[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much headbob/gunbob is too much in FPS games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: headbob.webm (2 MB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
headbob.webm
2 MB, 900x506
How much headbob/gunbob is too much in FPS games?
>>
>>318344061
Gun bobbing is beyond idiotic, I hate how Battlefield made that spill over to other games.

Headbob is okay if done while sprinting or landing from jumps.
>>
File: escape from tarkov.webm (1 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
escape from tarkov.webm
1 MB, 854x480
Is this too much?
>>
What the fuck is that little cat doing?
>>
>>318344757
Doesn't have a tail so has a warped sense of balance
>>
>>318344448
i dont really notice but the aim seems bad
>>
>>318344448
Its fine
>>
>>318344448
Is this clip supposed to be a highlight?
>>
>>318344757
wtf is up with that dog's fur?
>>
>>318344847
Looks more like neuro related issues to me.

I know cats rely on their tails for balance, but that looks pretty extreme to me.
>>
W>>318344757
Cerebellum hypoplasia, underdeveloped cerebellum so it has a messed up sense of balance
>>
>>318344847
i have a cat that lost her tail at a pretty young age, but never really acted like this. is it because this cat was born without it/lost it as an actual kitten?
>>
>>318344448

I like that the scope does that, because it makes it impossible to accurately aim while moving, which is fine assuming the gameplay is balanced around it. It also makes the gun feel more physical and weighty.

Generally I think the head bobs are annoying and gimmicky. The PC screen isn't anything like the eye in terms of FOV, etc. so there's really no excuse for it. And I don't think it helps it feel more immersive, at all.
>>
>>318344061
any
>>
File: Untitled.png (115 KB, 759x785) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
115 KB, 759x785
>>
>>318344448
The gun should definitely move a bit while you are walking. I didn't really notice a lot of head bob when he wasn't aiming, which seemed like the gun moving as he walked to me.
>>
any bob is way too much
>>
>>318344757
It's not a cat. It's one of them.
>>
>>318344061
that's fucking adorable.
>>
File: 007810.png (50 KB, 421x248) Image search: [Google]
007810.png
50 KB, 421x248
>>318345230
>messed up sense of balance
>can still walk fine

why are cats are stupid?
>>
>>318345385
thanks
>>
Both go off if I have the option. They are just another thing that adds to motion sickness.
>>
File: PO-1967.1L.jpg (106 KB, 800x506) Image search: [Google]
PO-1967.1L.jpg
106 KB, 800x506
>>318344847
There are breeds of cats which have no tails for hundreds of years. This pic is of a cat with no tail from 1909.
>>
>>318345269

If I wanted to make a STALKER-like game feel like I was actually there, this is what I would do instead of head bob:

- extremely slow movement speed, but no shaking or acceleration (you move at max speed right away and change direction instantly)
- die quickly out of cover
- environments are extremely dense and interactive, everything stays in first person. camera view isn't shifted when you use ladders etc.
- very little destructibility
- no mouse lag or smoothing

If you move slowly and need to use cover, your brain will tend to subconsciously memorize the interior layouts, key pieces of cover, etc. Since the camera is always under your control, you will feel more attached to whichever level you're in, so it can be immersive without using gimmicks.

I'm not sure what kind of cover system I would use. I don't like most implementations. Lean would be the best, but I would prefer it to snap instead of transitioning.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.