[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game really that bad? 90% off on steam, but everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9
File: header.jpg (43 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
43 KB, 460x215
Is this game really that bad?

90% off on steam, but everyone says its boring
>>
What are you smoking? The game is golden, go buy it schlomo and stop talking shit with your 20 years of wasted potential.
>>
its fucking great
>>
>>318269496
it's boring, linear, the guns suck, and it definitely ain't "oldschool" in any kind of way - no matter how the devs so try to claim.
>>
It's just nothing special. The katana combat is alright but the other weapons feel like they do no impact
>>
I don't remember saying any specific hate movement towards this game... Were you influenced by a couple of shitposters or something ?
>>
>>318269579

this,

I have no idea who had the idea of making it so you have to turn the game down to easy in order to make most of the guns kill stuff
>>
Game is too long. Like, way too long.
>>
>>318269579
>>318269664

They changed the balance with the dx11 update.
>>
>>318269664
>I'm terrible at video games

Look everyone and laugh at this pathetic piece of shit.
>>
>>318269496

Bought the game a few years ago and enjoyed it. Don't know why everyone is giving it flak, it harkens back to old shooters. Not a AAA game by any means, but still fun.
>>
>>318269807

You couldn't have missed his point more.
>>
I just hate the MC. He's a prime example of try-hard wannabe funny. Plus the whole dev team are bunch of morons who decided to "fight against racism!" with this title, thinking that the original SW3D was somehow "racist".

>>318269616
you just haven't lurked enough.

>>318269796
you're still using the fucking Katana 99% of the time, and I still strongly believe that an "level up" system has no place in an FPS games.

>>318269807
there's nothing to be terrible at. The game's just repetitious and boring as fuck.
>>
>>318269579
Retards have a misconception about oldschool. Being arcadey is what's like being oldschool. That's what the gas station memorabilia collecting mexican man said. Shadow Warrior is pretty arcadey.
>>
>>318269496
It's incredibly fun and a good bargain at that price. Who's talking shit about it?
>>
>>318269496
Everyone is retarded, Shadow Warrior was incredible
>>
>>318269873
>and I still strongly believe that an "level up" system has no place in an FPS games.

ok, it's not your game, we get it.
>>
>>318269873
>I just hate the MC. He's a prime example of try-hard wannabe funny. Plus the whole dev team are bunch of morons who decided to "fight against racism!" with this title, thinking that the original SW3D was somehow "racist".

So you didn't play the game.
>>
Protip: Don't play on hard, everything has way too much health and you'll generally be out of ammo most of the time if you don't do a katana build. Besides that it was ok. Just ok.
>>
>>318269895
/v/ is talking shit
>>
>>318269796
How much? Buffed guns?
>>
I thought Hard Reset was better
The guns in SW felt really bad and it had problems with AMD cpus last time I played
>>
Invisible walls: the game
>>
>>318269496
Well, the guns are useless, so there's no point in using them instead of the sword which is infinitely better, enemy variety is shit, bosses are done pretty badly, writing is decent though. It's probably worth the asking price of the -90% deal.
>>
can't wait for SW2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ45LTOwiwg
>>
>>318270073
>problems with AMD cpus last time I played

Played it on an old Athlon 5400+ 2.8GHz, had no problems.
>>
>>318269880
There's nothing arcadey about the neo-SW either.

One of the biggest probelms with it is the fact that all the other guns are useless, and the maps are linear pipes with forced "arenas" after every few steps, that completely stop the gameplay to a halt. That's a far cry from the original BUILD engine maps with multiple routes, plenty of vertical movement, and overall freedom with pre-set enemies.

>>318269975
I did. I just did not bother to finish it, since it ticked me in all the wrong ways.

>>318269956
it definitely isn't, and I can't believe that someone would DEFEND this "Unlock this skill to do more damage with pistols!" bullshit. It's an FPS; you're meant to SHOOT BETTER, not grind to make the guns perform at the expected levels.

Wanna see a successful modern, "oldschool" shooter? Play Serious Sam 3.
No matter how some people like to bitch about the first 4 maps being too CoD-like by the aesthetics, it's nothing but good ol' Sam.

