[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sony unlocks PS4’s 7th processing core for developers htt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 31
File: PS4_APU-590x330.jpg (64 KB, 590x330) Image search: [Google]
PS4_APU-590x330.jpg
64 KB, 590x330
Sony unlocks PS4’s 7th processing core for developers

http://www.geek.com/games/sony-unlocks-ps4s-7th-processing-core-for-developers-1640646/
>>
>>318208408
im not sure what this means cause im not a high tech dick lord but does that mean better performance or is the ps4 reaching its maximum potential
>>
>>318210325

It means the PS4 is literally a PS3 with a new price tag.
>>
>>318210325
It basically turned SSJ3, 4k 60fps gameplay incoming.
>>
who cares buy a decent computer if you really give a shit about high end gaming
>>
>>318210325
multicore processing isn't that useful for game development right now. at most developers might shift some AI routines onto another core to make everything generally run smoother, but it means virtually nothing in terms of graphics performance
>>
>>318210325
Essentially, since consoles are a long term thing, development and optimization on OS functions tends to continue long after release. In some cases, these result in enough changes that they give devs a bit more room to work. This happened a few times last gen on PS3 as well, where RAM used by the OS was freed up significantly by the end of its life.

This means the devs have a bit more to work with, however it's rare for things like this to be massively significant. You aren't going to see the devs targeting 30fps right now suddenly targeting 60fps or anything like that. But from the perspective of a developer, every little bit of extra to work with is appreciated.
>>
>>318210325
It means it can handle 7 threads now instead of 6, technically full potential would be all 8 cores but the OS would need to be shut off or severely suspended to the point that you'd probably have to restart the console to get back to the start like older systems.

Its not entirely useless but not very useful either. 1 thread =/= 1 task either
as processors are fast enough to do multiple task by switching back and forth between them at insane speeds to make them seem to be happening simultaneously, if we were to ignore that ability then it can ACTUALLY do 7 tasks at the exact same time. Good like finding a use for that when designing a game, the PS3 could handle 9 task iirc with its SPE's
>>
File: 1448741837880.jpg (137 KB, 749x938) Image search: [Google]
1448741837880.jpg
137 KB, 749x938
>implying vidya developers AKA bottom-feeding loser dropouts of the programming world can do anything with it
>>
>>318210325
What you see now is a Super Saiyan 2
This is to go further beyond
>>
File: Euphoric.gif (977 KB, 400x318) Image search: [Google]
Euphoric.gif
977 KB, 400x318
Just in time for the 2015 holiday shopping season.
>>
>>318210325
They're unlocking the power of the cell.
>>
Why the fuck would they lock off 2 cores?

Sony engineering a shit
>>
>>318210636
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_I8an8jXuM

Modern low-level APIs based on Mantle, like Vulkan, D3D12 and Sony's custom API for the PS4 all allow for multithreaded graphics. This is how AMD's GCN architecture was designed to work.
>>
>>318212028
looks good son
>>
>>318210325
It means absolutely nothing because almost no games use hyper threading anyway.
>>
>>318212028
what a god dam nightmare, the RAM is already shared now you want to sync the GPU and two quad-core cpus? all for graphics. I want to see this perfectly coded game exist
>>
>>318208408
for the players
o
r

t
h
e

d
e
v
s
>>
>>318211898
operating system reserved, for background download / update and party chat, plus task switching out of / back into the game with the PS home button.
>>
>>318210636
Better AI would be a godsend. Remember the problems with TLOU and its AI looking retarded?
>>
>>318214660
not exactly what he said, they can do "better AI" now they just choose not to for whatever reason
>>
File: 1437412841751.png (116 KB, 402x398) Image search: [Google]
1437412841751.png
116 KB, 402x398
>>318212417
>It means absolutely nothing because almost no games use hyper threading anyway.
You're one thunderous retard.
>>
>>318215551
Because it'd interfere with their graphics.
>>
who cares once DX11 is out xbox one is going to face roll the ps4, Halo 5 is already better looking that anything on ps4
>>
>>318215658
the CPU handles AI the GPU handles graphics, an APU is putting a GPU in the CPU (basically)

they freed up a CPU core, you dont max out a core doing AI its free lightweight, go talk to cleverbot or notice how SIRI can be use virtually anytime, because AI boils down to responding to states/calls such as "when aimed at do x" the resource Ai's consume most is memory not processor usage
>>
>>318215724
>this level of delusion
>>
>first locked ondisc content
>now locked onconsole hardware

HOOOOOOLLLLLY SHIT YOU MUST BE JOKING

>buy a 5 door car
>the 5th door is welded shut for the first 2 years
>"this car company is great! i got a 5th door, for FREE, after 2 years!"
>>
>>318216026
...holy shit. siri and cleverbot send off the inquiries to a huge farm with a shitload of processing power, and then just send back the desired result to you. remember all those fucking images whever everything is replaced by dogs? thats millions of images being compared and mathematically placed millions of times a second by a HUGE fucking farm of machines. then it sends it back to you, the final result.

your not fucking rendering toy story 2 everytime you watch the movie. that took 3 months to render on a huge fucking farm somewhere at dreamworks or whoever
>>
>>318216026
SIRI and Cleverbot kind of AI is completely different to video game AI.

