[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: sc2.jpg (174 KB, 768x364) Image search: [Google]
sc2.jpg
174 KB, 768x364
What went wrong?
>>
Trilogy, if you can't design games to fit everything into one package, where content flows over that another game should eventually be made.. you are doing it wrong. They went all out on their ideas for HotS, but saved them for future expansion packs.. fucking failure.
>>
Playing through Heart of the Swarm campaign now, it's surprisingly good. Although with each mission I hate Kerrigan more and more because her motives make no sense no matter what side's perspective you look at it from (other than the crazy woman perspective).
>>
>>318198171
Besides it taking them way too long, not much.
>>
>>318198171
lotv is good tho
>>
>>318198171
in what ways did anything even go wrong? was it no successful?
>>
File: 1445870039991.jpg (505 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1445870039991.jpg
505 KB, 1500x1500
=
>>
Splitting the game into 3 was pointless and benefited nobody but Blizzard. The writing was shit. It might as well have taken place in an alternate universe from Starcraft 1's for all the lore connection it had. Even the multiplayer was tainted by having Esports in mind from the start.
>>
>>318200831
Nope. Even the Dreamhack tournament had like 23k viewers at peak hours. Right now CS:GO has 250k.

Game was successful with WoL but it's been dead since hots. The current immense imbalance right now is keeping it dead.
>>
>>318201204
I guess then that depends on what the definition of success and failure is in this context
>>
>>318201204
The Dreamhack tournament had 50k viewers though.

WoL was far more imbalanced than HotS and right now.
>>
The game is way too stressfull.
Nobody wants to do 200 actions per minute in a video game.
>>
Didn't kerrigan become chandra?
>>
>>318201262
Starcraft used to be the dominant e-"sport"
so yea 23k is a huge fucking failure
>>
catering to SJW and tumblrinas. Lets face it the only reason why people cared about SC2's story was because of the protoss hybrid and the protoss story in general (which is why the saved it for last milking fans of their money). No one gave a fuck about wanna-be space marines that didnt make into 40k nor did anyone care about the professional victim Kerrigan who fucked everything up with her stupid rampages, we cared about the protoss.... They had the chance to make the hybrid story about zerg and toss with toss being the center piece but noooo Blizzard had to go "hurr cater to tumblr and guurrrrrrrl gamers and make kerrigan the center piece making toss a moot point"
>>
File: 2012-07-14_21-12-04.jpg (211 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2012-07-14_21-12-04.jpg
211 KB, 1920x1080
>>318201670
things change
>>
File: 1445583272753.jpg (76 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1445583272753.jpg
76 KB, 960x720
>>318200969
that image is so true it hurts, sometimes it feels like I crossed over into an alternative reality where everything I ever liked or loved slowly turns to shit
>>
>>318201171
Honestly barring Jimmy's weird obsession with Kerrigan, there wasn't much of a problem with WoL. Considering last he saw her, he promised he would kill her no matter what.

But once we hit HoTS it went pants on head retarded with hundreds of retcons leading to an unfulfilling story. They made such a big deal about how Zerg were made as comparisons to the Protoss as perfect beings. But then they claim there are primitive jungle zerg? Who serve as archetypes for normal zerg? But somehow weren't really made by the xelnaga or the Overmind or anything? What the fuck even.

But alright, sure whatever not bad I guess.

Lotv starts and I'm hooked on this shit, Artanis is my bae. One fucking level in Zeratul is dead. Are you fuking serious? Now suddenly the entire backbone of the Protoss is corrupt from something that they just kinda shit down our throats? Well, ok whatever. Alarak is fucking sick, he saved the story for me. Total edgelord but damn the writing with him and Artanis was good. Fenix was nice too.

Then the campaign just fucking ends. Oh they all died, oh the keystone exploded WE'RE DONE GAME OVER EVERYONE GO HOME.

I started up the epilogue and quit that shit so fucking hard after the first mission. How the FUCK did they think it was a good idea to RETCON TASSADAR INTO LITERAL NON-EXISTANCE? "Hurr durr there is no Tassadar I'm just the fat xel'naga who embodied a being known as Tassadar just to spurr Zeratul into action like LITERALLY 50 FUCKING YEARS AGO AFTER LIVING AS TASSADAR FOR LIKE 200 FUCKING YEARS"

I saw the shitty cinematics, I know Kerrigan turns into a phoenix or someshit too and what the literal fuck but jesus christ.
>>
File: 1448372122014.jpg (288 KB, 1219x989) Image search: [Google]
1448372122014.jpg
288 KB, 1219x989
>>318201791
Valve and Nintendo are still good. Capcom is making a turn around.
>>
>>318200969
nah blizzards downfall begin when wow stated to become popular.
that was when they turned their backs on their original fans
>>
>>318201825
>I started up the epilogue and quit that shit so fucking hard after the first mission. How the FUCK did they think it was a good idea to RETCON TASSADAR INTO LITERAL NON-EXISTANCE? "Hurr durr there is no Tassadar I'm just the fat xel'naga who embodied a being known as Tassadar just to spurr Zeratul into action like LITERALLY 50 FUCKING YEARS AGO AFTER LIVING AS TASSADAR FOR LIKE 200 FUCKING YEARS"
You retard, they didn't retcon Tassadar, they only retconned his ghostly appearance in WoL.
>>
>>318201791
Welcome to the Berenstain universe.

