[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You don't really think modern video games are bad and a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: 1315862482995.jpg (42 KB, 400x341) Image search: [Google]
1315862482995.jpg
42 KB, 400x341
You don't really think modern video games are bad and a "golden age" existed, do you?
>>
File: 1418774850900.png (20 KB, 493x466) Image search: [Google]
1418774850900.png
20 KB, 493x466
>>318236872
A lot of AAA games nowadays are trying to make as much money as possible. As a result, the games are developed to be simpler and more approachable so that it can be picked up by a wider audience. While this makes more money, it greatly cripples the design of the games themselves. Fallout 4 is a prime example of this, where they removed key features that the series is known for in order to appeal to more people.

Just because a game makes a lot of money for the company doesn't mean the game itself is actually good. Just sayin'
>>
>>318236872
There certainly have been good and bad periods for video games, you can't deny that. Video games certainly aren't getting much better right now.
>>
>>318237495
Games made to make money and developed to be simpler and more approachable aren't necessarily bad games either. Plus, this is not what all AAA games are. There are still multiple great AAA games released every year.
>>
>>318236872
It's more like what >>318237627 said. There's ebbs and flows. The current western AAA model isn't financially viable in the long run, kind of like the fast-approaching-billion-dollar-budgets tentpole movies.
>>
>>318236872
There's most certainly a "golden age" but it's purely subjective. But pretty much everyone agrees that it's not right now.
>>
>>318237627
I can deny it though. Every single year there have been good games, and absolutely atrocious ones, since it became an industry with multiple games coming out per year. There are no "periods" really. You have to be selective about the medium's history to think there ever was one.
>>
>>318237708
True enough, but those AAA games that are simplified (and make huge amounts of dosh) tend to inadvertently set an example for other devs. If the example is to simplify games for the sake of profit, then there's a problem. This wouldn't be the case if the simplified games weren't set in such a huge spotlight with megaphones shouting about how great they say it is.
>>
>>318237495
I normally agree with this but fo4 was actually more difficult than any other modern iteration. You can easily make a gimp character this time as well so I dont really know what your talking about.
>>
>>318236872
most of them are bro but its always been like this. Theres only a few good ones and the rest are unapologetic shovelware. I think devs are brfo now because people have finally caught on.
>>
>>318237923
End of the second generation. 1983.

That's the most extreme example but still.
>>
>>318236872
Modern video games are all like hollywood blockbuster movies. Shitton of money pumped into them but boring as hell.

Only decent games which still come out are very kikestarter games or indie shit.
>>
>>318238209
*very rare
>>
>>318237708
>Great AAA games
Name 2 2015 games that will still be played next year
Name 1 2015 game that will still be remembered along side of Super Metroid or Chrono Trigger
>>
>>318236872
nintendo golden age: nes/snes/64
pc golden age: pre-WoW pre-Activision blizzard
sony/xbox: garbage since inception
>>
>>318238406
Witcher 3, Fallout 4.

Wow, that was really challenging.
>>
File: arthur sits at his roundtable.jpg (45 KB, 610x450) Image search: [Google]
arthur sits at his roundtable.jpg
45 KB, 610x450
>>318236872
video games are only bad these days because they assume the player is completely retarded and need to have the game played for you or skipped outright. And assume they will spend money on virtual consumables to get through games designed to drain said consumables as fast as possible.
>>
>You don't really think modern video games are bad

Not really. Especially depending on the time frame of "modern".
One of my top five favorite games of all time is only two or three years old.

>and a "golden age" existed, do you?

Oh I'm pretty sure it did.
>>
>>318238406
Really? They'll all be played next year, and plenty for years after that. There are hundreds of millions of people playing games, you know, not everyone will have the same taste as you.

