[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the Elder Scrolls become the only First-Person dungeon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim.jpg (170 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim.jpg
170 KB, 1280x720
How did the Elder Scrolls become the only First-Person dungeon crawler to become big and achieve mainstream success?
>>
>>318354014
because its the best
>>
>>318354014
because despite what all the autists on /v/ think, it was a fun game
>>
>>318354014
Why do the dungeon keep getting smaller after Daggerfall?
>>
>>318354014
Because it was easy enough for the braindead majority to progress, but "hard" enough for them to feel like they accomplished something. It was a shallow experience that they did not need to invest in, that they could jump right in and kill a dragon with an axe or slaughter countless undead in the same dungeon. Many people don't want to sit down and immerse themselves in a deep experience and just want to put their feet up and turn their brains off.
>>
I bought it yesterday but for PC since I loved it on the xbox

I got a TON of mods, and it made the game 1000x better, so I'd say that's got to do something with its success
>>
>>318354230
Because Daggerfall was monstrously huge and generic, since everything was randomly generated and as close to 1:1 as possible.
>>
>>318354014
NEVER SHOULD HAVE COME HERE!
>>
Yeah despite what the meme opinion is on /v/ at the moment, its the best game at what it does.
>>
>>318354014
YOU PICKED A BAD TIME TO GET LOST, FRIEND
>>
>>318354085
>>318354092
>>318354387
>>318356826
Hello reddit :)
>>
I think it's because the others died out while Bethesda somehow survived despite having difficulties in the late 90s.
>>
File: 1432998677751.jpg (10 KB, 244x189) Image search: [Google]
1432998677751.jpg
10 KB, 244x189
>>318357135
>>
>>318354014
Because it's the only mainstream big first-person dungeon crawler, period.

No, seriously. Bethesda pretty much has a monopoly on this shit. That's how they keep getting away with such shoddy work.
>>
Isn't Skyrim an action-RPG, rather than dungeon crawler?

I haven't played it for very long, I did notice that like literally every quest leads you to a dungeon, but you have stats, professions and shit
>>
File: 1414043950164.png (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1414043950164.png
15 KB, 300x300
>>318356826
Its a good at being a game for mindless retards to play.

But to call it a game with depth, flavor, and interesting mechanics is just pure retardation.

Lately Ive wanted to pirate it again just to play a big orc that smashes things.
>>
File: ScreenShot46.jpg (169 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot46.jpg
169 KB, 1360x768
>>318354014
It has open world and a fuckton of shit to do in it. Used to be that TES wasn't just about dungeons, you just start out with those and then you get free reign on what to do next outside maybe the main quests.
What's sad is that modded Skyrim will be the closest I ever get to a freestyle Werewolf game where I can spend entire weeks planning my RIP AND TEAR sessions every night, just romping through towns and camps killing and eating every last monkey to cross me.
>>
>>318359442
I'd say it has some flavor. Can't go wrong with sprinkling a bit of Kirkbride's lore on your game. Even if said lore doesn't really manifest in the events of the game.

What I'm saying is, at least it has books.
>>
>>318357135
hello faggot :))
>>
Same reason Deus Ex is way more popular than Thief. The game has a permissive "you can do anything" attitude and encourages you to break the game.
>>
>>318359639
The books have always been nice, I always liked Dance in The Fire.

But its a sad how 'rpg' games have such good lore but its never translated into the game more often these days.

Destiny, with all of its miserable depressing awful design got some good lore in its recent expansion.
>>
It's a damn fine game. Maybe the best in its genre. And the copycats are lame attempts at best. I'm looking at you, legend of grimrock. Holy shit you call that a 'game'? Fucking be ashamed of yourselves...
>>
Good marketing
>>
>>318356663
>have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNFrv0X1W2g
>>
I remember seeing the 'bye real life skyrim is coming out' memes show up before skyrim

I don't know why. I think it was shilling but I'm not sure. But now that's a hot normie meme because they started reciting it on facebook again before fallout 4 was released.
>>
>>318359916
this
>>
Skyrim is the most souless, bland, AAA game ever created, on par with a setting on par with indie sandbox games on early development.
>>
>>318360030
Is just people liking a game, autist.
>>
Disappointing results aside, you can't tell me you weren't hyped when they first revealed gameplay with the dragon.

>>318360354
I'm just throwing it up as a possibility.
>>
>>318359978
I honestly thought that was a spider lady like Quelag from Dark Souls before I took a closer look that it was just typical Bethesda bugs.
>>
>>318360030
>>318360354
I also remember seeing lots of those "I just bought Battlefield/CoD/Skyrim! Such a nerd!"
>>
You mean Oblivion?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.