[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a friend who is a pretty big Sonic fan. I on the other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1418118267165.png (26 KB, 285x234) Image search: [Google]
1418118267165.png
26 KB, 285x234
I have a friend who is a pretty big Sonic fan. I on the other have only played Sonic 1 and thought it was novel but not really that great.

Today she gifted me Sonic Adventure 2 on steam out of nowhere, but its on sale so I can see why. She told me I would love this one and that it would take me back to early 3D gaming, which is cool with me. I like platformers from that era. So I started the hero side and saw some silly cutscene but apparently Sonic is cool and has a free spirit attitude. What came next was one of the coolest levels I've ever played, City escape. Fun, fast level design coupled with a great cheesy song and that ending sequence was 10/10. What came next was one of those treasure hunting levels as knuckles. I've heard for years that those are infamous for being terrible but I actually really liked that canyon stage too, and that rapping was pretty dank 2bh. Next was the shooting stage as tails and thats where shit went down. Holy fuck the shooting levels are bad with that tiny cramped design and weighty movement.

I kept playing up until the second tails level, think it was called mission street. The level opened up a bit and cities at nights are one of my favorite settings so that level was better but still the movement and gameplay just was kind of dull. But the sonic and knuckles stages are fucking 10/10 so far, and the graphics and sound design hold up really well for being 15 years old. I found a chao garden key in a box and got teleported there but I didnt know what to do in the garden. I just saw an egg and kept throwing it until it opened. Was very boring 2bh

Is this an odd opinion? Loving sonic/knuckles levels but disliking tails levels and the chao shit thats tacked on for virgins to obsess over?
>>
onky good knux levels are pumkin hill and aquatic mine, tails levels suck but for some reason i like almost all the eggman levels
>>
I have seen people saying they loved Sonic/Shadow levels and Knuckles/Rouge levels, so yeah, your opinion isn't unpopular, except when you found Chao Garden being boring.
>>
>>318257689
unexpected opinion you would normally hear when someone plays sa2
>>
YOU KNOW ME THE FIGHTING FREAK KNUCKLES
>>
File: image%3A79663.png (6 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
image%3A79663.png
6 KB, 320x224
>>318257689
yo nigga hook yoself up with a genesis emulator - Fusion is the best one and then play the best Sonic experience of all time.

https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_Complete_(hack)
>>
nope that's a pretty common opinion

then the later levels get convoluted designed and the camera starts fucking you over constantly

sa1 is better imo
>>
>>318258684
fampai, pumpkin hill has to be one of the top 3 levels in the game. that setting and soundtrack was literally perfection.

>>318258827
>>318258839
hm alright then. I mean the tails stages have some potential but if the level design keeps cramping him to hallways instead of having slightly more open paths like mission street did, then its going to suck. The chao garden is easily the worst part of the game though, no debate about that.

>>318259073
thanks brother. After this I'm gonna buy sonic adventure 1 and then try other games.

>>318259161
Doing after i beat SA2.

I assume the dark story has the same 3 playstyles and settings as the hero story just with different characters? I'm game for that and playing as eggman sounds fucking awesome
>>
File: 79664.png (408 KB, 800x1120) Image search: [Google]
79664.png
408 KB, 800x1120
>>318259559
If you have an iPhone or Android phone: they have the best ways of playing Sonic 1 and 2. Hell, you might actually like Sonic 1 this time. Sega hired a godly fan from the community to work on these enhanced editions, he remade the game from the groundup in his special engine and includes many new features.

Sonic CD on Steam was made by him as well. But just a heads up, classic Sonic games weren't about just speed only. They focused on platforming with hints of speed which is what made some people misunderstand these games and get frustrated it's not always about being fast.

Sonic 1 = them learning the ropes of making a Sonic game.

Sonic 2 = a bit more linear than the classic series but it's very enjoyable and can be played the fastest.

Sonic CD = nearly exploration based as the levels are really large and vertical.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles = perfected classic Sonic gameplay. The speed of Sonic 2 mixed with exploration and multiple paths of Sonic CD. This is the height of the series.

Hope my post wasn't too long or boring I just wanted to be useful.
>>
>>318260095
Thats fine i appreciate it actually. I dont think I'm revisiting sonic 1 soon but i'll go to sonic 2. I only have a flipphone and i would never game on a touchscreen phone anyway so thats completey out of the question. Im gonna go back eventually and beat all those. But first I want to play the 3D games since they look more fun. Maybe after heroes?
>>
>>318260652
Arguably Heroes is where the series got fucked up. Your enjoyment may vary greatly with it.

The game Shadow the Hedgehog is so bad it's good. Sonic 06 is a disaster that can be laughed at for how catastrophically bad it is.

Sonic Unleashed is really polarizing since the game is split in 2: night and day sections. The day time are the most fun shit ever. If you don't wanna play the night levels you're in luck.

Sonic Generations on PC has a ton of fun mod levels including all of Sonic Unleashed's daytime levels called the Unleashed Project. Or Project Unleashed. Generations is an awesome comeback game by the way.

Sonic Colors on Wii is pretty great and you can emulate it with Dolphin.

Sonic Lost World is on Steam and it's alright. It's a really polarizing game because it's very different. As long as you don't try getting every red ring you might have a good time.

I'm not gonna acknowledge Sonic 4 or Sonic Boom.
>>
>>318261159
Damn nigga you know a lot. Its not a bias I just like newer 3D games more than 2D gaming. Ive replayed shit from PS1 up a lot more than 2d games. Ive heard shadow and sonic 2006 are tragedies so I'm probably not even gonna bother. But i'll just be going up the list until i'm caught up

> adventure > heroes > unleashed on x360 > colors > generations > lost world

>sonic 2 > cd > 3 and knuckles

I guess those last 2 are just bad, thanks anyhow
>>
>>318261451
Sounds good. Forgot to say some liked Heroes and some didn't. Just gotta see if it's for you. Have fun!!!
>>
File: 1414561655738.gif (996 KB, 500x277) Image search: [Google]
1414561655738.gif
996 KB, 500x277
>>318261679
Thanks if it stays the same or gets even better there will be lots of fun to have

I will now never understand why people say that sa2 is a 5/10 when its easily a 7 or 8.
>>
one thing I liked about sonic adventure was that it had enough respect for the player to not force them to use any character they don't want to. If I didn't enjoy the Amy or Gamma stages I could just ignore them and still experience every other level in the game, and all I really miss out on is some lame final boss.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.