God, I hate /v/ threads like this where you retarded pcuc.ks pretend you have the slightest clue about how computers work.
>>
>>318214092
>operating system reserved, for background download / update and party chat, plus task switching out of / back into the game with the PS home button.

That shouldn't take a whole 2 cores worth of processing power, let alone one.

Fuck, steam does it just fine at 5% of one core. And thats not optimized for one hardware either.
>>
>>318215724
>who cares once DX11 is out xbox one

Xbox one confirmed for early 2010 hardware.
>>
>>318217082
The dog thing is local GPU isnt it?
>>
>>318217082
>>318217551
Google released the source code... you can run the dog thing on a large 1080p image on your own desktop and it only takes a second or two to work.
>>
i only know about developing software for PCs but why would a console operating system need two entire CPU cores to itself for doing stuff in the background? haven't all of the sony's OSes been nix/BSD-derived? why would they have such a problem allocating resources like that? is there really so much overhead associated with occasionally using a core for background OS stuff that they decided they should just lop it off entirely?
>>
>>318208408
Honestly kind of wish both MS and Sony left the 7th CPU core locked. I don't think most developers will make effective use of it and it could have been used to add cool features to the OS of both systems.
>>
>>318217117
>>318217082
Ok bad examples, my bad. I used SIRI because I recently downloaded a bunch of text to speech voice packs to turn any PDF into an audiobook, and one of which was Siri, I used it offline and mis-remembered that actual siri doesn't talk offline

Still an AI call would still be lightweight and would be a bigger file file to store than than hungry process to use. If they were maxing out the previous 6 cores already you would notice everything including the OS lag at those parts

so my point about them being able to do it already still stands
>>
File: screenshot_1_25568.jpg (44 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_1_25568.jpg
44 KB, 600x337
>>318208408
> I guess I can't afford to hold back.......looks like I finally have to use...... THAT technique
>>
>>318217650
>you can run the dog algorithim on your own pc in seconds

oh, right, because you also have googles entire few hundred gigs worth of images of dogs, right, and your computer can sort those hundreds of gigs in seconds, right

or the local version uses a local file reposititory, a fraction of the size of the real one, that takes, also, a fraction of the time to do, with a fraction of the gpu?

i mean, theres no reason they were trying to get MIT`s image repository because its got shit outside of fucking dogs
>>
yes, this will improve all games out there.

oh wait, developers are incompetent and lazy.

oh wait, this might work with one new game designed from the ground up.
maybe.

pat yourselves on the back sony, it took you years to make an operating system run on one core.
>>
>>318208408
Sony is on top of their game.

They also recently halved the memory chips, and reduced VRM circuity by 20% and reduced power supply size as well.

Meanwhile Microsoft is stuck at 16 memory chips forever, because DDR3 doesn't have clamshell bit mode.
>>
>>318210540
Yeah then you can play the graphically amazing games Undertale, Minecraft and League of Legends!!
>>
>>318217432
>that shouldnt ____

says the imbecile probably using an apple iphone.

don't talk shit unless you know shit.
>>
>>318218106
>oh, right, because you also have googles entire few hundred gigs worth of images of dogs, right, and your computer can sort those hundreds of gigs in seconds, right
That's not how it works. Google use all the images to train a neural network that recognizes dogs. That is what requires all the number crunching. The neural network itself doesn't require much space.
>>
>>318218137
Most games can get patched if the developer cares enough.
>>
>>318218334
Tell me what exactly needs two of the 1.6ghz steamroller-like cores to do?
>>
>>318218137
>pat yourselves on the back sony, it took you years to make an operating system run on one core.
This wasn't announced by Sony just as the 7th core thing on Xbox One wasn't really announced by MS as I recall.

Both should have left it locked and used it to add more to the OS. Sony could have copied MS and added a snap like feature.
>>
>>318218434
...so when you run it at home, on your own computer, the dogs just appear. out of thin air. you dont need 1000s of gigs of data. you just hit go and a billion dogs appear because
>>
File: greatness is here to stay.jpg (77 KB, 440x414) Image search: [Google]
greatness is here to stay.jpg
77 KB, 440x414
>>318208408

Is it even a console war anymore?
>>
>>318217432
>steam does it just fine at 5% of one core
Steam isn't a fucking operating system.
>>
>>318218573
Resource for games is more important.

