[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you grow out of achievements?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 19
File: 1440536796056.jpg (5 KB, 208x250) Image search: [Google]
1440536796056.jpg
5 KB, 208x250
When did you grow out of achievements?
>>
never
>>
I never "grew" into achievements.
>>
at least they show me how many people can't bring up the patience to finish the games they buy but other than that they are useless
>>
I always thought achievements were kind of pointless.
>>
I never grew in them.
>>
I still think they're fun.
>>
>>318263817
This.
Fuck that shit. We didn't need them in old games, we don't need them now. Most achievements are lazily done.
Secrets and Easter eggs are much more creative in my opinion.
If there's anything games these days lack is solid unlockables. Most of it has been moved to shitty DLC.
>>
Depends

Fun achievements where it requires efforts and you might not automatically get them in a get go are fun, like on HL2 for example

Stuff like "start the game" or "play the game for the first time" are made to fill the achievements quotas
>>
>>318264086
it's the same as all these stars and shit you could collect in old games to finish them 100%. i didn't do this but people who did and hate achievements are a bit hypocritical
>>
>Achievements

The only people who actually hunt for virtual gamer credit rewards are Trophy hunters. Probably because Trophies are done much better than Achievements/Gamerscore, despite being copies.
>>
When did you grow out of posting feels shit?
>>
>>318264205
>quotas
The only 'use' for them outside of idiots that expect achievements in every game is to track progress, see how many players actually played the game past the start/level 2 etc
>>
File: natural camouflage.jpg (551 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
natural camouflage.jpg
551 KB, 2880x1800
I grew into them

Just like I grew out of playing games on normal for the first time and moved to hard
>>
File: 1362371846163.jpg (28 KB, 240x198) Image search: [Google]
1362371846163.jpg
28 KB, 240x198
>mfw I legitimately enjoy achievements/trophies
They're fun sometimes.
>>
File: 1443660492311.png (382 KB, 1224x377) Image search: [Google]
1443660492311.png
382 KB, 1224x377
achievements is a great way to see if someone have shit taste or not.

Here are some examples of shit taste

http://psnprofiles.com/YNA_p4u7
http://psnprofiles.com/nyonmyan
http://psnprofiles.com/RoboAddy
http://psnprofiles.com/BlackSeraph-X
http://psnprofiles.com/FortyPercent
>>
>>318263573
i would always try to collect do everything in a game anyway so achievements became an easy way to track that kind of stuff
i dont get way people would be against having achievements in a game because its not like it take anything away from the game itself
there are pointless achievements but that doesnt matter at all
>>
File: goldeneye_007_cheats.jpg (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
goldeneye_007_cheats.jpg
43 KB, 640x480
>>318263573
Once they stopped unlocking things.
>>
The only game that good flooded with achievements I played was WoW and back in the day before it had those I had so much more great moments of victory that made me happy and less and less with something golden popping up. It's more of a notification in many games that you made it to a certain part of the game you would be anyway. It would be more fun if games didn't hand them out left and right. Completing a simple step you would do anyway is not an "achievement"
>>
>>318263817
Same here.
I'd rather get collectibles if they're fun to get.
>>
Never cared about them but at some point I started trophy collecting but now I've calmed down again.

Got like 46 plats and some really tough ones, now I take things slow.

Never really reached the autistic point of "buying easy shitty games just for the trophies", fortunately
>>
?

Achievements weren't around when I was growing
>>
>>318263573
When I got bored of them and moved on to my next pawn.

Does that answer your question, roach?
>>
>>318264463
Every webcomic uses the same. fucking. font.
>>
>>318263573
Never got into them
>>
>>318264686
That's why it's called comic sans, idiot.
>>
>>318263573
Never really got into them but I had a few friends into them

I don't really understand them. I would go after them occasionally if it directly unlocked something in the game but that's it
>>
>>318264553

>doesn't like achievements
>likes collectibles

they are almost literally the same thing

artificial ways to extend playtime without putting real effort into extending the game
>>
I like in-game achievements where you actually get tangible rewards for doing things

But the tacked-on "trophy" shit on consoles and Steam are absolutely retarded and meaningless
>>
File: achievements.jpg (54 KB, 640x407) Image search: [Google]
achievements.jpg
54 KB, 640x407
achievements work in scenarios like "kill X amount of enemies on level 6 during the Y event in less than 5 minutes", or "kill X boss while doing Y thing on hard mode"

the ones that you get just for beating a level are retarded and are literally pic related
>>
>>318263573
I never liked them to begin with. The problem is that they're nothing more than leaderboard shit. And what's worse is that they actually replaced unlockables in a lot of cases in modern games with just some blimp telling you that you "did it".