Also, not every game that is remembered or played years later is necessarily good. Not every game that isn't remembered or played years later is necessarily bad. Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger are remembered and played years later, but I don't think much of either of them, for example.
>>
>>318237923
I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that in some years, more good games were produced than in others. What's wrong without people categorizing those particular years as a golden age?
>>
>>318236872
Not necessarily. I usually don't think of a golden era. It's in a rough patch right now, but that doesn't mean that this is the end of the road and that's where we will be forever. Another shift will happen as time goes on, but only time will tell if that shift will be for the better or worse.
>>
>>318238514
>witcher 3, fallout 4
what is there to do after the storyline and missions? I am 60 hours in and had every ending and every quest complete. No one who bought those games at launch will play them next year.

>>318238682
Those most any 2015 game will be played will be when a sequel is a month away from release.
>>
>>318238682
>not everyone will have the same taste as you
Yea, because most modern gamers actually dont enjoy video games but just want to watch interactive movies with pretty graphics.
>>
File: 1429284873198.gif (492 KB, 176x216) Image search: [Google]
1429284873198.gif
492 KB, 176x216
>>318236872
nigger gaming is about to go full retard in 2016 where they focus on the mobile crowd. what you dont think they would abandon a whole platform? Just look at the pc. All intents and purposes its completely dead. no AAA devs even make games for it because they can make more money making simpler stuff. Same exact thing is happening on consoles now. Nintendo is now going to be a mobile game company as well. Golden age is long gone.
>>
I haven't liked a single game released by a major publisher in the last 6 or 7 years. The vast majority of what I play now is indie or lesser known devs or series.

I don't think there was a golden age, but AAA games have definitely taken a turn for the absolute worst and are almost always shit.

Maybe one day the environment will settle down into something like Hollywood, where the most money is still pumped into retard shit tier movies like Michael Bay's Transformers, but we'll also get good movies that aren't created solely for profit being funded, like Memento.
>>
>>318239439
its already into that... what do you think indie developers are? memento is an indie movie. Its not going to get any better and will peobably get worse considering mor than 50% of people that play video games only play them on their phones.
>>
>>318239074
It's arguable most people who think all modern AAA games are bad don't like playing games either and instead just want to feel proven and liked on the internet by playing difficult games.
>>
>>318240067
Why should I play difficult games to be liked on the internet? Noone here plays difficult games anymore.
In contrary, people just treat you as a nerd or try hard if you like difficult games.
>>
>>318240478
Based on all the complaining that modern games are too easy and movie-like, and only the difficult games are good as if difficulty alone has anything to do with it, it's no surprise they get treated like that.
>>
>>318241185
Where do people complain about them? On /v/? /v/ hates everything anyway.

And I never said difficulty alone would make a game good.
>>
>>318238986
Not everyone puts 60 hours into a game a week or so after it comes out.
Some people got other shit to do.
>>
>>318236872
Yes
>>
The golden age of gaming came with the NES and died after the PS2 became obsolete.

Video games will never be great again.
>>
>>318236872
There have always been bad video games, but they are in a much sorrier state now.
>>
>>318238406
Splatoon
>>
what's the matter OP?

you were born too late?

of course there was a golden age.
now not all modern video games are bad, but the industry as a whole is in a very sorry state.
>>
>>318236872
>Golden age
It's certain more expansive than the ps2+ps3 period, no matter how limited it may seem. Why I'm building a PC to evade these confines.
>>
>>318243115
There were some good PS3 games. 2011~ was when the spirit of wacky unique Japanese games died out, that or we just got less of them localized.
Games are becoming memes; not in content but in design, they are modeled after eachother, to achieve another's market and sales goals due to bigger risks of investment.

