[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>See Fallout 4 discussions on other boards >Someone criticizes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
>See Fallout 4 discussions on other boards
>Someone criticizes the story
>It's met with a sea of replies saying "LOL IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE STORY IN A BETHESDA GAME UR DOING IT WRONG!!!!"

What is the point in playing an RPG if you don't care about the story? Gameplay is shit in RPGs.
>>
File: Fallout4 2015-11-29 22-33-55.jpg (277 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fallout4 2015-11-29 22-33-55.jpg
277 KB, 1920x1080
bethesda games might as well be corridor shooters. barely anything you do affects the outcome.
>>
bethesda games haven't been rpgs in a long time

they're just hoarding simulators now
>>
>>318313845
qt
>>
...since when do RPGs need a story?

Undertale barely has a story and it's arguably the greatest RPG of all time.
>>
>>318314127
Bethesda Fallout games are not RPGs
>>
>>318314221
there are perks
that alone makes it an RPG
>>
File: 1507541881977118500.png (344 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1507541881977118500.png
344 KB, 800x450
me and my roommate touched upon this.

>week of release
>asks me what im looking forward to
>"Open world, weapons, companions"
>? Not the story?
>lolno

look there's two camps when it comes to Fallout 4:

those who expected something other than what we got, and those who expected exactly what we got.

only one camp is truly happy.

go whine elsewhere
>>
>>318313593
Bethesda and Bethesda fans seem to do that for a lot of their stuff. They have this protective bubble of "It's not a bug, it's a feature!" carefully cultivated since Morrowind

>Shit story
>Who cares about the story anyway?

>Tons of super obvious visual glitches
>They make great videoes!

>Horrible, stilted animations and character movement
>In their main office, they have a plant "clipping" through the office wall. They can make fun of themselves! Don't take it so seriously
>>
I'd say the worst thing in Bethesda games is melee combat
>>
Good Story doesn't always mean a good rpg. There are other elements that altogether contribute to a good rpg, story is one of the element.
>>
/b/ is the worst offender

Bethsdrones to the fucking bone
>>
I'd say the worst thing with Bethesda games is nothing you do matters.
>>
>>318313936

Story is the most important element in a rpg, since you know.. you are 'role playing' not playing a random post-apocalyptic shooter

Hell, story might be the most important thing in all genres
>>
>>318314605
Who still browses /b/? Do they not realize they should just move on to better boards that interest them?
>>
>>318314372
>look there's two camps when it comes to Fallout 4:those who expected something other than what we got, and those who expected exactly what we got.

This would've worked back in 2008 when Fallout 3 released and arguably nobody was doing what Bethesda were and the game was still graphically impressive, so we could excuse some of its shortcomings.

But it's 2015. Everything Fallout 4 does has been done and been done better by a large number of games. Managed expectations don't fix what is obviously falling behind the competition
>>
>>318314753
>Story is the most important element in a rpg
lol no, writing is. because writing and level/gameplay design in rpg are really close to each other. you cant have colorful and diverse c&c without writing and cant make player experience the game differently by half-assing design.
story is the most important part in a VN, not an rpg. It isnt even the most important part in an interactive movie.
>>
>>318314869

>it's 2015 meme!

oliver pls
>>
>>318314765
They really still think that you can carry a balanced conversation about any of the other boards subjects in a neutral setting
>>
>>318313593
>deliberately force a predefined character with a predefined backstory and voice on the player
>clear focus on more conventional storytelling
>LOL IT'S A BETHESDA GAME YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE IT
>>
File: ancxgn.gif (882 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
ancxgn.gif
882 KB, 320x180
>I like the less focus on RPG elements because in previous Fallouts I hated being encumbered by the complex level up screens and the ton of dialogue when talking to people
>I like the more defined protagonist with a voice because it was so tiresome trying to make up a character for the other games
>Why do you care about story in Fallout games, they are about blowing up people and exploring
Actual un-ironic opinions I've witnessed
>>
>>318315102
You're using the word writing wrong.
>>
>>318314343
>COD now is considered an RPG
>>
>>318315131
>I don't have a counterargument, so I'm just going to start spouting memes!
>>
I highly reccomend you try another medium. If you're playing any kind of video game for the story, you have some shockingly low standards.
>>
>>318315131
This is the only time when that argument is actually valid. There has been actual progress made in this field between eight years ago and the current year. By all means, they should have this stuff sorted out by now.
>>
>>318316028
Pretty much. We've reached a point where the next CoD has a better chance to have more RPG elements than the next Fallout or TES.
>>
>>318313593
Morrowind and Oblivion were the last Bethesda games with any right to be called a good story.

Morrowind came out 13 years ago. There are people on /v/ RIGHT NOW that were born after Morrowind came out.

Just ignore it.
>>
Fallout 3's story was shit, Skyrim's story was shit.

You should have seen this coming.
>>
>>318315767
But the reason you play fallout is for blowing people up and exploring

Why would you have video games as a hobby if you want a story
>>
>>318317821
Just because it's expected doesn't mean discussing it is out of the question. What the fuck is the matter with you?
>>
>>318317972
The story is the wrong thing to fixate on if you're trying to convince people how Fallout 4 is a bad RPG.

It's the lack of choices and consequences and the lack of impact that your character build has on anything other than shooting that you should be talking about.
>>
>>318313593
>Fallout 4
>RPG
>>
I can't even bring myself to finish the story. lvl 32 and the game simply bores me to death. Was up to building the teleporter but gave up, couldn't even bring myself to finish building my settlement.
At least in 3 if the map made sense if you thought people had been too scared to enter the city until recently, you had supermutants coming out of their vault and making their way east and then into the city, BOS where launching into the city from their base, gouls, raiders where all throughout the metro but all the factions din'dt feel like they where just randomly placed.
New Vegas map made sense with all the factions being in the right areas holding their own teritories, most gouls had a reason for being where they were.

Fallout 4's map however it just seems as though they placed the vaious groups randomly anywhere and everywhere and so many that they were all overlapping the others. One of the settlements is directly in the line of fire of a guard depot, you can stand in the middle of the settlement and the turret from the national guard training yard will be able to hit you during a goul raid. The map simply has far too many enemy camps in it and they are all far far to close together. DC guards literally walk right next to an alley where raiders are, super mutants are also all around them, GoodNeighbor is surrounded completely as well.

Everyone brings up how pre war food is still in Fallout 3 and how stupid that is, but it pales in comparrison to the amount of pre war food that is in the commonwealth, not to mention that there is vastly more people in the commonwealth and it was largely unaffected by the bombs, as opposed to washington DC where you could excuse people froim venturing too far in until recently.

All in all I feel sorry for the people who desinged the map, it could have been great if the didnt have a bunch of 2 year olds with different coloured stickers for the various factions randomly place them all over the map overlapping each other.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.