[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is pic related best enjoyed in chunks at a time when you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: dsc.jpg (53 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
dsc.jpg
53 KB, 256x330
is pic related best enjoyed in chunks at a time when you're feeling 100%, with sizeable breaks in between?

i enjoyed the tutorial stage, but I've been stuck in the Undead Burg for longer than i'd ever care to admit and i'm just not feeling it anymore.
>>
Those areas aren't tough at all, you'll probably get the hang of it

On my first playthrough I probably struggled on burg but after that you can do it no deaths ezpz
>>
>>318319031
You'll get the itch soon. Just go through it little by little.
>>
>>318319031
You need to take it slow and play carefully, a lot people go into dark souls as if its like a hack and slash game, but a new player should always be defensive and careful. What part exactly are you stuck on in the burg? And how long have you been stuck there?
>>
After a while it clicks.
Remember das is more or less a metroidvania and you can just go explore somewhere else if you get bored.
>>
>>318320507
listen to this guy OP
you need time and effort to adjust to the game flow properly in order for it to not be such a challenge

I would certainly recommend breaks, but come back to it as you don't want to miss out on the immersive experience many of us have found ourselves having
>>
I restarted like 3 times, but from that I learned that you can do just about anything in one go provided you take your time and dodge/block incoming.
>>
File: Red_drake.jpg (344 KB, 677x476) Image search: [Google]
Red_drake.jpg
344 KB, 677x476
I've beaten Dark Souls like 5 times and killed every boss but this.. fucking... drake
>>
why does everything take so much damn endurace to wear?
>>
>>318319031
I spent around 30 hours in the Burg, getting to know the game and fucking around like a total spaz. Also spent the next three months exploring every nook and cranny of the world and getting everything done. Just enjoy going slow. It only happens once.
>>
>>318320664
>What part exactly are you stuck on in the burg?
>And how long have you been stuck there?

I'm at the bonfire shortly before you get to the Taurus Demon, and I've been there for at least a couple of hours. Please don't give me any tips on him or the black knight, though- I'd prefer to figure them out on my own.

I suppose part of the problem could be that I'm underleveled, but reclaiming my lost souls after I die just feels like cheating, so I typically don't bother. Same with deciding to cut my losses and head back to the fire to rest. Have I been doing it wrong?
>>
Not really

It's best to play it a lot in one day, the progression feels great. If you can get rolling and exploring the world it just feels amazing to eventually find the next safe bonfire and spend a bunch of souls.

At least 1-2 hours per time you launch it for sure.

I usually only close the game if I get halted in my progression or if I feel tired.
>>
>>318321470
Is there a way other than shoot arrows?
>>
>>318319031
I struggled on the Burg too when I was new. Grinded til I was SL30.

It'll get better
>>
>>318322238
>but reclaiming my lost souls after I die just feels like cheating
your never gonna level up like that desu. pick up your damn souls.
>>
>>318322334
Yes.

>>318322238
You're not underleveled. The whole game can be beat at SL1. And pick up your damn souls.
>>
>>318322238
This isn't the kind of game where levels matter. What matters more is upgrading equipment, but you'll get to that later. People can beat the game at level 1 so long as they have the right items and equipment. Do you want a small hint for taurus demon or do you want to figure it out yourself?
>reclaiming my lost souls after I die just feels like cheating, so I typically don't bother
>Have I been doing it wrong?
Yes, you are the only person I've seen that has done this. Get your souls, you need them and its not cheating at all
>>
>>318322238
You are never underleveled in dark souls.
Skill > equipment > level
i do recommend you pick your souls back up though. Leveling up is still useful.
Also don't get the drake sword, don't even bother looking it up. It makes things too easy too fast and it suddenly starts being a piece of shit fairly quick.
>>
>>318322828
Now in Dark Souls II, it's level = equipment >> skill and it really pisses me off
>>
What platform are you on, OP? Maybe we can do some co-op. I'll give you some support, but for the most part leave everything to you.
>>
>>318319031
you should enjoy it just for the heck of it and not going with the mentality "I NEED to do this or that". It's a game that's not hard nor unfair, everything bad happens because you allow it... once you get the confidence and just play it because you find it fun everything becomes a breeze.

Honestly, the first time I played Demon Souls for instance, Vanguard, the thing killed me and I restarted the game at least 3 time to kill him and couldn't do it. Now, it's easy. It's the same boss, same AI, same everything, it's just your attitude. Souls games are like that, most of the "difficulty" it's in your head.
>>
>>318322828
>>318322238
Do NOT get the Drake Sword. Don't even look it up. It's a troll item.