Combine this with DLC/microtransactions and unlockables are all but gone and games are just money sifters.
>>
I only really like achievements in grand strategy games because they give me ideas for what to do next

I still enjoy getting them in games though
>>
>>318263573
Story-related trophies are great for checking your pals' progress, specially if they are always memeing around about the game flavour of the month.
Anyone complaining about them is a massive hypocrite who doesn't want to be called out for shilling, or at least for being a spoiled brat who burns tons of cash on shit he doesn't even try playing for more than the opening cutscene thanks to his ADHD
I couldn't care less about optional trophies tho. you want to waste your life grinding for 9847231984 monsters then go ahead, it will only prove your undisputed NEETdom
>>
>>318263573
When I realized it was all just a game to me, you filthy roach.
>>
File: Postal 2 day achievements.png (98 KB, 846x542) Image search: [Google]
Postal 2 day achievements.png
98 KB, 846x542
Shovel Knight was so fucking fun I used the achievements as an excuse to keep on playing. Beside that I only care when the game have achievements boost your character stats.

>>318263973
Image related. I can understand not doing the weekend on Postal 2 but how can you not complete the week when the game is so fucking short?
>>
>>318264892
at this point you are more meme than man
>>
Got my 360 in 2006 and was pretty into them. I never sought out easy games just for the achievements though like some idiots did. But once I got my PS3, the trophy system was kind of shit. I guess I realized how stupid they were and that carried over when I got an X1. I don't even look at the list anymore.
>>
>>318263573
Call of Duty 4 was the only game I really tried to get all achievements for. Mile High Club on Veteran with an Xbox 360 controller? Fuck that.
>>
>>318264874
>leaderboard
have you ever thought about the possibility of people using it as a personal checklist, instead of using it only for bragging rights?
>And what's worse is that they actually replaced unlockables in a lot of cases
such as? don't come with bullshit like "Batman Arkham Knight doesn't let you play as Bane" because your can't replace something that never existed in the first place.
>>
>>318265037
>UR A MEME
nice argument bro
>>
I never grew into them. I do like clever achievements that make you see parts of a game that you usually don't see. But achievements such as "defeat a gorillion enemies with this weapon" are just stupid.

I can't even say that they're a good measure for devs to track how far the players get, because thanks to Steam sales people just horde games and never play them.
>>
>>318264770
Not really. Both are optional, yes, but that's about it. One actually has some context in the game and typically unlock something in game if done (collectables in this regard). And on top of that it's literally about doing it of your own volition without something "influencing" you to do it. Achievements are this bullshit "Bet you can't do it, here's the task". Then they proceed to make the laziest bs ever just to waste the players fucking time.

With collectables and other in-game mechanics your not "influenced" to do them. It says a lot about a game that a player will continue playing even without some outside motivator like achievements urging them to do pointless shit.

I realize for some (myself included) that collectables are pointless half the time. However, nothing is trying to influence the player to do them. It means the devs actually had to put them in there with some level of thought.

Achievements aren't "extra content" and they are horrendously easy to make. All they are are skinner box "challenges" to get people to spend more time on something that doesn't deserve it in the first place. Not so different from everyone saying that a "hard" game that just pits lazy, magnet tracking ai and more HP and enemies on screen are is okay and call people pussies for not wanting to waste their time doing it. Fuck that, demand better difficulty out of a game.

