[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK, Monster Hunter thread time! QUESTION: Are you OK with Capcom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 17
OK, Monster Hunter thread time!

QUESTION:
Are you OK with Capcom getting rid of subspecies in MHX?

MY OPINION:
I like the variants, named variants, rare species, AND subspecies. I do understand why they're doing this, but I will still miss getting some of the cool subspecies armor. They said they wanted to "add more variety", and that's OK, but...if they wanted to add more variety...

WHY THE FUCK DID YOU GET RID OF SUBSPECIES?! YOU COULD HAVE HAD BOTH!
>>
>>318332172
>Are you OK with Capcom getting rid of subspecies in MHX?
I'll take more unique monsters, even if it meant fewer monsters in general, than more monster in general, but well less unique monsters.

While it's true that we could've had both, I guess they were working with limited space and the former idea seemed to be more fitting for this installment.
>>
>>318332172
that thing is fucking horrifying.
>>
>>318332172
subspecies were always cancer. Reskinning a monster and thinking its a new monster of its own is not ok. The only upgrades they get is new moves, which could simply be given to the original monster in the first place and as you enter high rank and G rank the monsters then learn new moves to fuck your shit up
>>
Secret vore thread?
>>
>>318332565
Yeah, I get that, but still. I like subspecies. Right now the Wiki lists 100 monsters (including small monsters) for MHX, but the count isn't final yet. So maybe if MHX comes here I'll like it (well, I KNOW I will, but, I'll see how I feel about NO subspecies). There were a few I liked, Pink/Azure Rath, Tigerstripe Zam, Steel Urgaan, Ivory Lagi, Rust Duramboros etc. But then there were ones like Blue Kut-ku that were just boring.

I'm still gonna miss that cool armor tho...
>>
>>318333440
Yeah but I liked the armor, the change of pace, and the new look. But, like I said, at least we still have the variants, named variants, and rare species.
>>
>>318333819
They could just introduce those armor types in high rank and G rank to be crafted
>>
File: hhhhehehe.png (215 KB, 726x533) Image search: [Google]
hhhhehehe.png
215 KB, 726x533
i bought monster hunter solely because of zammy :33c
>>
Looks like no color-swaps will mean that the extra animations and moves will be attributed to whatever main monsters are usually running around.

Snowy Tigrex and Barroth are the same (essentially). Narga is a Brute Tigrex mixed with the evil pinecone. hell, the entire super-chicken line is just small changes in name for essentially the same monster one just happens to poison instead of fire, one has a club tail and one is just MY FIRST MONSTER.

Plus the whole rainbow of Rathian is silly when all of them are pretty much the same thing, just with animations limited to some making the strategies locked in "hey this one dives a lot, and hops back, that one flies constantly, this one likes to spin all day errday.."
>>
>>318332172
the original versions Never have subspecies these days. they'll return with MHXG if such a thing gets made
>>
I'm perfectly fine without them, especially if there's a huge amount of monsters unique to each other in the game instead. They were always padding.
Oh, you just killed Basarios? Now go kill Ruby Basarios, which is the exact same thing except it fires projectiles farther.
Very few were ever done right so that they became clearly different fights, like Zamtrios and Lagiacrus. They could instead stick those one or two new attacks to the G version of the basic monster.
>>
>>318333985
it's not the same ;(
>>
>>318334453
Wait really? So there weren't any subspecies in MH4 or MH3? Just in MH4U and MH3U?
>>
>>318334814
Yeah, like I said earlier. Some suck. Some are good. But I still like the variety of having variants, named variants, rare species, AND subspecies.
>>
>>318335102
Having them in the game will force people to fight virtually the same monster potentially twice as much or even three times as much for weapon tree upgrades.

I could spend hours killing Zinogre for a drop to upgrade my weapon, and then have to kill Stygian Zinogre for the next one and end up getting sick of Zinogre.
Or I could finish Zinogre with the first upgrade and have some entirely different lightning monster be my next target and keep the game more fresh.
>>
Another reason this bothers me is the set up between variants vs named variants and subspecies vs rare species. Let me explain.