>>318201918
>Valve
Because they don't make fucking games anymore. Also TF2 went to complete shit, both from the community and Valve.
>>
>>318201434
Then don't do 200 actions per minute? The multiplayer has different leagues and game modes for a reason. If anything, you should blame them for pushing the agenda of "everyone should be an e-athlete" so hard and making people leave thinking they aren't good enough to play it.
>>
>>318202119
Dota 2 and CS:GO are the best games on the market. Maybe if Blizzard outsourced and didn't tell icefrog to fuck off they wouldn't be dying.
>>
>>318198171
When they decided to forcibly change the multiplayer metagame with each expansion instead of letting it evolve over time like Brood War. Or making the Zerg the 'misunderstood good guys'
>>
File: 1443860638783.gif (442 KB, 441x270) Image search: [Google]
1443860638783.gif
442 KB, 441x270
>>318202119
How do I get back into the Berenstein universe?
>>
>>318198171
nothing in particular, lotv is the best multiplayer out of all of them by far, all 3 campaigns are fun and challenging on brutal (story sucks though but what do you expect out of a post 2005 blizzard game).
>>
>>318201204
finale hat 50k, also there's no immense imbalance going on right now. in case you didn't notice, by far the best player (with over 1.5k games already played) went in a close in grand finals 4:3 in zvp even though everybody complains about p being sooo weak. yeah no
>>
>>318198171
Other than the story not much
Single player was fun anyway though. Finished Lotv today on brutal, that last epilogue mission was fun.
Could be a bit harder.
>>
>Zeratul not Main in LotV

Fuck off Arthanis.
>>
>>318198171
The story of LotV was complete trash but I thought it was a ton of fun.
>>
>>318202756
At least alarak is ok, shame that artanis is so fucking boring though.
>>
>>318202279
>Dota 2 and CS:GO
>best games on the market
LOL
O
L
>>
>>318202279
To a degree, but even those communities have some major malfunctions, especially match making for CSGO, I can't really comment on DOTA since I don't play it.

>>318202383
If you burn down Blizzard, EA, and Ubishit, and a few other shit companies a portal will open for the chosen ones to return home.
>>
>>318202979
Top FPS and MOBA. Most played on STeam and highest views on Twitch.
>>
>>318203048
Popular != good
>>
>>318201928

I think that's true for a lot of franchises.

Having a full Protoss Cast for one expansion was a horrible Idea, it felt dull and boring.
>>
>>318202704
>no mention of Terran

There's immense imbalance you entitled fuck.
>>
>>318203101
They are popular because they are good. HotS and Overwatch are dead as shit and unpopular because they are terrible.
>>
>>318202383
Berenstein Earth was destroyed when it merged with Berenstain Earth, some of the minds successfully merged with their counterparts in the dimensional shift, hence the incorrect memories.
>>
>>318203278
I don't know man
There are tons of good unpopular games
>>
>>318203118
What about Terran?
>>
>Got into Overwatch Beta
>Played it for 2 hours
>Realized how shallow it is
>No desire to play it again

It's Heroes of the Storm again.

And they are asking you to pay full price for it?
>>
>>318203374
Such as?
>>
>>318203468
Guilty Gear
RIP
>>
>>318203423
Before or after they have no answers to either race right now?

The most they can hope to do is Liberator hijinks but its such an obvious tell that they're going Liberator and at least 4 strategies from either protoss or zerg can kill terran before they even get out 5 liberators.
>>
Sale model.
Metzen.
Simplified gameplay.
Change in market.
Mostly WoL's awful launch though.
>>
>>318198581
She's overpowered though, makes brutal really easy.
>>
>>318203278
>They are popular because they are good
>Overwatch dead,, a game in a fucking closed beta
Dem Valvedrones man.
>>
>>318204069
>>Overwatch dead,, a game in a fucking closed beta

It's already dead on twitch.

Compare this to hearthstone when that was in closed beta.

No one gives a fuck about Overwatch.
>>
>>318204232
>twitch
Who the fuck cares?
I'll tell you ones who definetly don't, Blizzard's customers.
>>
>>318204379
>No one is hyped for the game
>Who the fuck cares?

Kill yourself
>>
>>318201918
>Valve
Doesn't even make games, they just sit on their asses and profit from redistributing other games.
>Nintendo
They don't even make new games, they just sit on their asses and remake old games over and over.
>>
>>318204232
People only watch hearthstone for the guys playing it. It's a good stream game, most hearthstone streamers do bullshit like song requests and most of the time just talk with the viewers.

>>318204508
I'm hyped, it doesn't mean I'm watching it on twitch
>>
>>318204508
twitch =/= hype

Just becuase you care about numbers of people watching other peoiple play videogames doesn't mean they matter when it comes to sales.

Especially to Blizzard fans.
>>
>>318204534
>Doesn't even make games, they just sit on their asses and profit from redistributing other games.
It's almost as if they are a publisher.
>They don't even make new games, they just sit on their asses and remake old games over and over.
Splatoon. Those remakes of old games still turn out to be better than any modern garbage.
>>
>>318204232
Just like last SC2 expansion was dead on twitch and then sold a million in first 24 hours, right?
>>
>>318204796
>Comparing Singleplayer game to Multiplayer one

Are you a retard by any chance?
>>
>>318203808
Terran is favored against Protoss.
>>
>>318198171
Kerrigan ruined everything she touches.

Which campaign had the least Kerrigan?

Protoss

best campaign?