Anyways, the moment someone says, "I'm just finishing up the trophies/achievements", I say "Well, that game ended at that point." Because it's lost all usefulness by that time.
>>
>>318265437
why? the amount of people who finish the game and got the respective trophy for doing it won't suddenly get delisted.
they can still estimate how many were willing to finish it.
>>
>>318265216
ok, how about this

if you want people to take you seriously try not using 4chan buzzwords and write a coherent paragraph
>>
>>318264513
Thank you, anon.
>>
>>318265578
I don't see how that's any different for collectibles, this is all up to your own projection over how the game is presenting them to you.
Assassin's Creed got all those fucking feathers that just waste your time too.
>>
>>318264843
Those kind piss me off though. It's like those AssCreed challenges that get all in your face if you don't "do them right". Fuck that BS.

If you want to taunt that your game has options and show off your good design don't demand such a very specific way to do something that suddenly variation is thrown out the window lest the player be subjected to "FAILED OPTIONAL MISSION". They failed as designers.
>>
File: 1448645561740.png (327 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448645561740.png
327 KB, 500x500
I buy achievements only for achivements and trading cards, if the game doesn't have any of these 2 I don't buy it.
>>
>>318265740
okay, how about this
if you actually had an argument, you wouldn't be this pedantic
you also wouldn't be complaining about 4chan things while posting on 4chan
>>
>>318265865
I buy games*
>>
>>318265159
Using it as a checklist is still a problem though. The player is being told what to do and following up. They aren't doing it of their own volition at that point.

And let's not pretend that most games today aren't gimping out content that was obviously available in the past. I mean for fucks sake look at the fighting game genre. And as far as Batman goes, yes older open world games did have unlockable characters. Just because their wasn't a "Open world Batman" game it's still a genre specific example.

They are just as greedy as others. I mean... please. You have to pay for fucking skins... SKINS. That shit is the easiest fucking thing to make. They don't even have to animate it differently. It's attached to the same fucking skeleton.

Demand more out of your games otherwise your just fueling the DLC train, son.
>>
>>318263573
Dumb Roachposter.
>>
>>318265862
thats why i think achievements should just be on some optional menu or in game book, instead of an optional objective under your main objective.

giving people an extra challange that is 100% optional and not shoved in your face is a great way to give your game longevity, and you can even award cosmetics or shit (if the game is single player)
>>
>>318263573
When I stopped playing on my 360 and didn't get the new gen console.
>>
>>318265829
>Assassin's Creed got all those fucking feathers that just waste your time too.
They do and that's bad, but there's never a time where your pressured to do it.

On top of that, unlike achievements, there are good examples of collectables such as Banjo Kazooie or Super Mario (any 3D one). These do unlock things and are properly integrated into the game through challenges built specifically for them.
>>
>playing sandbox game
>"find all collectables! 100/1000"

After the third/fourth game that did this shit
>>
>>318266176
>The player is being told what to do and following up. They aren't doing it of their own volition at that point.
any game with story objectives does the same thing, it incentives you to keep advancing towards something specific, telling you what to do.
getting an achievement for finishing a story objective and actually doing it are both serving the same purpose.
>>318266308
>but there's never a time where your pressured to do it.
fucking bullshit
no game demands you to 100% all trophies to "allow" you to stop playing it. this pressure comes from your own OCD, who can't see a 60% on that trophy list and feels hopelessly forced to complete everything.
>>
>>318265880
because no one wants to argue some retard who uses words like
>shilling
>memeing
>NEETdom
while still expecting to be given a straight answer
>>
File: draw your sword denam.png (157 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
draw your sword denam.png
157 KB, 480x272
>>318263573

>Grow out of
I grew up before they existed, so that'd be fairly hard to do

If anyone is seriously addicted to achievements/trophies, I hope you realize that no one is impressed by your e-peen. In fact, nobody even views your Steam page or trophy page.