Sony and MS probably sent their developers a questionnaire, and unlocking more resource was probably on the wishlist.
>>
>>318218661
and yet my linux laptop maxes out at 5% of one core while downloading a game in steam.
Thats OS + steam + chat + chrome, and it isnt optimized for specific hardware either.
>>
>>318208408
Who cares? Devs still don't know how to use two cores efficiently, let alone seven.
>>
>>318218650
If Sony wanted more marketshare, they should have reduced the PS4 to 320 dollars or something.

That would probably have cut the Xbox marketshare to 11-12 million.
>>
>>318218632
Shut the fuck up you retard. Go read a book.
>>
File: sayin it like it is.png (354 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
sayin it like it is.png
354 KB, 640x360
>>318218650
>>
>>318218573
a 1st party devs word was why we say that 2 of the 8 cores were reserved for the OS

Personally after how good the XMB was and the fact that it won awards I didn't even know existed I think its a travesty that the PS4's OS is so fucking hungry

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/11/naughty-dog-explains-ps4s-cpu-memory-and-more-in-detail-and-how-they-can-make-them-run-really-fast/
>>
>>318218632
>the dogs just appear. out of thin air
In the very same way the thoughts in your brain "appear out of thin air", yes.
>>
>>318218950
If only those 65 million users purchased games.
>>
>>318218861
im sorry, but it appears that only one of us actually...downloaded the tools and ran his own version for a short while because he hated the dogs.

ill give you one guess which one of us that is

Btw: you can use MIT`s repo. its nice.
>>
File: MSS.png (603 KB, 932x398) Image search: [Google]
MSS.png
603 KB, 932x398
>Muh cell processor!
>Muh emotion engine!
>Muh Toy Story graphics!
>Muh reality synthesizer!
>Muh 4D gaming!
>Muh super charged PC!

Sony hardware is ALWAYS shit and they sell it with lies and hyperbole.
>>
File: 7th Core Unlocked.png (46 KB, 903x192) Image search: [Google]
7th Core Unlocked.png
46 KB, 903x192
>>318208408
>>
>>318219012
>I think its a travesty that the PS4's OS is so fucking hungry
It is weird that it reserves as much memory as it does but media apps don't close when you launch a game so that's certainly part of it. Maybe later in the generation they'll abandon that feature to reclaim an extra GB of system memory.

The Xbox One reserving as much memory as it does makes slightly more sense given you can split-screen a game with an app but it still shouldn't need 3GB or whatever it is.
>>
>>318218784
The Sony OS probably idles at around the same % CPU utilization. However, they have the 2 cores reserved for when the OS needs to perform more demanding tasks. For example, the PS4 OS records the last 15 minutes of gameplay at all times.
>>
>>318219042
lol. okay. for every second playstation ever made, 1 steam user bought half life 2: the coast.

thats right. for every entire console sold, half a steam user bought a tech demo, or the orange box

in order to find numbers LOW enough, i had to find fucking tech demos.
>>
>>318219057
I studied AI in university. I know and you know that you haven't the slightest clue about computers, not to mind AI. Kill yourself you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>318219150
>random shitty launch title to somehow act like Xbox is superior
Nice try fag, I own both and PS4 games are definitely superior visually for the most part. No one gives a shit about a 2 year old game with a 50 on metacritic.
>>
>>318219012
I dunno, I think it's fine that it wants that much. I own both systems, and xbones interface is so goddamnded laggy all the time it's a pain to get through when a game is running, same with the snap system. ps4's you can easily forget a game is even running in the background.
>>
That's it. Buying a PS4 soon.
>>
File: steam years.png (7 KB, 269x71) Image search: [Google]
steam years.png
7 KB, 269x71
>>318219415
>bought half life 2: the coast
Lost Coast was free when it came out, I know because I downloaded it when it was new.
>>
>>318219460
WOW ME TOO. no really, i actually did. for a term, or two.

great, since we are both on the same track, what school, what grades. still doing it? you must be pretty techwise, so, you could like, get dreamtools right now, and run it, right? wouldnt take you more then 5 minutes to set it up, point it to the imaginary repository you have nowhere, and create a custom, home made image, right?
>>
>>318219525
>>318219290
XMB was the PS3/PSPs OS not the Xbones.

it gets more disgusting, I dont know about now but when the PS4 launched its OS did everythings the Vita's did yet it was way hungrier
>>
>>318219415
As if people buying an 8 year old game during some point during the last 8 years of steam sales means anything. How many people buy $60 releases on Steam? That's a lot more relevant to developers and publishers.
>>
>>318219330
>For example, the PS4 OS records the last 15 minutes of gameplay at all times.