>>318270169
>damage indicators
I can't wait to totally ignore it
>>
>>318270208
>I can't wait to totally ignore it
can be turned off
>>
>>318270169
Is this Dying Light 2: Japanese Boogalo?
>>
File: 65474563.png (3 MB, 1917x1055) Image search: [Google]
65474563.png
3 MB, 1917x1055
>>318269496
The game is fantastic, mate. Does anyone know a way to just explore the scenery without having to fight anything?
>>
>>318270208
Serious Sam 3 is pretty bad too i would say.
SS1 > Painkiller > SS2 > SW > SS3
>>
File: 1448554367397.jpg (84 KB, 627x627) Image search: [Google]
1448554367397.jpg
84 KB, 627x627
It's good, really enjoyable; at least for one playthrough. Fast paced, cool weapons and demon abilities. However it can and will get repetitive over time. It certainly overstays it's welcome.

Overall i'd say its a 7/10 but it's better than what most AAA developers shit out. This game has some real effort put on it and it shows with its oddly charming nature.

also what the fuck was that ending all about? it lead up to nothing. so disappointing.
>>
>>318270431
>SS2 even on the list
get lost.
>>
>>318270443
The new update added a new boss fight scene and new ending I think.
>>
>>318270574
It's pretty creative and varied. Which is more than i can say about SS3.
>>
The gameplay is fun, and I actually liked mixing things up with the katana and guns (although the katana is OP as fuck).

The biggest problem with the game is actually the level design. You go from straight corridors to open areas that are too open. One of the lab areas at the end of the game is absolutely huge, and not in a ggod way because of the multiple backtracking you have to do in it.

I actually agree with the too long comment as well - the levels should have been shorter to encourage replayability is they wanted an arcade feel.

For the sale price it is a good deal. The gunplay is enjoyable and you can get some fun upgrades for the weapons you like.
>>
>>318270716
It allows you to fight Zilla actually from what i understand.
Shit, i need to do a new playthrough.
>>
>>318270716
a boss fight that force you to use the katana as opposed to old boss fights that forced you to use your guns.
>>
>>318269496
Its definitely a good game but the shooting feels kind of weak and unresponsive. The game is like 15 hours long, which is a plus, but after a while it just feels like its dragging on and on. I still recommend it
>>
>>318269496
I enjoyed it.

It's definitely linear and repetitive, but for a straight-up no-nonsense shooter it's simply a lot of fun.
>>
>>318270736
>It's pretty creative and varied.
it's literally modern CoD.
More so since CoD already adapted wall-running and parkour couple years ago.

This shit is just staining Lo Wang's reputation.
>>
>>318269496
It was great fun, I have no idea what you're going on about OP.
>>
Better than ROTT at least.
>>
>>318270431
I hated 3 and I was so hyped until I actually played

>aim down sights

>sprint

kill me
>>
>>318270431
>>318270208
I'm so sick of this shitty "Serious Sam and Painkiller are good old-school games" meme.

If you think being herded from one bland arena to the next where the doors lock behind you until you've killed 9000 enemies spawning out of nowhere so you can do it all over again in the next room is "old school", you must be pretty damn underage.
>>
>>318269496

Katana action is fun but gets old
>>
I think it's fun, but level design gets much less interesting when it goes from colourful Oriental gardens to generic, dull facilities.
>>
>>318271391
>being herded from one bland arena to the next where the doors lock behind you until you've killed 9000 enemies spawning out of nowhere so you can do it all over again in the next room

sounds exactly like neo-Shadow Warrior
>>
>>318270208
You seem very passionate about this.
>>
>>318271654
It's sounds a lot like 99% of these faux-retro pieces of shit.

At some point someone decided that was what "old school" means, and for some retarded reason everyone just went along with it.
>>
>>318271227
I on the other hand was totally skeptic about it BEFORE I played it.

The game is great, gets better and better towards the end, and the gameplay additions make the combat tad more tactical, rather than just being S + M1 all the time.
>>
>>318271754
I am passionate about games.
When I like something, I love it with passion.
When I dislike something, I hate it with passion.