Protoss
>>
I've started playing the game again recently after completely skipping HotS. I've been bouncing between the factions quite a lot. Is it just me or is there less variety than ever in Protoss builds? It seems to be blink stalker + disruptor every single game.
>>
If Zerg and Protoss being the "chosen" races was planted by Amon to mess with the natural order of the Xel'Naga cycle, why did their temple have carvings of Artanis, Kerrigan and hybrids all over it?
>>
>>318204796
>1 million
>Thinking that's a big number
Woah it sold as much as DmC did. How much did it sell after those 24 hours?
>>
>>318204734
That's a pretty small example.
I love Nintendo games but I haven't supported them for years.
When your entire console library has the single motivation of 'smash nostalgia' for me to buy it; you've fucked up.

Valve is a smart company that isn't anywhere near as malicious as they could be in their position. Their games at the moment are solid. I've come to detest both personally but I can see good design in how they pull an audience.
>>
>>318204937
Are you implying SC2 is only one of those?
Because maybe you are the retarded one.
>>
>>318203048
>highest views on Twitch.
That's not League of Legends anon :^)
Oh wait, "It's popular because it's good" only applies to games you like, and "It's popular that means it's shit" applies to games you don't like.
>>
>>318205064
>PC exclusive
>RTS, a niche genre
>million in first day
>not counting preorders

That's a big number like it or not, now move the goalpost a little more, you are sweating.
>>
>>318205082
Not that poster but SC2 isn't multiplayer if you define multiplayer as having a solid esports scene.
Because the expansion's release didn't help at all.
>>
BW had much better gameplay. There has been underlying discontent in the community from day 1 because all the hardcore players know the game is shit compared to its 15 year old predecessor.
>>
>>318204796

A million is fucking garbage for a AAA release.
>>
>>318205234
>if you define multiplayer as having a solid esports scene

Why the fuck would anyone do that though?
>>
>>318205168
I'm seeing CSGO quite often surpass LoL when they both have massive events going on.
Which personally disgusts me as CS is one of my most hated franchises of all time. But it is reality.
>>
>>318205213
>All those excuses
It's a shit number in 2015. Not to mention they all probably came from Korea.
>>
>>318205287
RTS hasn't been a AAA genre for a long time
>>
File: Starcraft_2_hyperion-bridge.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Starcraft_2_hyperion-bridge.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>318198171
The trilogy split.

Seriously, the devs have long gotten fed up working on these games and already praise shit like Heroes of the Storm as the "Game we always wanted to make."

It pains me greatly that I had to wait 7 and a half years only to finally know what the heck Zeratoul meant when he said the artifact is the key to the end of all things back in that very first fucking campaign presentation from 2008
>>
>>318205168
Riot bots the shit out of LoL. Nobody actually believes it's popular or good. It's just something for camwhores to siphon money from Twitch with. Like Dayz.
>>
>>318205423

SC2's budget is still sizable enough to render it a AAA release by definition.
>>
>>318205419
So Korean sales somehow don't make money?
Talk about excuses.

And show me an RTS with better numbers in the past 5 years. I'll be waiting.
>>
File: Activision-Logo.jpg (137 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Activision-Logo.jpg
137 KB, 1024x768
>>318198171
>>
>SC
>Kerrigan gets infested under the control of the Overmind
>kills millions
>Overmind dead, so Kerrigan comes out as being good now that she's of her own free will
>Psych, she actually is genuinely evil
>Uses cunning and deceit to backstab her way to the top, becoming self-proclaimed Queen Bitch of the Galaxy
>continues to kill millions

>SC2
>Retcon! She actually wasn't of her own free will in Brood War, she's actually still mind-controlled by the REAL villain!
>becomes de-infested and is now finally in control of her own actions
>becomes infested again, looking exactly the same as before, but this time she's good-infested
>STILL kills millions in her revenge quest against Mengsk
>gets chummy with people who should eternally hate her for the betrayals and genocides she's committed
>somehow ends up as benevolent god-being
>gets a good guy happy ending

BRAVO METZEN
>>
>>318205048
Cuz they know future and shit I guess. They knew they'd lose against amon but Kerrigan and friends would win
That's the only possible explanation, still retarded
>>
>>318205345
If we're talking about streaming popularity, as people were. Then it is an important distinction.
>>
>>318205636
Well, LotV ships at just $40.
>>
>>318205636

>And show me an RTS with better numbers in the past 5 years. I'll be waiting.

That would be the point. Nobody buys or plays RTS games. The only other RTS that has even remotely active multiplayer is CoH2.
>>
>>318205684
But that's completely wrong.
She was more purple after re-infestation
>>
>>318205636
Then count WoL and HotS sales too and realize that it has made that money some times over.
>>
>>318198171

Everyone with talent, ambition and passion left Blizzard years ago.
>>
>>318205832
>Nobody buys or plays RTS games

Yet somehow LotV sold a million in first day. Which should be more impressive since you yourself said no one buys them anymore.
>>
>>318205832
A lot of people still play RTS games. They just don't all play the same one.

Fuck CoH2 so hard. How did they fuck up with the easiest sequel ever?
>>
I'm still fucking mad about how much they simply raped Zeratul's character. They turned him into mindless prophecy retard in WoL, to Kerrigan's punching bag in HotS and now they absolutely decimated him in a shitty anime duel.

Everything about Zeratul is horrible in SC2. Even the voice actor is mediocre. I understand the script is shite, but he talks so slow, it's infuriating.
>>
>>318205851
I expected some three pronged excuse that made me prolapse my innards, but this made me giggle
>>
>>318202704
>50k

meanwhile the winner bracket final of the Dota frankfurt major had 1 million viewers between all the platforms.