Well there ya go.
That's a rather silly feature, and would be best if the user could select to enable or disable it...
Or make it a per-game feature. GTA's pc recording mode only records the position and velocity (among other data) of each entity. If they wanted to have a youtube video, then it would render out each frame when playing back that data. Recording that data is miniscule, and that technique has been done in games since the quake era
>>
>>318219753
1. Download the deep dream dog image generator
2. Disconnect your internet
3. Watch it work without an internet connection
4. Kill yourself.
>>
>>318219665
...free to the previous owners of half life 2. which means, that 10 million half life 2: lost coasts, means a minimum of 10 million half life 2`s purchased on steam.

you following. if i had just used half life 2 numbers, it would be huge. so i used just the section of people who paid for a game and downloaded a free tech demo with it by choice.

for every 2 playstations made, a steam user downloaded a expansion pack for a game he paid for. think about the disparity of numbers here
>>
>>318219772
I'm aware that the Cross Media Bar was the OS on the PS3. I'm mentioning the Xbone specifically because like the PS4, it also reserves ~3GB of RAM. The difference though is that you can watch Netflix and play a game simultaneously, which maybe justifies that high memory usage a little bit.

Xbone's OS is pretty fucking slow at times though, noticeably worse than the PS4 UI.
>>
>/v/ honestly thinks this will do something

I see you all know jack shit about computers
>>
>>318219889
yeah, it would be weird if we had already discussed trying this already. just a bit. just wondering where this overlay of dogs that...are not on your hard drive, come from. all 1000 gigs of them.
>>
>>318219946
I really don't understand what point you're trying to make. Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3, both games with strong PC fanbases, sold better on the PS4.

10 million is nothing, GTA V on PS4 will probably surpass that number next year and it's not doing it through $5 sales.
>>
>>318219870
>and would be best if the user could select to enable or disable it...
That would mean devs would have to optimize for a variable hardware specification. In layman's terms, it won't work.

>Or make it a per-game feature
That's up to the devs to do, or even the devs of the engine that the game devs use. Sony can't help with that.
>>
>>318218295
Epic post my friend ;^). Choices are only bad in the hands of the goys my friend. UT4 is the best looking game out there right now and it is only playable on PC.
>>
>>318220160
okay, the point im saying is that the dregs of pc sales, out swamp the entirety of console sales. any way you slice it.

for example. once a day, there are 10 million dota players all on at once. at the same time.

how many ps4`s do you think even get turned on in any 24 hour period. let alone, at once?

its like 1st place is the marathon man and 2nd place made it 4 feet before dying of a heart attack
>>
>>318219968
I have to give Microsoft that benefit of the doubt because of those features, even if it costs less resources to do the same thing on Windows. Why the PS4 didn't evolve on XMB still upsets me though almost as much as the mandatory PSN+
>>
>>318220083
Try it you fucking retard, then kill yourself. I already explained that the neural network you download contains the functional information for generating the likeness of dogs.

>In the very same way the thoughts in your brain "appear out of thin air", yes.

Same way you're brain is fucking hollow yet you can generate infinite amounts of bullshit, ignorant fucking cunt.

>read a book
>>
>>318208408
Holy fuck, how does Sony always manage to win?
>>
>>318210540
I bet you think you need an i7 for new games
>>
>>318220372
again you're mentioning a free game as if that is what drives the industry that we care about (protip: it doesn't)

There might be more active Steam users out there total just as there are more active iOS users out there than Steam users. Who gives a shit though? Most of these people don't buy new releases and aren't supporting the industry the same way PS4 and Xbox One owners do.
>>
>>318220431

Reality has a well documented Sony bias.
>>
>>318220160
They are action RPGs they don't have "strong PC fanbases" The devs like PC gaming and are now turning to console gaming for the money that's all that's happening. Both are going to garbage. Where is the proof that Fallout 4 sold better on ps4? Last I heard it sold way more on steam. I mean come on it topped Dota 2. If going by how many people have installed Dota 2 I don't even think that many people even HAVE a ps4.
>>
File: Toguro.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Toguro.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
>PS4 120%
>>
File: senior portrait buddies.jpg (54 KB, 330x400) Image search: [Google]
senior portrait buddies.jpg
54 KB, 330x400
>>318220428
oh so you can produce 1000 gigs worth of unique images of dogs from nothing, instantly?

holy shit, this is beyond any stupid dream shit man, you need to sell that to the military. thats a fuckin state secret. holy shit. you have no idea how amazing what youve figured out is
>>
File: 1429926473937.jpg (372 KB, 870x928) Image search: [Google]
1429926473937.jpg
372 KB, 870x928
>tfw suffering engine dev
>tfw this thread

/v/ has insufficient understanding of any of this shit to form a valid opinion. Nobody should listen to anyone here. Attempting to get into actual technical discourse here isn't going to bear any fruit.
>>
>>318220416
>Why the PS4 didn't evolve on XMB still upsets me though almost as much as the mandatory PSN+
same, the XMB supposedly used somewhere between 32MB-50MB of RAM. They seriously couldn't expand on that and do a lot more on the PS4 with even just 1-2GB of RAM?
>>
>>318220914
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/3cbelv/eli5_can_anyone_explain_googles_deep_dream/csu4qua

>Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1404131633729.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1404131633729.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
>>318208408
SO... THIS...IS... THE... POWER...OF... THE...P...S...4....
>>
>>318221180
you moron. okay, so youve trained it, but it cant generate any images of dogs without the images of dogs. itll just put a bunch of scrap data there saying "this would be the spot, if i had, you know, that data!" or it dosent actually change anythign because it finds the points but has no data to place it over.

sure, go ahead and run it without any image repository. you get

the same image, unaltered. its identified all the spots where dogs would go. but theres no dogs. to put there.
>>
File: 1436633641120.jpg (5 KB, 176x206) Image search: [Google]
1436633641120.jpg
5 KB, 176x206
>>318221612
This is all clearly waaaaay fucking over your head, if that reddit "explain it as if I'm fucking retarded" post couldn't do it for you.

