[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>lost izalith >bad design why? define bad design. I think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (169 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
169 KB, 1920x1080
>lost izalith
>bad design

why? define bad design. I think it's perfectly fine.
>>
It's just a big fucking clusterfuck of stomping dinosaur assholes with eyesore lava everywhere. There's nothing interesting about the layout of the level. I do like the bit where Seigmeyer is though.
>>
Copy paste dragon ass
>>
>>318223497
staring at red long enough makes blue afterimages in your eyes and it really sucks when it happens
>>
>>318223497
Bloom
>>
File: 1382665758965.gif (1 MB, 360x199) Image search: [Google]
1382665758965.gif
1 MB, 360x199
>>318224321
>There's nothing interesting about the layout of the level.

When was the last time you looked at the layout of a video game level and said "Ooh, this is interesting!" and it wasn't just a picture of something else? By layout, do you just mean set pieces? Like waterfalls or some shit?
>>
>>318225256
>When was the last time you looked at the layout of a video game level and said "Ooh, this is interesting!"
Most other areas of Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, and Bloodborne.
>>
Most people don't even discover the bonfire in one of the towers.
>>
>>318223497
It's badly optimized, the game shits itself with bad framerate, same with blight town. I think that it's caused by lava effect.
>>
>>318225357

Right, now why are they interesting to you? Lateral or Vertical gameplay reasons? Enemy placement (is the dragon ass army your primary beef with this section)? Item placement? Hidden wall placement?
>>
>>318225256
Interesting level design refers to convenient shortcuts, hidden paths and so met that isn't eyesore lava and copy pasted Dragon ass+fire statue
>>
>>318225629
A variety of reasons. I'm not here to analyze all the levels with you, I'm just saying that Izalith is comparatively thoughtless in design and an eyesore. It also blends with the Demon's Ruins which is also shit and full of shit boss fights.
>>
>>318225496
>Bad framerate
>on Lost Izalith
Nigger that never happened.
>>
>>318225643

Surely it's just more than hidden paths that gets your nerd boner going for level design, anon. Relating to that, would you not consider the doorway requiring the level 2 chaos covenant for early access as part of that design?
>>
>>318225256
>>318225629
Are you being deliberately obtuse or are you just retarded? You're obviously working slowly towards setting up some "gotcha" to spring on that anon but I can already tell the payoff is just going to be you looking like an idiot.
>>
>>318223497
It's just a bunch of lava with obnoxiously durable demons copy pasted a billion times, nobody actually does the level because it's so tedious everybody just runs past everything.
>>
File: 1387349215485.gif (463 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
1387349215485.gif
463 KB, 300x188
>>318225825

>I don't have any answers: The post.
>>
>>318225949
Okay you're retarded.
>>
>>318225985

No, I've got no "gotcha" to go with here. I've never had a problem with Izalith, but I've never particularly liked it either. Actually, it's probably the section I like the least. It just strikes me as odd that someone would complain about "level layout" when most of the time the only complaint I see is "lava burns my eyes."
>>
No one should have to have it explained to them why Lost Izalith is shit. Its like asking why Bioshock 3's ending blew.
>>
I hated how bright the lava was. I thought my tv settings were fucked up.

I loved the castle budda looking palace part of izalith though. Never seen that in a game. You guys know what I'm talking about right.
>>
File: 1439560743424.jpg (42 KB, 492x343) Image search: [Google]
1439560743424.jpg
42 KB, 492x343
>>318226298

Humor me, anon.
>>
>>318226298
He thinks he's instigating some sort of thought provoking discussion, just ignore him.
>>
>>318223497
It is not THAT bad in the current patch. It is just bland, and the boss is awful. The part after the lava is decent, even.
>>
>eye sore
>dragon asses
>terrible boss
>dragon asses
>no interesting sortcuts or secrets
>you know those cool undead dragons that are kinda unfun to fight? There actually in a purgatory state where their asses are in hell and they can feel there asses burning as they hang off a cliff.
Not much else.
>>
>>318226456
We can only assume and hope.
>>
I wish I knew about the covenant shortcut the first time through
>>
File: 1410161913306.png (134 KB, 434x622) Image search: [Google]
1410161913306.png
134 KB, 434x622
>>318226663
We all do
>>
>>318226456

Nope. Just asking about what makes good "level layout" versus bad level layout. So far I've only gotten "hidden pathways"... Got no idea why this is rubbing you the wrong way, bud. Chillax.
>>
As a level, I think the place is fine. It's kind of a bummer in other ways. Half the enemies are re-used, one of the bosses is a re-use, pre-patch the dragon asses were bullshit and post-patch they may as well not even be there, and the final boss is take 2.0 on one of the least liked bosses from Demon's Souls but much more poorly executed.

All 4 of the final areas also feel more old-school than the rest of the game. As in, less complex and less interesting but more difficult just to slow you down.
>>
File: DaS Entire Map.png (1001 KB, 3000x2987) Image search: [Google]
DaS Entire Map.png
1001 KB, 3000x2987
>>318226842
If you're looking for more general discussion on level design then making a thread seemingly defending Lost Izalith isn't the best way to go about it. Next time try starting off by posting some maps.
>>
>>318227146

This ain't my thread, anon. However, I'll consider making one of my own in the future.
>>
>>318226842
Here's the deal dude, play Dark Souls and you will quickly realize why it's the worst area in the game.
>>
>>318226069
So you have no argument.
>>
>>318227449

I've probably gotten over 300 hours in DkS alone. As I said earlier, it's probably the area I like the least. I'm just asking what about the layout is bad. So far, I've had people say that there's a lack of interesting hidden pathways. I don't really think that reason alone is enough for the hate it gets, honestly.

I don't think it's a particularly great section of the game, again I said it's the one I like the least, but it's definitely become part of the circle jerk to just blindly hate on it for no reason of your own.
>>
>>318227767
Wow anon you're so reserved and objective in your judgement. How cool headed of you.
>>
>>318227767
>I don't really think that reason alone is enough for the hate it gets, honestly.
It isn't the only reason. The Bed of Chaos is the worst boss in the game, I would say the worst fight all together. It's shitty and unfinished. Also the enemies are all shit, the place is covered in lava which is retarded, regardless if you have that ring or not. It's overall just full of stupid design decisions. Not to mention that there isn't really any useful items there.
>>
>>318227913
Ain't gotta be snide, man. If you don't wanna have a conversation, you don't have to.
>>
>>318228167
I agree about the boss. The enemies (well, the dragon ass's at least,) are most definitely shit. But the guy who made the initial comment was talking about level layout. I guess you could consider enemy placement as part of that though. I just figured he meant the actual design/layout of the level itself, like the hallways and shit.
>>
>>318228452
I mean there isn't really much to be said. There's a hallway, a boss, a huge open field of lava with nothing of interest in it, another hallway, then bed of chaos.

The biggest obstacle is the lava, which you bypass by getting an item
>>
>>318228596
That's fair. I guess you could say it's just a shittier version of a Zelda dungeon.
>>
>>318223497
NEON EYE RAPE
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.