I mostly just play SNES stuff or my Sega Saturn these days. There's so many unique games.
>>
>>318236872
games have been shit ever since 2007

though there are some stray releases every year that are alright

even the indies are going to shit in an oversaturated market
>>
Please leave neo nintendoer
Alot of the games from the nes and snes era have more polish and more challenge and the games are more fun.

did you ever see a 2d game under 60 fps?
>>
There's about as many shitty games, it's just more of the shitty games are big-name mainstream.
>>
>>318243702
pixel games can't run in frames per second
>>
>games are worse off today than ever before
You guys are so full of it. I doubt you even played 1/4 of the games that came out this year, or 1/4 of the games that came out the year(s) you think were so much greater.
>>
File: 1394663614318.gif (4 MB, 590x310) Image search: [Google]
1394663614318.gif
4 MB, 590x310
>>318244639
>>
Google "video games released in 1998", then try telling me there wasn't a golden age.
>>
>>318242963
Continuing a game is different than replaying a game. There are dozens of 8-16bit games that I will replay every few years but I can't think of a single 2015 game that I will replay.
>>
>>318243463
>A game that literally disappears when the online community is gone.
shiggy
>>
>>318238514
>Fallout 4
>>
>>318245656
A lot of now-overrated crap came out that year, as is the case every year. And some of the better games like MGS or RE2 were 1 upped by later games.
>>
>>318237863
This. We're actually in the dark ages of gaming:
>Well known gaming companies are falling
>Game makers quitting
>Games becoming less creative
>Games are becoming so expensive piracy flourished
>>
>>318243702
Pretty sure some indie titles try their best to make them sub-60 fps.
>>
>>318247089
I agree and think within the next 5 years gaming practices are going to change a lot. Like someone else said, main game companies are going to switch to mobile shit. I think there's a really strong opportunity for a new company to come in and position themselves as down to earth. Perhaps they still make AAA games, but they market themselves on no shitty business practices.
>>
File: Le tired gamer.jpg (92 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
Le tired gamer.jpg
92 KB, 612x612
>2D games are better because they're 60 FPS.
Man nostalgia fags are going fucking crazy these days.
>>
>>318236872
No, Undertale proves modern games aren't bad.
>>
>>318247427
>No, Undertale proves modern games are bad.
fify
>>
>>318247425
2D games on the SNES weren't usually even 60FPS due to rampant slowdown.
>>
>>318247547
Tell that to the moron in this thread spouting bullshit about how his childhood games are better despite being worse in every imaginable aspect.
>>
>>318247328
How long will the switch to mobile stick though?
I think at most it'll be a small department of the company that switches. Mobile games are very profitable but they're also extremely difficult to make profitable because there's so much junk in the app store only a select few really flourish.
>>
>>318247629
Also a good point. I don't know, I mean honestly tablets and smart phones are really taking over the electronics market. I know you're thinking "duh" but I'm going to school for finance so I've been paying closer attention to shit like that. Big retailers are losing money from millennials on the newest gen of 4k TVs because less millennials aren't interested in big screens.

Idk. I guess my point is that it's pretty uncertain but the companies that are truly only profit-oriented are going to change their position and focus primarily on what is making the most money. Not just right now, but at any point. Companies that want to make good games will continue to do so, because there is obviously still a high demand for good, no bullshit games.
>>
File: B7f2_OECEAAyijj.jpg (24 KB, 545x362) Image search: [Google]
B7f2_OECEAAyijj.jpg
24 KB, 545x362
There's a fine line between "dadrock, but for videogames" and down-right juvenoia, and faggots in this thread are the smudge tool in Photoshop.
>>
>>318248069
>uses stamp tool
>talks shit about smudge
what a faggot
>>
it costs over 800 bucks to acquire a full copy of sm4sh
>>
>>318250229
No kidding?

Not being sarcastic, I know nothing about Wii U.
>>
>>318250291
He's probably counting all the physical dlc.
>>
>>318250763
I figured that, but I'm still confused. All the Amiibo shit?
>>
>>318250763
except that the amiibo aren't dlc, at least for smash.
the only time they used it as dlc are in codename steam, and that's only for the fire emblem amiibos.
we could count super mario maker but
-it's not smash
-you can get the skins without the need of amiibos
>>
>>318250935
>its not dlc

welp, better tell nintendo themselves that. because thats what they call it. on nintendos own official website. no really, thats false advertising and illegal. cant beleive its still up there after almost a year
>>
>>318250935
okay get to marios training screen without a mario amiibo. and then access all those features without the amiibo.

just, any time now.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.