Again, kill yourself.
>>
File: 1429927148856.jpg (207 KB, 538x574) Image search: [Google]
1429927148856.jpg
207 KB, 538x574
>>318221791

>Linking to reddit
>Being baited this hard
>Even if you're not even being baited, why would you try and help someone so retarded anyway?
>>
>>318208408
when will the frame rate be unlocked?
>>
>>318221791
>i give up and have no more further arguments outside of name calling

chalk another victory up
>>
File: 1406200644068.png (70 KB, 367x360) Image search: [Google]
1406200644068.png
70 KB, 367x360
If one was to compare the graphics power of a PS4 to a GPU card, which would it be?
>>
>>318222114
>Even if you're not even being baited, why would you try and help someone so retarded anyway?
I helped a different guy understand AI a bit better, the guy talking about SIRI, and he was receptive. This guy though just needs to kill himself.
>>
>>318222408

ask your question again without the trip and I'll tell you.
>>
>>318222408
it's a 7850 almost exactly.
>>
File: 1448456897177.png (32 KB, 808x805) Image search: [Google]
1448456897177.png
32 KB, 808x805
It's just not fair!!
>>
>>318222408
the PS4 GPU is an AMD gpu with 1152 shaders and a 176GB/s bandwidth, I dont remember what else was official but those two stats were officially from sony, the rest may have been reverse engineered .

From that we know its between a 7850 and 7870 but with 8GB of vram (theoretically) not 2
>>
>>318222408
NVidia GTX 580
>>
>>318222704
dealwithit.exe
>>318222749
That's pretty good for the price I guess. I sold mine to get money for a build (getting a 390 for it) because t.b.h most if not all of the games had seeerious frame rate issues (though I think that might've been because I was getting used games through Gamefly.)
>>
>>318222858
as an actual nintendo fan, The Wii U is better designed in that it runs the OS on a separate ARM processor so it can dedicate its full power to games

But in practice it failed because the OS is slow as fuck and the full CPU/GPU combo is the weakest of the gen
>>
>>318222749
If the 7850 is neutered heavily.
>>
File: 1448456971776.jpg (68 KB, 809x806) Image search: [Google]
1448456971776.jpg
68 KB, 809x806
DELETE THIS!!
>>
>>318211740
>Cell
>PS4
Wut? it's x86
>>
>>318222749
About 10-20% less power depending on how you use it due to heating and power issues
>>
>>318221000
You sound like you should be suffering.

Good thing consoles are a complete waste of money.
>>
>>318223119
and if the 7850 had 16x the compute capabilities
>>
>>318217117
But Cleverbot just temporarily pairs you with another person using Cleverbot and keeps changing it up so that you can never talk to another person for long enough to catch on.
>>
>>318217973
Check "IVONA" - it works offline
>>
>>318221000
Neato. What would this actually mean for a dev who has all the relevant info necessary to make use of it in developing a game from scratch?
>>
>>318222749

>hd 7850

faggot, i have a hd 7790 and it runs better than the ps4.
it ran battlefront beta at 60 fps only lowering shadows a bit.
>>
>>318223869
>>318223918
I didn't really need an AI to prove my point, it was just icing on the cake to throw in AI that is far superior than any video game but I ignored the fact that both are connected to the internet to do everything.

The main point was writing hundreds of thousands of lines of code for npcs to respond to many different states is just that, code that responds, it takes up space in the RAM if you want it to be faster but its not using so many that it would take up any of the entire cores on the PS4 let alone 5+ where a 7th core would improve AI
>>
File: I must have bones.png (7 KB, 327x112) Image search: [Google]
I must have bones.png
7 KB, 327x112
>>318223649

You're not wrong, on either count.
>>
>>318212417
almost nothing in that post makes sense. "no games use hyper threading" was a meme in like the early 2000s. hyperthreading was an Intel thing a decade ago. did you mean "multithreading"? did you just wake up from a ten year coma?
>>
>>318224307
>XX90 runs better than XX50
no fucking shit.
>>
>>318218447
how would you "patch" a game engine?

