[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't fighting games have their characters age? Chun-Li
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
Why don't fighting games have their characters age?

Chun-Li is canonically 47 years old but she doesn't look like it at all.
>>
Considering SF2 came out in 1991, she'd be 23 as of that game.

Also, asian chicks have a weird relation with time. Once they hit 50 they suddenly become tiny trolls, but up to that point they don't look a day over 23.
>>
>>318229851

Just so they don't have to deal with that for the younger characters.

People like Sakura as the tomboy schoolgirl. I don't think as many people would be into her as an unmarried 30 year old Lawson employee who's still doing amateur karate when she's not asking if you need your bento heated up.
>>
>>318229851

she's asian

Also all the characters in SFV look older, Cammy looked especially old but everyone cried about it so they made her look 16 again.

Fans are fucking retarded.
>>
Aging isnt really a good thing. Plus if you had them age youd have to replace the cast( see how it turned out inSF3 )
>>
>>318230582
Really? Is there a before and after fan tears picture?
>>
File: zangief.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
zangief.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
So am I just supposed to suspend my disbelief when it comes to lore and pretend that they have access to some kind of fountain of youth?
>>
>>318229851
Because people don't like it.

At best you might a wardrobe change.
>>
Oddly enough their canon weights are WAAAAAYYYY more unbelievable.
>>
>>318230410

I swear to god, if she's still wearing her high school clothes in V
>>
hicks age like milk
>>
>>318230780

>noone plays fighting games for the story! Who cares about any of that immersion or character shit! It's all waifu crap! None of it matters!
>makes complaints like this

I don't know, man. If it's that fucking hard for you guys, just don't play them at all.
>>
>>318230780
>seven foot tall muscle mountain
>256 pounds

Grate job Capcom.
>>
>>318230780
Why not? They've got excellent training regiments.
though don't the games typically take place in different time periods? Like wasn't 3 during the mid-80s or something?
>>
>>318229851

No she's not. The SF timeline isn't the same as our timeline. The series is still in the 90s.

By that logic, Batman would be like 180 or something. Stop being stupid.
>>
street fighter - 1987
street fighter alpha 1 to 3 - 1987-1990
street fighter 2 - 1993
street fighter 4 - 1994
street fighter 3 - 1998 - 1999
street fighter 5 - ?
>>
Chun-Li was 23 in SF2 going off the DOB and the release date.

I'd assume she'd be roughly 30 in SF3. Don't know for sure and don't care enough to check.

SF4 took place between the two games, so anywhere from 24-29?

And I think SFV is after 3 but I could be wrong.
>>
Street fighter 3 third strike takes place in 1999 four and five take place before that so we never see her older than 31.
>>
>>318231514
Batman doesn't actually have a canon year I don't think.
Or even a canon date.
The issue seems to be more they gave it a concrete date rather than an ambiguous sliding timeline like Comics.
>>
>>318231685

Comes before SF3 apparently.

So yeah, the oldest Chun has been is in Third strike, where she's probably only around 30. Why do people for some reason think the Street Fighter timeline mimics our own? I don't understand why the fans of the series are so retarded in this regard. It's not like people immediately assume other works of fiction are 1:1 to our own timeline for its various entries.
>>
>>318230087

Wouldn't she be 21?

>>318231685

Pretty sure SF2 is set in 1991, when it came out.
>>
>>318231514
>No she's not. The SF timeline isn't the same as our timeline. The series is still in the 90s.

The SF4 anime shows them using current-age technology, so if anything the timeline is sliding with each passing year.
>>
>>318229851
After the backlash of SF3, they kinda put the series in a time bubble and left the time period ambiguous.
So they're basically in a simpson's situation where nobody ages, but time still passes by.
>>
>>318232118

I doubt the anime is considered canon, even if it was linked with the game, considering I recall it being by someone else. And it's not like the game really has much in the way of a coherent or canon attempt at a story. Their technology mimicking some of ours isn't really a good argument considering they have things like body switching machines and other fantastical creations we do not.
>>
>>318232118
You mean Crimson Viper using a cellphone? She was a spy with access to top secret, super advanced tech
>>
It's easier to assume Street Fighter operates on a sliding timeline, using the ages from SF2 as a basis. So, while SF5 may take place in "2016", it also takes place in ASF2 3 or 4, even though Zangief was cossack dancing with Mikhail Gorbachev.
>>
From what I understand. SF2 takes place when it was released, 1991, so she would be 21 there. 4 takes place a year later, so she's 22. SF3 takes place 5 years after 2, so she would be 26. Although if the you count double impact and third strike as separate with a 1 year difference, she would be 28 in third strike.

They have said SF5 takes place before 3, but after 4. So she's only meant to be mid 20.
>>
>>318229851
everyone in Soul Calibur age

Ivy and Taki is almost 50
>>
>>318229851

I think the real concern here is that she apparently shrunk. 5 foot 8? last time I saw her official stats in recent games she was 5 foot 6 or so.
>>
>>318229851
How can fighting game characters keep fighting for decades? They get beaten to shit, electrocuted, lit on fire, and apparently they just bounce right back. Chun Li's face should be mince meat, all her bones should be broken and she should have brain damage. What the hell Capcom? This is completely unrealistic.
>>
>>318232846

Same reason people can throw fireballs, leap so high in the air, float there upside down, stretch their arms out to 10x their length and be green monsters that generate electricity.
>>
>>318230780
The games don't take place in the current year, you fucking dingus. Are you upset when every character doesn't age for their sequels?
>>
>>318232675
But Ivy never gaes now due to Soul Edge bs and Taki got the boot for being too old and got replaced with R63 Naruto.
>>
File: Lau_Chan.jpg (1 MB, 1500x2000) Image search: [Google]
Lau_Chan.jpg
1 MB, 1500x2000
Lau Chan ages and is dying just like the game he is in.
>>
>>318234241
Gen too.(Well SF is fine but you get the point)
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.