[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls 2 tips for new players.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: ds2-1418310781.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ds2-1418310781.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
So I just bought Dark Souls 2, and I've never really played a souls game before. Any tips I should know? I realize I'm a bit late, bbut I wanna try it out.
>>
not be a cunt
>>
>>318290041
Go slow, tread carefully, upgrade your weapons as often as you can, learn to block/parry/dodge.

>there will be memesters saying that DaS2 is bad
Shame
>>
Be sure to put points into adaptability. It makes your rolls give more invincibility frames which is a must have if you want to do well. Also don't equip so much gear that it makes your equip load go past 70%, it will make your character very slow and have bad rolls. Having multiple good weapons in your inventory is also a good idea because weapons break quickly, so being able to swap to something else is good. Also, get a mace. Lots of enemies in ds2 are big heavily armored guys and weapons that deal strike damage will absolutely destroy them.
>>
>>318290041
Look up how to find the two NPCs that let you buy weapons with boss souls if you don't find them on your own.
>>
>>318290041

For most builds, don't invest too many points in adaptability or endurance. For adp, you generally want enough to have 100 agility for additional i-frames. For END, poise isn't as useful as it was in DS, so rely more on dodging than tanking.

Only invest enough points into Str/Fa/Dex/Int to wield the weapons you want. If you have at least half the stats required for a weapon, you can 2-hand it and still use it efficiently.

Don't kill the fire keepers in Things Betwixt. You wont be able to use Soul Vessels and the 10 or so effigies you'd get aren't worth it.

Stay below 70% equip load to avoid slow rolling.
>>
expend npc dialogue
>>
Why not Dark Souls I instead?
It's a better game in every way.
>>
>>318290041
just take it slow and steady, there's a lot of gimmicky shit that will fuck you over if you aren't paying attention

pay attention to what items do and their stat scaling class (it'll be represented by a letter ie ABCDE)

explore stuff, always
>>
>>318291302
>30fps
>in a Souls game

L O L
>>
Why not Demon's Souls instead?
It's a better game in every way.
>>
>>318291302
This.
>>
>>318290041
get over 90 agility asap, i reccomend 100. it won't feel fair until then
>>
>>318290041
>Dark Souls 2 tips for new players.
Unless you have Scholar of the First Sin you might as well just uninstall
>>
>>318291381
nogames
>>
Stop reading and just play and skill what you think is right.
Half the fun of the series is to realize what you did wrong the first time.
>>
>>318291381
But Dark Souls is better than demon souls.
>>
>>318290041
Don't listen to epic memers saying that DaS2 is shit, it's a great game.

Make sure to put points into Adaptability, it gives your rolls more iframes. Rolling in general is better than blocking, but make sure that your equip load doesn't go past 70% or else you'll fatroll (you'll know it when you see it) 100 Agility is ideal.

Talk to everyone multiple times.

Watch your surroundings carefully, there are certain areas that will mob you with enemies if you rush in but you can almost always see them beforehand and take them one at a time. It's always good to carry a ranged weapon with you for these situations.

Any melee weapon that isn't obviously terrible is enough to carry you through the game, carry multiple weapons though since weapons can break.
>>
>>318290041
Blades do more damage to fleshy enemies. Blunt weapons do more damage or armored or rocky enemies. There are admittedly a lot more of the later this time around (as opposed to the opposite in DS1) so you will have an easier time focusing blunt weapons, potentially, but either way it wouldnt hurt to carry an upgraded weapon of either type to use as the situation requires.

The clerics starting mace is quite useful in the early game due to this, however.
>>
So this seems like an appropriate place to ask: is it worth getting the SotFS version if I've already played the original DkS2 (not the DLCs tho)? What's different in this version? Did they fix the fucking poise?

>>318290307
It's not bad, but it does feel a bit inferior to it's predecessors.
>>
>>318292075
I'd say yes, if you dont presently own the DLC for the earlier edition. Its certainly worth playing, really well done. The 'scholar' sidequest however has been pached into the original game as well, though, so if you just wanted to see that, you dont need anything new.

I believe it has enchanced visuals as well as different enemy/item placement, but that may be all.
>>
>>318291302
OP listen to this. I like DaS2 but one is a much, much better game. Play that instead, or Demon's. Dark Souls 2 is the bastard child of the series and should not be your first.