Rare species are described as (in short) "super subspecies". Subspecies are rarer, stronger, and are a different species (genetically distinct) from normal species. Rare species are just even stronger and rarer subspecies (essentially).

A similar story for variants. Variants are just special versions of normal monsters, but are the same species (genetically identical). Named variants are even rarer and more powerful types of variants (essentially).

Without subspecies, the whole "system" is thrown off. But so far, no variant has been listed in MHX. Only Rare Species and Named Variants. So IF MHX doesn't have any subspecies OR variants, the system is stable once more.
>>
File: NEOGDS-154458.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
NEOGDS-154458.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
>>318332172
They want the HC variants to shine, so they removed subspecies.
Subs will probably be back in MHXG/U, or in the very least MH5.
Gamuto is cute
>>
>>318332172
Subspecies should become rare variants of regular species. So like, you have a 25% chance of encountering a Tigerstripe Zamtrios instead of a regular Zamtrios every time one spawns.

Subspecies are like clones in Smash Bros; no one asked for them, and they are lazy, but it's not like they take up some sort of reserved space that could have been used on something else.
>>
>>318336268
Subs can work quite well if they are different enough.
Like the original concept of Rathalos/Azure/Silver was pretty interesting.

Rathalos as the original and the base.
Azure as Sanic The Rathalos
Then Silver as one who tosses up the equation by changing the hitzones as well as just upping durability all over.

Mind you, this is the concept, not the execution.
Over time and upgrades they just kinda got muddied up.
So I could see them scrapping it all and working from the ground up.

I would quite enjoy subs being there, just not given as much importance as well as each sub separating off of the original more so. Tigerstripe in my opinion is probably the best of the new subs since his fight is radically different than Zamtrios' despite the shared body.
So more like that.
>>
>>318337091
>Rathalos
>Bullshit talon spam

>Azure Rathalos
>Now with 200% more flight time!

>Silver Rathalos
>aarghhh fuck my wings arrghh fuck my legs arrghh fuck I'm dying oh what's that you got hit once? lol you're dead

Yep. Pretty interesting.
>>
>>318337987
>Mind you, this is the concept, not the execution.

Also until 4U the air kick was easy as shit to dodge through.
Don't know why they would fuck up the hitbox and make it hit behind his legs too.
>>
>>318332172
what is this shit tier OP, do you know anything about how to start monster hunter threads?
>>
I think subspecies should exist to pad out the roster, generally, although there are some legit unique ones from the more recent gens. MHX doesn't really need its roster padded so it makes sense to not have most of them.
>>
>>318332172
It's mostly good, but the extremist solution was a bad idea. Stygian Zinogre, Lucent Nargacuga, Golden Rajang, Desert Seltas Queen, Sand Barioth, Shrouded Nerscylla, Crimson Queerpecker, and Savage Jho just off the top of my head were all great fights and it'd be an absolute shame if they never came back.
>>
>>318332172
Subspecies, Rare Species, and Variants are all essentially the same thing. Take monster, give new textures and/or slightly modify model, give new moves, potentially tweak hitbox values and elemental weakness, maybe change the behaviour slightly. All three have received all of those in varying degrees.

Subspecies aren't always an actual species, either. Sometimes they're called variants because it's just an older version, or a version under slightly different circumstances. Goldbeard Ceadeus for instance could be considered a variant of regular Ceadeus since one is the younger version and one is the older. Same with Basarios and Gravios. Glacial Agnaktor is technically a variant, too, as it's just an Uroktor that grew up in the Tundra after accidentally being dropped from the talons of a Rathalos/Rathian mid-flight.

The thing about Variants is that their growth was changed somehow by some kind of development. Zinogre realized the true potential of thunderbugs and electricity, for instance. It is essentially similar to a Savage Deviljho or Critical Brachydios.

The Variants will also get their own equipment. It's not just "hard mode monster". Like Savage Deviljho and Goldbeard Ceadeus, there's gonna be whitegale narga armour.