just curious if you know.
>>
>>318224307
Just curious, is there any reason you didn't save up the extra 100 or so dollars to get a much much better GPU? Is it a problem with mobo compatibility? Can your PSU not handle anything better?
>>
>>318217117
The word you are searching for is heuristic, meaning no complex algorithm, not testing every case for best solution, no machine learning and so on.
>>
>>318224473
He means Simultaneous multi-threading.
"Hyperthreading" is the name of Intels proprietary SMT solution that is still used in i7's(mostly) today
>>
>>318224372
No dude, AI in video games is mainly about path finding and decision making based on the state of the game environment. Those are all number crunching processes. Memory usage is pretty low.
>>
CPU doesnt matter much for pc games right now right? Unless you have something lower than i5/equivalent
>>
>>318219150
>muh cherry picking
>>
File: 1372986682318.jpg (46 KB, 480x441) Image search: [Google]
1372986682318.jpg
46 KB, 480x441
>>318208408
Wow! that's great news!

I can't wait to pick one up now. What are some good games for it?
>>
>>318224606
Isn't the 960 around the same tdp as 7790. I would upgrade to that.
>>
>>318224736
I see, I did not know that seeing as how I can be chased by loads of enemies in games I barely hit minimum requirements for and not experience any slow downs at all. Still doubt it could eat up 5+ PS4 cores
>>
>>318210325
All you have to know is that it doesn't necessarily mean better performance, but it's a step to reaching it's full potential.
>>
>>318224283

Having access to another core to work with means you can perform more multithreading, ie- simultanious tasks. It's very unlikely to provide much of an actual difference, as few games multithread effectively at all anyway.

Even if you built a game engine from scratch, with perfect multithreading implementation, you're only going to be able to push out 1/7th more performance. Use of multithreading for performance gains are limited in a lot of ways.
More threads doesn't necessarily make things better. It tends to make your engine more of a burden to handle concurrency wise. Doing anything interesting with it requires failsafes and mutexes and crocks of shit that game devs these days are too lazy, wired on coffee, or under pressure from their supervisors to actually implement.

tl;dr. Expect little to nothing. Especially not from anything currently being developed.
>>
>>318224730
That's it, though complex AI programs may also use heuristics too to narrow the search space.
>>
THE TRUE POWER OF THE PS4 HAS BEEN UNSEALED!
>>
>>318224775
Games haven't been CPU bound in AGES.

The CPU faggots have been dragging their feet with regards to any major advances on that front. Quantum computing is probably the next big thing.
>>
>>318224775
Right. That's the reason consoles can get away with the shit tier netbook CPUs
>>
>>318214660
Anon, games from 20 years ago have better AI than The Last of Us. Another core isn't going to change shitty programming.
>>
File: 1448619891791.png (272 KB, 872x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448619891791.png
272 KB, 872x1000
>>318216838
The core was locked for the PS4 OS dumbass. They unlocked it because they projected how much resources the OS would be using and realized it'd be safe to unlock it. It's like parked cores on PC.
>>
>>318225127
I don't know much about game engines but I imagine the Unreal Engine devs and other top engine devs put a lot of multi-threaded code into their engine.
>>
>>318225074
960 is DRASTICALLY better than what's in the PS4.

You don't have to shovel money into Nvidia's vagina to get decent performance.

960 has a TDP of 120W.
>>
File: MFW 7TH CORE UNLOCKED.gif (58 KB, 441x188) Image search: [Google]
MFW 7TH CORE UNLOCKED.gif
58 KB, 441x188
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>318225074
I'm getting a 390, seems it would have literally no problem with any game and the mobo I have, while cheap, according to the internet will not have compatibility issues with it. I'm also getting a 1000w PSU for further futureproofing. And I make like 80 dollars in spending plus whatever oddjob money I can manage, a month, which means I won't have a full built machine until Spring so I'm stuck with my 2010 Macbook Pro which is nice for pretty much nothing but surfing the web and producing music. It just doesn't seem to make much sense to me to get the options in the $200-$300 range if I can go just a bit bigger and get something relatively futureproof.
>>
>>318225084
Slow downs in games are generally caused by the graphic rendering side of things. CPUs are rarely a bottleneck.

Btw this extra core in the PS4 is an APU core afaik, which means it can be used for graphics or game logic.
>>
>>318224561
...like anything else. with a patch.
>>
>>318225382
Correct.

Most fags on /v/ don't know this, but the platform holders are actually fairly conservative with what they allow access to on a machine at first.

Over time they finalize the system resources they want to reserve and what developers can utilize.

What just happened is an example of this, likely because Sony finalized what their plans for the machine looking forward.