It makes you think you have skill in early game then you'll get fucking destroyed from mid-game onwards. Don't do it.

Pick up your souls, for your first time you want to enjoy it as much you can, level up and all that shit.

Burg is the easiest way you can go so get your ass back in there. Play defensively. Use a shield to repel attacks then use your opening. Watch the environment and enemy placements. Learn how much stamina it takes to block and attack so you don't run out.

And first and foremost don't give up. A blind DaS playthrough only happens once. Enjoy it.
>>
>>318322945
They ruined rolling so that you need a stat for it in 2, thats a huge reason why
>>
>>318320664
>a new player should always be defensive and careful

I was aware of that going in; it just gets harder and harder to do so when I just keep dying and dying, and often at the exact same point. I can't immerse myself in the game's world anymore; I can barely even focus on it.

It's why I was wondering if most people don't actually savor the game in chunks with a break of a few days or a week in between sessions.
>>
>>318323234
Classic new player run is long sword, drake sword then lightning spear for the whole game
>>
>>318323949
Yeah, that was a major fuck-up. Agility should have reduced stamina consumption for actions, or maybe slightly increase movement speed.

Rolling was a good equalizer in DaS1. No matter how different your levels were, you could still roll the same.
>>
>>318324065
>drake sword then lightning spear
>>
>>318324065
That's not how it went for me. It was battle axe, halberd, lightning spear, giant halberd.
>>
>>318324056
where do you keep dying?
>>
>>318319031

In this game knowledge is key. Its not hard or unfair but you first must learn how to play it the hard way.
>>
>>318324056
When I first played Dark Souls I did around 8hrs a day every day until I finished it. The first 6hrs were the roughest, I spent them all in Undead Burg and Undead Parish. After a while you will get gud.
>>
>>318322334
Yes, but it's a pain in the ass, and not even worth it.
>>
Is it possible to do a good faith run as a paladin sort of character? I chose the cleric starting class for flavor (going on pilgrimage & whatnot)

where do I git some good miracles?
>>
>>318323234

thats wrong. If u know what you are doing u get havels ring, drake sword and the grass crest shield at the beginning.
>>
>>318323046

I appreciate the offer, but I'm afraid this is an offline-mode only playthrough.
>>
There's been surprisingly few DaS noob threads these past months. What happened? Did Bloodborne replace DaS and now no one is bothering to get into it?
>>
>>318319031
I had the hardest time getting the fucks to care about getting out of Undead Burg.

Then I gave a new playthrough a try, and discovered that you had to be up in people's shit to parry, distributed my stats better, and changed how I thought about combat.
>>
>>318324186
They just shouldn't have put agility in the game at all. It was a replacement for resistance, which was also completely useless. The stats that were in the game other than resistance were all you needed to create a complete character, we didn't need anything else.
>>
>>318324526
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-30iCA9Bkcs
>>
>>318322334
Bait him into landing, sprint up and cleave him with a greatsword, run back under before he fries you, repeat a few times until he's dead.
>>
>>318324223
>>318324236
for me it was drake sword, un-upgraded, whole game
>>
>>318319031
>>318324579

Just youtube that op. Otherwise the start is painful.
>>
>>318324595
Aw, how come? No xbox live?

>>318324647
Well, ADP is actually a much better version of RES. Agility is a problem, but the ADP stat is perfectly okay. It increases poise alongside your other resistances.
>>
>>318324579
Does he sound like he knows what he is doing?

Didn't think so m8

>get drake sword
Stop.
>>
>>318324679
thanks lad
>>
I stopped playing in Blighttown about two weeks ago when I was playing it for the first time.
I'm loving the game, it's just that I bought Splatoon and Bayonetta 1/2 so my attention has been elsewhere.

Is the Halberd a scrub weapon? I picked it up from somewhere and started using it because I liked the extra range it gave me but if I change weapon and actually have to get in close and stay close, I get my ass handed to me.
>>
>>318324792

I think its pretty good when you dont want to invest heavily in stats in the beginning and just want to go for easy mode pyromancy.
>>
>>318324065
wat, I just used starting sword until I got the black knight sword and finished the game from there. (2nd run I was a lowly katana fag)
>>
>>318324898
The only real scrub weapons are the katanas.
>>
Whenever I got stuck in Dark Souls I just said "fuck it" and wondered off into other areas I could find, snagging any items I could see without too much risk.

Then i'd come back with some cool new armor or weapon that made things a bit easier or just felt far more my style.