Let it go anon. Starcraft is dead. RTS are dead until someone finds a way to revamp them. It sucks I know, but pretending your favorite genre is doing well is just retarded
>>
What do you guys think about SC2 closing up the story completely?
I expected some sequel bait desu.
Is this the end of Starcraft other than the announced DLC?
>>
>>318198171
The problem is that Kevin and Kerrigans picture ends at the forehead, while the aliens full head is in the picture.
>>
>>318204971
It's as if they hired a teenage edgelord to write all of Kerrigan's dialogue. It's just so cringeworthy and bad.

Also why the FUCK did they hire that tart from Battlestar Galactica and not the voice actress from SC1? If I recall correctly she actually did voice one of the cinematics shown at Blizzcon once.
>>
>>318206045

>Fuck CoH2 so hard. How did they fuck up with the easiest sequel ever?

CoH2 is fine. They've improved the game a lot since release.
>>
>>318206224
Mysterious life re-emerging across the galaxy could be sequel or at least DLC bait.
>>
Metzen and Metzen are over a decade removed from each other.
>>
File: InfestedSarahKerrigan_SC1_Art4.jpg (14 KB, 232x326) Image search: [Google]
InfestedSarahKerrigan_SC1_Art4.jpg
14 KB, 232x326
>>318205851
Even if so, I couldn't even fucking tell, anyway, considering how little you see of you in WoL.

Also the wild inconsistency between every picture of her even in the original Starcraft.
>>
I was #1 diamond and then #1 masters for a good year before and after WOTL launched. Then me and a buddy hit #1 2v2 masters, playing pretty much every race.

The balance was abysmal. The game is focused around ending most matches <10 minutes, and the maps were absolutely ATROCIOUS. I started out playing only zerg, and then transitioned into all 3 races once I started heavily playing 2v2.

The balance is just a joke. They can't decide if they're balancing the game around casual play, or "E-SPORTS MLG LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE".

Plus they absolutely butchered the Arcade, so customs never took off, which was a huge appeal in SC1 when you got tired of playing ranked.

Oh, and it has some of the most juvenile, fan-fiction tier writing I've ever personally experienced in a video game - I can say this straight faced and 100% without hesitation.
>>
Why is Kerrigan a negro now?
>>
>>318206224
>Is this the end of Starcraft
they'll definitely shit on the IP some more, though maybe not with another RTS
>>
>>318201928
WC3 was a fuck you to "original" fans and kids on /v/ are too young to realize it.
But seriously if you fucking like WC3 you like everything that went on to ruin blizzard. It's all in WC3 save for microtransactions.
>>
>>318206387
I thought that was just Kerrigan fucking around with her new power
>>
>>318206224
For now they seem intent on selling mission packs and telling random stories that happen within the world of Starcraft.

A 9 mission Nova campaign is what they're currently working on right now. A campaign that's being sold in parts. 3 missions each.
>>
>>318206012
>1 million sell in first day
>barely 13k people playing prime time saturday night

People only bought it for the shit for the OTHER blizzard games.
>>
>>318206058
Zeratul had death flags all over him the moment he became "muh prophecy" guy.
>>
>>318206452
Looking different every time you see them is a general Zerg problem since StarCraft, I always just rationalized it as them constantly adapting an changing.
>>
File: WarCraft_Samwise038c.jpg (47 KB, 388x655) Image search: [Google]
WarCraft_Samwise038c.jpg
47 KB, 388x655
>>318206058
Holis
>>
>>318206174
I guess basketball is dead because it doesn't pull the same numbers as the Super Bowl.
>>
>>318206498

The game was honestly at its most exciting near the beginning of WoL when nobody knew what the fuck they were doing and every game was just MUHREENS all day and other assorted all-ins.
>>
>>318203972
Yeah I've only had to restart a mission once so far. Only 2 missions left. She can clear about a base by herself given enough time.
>>
>>318206665
Or they bought it for the single player and have already finished the campaign, Sherlock.
>>
>>318206847

I went to some tournaments around New England, and yeah, the beta hype was unreal. I got in beta about a year before launch, and played maybe 8-900 hours total. The earliest tournaments (3-4 months pre and post launch) were just a joke, 90% of the time devolving into which Terran could reaper cheese the best, or "whoops, he didn't see the corner of that pylon. gg 2gate".

The game was designed to forcibly end matches well under 10 minutes, 99% of the time. Actually getting a decent match to watch or play was like waiting for a lunar eclipse.

Formulaic and small minded.
>>
File: 1446116768501.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1446116768501.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>hyped to find out more about the Xel'naga and how they look
>hoping to see them appear as a faction in SC2
>they're just giant tentacle space elephants
>>
How do i learn to play terran?

I haven't played starcraft 2 in ages although i was only ever average in skill, AND i played protoss.
>>
>>318207187

>Formulaic and small minded.

As if the generic meta it turned into was any better.
>>
>>318207347
What did you imagine them as?
>>
>>318207519
Well obviously anything other than giant tentacle space elephants.
>>
>>318207365
You maek marine.
>>
>>318198171
Campaigns are too damn long and the writing is atrocious.
>>
So how and why does Artanis have his nerve cords intact in LotV when in Brood War he didn't?
>>
>>318207347
I liked that
Lovecraftian looking beings living in the void fit perfectly

I didn't like that Kerrigan didn't turn into one and instead became some fire goddess
>>
>>318207713
>Campaigns are too damn long

You what? You can easily finish each campaign in less than 8 hours without even trying to rush them.
>>
>>318207791
He just grew them out after brood war.
>>
>>318198171
I havent played 2, only watched it after a long time spent playing and watching 1

It looks way too much like happy space bubble fun time, and the play just seems.....I dunno, slow? dumbed down? the rock paper scissors is too formulaic?

