[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Buy a physical PC game >inside is just a key to redeem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7
File: 1441430043708.png (406 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1441430043708.png
406 KB, 601x601
>Buy a physical PC game
>inside is just a key to redeem on steam

why the fuck is this allowed?
>>
>>318331591

>buy skyrim
>get home, insert disc
>disc automatically opens browser to steam
>begins trying to download the fucking game i have on a disc but from steam's 3mbps fuckboi servers

They need to put a warning on shit that does this so I can go ahead and never buy it and support that fat cunt and his userbase of retarded drones.
>>
>have shit connection with no bandwidth
>have to research whether or not games do this shit or else I'll have to download the game at the library of a friend's house

Who /shitinternet/ here
>>
>>318331591
because life is suffering. but only if you buy a shit tier luxuries like vidya.
>>
But anon, clearly every single person on earth must have at least 50/50 internet, right? I mean, every executive does, and everyone on the board of directors does, and at least half of the 50 people we questioned on the street did. Clearly anyone who doesn't have internet is a massive outlier.

Game devs and publishers actually believe this
>>
>>318333184
Shit internet or not, most people buy physical copies of the game so they can actually own the game, not license it through a digital middle man.
This applies just as well to console games.
>>
I haven't had a dvd drive in my pc for over 6 years, get with the times OP.
>>
The jews won this battle long ago.
>>
>>318331591
>how do i read information provided clearly on the box before i buy it?
>>
>>318333372
And the thing is, the physical copies still cost just as much as the downloadable copies. So either, a, make the physical copy cost $60 and the downloadable copy a bit cheaper due to not having to print anything, or b, scrap the fucking whole idea of it forwarding it to Steam.

BTW:
>shit internet
>shinternet
>>
>>318333372
Hey man, I agree with you. I myself bought a physical copy of Crysis 3, only to be told it had to be installed and downloaded via Origin.

I was just saying that a large portion of game developers and publishers genuinely believe that a ton of people can happily download a 20GB+ game in a reasonable amount of time. For me, that would easily be an overnight job - maybe even well into the next day. Not to mention the poor bastards that have satellite or mobile data.
>>
>>318331591
At least you didnt buy a shit tier samsung tv. I bought it for 1400 burgers and I noticed a disturbing lack of pan and scan(gets rid of black bars which is really bad on plasma's according to the manual) before the year was over they had come out with 3 patches. the first one disabled an entry point for hacking they used to enable a nice pan and scan feature. the second one disabled any previous hack and disabled the new entry point also disabled the app store. The reason they disabled it is they have a new appstore they want you to adopt this year. will it ever end? no it wont. Samsung needs to atrophy and die.
>>
File: kill me.jpg (68 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
kill me.jpg
68 KB, 620x388
>>318334071
20gb would literally cost me $250
>>
>buy physical gta v
>it's not steam compatible
Fuck Rockstar
>>
>>318334204
forgot to mention you need to buy a brand new "smart" tv this year for another 1400 burgers for that new app store. TV's arent iphones you faggots. what are you thinking about.
>>
>>318334337

Blame your African poorfag parents for breeding, not us.
>>
>>318334530
But I'm white and I live in the US.
>>
>>318334838

Blame your white poorfag parents for breeding, not us.
>>
>>318334518
1. Don't buy Samsung anything
2. Why didn't you return it when you discovered it lacked pan & scan?
3. Do you not demo a tv in store before buying?
>>
>>318334903
why don't you want me man
>>
>>318335082

Nobody wanted me. Why should it be any different for you? Unless you're an average to pretty grill, you either make it or die in the gutter where you belong.
>>
>>318335241
have a heart man
>>
>>318334906
it has pan and scan but it only worked for tv. Its an option built into the tv but disabled for movies in a later "patch". Also Your preaching to the choir about not buying samsung anything.
>>
>>318335082
they dont want you because they think thier oppression is directly caused by every single person in your race.
>>
>>318336309
like we have some secret code when black people arent around so we know when to not be total assholes.
>>
>>318334518
>smart TVs

I still don't see the point in these things.
>>
>>318334204
>which is really bad on plasma's according to the manual

Fucking memes. Plasmas are overall better than LCDs except it costs more to manufacture. The only thing LCD has over plasma is fucking brightness.
>>
File: 1446965374498.jpg (138 KB, 980x1040) Image search: [Google]
1446965374498.jpg
138 KB, 980x1040
>>318331591
>Buying a physical PC game.