When kids think they know everything, I beat them up with passion.
>>
>>318269873
Wait, didn't they get the memo that the old Lo Wang was making fun of badly dubbed Asian movies? That was the whole point, not some empowering minority being badass.
>>
>>318271776
Then what is old-school sempai?
>>
>>318271830
the biggest turn off to me besides that was desert areas again
>>
File: Blood_logo[1].jpg (18 KB, 291x350) Image search: [Google]
Blood_logo[1].jpg
18 KB, 291x350
>fucking SW of all games gets a reboot

When will it be Blood's turn, anons? When?
>>
>>318272124
tfw never probably

I hope though
>>
>>318271976
Large levels with alternate paths, secret doors and shit, enemies being actual enemies you kill because they're shooting at you, not because you need to raise the kill counter to unlock the next door (because, get this, you need a FUCKING KEY to unlock that door).
>>
>>318272224
What if the key is located inside a demon's belly?
>>
>>318269496
gets a little repetitive half way through but its a solid FPS
>>
File: sw 2015-06-20 12-17-29-20.webm (3 MB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
sw 2015-06-20 12-17-29-20.webm
3 MB, 600x400
>>318269496
It's great.
>>
>>318269496
I have a 75% off coupon to make it 97.5% off.
>>
>>318272339
Why would a demon want to eat a key?
>>
>>318272434
>premia do karmy
>>
>>318272621
Because the Game Master forced him to.
>>
>>318272696
The game master is a dick.
>>
>screaming, teleporting katana women
>berserkers that you can only damage by hitting their backs
>shamans that summon enemies then shield themselves

The enemies were annoying as fuck in this game.
>>
It's fun using katana all the time.

Bosses were bad though.
>>
>>318269873
>I still strongly believe that an "level up" system has no place in an FPS games.
well you can suck a dick because plenty of great games are fps and have a level up system.

deus ex, for a prime example.
>>
File: SHADOW WARRIOR.jpg (22 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
SHADOW WARRIOR.jpg
22 KB, 367x500
>>318269664
>>318269579
>they used guns

How do you miss the point of the game so badly?
>>
>>318270208
>One of the biggest probelms with it is the fact that all the other guns are useless
bulllshit. I barely used the sword because I prefer shooting and beat the game no problem on hardest difficulty. Yeah, the sword was overpowered, but in no way were the guns useless.

>"Unlock this skill to do more damage with pistols!"
that's not what was in the game. How the fuck are you claiming you played the game if you're not gonna use examples of actual powers you unlock trough the level system?
>>
>enemies don't react upon getting hit
>bullet sponge enemies - the game

Why do devs keep doing this. Who finds these fun?
>>
File: 1429446960641.jpg (38 KB, 320x262) Image search: [Google]
1429446960641.jpg
38 KB, 320x262
>Game has loads of secrets
>Prevents backtracking by not having manual saves and constantly blocking locking doors behind you
>Impossible to tell which way leads to a secret and which is the one you're supposed to go
>>
>>318271830
>S + M1
That's an absurdly reductive statement about originals, and a valid one for a ton of encounters in 3, where designers didn't bother to put any barriers or enemies behind you, so you get to run away from melee enemies through half of the level.
>>
I would definitely pick it up on sale, it was really fun. While ago since I played it, the only bad thing I can really remember was not that much enemy variety.
>>
>>318269579
It was a better "old school shooter" than Wolfenstein TNO
>>
>>318269796
Could you elaborate? I struggle to find any useful info.
>>
>>318269496

It's OK at first, but I got bored quick and was glad when it was over.

They don't know how to do "retro", they think it means having big rooms and 60 enemies at once, while having NOTHING to kill for entire minutes at a time and having to open every fucking drawer and cupboard you can.

It gets old fast. Same minibosses over and over.

Better get PainKiller or Bulletstorm or Hard Reset. Same devs but all these games are better than SW.
>>
>>318271915
Apparently the current devs considered said parodying of asian films to be racists.
>>
>>318269496
Play the DEMO first, then decide.
From that alone, I was able to tell that it's definitely not my thing. Boring and generic as fuck.
>>
>>318271391
>>318271391
>If you think being herded from one bland arena to the next where the doors lock behind you until you've killed 9000 enemies spawning out of nowhere so you can do it all over again in the next room is "old school", you must be pretty damn underage.

Smash TV and Total Carnage and Zombies ate my neighbors were all like this.
>>
I enjoyed it. Play it in short bursts though, its not really a game to marathon.
>>
>>318270169
I sure hope they fucking reduce the size of the sword model. Shit is cutting through the fucking screen.
>>
File: 1435581178853.jpg (21 KB, 471x480) Image search: [Google]
1435581178853.jpg
21 KB, 471x480
>>318269664
I dug the game a lot, but there's a few bullet sponge enemies that take way too many fucking hits.

