw is how absolutely garbage the bonus games actually are

Its the same 6 minigames

Other than that its fantastic
>>
>>318365938

Nice job avoiding to explain what made the game look rushed

The game was fucking delayed from 2013 into 2014

I felt satisfied as fuck with the game
>>
>>318367140
I 100% agree with this. Sock fucking lazy with that shit.
>>
Tropical Freeze is literally the reason I own a Wii U.
>>
>>318363637
I'll go with Tropical Freeze. While DKC2 has the best level design of the original trilogy on SNES, Tropical Freeze does it way better.
TF is not hard for questionable design choices like DKC2 but it offers a good challenge without never being unfair.
>>
>>318367509
What questionable design choices does DKC2 have?

Especially compared to Tropical Freeze, which is overflowing with them.
>>
>>318366737
>>318366887
I'll admit the music is very nice if I wanted to take a nap. To say it's his best work is laughable though. The SNES games were much more memorable. Percussion can lend a lot to a song and can add a lot to thje atmosphere but you won't remember that over a good hook in a simpler tune. To put it more simply, which would you whistle?

>>318367197
I don't have autism so I don't need to carefully look over every detail. Delay doesn't mean that a game isn't rushed. They were probably racking their brains trying to find a way to make the game fun. Regardless, save for a few interesting gimmick levels it was totally dull, just like returns but at least that game has the saving grace of being dull first, thus less dull by comparison to the games that follow.
>>
>>318367646
>To put it more simply, which would you whistle?
Saying that catchy is the deciding factor for good music is really dumb when the soundtracks are going for two different things and Tropical Freeze has plenty of catchy songs in the vein of his older work
>>
>>318367793
>Tropical Freeze has plenty of his older work

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>318367793

The greatest composers to have ever lived are still regarded as masters of their craft because their music is memorable. To say that music that is completely forgettable doesn't make it bad is TRUE but the big complaint for tropical freeze is that it isn't good music. What about it is good?

>Tropical Freeze has plenty of catchy songs in the vein of his older work

Right, specifically his recycled older work that he just put in the game again for nostalgia's sake, just like DKCR, right? Oh wait. I think we've been here before.
>>
>>318368135
Fans would have thrown a riot if he ignored DKC2 just like DKC Returns did.
>>
>>318368135
>The greatest composers to have ever lived are still regarded as masters of their craft because their music is memorable
Except there's way more that goes into music composition than simply being an ear worm.
And saying the OST is totally unmemorable is doing a disservice to it. The game has a bunch of standout tracks like Windy Hill, Busted Bayou, Scorch 'N' Torch, Seashore War and High Tide Ride that are posted in music threads, and for good reason.

>Right, specifically his recycled older work that he just put in the game again for nostalgia's sake, just like DKCR, right?
With the exception of a lot of water level songs having Aquatic Ambiance remixed into them somewhere most of the songs were brand new.
Part of the reason the songs are more "forgettable" is because each level has its own tune instead of recycling the same few throughout the game. It's a decently big soundtrack.
>>
>>318368447
No one threw any riots for DKCR

People expected the same leap from DKC to DKC2 and that is why it was disappointing. Disappointing is a key word because you're defending this 2.5d platformer to the death when no one is saying it's a bad game. It's just not what it could have been. It's short, it has very few good original songs that aren't remixes of DKC 1 and 2 but the platforming is solid. The partner characters make the game too easy but the graphics look nice. The secrets are well hidden but they almost always do nothing but give concept art. There's very little motivation to replay any levels.

It is objectively inferior to rare's work and to say otherwise is to spit on the legacy of DKC
>>
>>318368632
quality>quantity
>>
>>318368868
>objectively
You read like a shitposter.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.