Its just more of Blizzard getting away from what made their games great in the first place
>>
>>318207828
Is that your fetish?
>>
>>318207584
>>318207519
>>318207347
You could see them in some really old concept art. They were dungbeetle looking motherfuckers with SC2 protoss looking color scheme.
>>
>>318206571
Pretty much, WC3 was just a stepping stone to WoW more than an RTS game and it was the first game that had the new art style. WC3 was the turning point for Blizzard turning to shit.

Still, gameplay wise SC2 is fun and I like the way it looks.
>>
>>318208063
>You could see them in some really old concept art.

Really? Mind posting some of that concept art?
>>
File: Artanis_SC1_Head2[1].jpg (9 KB, 370x330) Image search: [Google]
Artanis_SC1_Head2[1].jpg
9 KB, 370x330
>>318207791
He just had them bound together.
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 724x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 724x720
>>318198171
I assume they kept the same theme and that Is the Protoss version of a smug face.
>>
I feel that the hybrid weren't used to their full potential.
>>
>>318208235
stop frogposting
>>
>>318207791
This is a race that teleports their wounded and rebuilds them as cyborgs and teleports their buildings, Im sure they can just fix that shit with surgery and implants.
>>
>>318206571
Pretty much this. But almost nobody here has even played WC2 or were even alive when it came out.

I felt the same way about Diablo 2 when it came out and still can't figure out what people see in the game.
>>
File: hybridrising3[1].jpg (84 KB, 596x180) Image search: [Google]
hybridrising3[1].jpg
84 KB, 596x180
>>318208165
I don't think this is the concept art I remember, but you can kinda see one there. I guess they did always have the tentacle faces at least.
>>
>>318208474
You can't fix something like that. Those nerve cords are supposed to be their connection to the Khala or some shit like that.
>>
>>318208403
Yeah they were just generic, pretty strong units.
They had no character to them.
Did they have personalities? How did amon control them? Literally no background to them, other than "hurr zerg protoss hybrig are evil, kill them"
>>
>>318198171
just the writing

the rest of the game is fun as shit, multiplayer is fantastic, even the single player is fun if you mostly ignore the writing or just take it as fanfiction

starter edition and spawning has gotten at least four of my friends into the game
>>
>>318208403
They didn't feel threatening at all. Both in appearance and in gameplay. Sure, they were hyped up to be the unstoppable and extremely powerful and all that, but when you can easily eliminate them in-game it kind of ruins it.
>>
>>318208614
that is a queen
>>
>>318208690
They were just prototypes for his body, just mindless drones doing his bidding.
>>
>>318208690
>>318208858
Do you think the hybrid have worked as a playable race?
>>
>>318208867
The dude standing there, not the obvious queen in the tank.
>>
>>318208796
SC2 has pretty much the same writing that WC3 had. However their cutscene direction is FAR worse. They need to replace pretty much everybody working on them.
>>
File: hybrid reaver.gif (480 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
hybrid reaver.gif
480 KB, 125x125
Hybrids were aesthetically cool but not much beyond that
>>
>>318208480
Nigga how is D2 a sidestep from D1?
The only thing i remember people complaining about was that you where outdoors and not just going down into a hole, and that there was actuall sunlight in like ActII.
Other then that people liked D2 from what i remember.
>>
>>318198171
Hiring David Kim?
>>
>>318208647
>You can't fix something like that.

They have space magic science and rip shit apart with their minds, the fact that they may be able to build a prosthetic or clone a part lost isnt that unbelievable compared to the shit we know they do.
>>
>>318209000
AIUR. ZEALOT.
>>
>>318209210
>Templar in a hybrid lab
>looks nothing like a protoss aside from the weapons which the protoss got from the Xel'Naga before having the shit retconned out of them.
>>
>>318206498
custom games pissed me off because there were so many good ones getting made but nobody was able to find or play them so all the creators gave up and moved on to other things.
>>
>>318198171
>zeratul's dies in a generic anime fight
>>
>>318209443
Don't forget the part where he disintegrates for no reason at all.
>>
>>318209168
We've regenerated missing digits by isolating salamander genes and applying them to wounds and our species hasn't traveled beyond our moon.

I'm pretty sure the protoss could do better.
>>
>>318209339
>>Templar in a hybrid lab
>Is a queen.
>>
>>318209534
>for no reason
Every other protoss we've seen die dissapears. What exactly is wrong with it?
>>
Zeratul "The First Protoss Bro" should've been the lead and should not of died.

Artanis was okay, but he's no Zeratul.
>>
>>318209534
Obiwan returned to the force
>>
>>318209602
What the fuck are you talking about?
This concept art is from after Broodwar but before Starcraft 2 was released and it's titled Hybrid Lab.
You can't look at this with all the SC2 retcons in mind. Protoss were tribal plant people that get tech from the Xel'Naga and the Xel'Naga were the ones doing the hybrid experiments.
>>
>>318200969
look on the bright side at least hots is getting its ass kicked by dota lol and smite also with its competition being free to play overwatch will probably flop
>>
>>318209534
We've never seen a protoss die before, they all get warped home to be put into dragoons and shit usually. No reason for them not to disappear like that when they die.
>>
>>318209727
They disappear for a reason. They're recalled to whatever base/planet/ship they're supposed to return to when suffering near mortal wounds.