My fucking sides! Not even in the 90's man.
>>
>>318338260
I fell for it only because if you wanted 3d tv it HAD to be smart tv.
>>318338437
you dont own a plasma you would know it ghosts something awe full. It takes a long time to remove the bright lines letterboxed movies produce.
>>
>>318338805
I have a plasma from 2008 and ghosting/burn-in is not a problem.

Only plasmas much older than that have those kinds of problems.
>>
File: 1384575939568.png (74 KB, 259x259) Image search: [Google]
1384575939568.png
74 KB, 259x259
>>318331591
It has been like this since sixth gen consoles killed the PC gaming mustards grew up with in the 90's.

OTOH, we don't have to deal with obnoxious shit like hunting down day 1 patches, or dealing with driver level DRM like Starforce and TAGES.
>>
File: saved by the bell.jpg (23 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
saved by the bell.jpg
23 KB, 214x317
>buy physical
its like i'm back in the 1990s..
>>
>>318338910
well I bought a plasma from samsung and itsa ghosting nightmare. If I leave the menu up for more than 5 minutes it takes at least 30 mins of tv to remove the ghosts.
>>
>>318339050
Just shows how new you are. A lot of games needed a manual to make it playable. Shit I bet you dont even know what a cheat sheet is.
>>
>>318339050
>paying for digital air
It's all shits and giggles until someone pulls the plug on the mothership server rendering your copy useless because it is no longer convenient for them.
>>
When do you think we're going to have an all-digital future? Is it inevitable?

There are still benefits to owning physical games. Biggest one for a lot of people is that you can resell the game, but I never sell my games. You don't have to worry about Steam banning your account and cutting you off from your library or whatever. I like being able to just take a game to a friend's house and pop it in and play. And honestly the biggest one for me is that I love seeing all of my hundreds of game boxes lined up on my shelf, and I would hate for my collection to suddenly be splintered because games went all-digital, but I know that's kind of a silly reason.

I'm afraid that publishers will start pushing streaming-only though, once internet speeds get fast enough, since that will essentially drop piracy to 0.
>>
>>318333372
Even with a physical copy, you are still actually just a licensee. You don't "own" the game.
>>
File: 893590_you_deserve_it.jpg (61 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
893590_you_deserve_it.jpg
61 KB, 267x200
>>318331591
>buying pc shovelware at target
>>
>>318339438
Sure, but as long as I don't hook anything to the internet, they can't ever stop me from playing the game, once the disc is in my hand (and it's not rigged to stop working eventually or something). With Steam, they can just completely shut off your account because haha fuck you.
>>
>>318339363
even if in eula it says you have no rights its not rock solid. If they did decide to just stop making money one day they would have to give you access to all your games to download first. Its like you think corps have more rights than consumers or something (I know they do but its funny to pretend). Still they cant just say hey your thousands of dollars worth of software cant be accessed anymore because I'm a fat ass. look by the time they would try something like this you will be aware of your rights.
>>
>>318339438
>you only bough a license
That's just legal chicanery and doesn't revoke first sale doctrine either. Let's see a publisher attempt to revoke a license of a physical copy in my house.
>>
>>318333372
>implying modern consoles are built to last