My guess is that this has been unlocked for 2 reasons: PS2 Emulation and, more importantly, PSVR.
>>
>>318224775
I have a 290 and an i5-4460. You'd think I could run Fallout 4 ultra save for god rays and shadow distance but it bottlenecks at the cpu, had to lower view distance stuff and object fade to keep that sweet 60fps. :/

If I were building to run games ultra I wouldn't go lower than an i5-4690.
>>
>>318225382
Ding Ding. Sony has likely figured out how to run the OS on just one Core while maintaining its performance and functionality.
>>
>>318224775
That's starting to change. Multiplats actually using all cores now because consoles have multicores with the same x86 architecture as PC. We might see more games in the future that utilize CPUs properly. GPU will always matter more.
>>
>>318225406

Well yeah, but studio devs never tend to hackwrench their way into the engine to do anything, They build on top of it with their own code. Engines only run as fast as the slowest part allows, and it tends to be what studio devs implement in their own games that becomes the stumbling block.
>>
>>318225559

you should really post this on your blog, man
>>
>>318225581
You didn't say anything that disagrees with me, if the CPU isn't bottlenecking then its not being maxed out.

You can max out a CPU by opening a shitload of programs to know how a computer would react if its CPU is being utilized heavily.

Game logic is the example I was using about responding to hundreds of thousands of states/calls
>>
>>318221158
PS3's XMB went from 100MB down to 40MB by the end of the generation.

Just because Sony isn't shrieking it from the rooftops doesn't mean the SDK isn't being tweaked constantly.

Shit, if it wasn't for this middleware company we'd never know about this change.
>>
>>318220372
>bragging about 10 millions

you are literally retarded
>>
>>318222408
Almost exactly like a 7850, just with a lot more compute units. The standard for GCN 1.0 is 8. PS4 has 64.

Beyond that it has 6.5GB of addressable memory versus whatever the retail 7850 has.
>>
>>318226105
Not sure what you're saying.
>>
File: 1421136681874.jpg (29 KB, 800x334) Image search: [Google]
1421136681874.jpg
29 KB, 800x334
>>318210325
THE POWER OF THE CELL
UNLIMITED POWER
>>
>>318219870
I agree that positional/entity metadata is more efficient but I can see why Sony did it like they did... so that users can upload ANY game to social media, without devs having to come up with their own record/playback/convert scheme in order to get shareable videos.
>>
>>318226504
see, the start of this
>>318215551
>>
File: 1448128998775.jpg (47 KB, 667x645) Image search: [Google]
1448128998775.jpg
47 KB, 667x645
Wait didn't something like this happen before
>>
>>318226084
I was literally going to type /blog post but I forgot
Feels good to just get stuff out, not expecting people to take their time listening. And owning a blog feels consistently stupid
>>
>>318226194
i know right? bragging about 10 millions when steams up to 100 millions. its hilarious
>>
>>318225854
Sure, but what I'm saying is that multi-threaded code is probably really important for the performance of the underlying game engine, and subsequently, the performance of the game with all that the code the studio dev builds on top of the engine.
>>
>>318226637
An extra core in a CPUs isn't that important, maybe. An extra APU core, which can be used for graphic rendering, is a big deal.
>>
>>318208408
Whoa a whole core on an amd cpu?!
>>
>>318226819

While this is true, Old games won't retroactively use the new core. Most multithreading implementations are predesigned with the set numbers of cores in mind. Tacking on the ability to use an extra core will provide some benefit, but not a noticeable one. The odd number of cores now available makes it an even weirder implementation if you're trying to maximise efficiency.

The kinds of speedup I'd expect from the underlying engine being more effectively multithreaded are going to be odd. Loading times would be faster, if not already limited by disk/hdd reads. You'd probably only see any benefit if you had a game that was doing a lot of really insane shit for general gamelay, as the gruntwork these days is all GPU. Only thing I can think of would be more efficient AI, even then, games these days aren't CPU limited.
>>
>>318220160
PS4 users have literally nothing else to play though, whereas Steam users often have upwards of 100 games. Even then, The Witcher 3 got 30% of its sales from PC. Think about that.

Assuming the split was even between PS4 and Xbone, sales for the game on a platform that is known for its frugal userbase and is already extremely saturated sold nearly as many copies as a console that's utterly barren.
>>
>>318227080
Because surely throwing more powerful cores into the APU is the key that is why Carrizo is a Desktop family- oh wait

Consumers noticed the bad performance on APU gaming and strayed away from them, Because using the same die as general processing with graphical processing increased the heat significantly without the gain being substantial. If heat is the is the entire reason the PS4's CPU already runs in the 1.4-1.7 spe-

Actually nevermind, my point was about AI, I doubt the PS4's GPU is being maxed either especially if my shitty HD 7770 can DaS2 1200p 60fps but thats not my prerogative, i'm not here to shit on the PS4.

You're right it can help with graphics if they design the games to use it
>>
>>318226728
Kek
>>
THE POWER OF BLU RAY AND THE POWER OF THE CELL AND THE POWER OF THE CLOUD.