Zeratul had nowhere to be recalled. And even if that were the case, nothing is mentioned of it.
>>
>>318209119
I just didn't like how little variety they had.

It was either "70% zerg/30% protoss" and vice versa
>>
File: when u make da post.jpg (146 KB, 1043x653) Image search: [Google]
when u make da post.jpg
146 KB, 1043x653
>>318205832

Please define "Remotely active", as brood war still has a regular playerbase of a couple hundred, at least. By that metric, Warcraft III and total Annihilation do, as well. In Vietnam, you can still find a fair number of people playing age of empires 1 and 2 as well as Red Alert.

>>318206498
You've hit the nail on the head. Last time I played ladder there wasn't a map in rotation nearly as good as fighting spirit.

A friend of mine bought LOV and I played ladder again on his account to find out everyone starts with like 12 workers now and try all these new units, most of which don't feel like a useful addition. At least when brood war came out months after the base game that devourers, medics, corsairs etc. were actually game affecting units that contributed in meaningful ways.

Can someone tell me what the fuck blizzard was thinking when they added the cyclone?
>>
>>318210075
>We've never seen a protoss die before

Dragoons die on the battlefield. You never see them being recalled. There's blood and shit everywhere when they die in SC1.
>>
>>318209119
They're just big Hydras with blue stuff
>>
>>318209828
He just went to a higher plane to teach luke from the high ground.
>>
File: Dragoon_SC1_HeadAnim1.gif (69 KB, 60x56) Image search: [Google]
Dragoon_SC1_HeadAnim1.gif
69 KB, 60x56
>>318210229
That's the blue liquid they float in inside the dragoon.
>>
>>318209953
Wierd to see that a concept art for a game have something to do with that game.
>>
>>318210229
>blood
You've never noticed how the portrait clearly shows a protoss submerged in a liquid, in both SC1 and SC2? What makes you think the pilot isn't warped out (again) and the dragoon just leaks the liquid all over the place when it's destroyed? In SC2, the liquid doesn't even ooze out, they just explode like a generic protoss machine/ship.
>>
>>318210357
Indeed, but you never see them being warped/recalled/whatever like the Zealots and Dark Templars.

Fenix, as a dragoon, died on the battlefield. He was never recalled or anything.
>>
>>318210436
The original game, not the garbled retcon mess that SC2 turned out to be.
>>
>>318210581
You never see his corpse either, could have evaporated too.
>>
>>318198171
The world changed around SC2 and SC2 didn't change to suit it.
>>
A story of political characters with motivations revolving around power and freedom and ideals fight it out in a sector of space.
Desperate alliances, betrayals, friends becoming foes.
Fights being about armies and fleets.

Then in SC2 its:
Ancient evil awakens. Prophecies. Tidings of dooooooom. "save our galaxy".
Cartoonishly evil moustache twirling antagonists.
Every established character either retconned or otherwise raped.
Power of love and friendship overcomes evil.
Fights being about DBZ superheroes who are apparently more powerful than a fleet of cruisers.

Sigh.
Gone are the days where we were a marshal trying to evac his colony while being assaulted by ferocious monsters.
In SC2 all the stakes are so goddamn astronomical that its impossible to give a damn about any if that shit.
Worst writing I've ever seen in any media ever. Worse than ME3.
>>
>>318206324
I finally bought it with the British forces release, and just couldn't get into it

The amount of visual fluff is so off putting, endless animations and effects really distract you from the gameplay and get really quite confusing at times. They somehow also managed to make the interface worse than the 8-year old predecessor, making squad health smaller, the minimap and unit information clustered. It admittedly wasn't as bad of a sequel as dow 2 but I definitely won't be moving over from the original.
>>
>>318210231
>>318210107
Yeah they were basically strong mindless slaves that were big zerg archetypes plus psionic stuff.
I mean zerg lieutenants had personality and their chain of command. Fenix was a basic Zealot and he was a character.
Why bother mixing two races into what is organizationally a lesser of the their separate halves.
>>
File: 1429584522733.png (123 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1429584522733.png
123 KB, 300x300
>THE HYBRIDS ARE EVIL AND ABOMINATIONS
>but what if they were just brainwashed slaves of amon like everyone else-
>ABOMINATIONS THEY SHOULD BE GENOCIDED AND DESTROYED
It's the same bullshit when Amon's terran troops were using Pylons to warp in that one mission, and they're all like "Oh my god, truely Amon is worse than Space Hitler how is this possible?!"
What with all this negative shit about races copying or fusing other races' tech and shit?
>>
Whatever happened to Ulrezaj?
>>
>>318198171
story's shit.
characters butchered.
RTS is just not the right genre nowadays. All of its potential audience went to MOBA.
Game's both too hard for beginners and not deep enough for professionals--LOTV fixed some of this.
Overall it's more about the decline of the genre than the game. Blizzard simply failed to board the MOBA train.
>>
>>318211926
Using xenos technology is the highest form of heresy and is a betrayal of the weapons gifted to you by the emperor himself
>>
File: 1448707475080.jpg (37 KB, 449x546) Image search: [Google]
1448707475080.jpg
37 KB, 449x546
I still don't fucking understand where Raynor found the time to fall in love with Kerrigan.