The difference between all three of these systems is in name only.
>>
>>318338530
savage jho and gold rajang are variants not subspecies, they're in MHX

also lucent narg is a rare species, could potentially be in MHX
>>
File: laughing sharkfrog.png (1 MB, 1350x1003) Image search: [Google]
laughing sharkfrog.png
1 MB, 1350x1003
>>318333094
It's a landshark frog that inflates and deflates. The tundra version can chill moisture onto its body to create ice armour to boot, while this version will inflate and deflate much more quickly, and has more options of attack whilst inflated.
>>
>>318338784
The first time I was hunting this thing was with a buddy, and he got pinned. I told him to just let it happen so I could get some free hits in.
I shouldn't have.
>>
>>318339191
I'm a vorarephile, so this is my fetish really.
>>
>>318338662
Yeah, the way in which they are named is the crucial difference.
>>
>>318332172
Shameful vidya faps...
>>
File: 1366598153189.jpg (17 KB, 380x247) Image search: [Google]
1366598153189.jpg
17 KB, 380x247
>No friends to play MH4U with
>Too shy to play it online because I don't want to fuck up anyone's hunt
>>
>>318340835
just dont be a retarded faggot and you'll be fine
>>
>>318332172
It's so they can readd them to MHXG
>>
>>318340835
I have a policy regarding online play. I will not go online with a particular quest unless I can complete it solo with no carts.
>>
>>318341885
Without cats, to boot.
>>
File: 1422340146828.jpg (11 KB, 219x187) Image search: [Google]
1422340146828.jpg
11 KB, 219x187
>want the the Guild Knight X armour
>all those G-Rank arena Apex Deviljhos needed to be beaten
>>
>>318341885
That just seems silly.
I thought the whole point of playing with other people was to make it slightly easier/faster and less of a grind. If you can already do it without carts, why bother with online?
>>
>>318342563
To make grinding go by faster. I use multiplayer for grinding, not for progress.
>>
>>318340440
>>
>>318342342
Well anon I guess you got to find someone who's willing to join you in the arena to fight some jho's.

or have someone host a custom quest for you in that has the items you need as drops.
>>
Subs are fine it's just that MH tend to go overboard with it. Look at how many the two Rath they are? I mean I get it's one of the most popular monster but still it's just stupid how many sub it has. So do you think they are going to make a G/U version or is MHX the only one and that's the one we are going to get hopefully.
>>
>>318344246
FIRST - MH Team decides to do MHXG, or proceed right to MH5
NEXT - If MH Team chose MHXG, we will get MHXU a few months after Japanese release. OR - If MH Team chose MH5, we will get MHX some point 2016.

That's my perspective, we'll get MHX no matter what I think.
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>318336268
That's an interesting idea but what would happen if you wanted subspecies armor?
You'd have to reload the quest till the sub monster appears.
That's like advanced quests on crack.
>>
>>318344575
Work subspecies on the variant system.

It wouldn't work for special region-based subspecies, though. There's no reason to find Glacial Agnaktor in the volcano.
>>
>>318343247
>or have someone host a custom quest for you in that has the items you need as drops

Why would I do that? That's one tier under hacking the game.
>>
>>318332172
Tri and MH4 also had no subspecies, so I'm inclined to believe that MHXG will bring them back
>>
File: 1448302519139.png (356 KB, 1280x384) Image search: [Google]
1448302519139.png
356 KB, 1280x384
>>318333094
Nah, it's cute.
>>
>>318340835
>friends to play MH4U with
>they're too casual to get past the end of HR
It hurts being a lone hunter.
>>
File: lagia_statue.jpg (587 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
lagia_statue.jpg
587 KB, 1536x2048
>>318339409
I'm sure Capcom realizes this
>>
File: Do want.jpg (146 KB, 827x606) Image search: [Google]
Do want.jpg
146 KB, 827x606
>Doing a complete GS bushido counter combo
>>
>>318345659
I'm kind of fond of Aerial Hammer, because upswing on third charge is 2good.
>>
File: 1444767466222.gif (3 MB, 740x416) Image search: [Google]
1444767466222.gif
3 MB, 740x416
>>318332172
No, because my favorite monster is the red Lavasioth.
>>
File: daft shakalakas.jpg (90 KB, 977x616) Image search: [Google]
daft shakalakas.jpg
90 KB, 977x616
>>318345487
>somehow know over 25 people that play MH
>some are too casual /arent into it enough to keep playing into G rank but many are good endgame players that i play with regularly
>one of them even imported a 3ds and has X which i can play when i go over
I have been blessed by the gods of MH
>>
Does X have G quests? I haven't bought it yet because I haven't "finished" 4G and if they're going to release a Cross X version anyway, I can just wait.
>>
>>318345842
No, it doesn't have G quests. It has low, high, and special variants which are unlocked with HR.
>>
>>318332172
They're saving subs for MHXG you idiots. How new can all you fourbabbies be? There must a limit somewhere.
>>
>>318344854
A friend of mine who does this basically told me that as long as "you earn it, then hacking the game is fine."