And on the other end of it, go research "external and internal rewards" in any gamedev community. They'll tell you why it's dumb. Then they'll tell you why they still want achievements because it's an easy metric to track player progress, i.e. 40% of players reached Chapter 3 if an auto-achievement is placed right at the beginning of it.
>>
File: 1411592522570.gif (1 MB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1411592522570.gif
1 MB, 245x245
>>318265880
>pedantic
>>
>>318266214
>i think achievements should just be on some optional menu
and... they are?
>giving people an extra challange that is 100% optional and not shoved in your face
I don't see how it's being shoved in your face. why do you feel forced to do them? is the game closing off parts of the campaign until you get specific achievements?
>>
>>318266512
>>318266616
> you used these two words here and there, so your argument is invalid
*insert smug anime loli reaction face*
>>
>>318266712
>this butt blasted
>>
>>318266869
>no more arguments left
good to know
>>
>>318264752
That's not comic sans, idiot.
>>
>>318266962
>literaly fuming
>>
I have many different accounts for the different games i play so no
>>
Delete this thread feelposting cunt
>>
>>318263817
this
>>
>>318265935
>buying games
>>
File: There Is No Joke Here.jpg (34 KB, 199x343) Image search: [Google]
There Is No Joke Here.jpg
34 KB, 199x343
The only worthwhile achievements are ones that reward
>>
File: shantae a cute.png (64 KB, 647x199) Image search: [Google]
shantae a cute.png
64 KB, 647x199
Sometime they give you a reason to keep playing a game you enjoyed
>>
>>318263973
>buy game
>play for abiut two hours
>find it shitty
>never play
>friends think i sont have patience to finish a game.
>>
>>318266459
Stop being reasonable on /v/, it's against the rules
>>
>>318264582
They always were, just in different forms.
>>
>>318264770
Not really, for example in platformers well placed collectibles can give you a nice challenge.
>>
>>318271507

And achievements can give you a nice challenge as well.

Achievements can encourage you to play games in ways you normally wouldn't.

For example, casual players who normally only do easy or medium may push through hard mode for achievements. Or maybe people who normally go in guns blazing will try stealth at some point for achievements, or melee only.
>>
>finish The Last of Us on hard difficulty
>5% trophies done

That's when I stopped giving a shit
>>
>>318271507
What about achievements in game like meat boy when you have achievements for clearing a world without dying?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (12 KB, 445x76) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
12 KB, 445x76
What's the worst achievement you've ever come across?

>pic related
>>
>>318263573
immediately upon realizing they were replacing in-game unlockables
>>
>>318273284
All the grindy ones in No More Heroes.
>>
File: Just SAM my shit up.png (24 KB, 956x86) Image search: [Google]
Just SAM my shit up.png
24 KB, 956x86
>>318273284
>>
>>318273401
DLC is replacing unlockables, not trophies/achievements.
>>
File: I8pwLnn[1].png (54 KB, 264x189) Image search: [Google]
I8pwLnn[1].png
54 KB, 264x189
If there are any achievement whores here, i DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to 100% Tales of Maj'eyal.
>>
File: 1381901258156.gif (914 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1381901258156.gif
914 KB, 300x169
Achievements are the only thing which keeps me playing new games. I love them.

>Complete whole game without dying
>>
File: dr.png (25 KB, 443x442) Image search: [Google]
dr.png
25 KB, 443x442
>There are people on /v/ right now who didn't get this achievement on an original 20gb 360
>>
>>318273284
Spore had an achievement that required one of your creations to be banned. It was the most retarded bit of game design I've ever seen.

They removed it, though.
>>
>>318269915
>let's start reading harry potter to see what it's all about
>read two first pages
>REEE WHERE IS THE MAGIC AND WIZARDS EXPLODING SHIT
it's a good way of seeing retards who impulse buy shit but don't actually want to play them
>buys 30+ hour story-focused game
>find initial 10 minutes boring, doesn't care for any characters or lore
>somehow it's the game's fault for not infodumping you fast enough while including Michael Bay explosions to help keeping your attention on it
>>
Nearly every steam game I play is modded so I never had a chance to really try to acheivement-whore when they first started coming out. I also never had a 360/ps3.

Why people have decided to let other people decide how they know when they are finished with a game I'll never understand.
>>
A good way to find out who is intellectual inferior is to see if they care about achievements.

It's always the low trailer trash and mentally feeble who chase after them.
>>
File: 1386416539661.jpg (49 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
1386416539661.jpg
49 KB, 469x463
>>318274945
Well spoken sir
>>
Doing a no gold run in Spelunky is fun challenge. I don't I would have thought to do it otherwise.
>>
>>318274358
Game crashed twice while I was trying to get this achievement.
>>
>>318273284
That Turok game for the Xbox had an achievement for team killing.
>>
>>318264463
source on game?
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.