The introduction was a pile of spaghetti when Raynor didn't realize she was psychic, followed by what, 3-4 missions until she gets ditched to the Zerg? Then spends 70% of the time as a mindless killing machine, betrays every major lore character at least once, becomes the Queen Bitch of the Universe, but everything is suddenly all flowers and sparkles once the magic plot stone makes her infestation go "poof" on Char? All those lives she took, protoss and human, even Fenix, just forgotten in the name of bollywood love? What the actual fuck?
>>
>>318212192
how did LOTV fix mp?
>>
>>318211926
Didn't maar have free will?
Speaking of maar what was the point of imprisoning the protoss?
>>
>>318212192
>LOTV fixed some of this.
Which part? Beginner friendly or better for professionals? I've seen that you start with more workers at the start now, but apparently a lot of passives were reworked into actives, like protoss' immortals
>>
>>318201204
>a game is successful only if it has twitch viewers

I wish you people would just fucking die
>>
Didn't the Khala stop Zerg infestation of the Protoss
Isn't that a big problem now after LotV
>>
If they update the co-op mode with new maps, I'll definitely start playing SC2 more frequently.

That shit is fun as hell.
>>
>>318212557

I actually think the game's become harder overall. I haven't played since WoL, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. That being said, the game seems to move at a much faster pace due to increased starting resources. You have to expand really quickly and tons of units now have micro-heavy actives (e.g., disruptors) that increase APM requirements overall. The only part that seems to be easier is the fact that it's easier to defend against early all-ins.
>>
>>318213813
So, longer games? That sounds actually nice, although increased starting resources means easier early rushes
>>
>>318213968

>That sounds actually nice, although increased starting resources means easier early rushes

Actually, it's the opposite of what you said. Rushes are easier to defend against and macro games are shorter overall due to the fact that everyone can tech and expand at light speed.
>>
>>318213471
Yea, they really need to add new maps to co-op. Instead they're working on adding that neckbeard mechanic from LotV as a commander.
>>
>>318198171

3 games when its really only suppost to be 1.
>>
>>318214282
I see. Haven't played mp (or other rts) in a while
>>
File: carrier has arrived.jpg (115 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
carrier has arrived.jpg
115 KB, 600x399
Fucked up the characters
Fucked up the story
Fucked up the aesthetics
Fucked up the content with extremely slow releases
Fucked up the multiplayer by forcing their e-sports obsession into everything
Fucked up custom maps

And, ultimately, fucked up by taking so fucking long to make the game that at that point no one cared any more and everyone moved on to other RTS developers after WoW had made it clear that Blizzard had no fucking clue what they were doing anymore.
>>
>>318214658
>Fucked up the multiplayer by forcing their e-sports obsession into everything

>the reason anyone remembers SC/BW
>>
I don't have the knee-jerk "it's slightly worse therefore it's shiiiit" reaction as some of /v/, so, in my opinion, nothing went wrong.
Not a lot went right, but nothing went wrong, so it all came out pretty average.
6.5/10, could've been much better, not as good as SC1/BW, but not unplayable.
It was fine, and I got out of it what I wanted in the end (though it took until LotV to get it). I consider the SC2 saga to be acceptable, but only just.
>>
>>318203449
Well least HotS is F2P

But when Overwatch launches and no one plays for a few good months I doubt they will keep it pay to play.
>>
>>318215117
It's a Blizzard game. Not even D3 went F2P.
>>
>>318214658
>Other RTS

No, they moved on to MOBAs. The RTS Genre has been dead for years.
>>
>>318215168
... because Diablo III is a proper game on its own. It is not an obligate multiplayer experience.
You could say it's a practical multiplayer experience, but it is not obligate.
>>
>>318215117
why make it F2P straight away when you can fleece blizzdrones first
>>
File: this kid.png (5 KB, 171x174) Image search: [Google]
this kid.png
5 KB, 171x174
>Kerrigan is actually a Xelnaga and the zerg were the good guys all along
>>
>>318203468
Insurgency
Ns2
Ut4
Toxikk

Kill urself frat boy
>>
>>318215519
>Kerrigan is actually a Xelnaga
Kerrigan is made into a Xel'Naga by a Xel'Naga.
>and the zerg were the good guys all along
Not really. In the end zerg are allied only to themselves, but they understand cessation of hostilities and alliances like any sapient race.
>>
>>318215519
This is how I felt about WC3 and the orcs. Blizzards writing has been fucktarded for a long ass time.
>>
>>318215264
Titanfall and Evolve aren't F2P either even after being failures. None of Blizzards games have gone F2P either, not even WoW.
>>
File: 1447276439160.gif (1 KB, 127x133) Image search: [Google]
1447276439160.gif
1 KB, 127x133
>>318215654

>Not really. In the end zerg are allied only to themselves, but they understand cessation of hostilities and alliances like any sapient race.
>mass murdering Zagara in charge of not pulling a man of murder on every race she sees

Do you even listen to some of her ingame dialog? "ALL WILL BE SLAUGHTERED BEFORE THE SWARM" "THE SWARM WILL CONSUME ALL" "BOW BEFORE THE MIGHT OF THE ZERG, FILTHY FLESHLINGS".

Totally peaceful though, rite?
>>
>>318216063
Titanfall was a success. A very mild one, but nonetheless.
>>
>>318216260
Zagara withdraws to bide her time.
Maybe she goes and attacks the UED, but she's not going to interfere with the protoss or koprulu sector humans at the moment because attacking your allies immediately after winning a war is quite rude. And they'd just ally and blow her away, since she doesn't have ultimate primal Kerrigan there to spearhead the swarm anymore.
As said: they're allied only to themselves, but are in a cessation of hostility, at least until their forces are built back up.
>>
>>318215654
>but they understand cessation of hostilities and alliances like any sapient race.