That said I'm never asking him to host for fucking items again.
>needed a rajang heart and some ghoulish gold gorers
>asked if he could host a quest that would give me a guaranteed drop.
>"Oh hey all I gotta do is fight this Seltas and I get guaranteed drop? Neat, but why in the Arena?"
>After the Seltas died, 2 Apex Gravios Spawn in.
>>
>>318346035
>implying MHXG is a definite thing
no john, you are the fourbabby
>>
File: 1439756721496.jpg (60 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1439756721496.jpg
60 KB, 640x640
Who else solo'd their ukalanos to get into g-rank?
>>
Aerial gunlance slams and full bursts all day every day.
>>
>>318346035
There's a very good chance there will not be a MHXG, given that:

1) Not counting ports, no generation has had more than three entries.
2) It's an anniversary edition game. Having a second anniversary edition game would be incredibly tacky.
3) The Japanese are starting to tire of buying the same game with a couple extra monsters, a few new subspecies, and a higher rank the year immediately following their first purchase.
>>
>>318346153
Hi hi.
I also soloed Dalamadur. With no carts. Without cats. I very nearly ran out of time, I only had two or so minutes left.
>>
Why don't they scale monster health for the number of players? I don't think this would cause controversy among players?
>>
File: 46520568_p7_master1200.jpg (108 KB, 651x609) Image search: [Google]
46520568_p7_master1200.jpg
108 KB, 651x609
>>318346153
Man, that fucking sucked. Ukanlos is such a slog.
>>
>>318346847
That would kinda defeat the purpose of some monsters, I would think.
There's a lot of monsters it's almost mandatory to have multiple players, and scaling them back for single player might make the player overpowered
>>
>>318346153
I'm Silver Crown and I've soloed everything so far. The Ukanlos and Gogmazios urgents gave me the most trouble. Timed out to Ukanlos twice and to Gog once, then triple carted to Gog on the second attempt after hitting the 40 minute mark. Third attempt I carted twice so fast that I just abandoned it. Then I managed to clear it without carting with only 1:40 to spare. Probably should have unlocked the demolisher ammo before doing that.
>>
>>318332172
But MHX has Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos, aren't those subspecies?
>>
I'm thinking about buying the Hori extended slide pad for MHX. How is it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LVRXS8C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=A1XZCLXUH16K55
>>
>>318348025
sort of, those are "rare species", same with molten tigrex and lucent nargacuga and abyssal lagiacrus
>>
File: New_MH_boss.png (167 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
New_MH_boss.png
167 KB, 480x272
>>318348093
Meh, the only Subspecies that I'll really miss is S.Zinogre. But who else is hyped for this mother fucker making a comeback?
>>
One thing I can always count on is Amazon JP reviews to be mad.
>>
I haven't played Monster Hunters since Freedom 2, but my friend showed me some footage of the shark frog monster and it's sick as hell.
>>
>>318348091
Weird for the first hour, but oh so comfy after that, it's the best peripheral ive ever seen made.
>>
>>318346153
I did because everyone kept dying, also i kinda soloed my snek urgent because everyone disconected after 10 minutes
>>
>>318348421
ok
>>
File: 1351139876630.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1351139876630.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>tfw they didnt remove rajang
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.