Those big skeleton cunts that summon enemies take so many fucking bullets to drop it's annoying.

Still really enjoyed the game and the art style it had, beyond a few nit picks it's a really good game. Has easily some of the best boss fights I've ever seen in a shooter.
>>
>>318271391
They draw from old school, but are actually in their own niche that doesn't have a good name, so some use the second closest thing.
>>318278070
"Old school" refers to the old ways of the genre in question.
>>
I got it at 90% off stacked with the coupon from alienware arena so I got it for less than 2 dollars. Im about 6 hours into it and its pretty great especially for that price
>>
>>318269496
What? It's an awesome game OP.
>>
>>318277964
>generic

Boring is pretty subjective, but how was the game generic at all? What other shooters would you compare this to?

>>318272224
You're right about that, the level design is nothing like Doom, Duke, or the original Shadow Warrior. There's a few sections were it kinda becomes like that but it's SUPER minimal. Even some dumb reviewer complained about the game being too much like the old school shooters.

I would love to see some really well done Quake-esque level design, not overly heavy on the key hunting but still well layed out with a bunch of well designed paths and traps. I still feel like Quake has some of the best level design in a game.
>>
Like a handful of other people are saying, it overstays its welcome, the guns lack a punch, and it overall gets mind-numbingly repetitive, but it has some very nice setpieces and the gore system is pretty nice.
>>
>>318280771
>What other shooters would you compare this to?
Most things made after 2003, with cancer of post-2005 added on top.
>>
>>318271902
autist spotted
>>
>>318272434
>wait, something's wrong with that sword...
>AWW SHIET
>>
>>318269496
It's great. The only problem is that the boss fights suck, but there are only 3 of them so it's not game ruining. It's closer to being worth the full $40 they were asking on launch than most other games that ask that much and it's totally worth it at 90% off.
>>
>>318281735
Nice specific names you dropped there bro.
>>
>>318280845
To add to this about the gore system, it's also one of the few games where it actually really fucking matters. Taking off limbs can directly affect what attacks some enemies can do, so you've got to plan how you'll dismember your enemy before rushing in.
>>
>>318282597
the post-2005 games are all this near identical mass of gray. It's gotten even worse during 2010s
>>
BORING?

Nigga, this game is the absolute SHIT

One of my favorite shooter/action game this decade, can't wait for the sequel.
>>
>>318270169
kek these over the top reloads are kinda great
>>
File: shadow_warrior_5.jpg (804 KB, 1680x1028) Image search: [Google]
shadow_warrior_5.jpg
804 KB, 1680x1028
>>318282857
That's a weekend post quality if I ever saw one.
>>
>>318269496
I found it kind of boring, especially towards the end. My biggest gripes were bullet sponge enemies, overuse of explosions and weak guns.

But then again I thought Wolfenstein TNO was rather disappointing as well, so make of that what you will.
>>
It's honestly pretty boring, especially on higher difficulties. Enemies, especially the greater demons and bosses are huge fucking bullet sponges. I ran out of ammo on multiple occasions and were forced to wail at the greater demons with the katana after everything else in the room was killed. The high difficulties aren't exactly challenging either since the enemies don't really do that much damage and it's extremely easy to dodge around the corner and heal.

I want to know what the fuck they were thinking with Zilla in particular. He has the most predictable moveset in the entire game (oh gee, he disappeared, wonder if he is going to give me a 10 second break and attack me from behind with Hoji announcing his "surprise attack" to me for the 30th time), is the most bullet spongy encounter and you have to fight him fucking twice, with both fights having the exact same movesets and "strategies" for beating him. I can't honestly think of a worse video game boss fight.

As for the good points it's commendable that the game rewards exploration and there's a good amount of secrets to discover. The environments also look pretty nice. For a few € it's not a complete waste of money, but it's definitely not something memorable or a game you could recommend to anyone either.
>>
>>318270431
Fuck off, Serious Sam 3 was decent
>>
>>318272124
I hope never, from what I've seen none of these reboots are as good as their originals
>>
>>318269496
Don't be a faggot. Play the original.

On that note, why does SWP keep corrupting saves?
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.