The game isn't about fighting only, take a chance to explore or test out some options even if that means getting yourself killed in the process. In the burg for example I realised I could kindle the bonfire and get more healing items, suddenly the stage was half as hard.
>>
Here are some very useful tips OP :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HpXFcKGZ-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlkEH0ovDhs245
>>
>>318325058
Why?
>>
>>318325148
Because they're very powerful.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 206x215) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 206x215
>>318324223
>>318324065

>second play through
>long sword build, soloing bosses[\spoiler]
>used lightning spear[\spoiler]
>reading these two posts

>tfw
>>
>>318324930
That's fair enough, but if you 'know what you are doing' then you go pyromancy with just starting weapons and still be effective. If you're that advanced that you don't need the drake sword, why would you use it anyhow?

I have nothing much against the weapon itself, it's quite hilarious to watch people get rekt in later game from using it all the time but DaS has been out for years now and the whole troll weapon thing has gotten pretty old. Same with the pendant.
>>
>>318323234
The BK in Undead Burg dropped his sword my first playthrough. It carried me through the entire game. I haven't played through a second time. I still don't feel like I've fairly beaten DS. Even with the BK Sword, my first playthrough was difficult.
>>
>>318325403
Well then play through it "fairly"
>>
File: DaS mysoginy.jpg (442 KB, 800x542) Image search: [Google]
DaS mysoginy.jpg
442 KB, 800x542
>>318322238
>I suppose part of the problem could be that I'm underleveled, but reclaiming my lost souls after I die just feels like cheating, so I typically don't bother.

Yeah you should probably do this. Losing your souls isn't this enormous punishment that everybody makes it out to be, and eventually you'll get far enough in the game where losing tens of thousands doesn't bug you in the slightest, but early in the game you need to level up consistently to progress.

Keep trying though, OP. I was late into the seires but it's by far the most played of my Steam games in the last two and a half years. It's one of the better games to come out in the last five years or so, and probably even longer than that. It gets better, I promise.
>>
>>318325363

You're right though i just like to grab it maybe cus of nostalgia. Besides that i think its pretty much well known that this weapon dont scale therefore beeing useless later.
>>
I bought this for 5 bucks.
I just beat the Taurus Demon boss and then a dragon burned me to death in a bridge.

what do
>>
>>318325737
Keep progressing across the bridge, you're going the right way.
>>
When you invade/get invaded does it show your Steam ID or char name?
>>
>>318324526

Lots of room for being a Paladin, but all the cleric stuff and the miracles you need are confined to a certain branch of the map (i.e. The Catacombs and then the Tomb of Giants underneath).

Also actually getting them can be awkward and you can fuck it up, which is hard to explain HOW without spoiling the game.

For example, all the best miracles are sold by a woman you save in the tomb of giants, but as soon as you save her and she moves to the Undead Parish, you need to buy EVERYTHING she has there and then. Which means saving all your edible souls until the point. If you don't do this, you'll regret it.

The upside is that provided you have killed the Capra Demon, you can go and get said miracles meaning you can get them really early in a playthrough, but getting to them is..not easy.

I mean you can attempt it but Faith builds are usually best left to a second playthrough.
>>
>>318325532>>
Introduced my friend to DS and lended him my xbox to play it. I'll probably play though again when I get it back. He just got battlefront for his ps4 so that should be soon
>>
>>318325873
Character name yes, Steam ID no. I actually miss GFWL sometimes, I loved sending people messages during co-op.
>>
>>318325840
Will I have to beat the boss again? I was taken to the bonfire previous to the boss.
>>
>>318320730

I already did a bit of exploring in the graveyards. The skeletons put a stop to that, but I did get a nice Estoc out of it. Also poked around in the underground area, but decided I probably wasn't meant to be there just yet after the first few times the ghosts ripped me to shreds.
>>
File: the_did_nothing_wrong_dance.gif (20 KB, 300x338) Image search: [Google]
the_did_nothing_wrong_dance.gif
20 KB, 300x338
>>318324065
My first run was long sword, Drake Sword, Claymore, and ended with a Great Lord Great Sword I was able to craft because a nice invader gave me a bunch of late game + dlc boss souls early on.
>>
>>318322238
I would like to add that taking the game slowly and learning the mechanics of the world has its place, however, you will not improve without aggressive experimentation.
Playing conservatively will make your losses feel worse. If you spend 10 minutes chipping away at an enemy, only to get viciously murdered near the end, you will remember the whole thing as a waste of time.

As a side note, i think finding a weapon that matches your tempo has an underestimated effect. You want to be able to intuit the timing, area of effect, and stopping power of your attacks, and each person will feel different in this regard. Don't lock yourself into a weapon just because it has superior stats. Experiment with everything you encounter.
>>
>>318325226
Ichi da bess
>>
>>318326109
Nope, bosses do not respawn like all other enemies.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.