>>318291376
You can get 60fps very easily with a mod. You won't encounter any bugs unless you are playing on a toaster.
>>
>>318291913
105 Agility is the magic number (32 ADP), with the same number of iframes as the fast roll from DS1.
>>
File: 10 int.png (165 KB, 303x311) Image search: [Google]
10 int.png
165 KB, 303x311
>>318290041
If you're doing an all-melee build, keep a mace or some other strike weapon on you since almost everything's weak to strike. Put a few points in adaptability for those i-frame rolls. Keep your equip load under 70% for good rolls. Keep it slow and steady, the classic block-then-hit tactic will carry you through most of the game if you're patient. Don't try to be reckless with your strats unless you're completely sure they'll work since it's not worth dying. Talk to people a lot. Only upgrade weapons you're actually going to use.
>>
i have two questions as a total noob:
1. How do i restore humanity? Something with human effigies
2. How do i open illusory walls?
>>
>>318293534
1. use human effigy
2. press A near wall
>>
>>318293534
1. Use effigies or do co-op. If you successfully help someone defeat a boss, you turn back human.
2. You stand next to them and press "X" (or the equivalent of it, I used a PS3 controller). It's fucking retarded, I know.
>>
>>318293823
>>318293906
thanks
guess i was overthinking it
>>
>blast through DaS2 in a couple weeks after I got it a few months ago
>only stopped once I got into the DLC
Weird how the supposed best part of the game is what got me to finally stop playing. I think it's because it's a separate area and not part of a natural progress; I usually don't do AotA either.
>>
>>318294262
You "opened" illusory walls by hitting them in Dark Souls, also don't attack chests in this game to check for mimics because you destroy what is inside.
>>
Tips?

Play Dark Souls 1.
>>
I'm also new but i've played DeS and DaS before. If i want to do every npc's sidequests how obtuse are they compared to the other games? Are they completely out of the way?
>>
>>318295895
I don't even remember any sidequests from 2, I just played and 100%ed the game in the three months after it came out and haven't touched it since then. I will probably buy the first sin version on pc some day.
>>
>>318295243
shame, I enjoyed the DLCs and AotA a lot man, always do
>>
Alright this seems like a good thread to ask.

I just started Sotfs and I rolled a cleric trying to run some sort of Paladin build. Should I increase faith? That's what lets me use more spells like heal right?
>>
>>318296624
Faith is better miracle casting, heals etc. Heals are kind of redundant in Souls when you have estus flasks and grass, you can easily respecc if you don't like your build.
>>
>>318296624
Yes, miracles are based on faith. However, you might want to put some points into things like endurance or adaptability first since these stats make you more survivable in general. But, yes, if you want to use miracles, faith should be your main focus.
>>
>>318291302

I agree, it makes sense to start with DaS1 even if DaS2 is a loose sequel.

The only thing that's objectively better in DaS2 is the PvP but at this point it's almost dead anyway.
>>
>>318297971
>The only thing that's objectively better in DaS2 is the PvP

>everyone is a hex spamming havelmage with dual avelynns

I disagree.
>>
>>318297687
>>318297953
Alright cool.

I like the starting mace and it got me through the Forest of Giants pretty quickly. Worth upgrading? Or is there a better mace/club/hammer soon?

Also should I just buy armor? I'm still rocking the original Cleric robes.
>>
>>318298264
Don't really remember what weapons are good in DS2, but the game is designed so that you can beat the game with pretty much any weapon. Upgrade it, but try out new weapons when you get them.
>>
>>318296118
Get it on G2A, or when it's on sale for <$20
>>
>>318298849
The latter is the plan.
>>
>>318298169

It's not perfect but DaS is significantly worse, especially at high level.
>>
>>318290041
dark souls 2 being impossible is a normie meme, yeh it's a bit hard, but nowhere near impossible
>>
>>318298264
There's no "good" or "bad" weapons in Dark Souls. They are all about the same power, just with different speeds, movesets and elements.

For the mace, I think the starter one is the best. There's a nice one early on but it requires twinkling titanite to upgrade anyway so might as well use your normal titanite for the starter mace.
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Craftman's+Hammer
>>
>>318298264
As for the armor, it doesn't matter THAT much, since you should block/avoid attacks, but there's a great armor, the Drangleic set, found at the end of the forest of giants, after defeating the "2nd" boss, the Pursuer. Looks good, heavy armor with great defence without being too heavy. You'll need to upgrade your stamina a bit to be able to wear it without fat rolling though. Looks good for a paladin type.
>>
File: 31425245.png (179 KB, 298x280) Image search: [Google]
31425245.png
179 KB, 298x280
>>318290041
Tjena Viktor
>>
Use your white small soapstone liberally. When you get summoned, all you do is kill a few enemies and you get an item, humanity back, and all your magic/estus/durability restored.

The armor guy in Majula sells a 100% physical shield.

Don't swing at assholes hanging off of bridges. Most don't climb up and you're liable to fall.
>>
>>318292075
On PC the upgrade to Scholar is the same price as the bundle of DLC for the original. So unless you care about keeping your old saves or co-oping with friends who still play the original, definitely get Scholar. The DLC areas are all awesome and you'll want to play them a few times to see everything.

The enemy placement is improved in a lot of areas. That corridor before Velstadt is no longer a fucking slog against 7 giant knights, for example. They somehow made it worse in Drangleic Castle though. And there are more dark areas where a torch is required, which is nice. The skeleton tunnel that they showed off in that first trailer actually looks like it did in the trailer.
>>
>>318298264
Any weapon that upgrades with normal titanite and isn't obviously terrible is worth upgrading. By the time you reach NG+ you'll have more upgrade materials than you know what to do with. The mace is a solid weapon that can last you the whole game, but you'll get bored if you stick to one weapon. Try out as many as you can.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.