lmao yea the fuck right

tell me how that works out for you
>>
>>318339713
That's the point of always online DRM.
So they can actually enforce the EULAs you've been agreeing to all along.
>>
>>318339894
Right, I know. That's why the internet is the worst thing to ever happen and we as consumers need to push back against the always-online model. Or maybe it's just inevitable that one day all games will be streaming-only because no one really gives a shit and we should just all be cynical now, I dunno.
>>
>>318332194
>Blaming Valve for a service Bethesda doesn't have to use
>>
>>318339867
>*heh heh heh* I'm violating the terms of my license agreement and there's nothing they can do to stop me (except stop selling physical media of course, but that would never happen!)
>HEY WHY HAS EVERYONE STOPPED SELLING PHYSICAL MEDIA!?
>>
>>318339363
It's more likely for my house to burn down and lose all my games that way than for steam to go out of service. Plus physical games over time might get lost or scratched and be unplayable (this greatly varies from person to person of course)
>>
>>318332973
your friend's house has a library?
>>
>>318339894
the only time they would ever evoke this shit is when its all gone to hell anyway. this would be like itunes saying hey all that music you bought isnt actually yours because iphone. Wait they already did that whith the changin and deletion of all the music that wasnt iphones when you install the software . What I should say is microsoft would never belive people would be ok with this? right? isnt that what i'm saying? fuck who knows.
>>
>>318340273
lrn2read faggot.
>>
So...if you own a legal license to a game, if the disc stops working, shouldn't they be legally bound to replace it since the disc isn't even what you paid for?
>>
>>318340182
>>HEY WHY HAS EVERYONE STOPPED SELLING PHYSICAL MEDIA!?
Mainly because it meant first sale doctrine and other consumer safeguards no longer applied while they tighten the DRM leash.

Good luck trying to escape the lockdown of the Apple, Google, and Valve ecosystems.
>>
>>318340527
capitolism says fuck you. there are no laws in place for this yet there are too many laws to count if you rent a game though.
>>
>>318340747
Capitalism as opposed to what? Stalinism?
>>
>>318340797
what a stupid comparison. Capitalism doesnt account for busted media which we all can agree is a problem.
>>
>>318340797
they meant "free market".
>>
>>318340684
>Time to play vidya games
>Boot up my Licensed Digital Content Distribution Device
>I wonder what other people are saying about vidya today
>Oh dear, I was about to read an unlicensed internet comment, thank god my Apple News App stopped me
>This Anita Sarkeesian video has been officially licensed and been made available on the Apple News platform, I guess I'll watch that instead
>>
>>318340936
It's not a stupid comparison. Comparing the current market entity as some vague strawman of 'capitalism' to a implicit ideal hypothetical conjured from your invocation of the evil C word is markedly more absurd to comparing the current market entity to historical competing models for markets.
>>
>>318334498
this
I only bought GTA V through GMG for $30 so I could play online with pals but I don't know who on my friends list has it.
>>
>>318341101
all I was saying is if you buy something it doesnt matter if the media it came on becomes outdated you shouldnt have to rebuy it in an hd version later just to replay it. Case in point: privateer.
>>
>>318341272
Why not?
>>
>Paying for games behind ToS walls
Enjoy having all that money wasted if your account were to be banned.
>>
>>318341423
because privateer with the speech pack was about 120 dollars back in the day. faggot.
>this nigger doesnt even know what a speech pack is.
>>
>people here can't make a physical copy for themselves from downloaded game data
>some people don't even know that you don't need steam online 24/7 to play most single player games
>>
>>318341701
Why should prior market conditions be comparable to current market conditions?
>>
>>318341754
it doesnt matter because you are all trashcans awaiting the newest trash open mouthed and happy.
>>
>using steam
>calling yourselves "master race"
Go back to consoles you plens
>>
>>318341940
stupid ass.
>>
>>318335241
>Nobody deserves a better life than I had
This is an 18+ site Mr. Teenage angst.
>>
>>318341940
I mean I'm all for being a hipster and I don't like how Steam has such a monopoly on the PC market, but what's worth playing on PC that isn't on Steam or some other AAA distribution platform? Most of the good indies (and a lot of the not-so-good ones too) make it to Steam.
>>
>>318342371
Nobody inherently 'deserves' any standard of treatment, especially if it isn't normally accorded.
>>
>>318342442
origin is doing a good job of breaking that monopoly up.
>origin is trash because its not steam.
I know but at least they are doing something about the steam monopoly.
>inb4 origin sucks.
>>
>>318331591
>look up a game on Steam and then physical copies
>physical copy is limited edition with extras
>physical copy is cheaper
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.