Now we're cooking with fire!
>>
>>318228662

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if sony wound up using this newly freed cpu core on every ps4 to mine bitcoins, nobody would notice or be able to stop it.
>>
>>318210325
>>318210420
1 extra core can only potentially produce a 17% increase in CPU performance provided it's used as efficiently as all previous cores with no issues which isn't likely
>>
>>318227917
speaking of which--why do consoles, which have the equivalent of a 7850/7870, perform worse in multi-plat games? Lower grafics+lower frame rate. shouldn't they theoretically perform better than the PC counterpart due to muh optimisashions?
>>
File: 1446255749176.gif (25 KB, 722x528) Image search: [Google]
1446255749176.gif
25 KB, 722x528
>>318224606

because im a poorfag, specially a mexican poorfag.
im running a 6300 at 4.3ghz on a shitty 3+1 asus mobo.
>>
File: Blain.png (482 KB, 687x860) Image search: [Google]
Blain.png
482 KB, 687x860
>>318208408

so it's just nothing
>>
>>318229269

The hardware designs are fucktarded and annoying to optimize for properly. Most graduate programmers don't have a clue how to do it anyway.
>>
>>318229496
Fuckin capatilism, man
>>
File: xbox-one-cloud-powered[1].png (319 KB, 1300x734) Image search: [Google]
xbox-one-cloud-powered[1].png
319 KB, 1300x734
FINALLY, maybe we can get the much needed speed and graphical boosts the xbone got on us with its fancy cloud shit!
>>
>>318229269

console hardware sucks in general, they want to push graphics on cheap end hardware

you end up with a somewhat good looking, but not truely HD game but runs at terrible frame rates and lag and has pop in while it cooks your hot pockets
>>
>>318229269
Because the APU's.

the fact that the APU's are underclocked to keep heat low requireing less powerful fans to keep cool etc etc, very efficient but can impact performance.

Optimization is mostly gone because unlike traditional situations the PC uses x86 architecture like the consoles so they can utilized nuances and the overhead for Console OS's is bigger than XP/7/8.1/10 the most obvious example is reserving space to be able to record the gameplay, devs cant use that space so its dead weight when someone isn't recording

This is very farfetched but if the OS didn't rectify this with reserved space then The memory is shared so more latency is presented when the GPU and CPU parts want to access the same pool at the same time, one must reroute to a different address, this can happen thousands of times in a second or none at all depending on how the game is coded.
>>
File: ayymao.jpg (92 KB, 906x669) Image search: [Google]
ayymao.jpg
92 KB, 906x669
>>318229591

yah, the 7790 was in my budget, but wooww what a retard i was for not knowing that the 260x was out, even if its the same card, it was a newer model.

bought it on december 2013 and going stronk.

also, what should i buy for a upgrade next year?

>skylake i5+mobo
>gtx 960ti or 380x
>better mobo for oc
>8320E+ mobo (and oc that bitch)
>>
>>318229549
Both consoles are heavily compute biased.

Compute is capable of tremendous performance per cycle but everything has to be created from scratch for it.

Most developers are just happy to port shit to these consoles and call it a day.

Optimization is expensive and time consuming. This is why Day 1 patches are so common.
>>
>>318229905

With regards to your last part, there's a fair bit of irony. It seems like that implementation would be a suitable way to cut across the problems with buffers and bus limitations from directX and openGL, which is one of the major limiting factors for gpu speed. but it completely turns the established systems on their heads and just doesn't work without rewriting them.

Everything is still getting buffered and pushed through a gpu bus somewhere, If it wasn't, it should either be blazing fast and perfect, or not work at all.
>>
File: 1448760903164.jpg (26 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
1448760903164.jpg
26 KB, 327x316
>>318208408
So THIS is the hidden power of the PS4 that was talked about for the last 2 years...

The PC is FINISHED!
>>
This will have no noticeable affect on PS4 games outside of 1st party titles who have no choice but to learn and master every last bit of the console in front of them.

Even then the games will just run slightly better.
>>
>>318230786

The good old "Oh fuck, it's actually working? Nobody touch it again." methodology to programming.
>>
>>318229919
From my research the 380x or a 390 should be best. I'm getting the Sapphire model. I know it's the contrarian choice, the first result on Google about which GPU is best says the 970 but fuck that shit I'm getting a 390
>>
>>318231068
Something must be said for the classic validity of that approach
Though I think the present is more relevant in any case
>>
>>318231068

it has more to do with keeping the buying cycle going

they don't care about graphics or frame rates and all the technical aspects

they just want to make something they can produce cheaply and charge people every 5-10 years

most of your dollarydoos for console purchases are paying for the hype machine
>>
>>318230813
oh that reminds me I remember when it was announced many people said it was not ideal because even though GDDR5 is faster than DDR3 it has a startup latency that makes smaller data that the DDR3 using to handle fine take longer now
>>
>>318231109
lol what

the 390 is unanimously agreed to be the better buy right now. the 970 is actually the contrarian choice.
>>
>>318231295

It's a profoundly valid piece of programmer wisdom that every one of our ilk experiences at some point. It's practically a tenet.
>>
>>318231361

I can only apologize for being part of this awful machine, anon.
Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.