Kerrigan did, the zerg dont, without the Queen Bitch the zerg are back on the warpath of consume all or die trying.
>>
>>318206224
>Is this the end of Starcraft
I hope so. They need to develop some new IP's so they can break away from the nostalgiafags.
>>
File: 1402459466070.jpg (38 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1402459466070.jpg
38 KB, 500x375
I beat the game a couple of days ago, the vanilla ending with just the Protoss wasn't so bad, but the epilogue took me for a fucking loop.

Can someone explain to me what the fuck happened? How in the fuck does Kerrigan come back?
>>
>>318216660
The endslate of LotV notes that Zagara withdraws to Char, at least for now.
It's probably not permanent. The way of the zerg is infestation. But at least for the two-year interim of Amon's downfall until Raynor's disappearance, the zerg are quiet.
>>
File: disgusting tbh.jpg (46 KB, 367x380) Image search: [Google]
disgusting tbh.jpg
46 KB, 367x380
>>318198171

>get LotV today
>start laddering up from bronze as brand new player
>faggot macros even better than me and takes gold bases too, beats me

>check his profile, last seasons platinum and diamond

it wasn't even a placement match. What the fuck?
>>
>>318216834
Kerrigan is now a Xel'Naga. That means she exists within the Void, outside this world, but can reach down into this world to do shenanigans.
So she comes back down doing the same thing "Samir Duran" did.
>>
>>318216260
>>318216651

Dindu nuffin zergs under kerrigan sucked.

Zagara can save the zerg lore. It does say in the epilogue that she invaded some worlds surrounding Char.
>>
>>318198171
They took 20 years to make the fucking DLC.
>>
>>318211454

How to make he game playable:

Turn off unit description
Turn off XP notices except for kills
Turn off the annoying ass music
Turn on team colors.

There you go, game is enjoyable again.
>>
>>318217709

lol retard
>>
>>318217709
I've heard that a lot of pro players play with the graphic settings at minimum and disable all the extra stuff.
Turning off the XP notices really help though.
Not sure about unit descriptions. Music doesn't bother in the end.
>>
File: Starcraft.jpg (417 KB, 1097x820) Image search: [Google]
Starcraft.jpg
417 KB, 1097x820
They lack the awesome feeling of the original game
>>
I just beat it and I was pretty pissed.

The whole campaign was a bunch of fucking nothing. You grab a couple allies and then solo the boss for no reason.

Fuck man. In SC1, you had both protss and terran ganging up to rape the overlord and the overlord is some kind of super bitch compared to this villain yet the protoss just go in and wreck his shit with a devastated army and half their civilization killed and destroyed.

I thought we were going to get a battle where the zerg, terrans, and protoss all got together and took on some insanely hard level.

This was disappointing on so many levels. Even when I saw the credits I was thinking there was no way this was really the end.

This game was so bad. WoL was pretty good and then it just got worse and worse with each new campaign.
>>
>>318198171
They waited WAY too long for a sequel. Then they spread the sequel out over too long a time period.
>>
>>318218294
That's normal on 90% of the games nowadays
>>
>>318218294
>awesome feeling
nigga that screenshot is from the mission you can't win, even if you technically win
>>
>>318218294
>that mission
i thought i was the only one who did something like this, but my strat was slightly different
i maxed supply and base swapped with the toss in the upper right, lined the entire valley into the ramp with tanks and marines, built a few turrets and wraiths/bcs to deal with any air coming from the left, and then killed the remaining protoss
>>
>>318219098
And it was great.
>>
WoL
>i must turn Kerrigan into a human again

HoTs
>I must immediately turn Kerrigan into zerg again to avenge the man who made me human

fucking
what
blizz
>>
File: 1448751014628.jpg (155 KB, 768x364) Image search: [Google]
1448751014628.jpg
155 KB, 768x364
>>318198171
>>
>>318218127

Nice reply dipshit
>>
>>318219876
Remember: Jimmy in WoL was being played like a fiddle. Turning Kerrigan human doesn't actually help anybody.
>>
>>318219885
kerrigan is the worst videogame character in history
>>
LotV is the best starcraft multiplayer since brood war
hots killed the game sure, but lotv has a good chance reviving it
>>
>>318200969

You do realise that Diablo III is one of the best-selling games of all time, right? Most people didn't say " fuck you Blizzard" when it came out.
>>
>>318205514
>valvedrones are this deluded
>>
>>318200969

>child support money

kek
>>
>>318219885
but the HotS campaign was the most fun campaign
>>
File: tumblr_mop7hrvmpZ1rokl7no1_400.jpg (51 KB, 398x380) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mop7hrvmpZ1rokl7no1_400.jpg
51 KB, 398x380
>>318220037
It fixed everything?
>>
>>318198171

the story was written by a retard
>>
>>318205534
And how do you know that? What's the budget?
>>
>>318220081
oh yeah, why does it have no viewers on Twitch then?

it's only popular if I say it is
>>
>>318220168
it's in the process of doing so, yes
it fixed all of the problems hots had and is fixing all the problems sc2 has in general over time
the new units are cool and require some sort of micro / counter play
most of the maps are decent, some are good and some are bad respectively
separate mmr for each race is coming
in game tournaments are super fun
more room for unique play styles and builds with so many different viable unit compositions
>>
>>318220313
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/08/05/believe-it-or-not-diablo-3-is-now-the-10th-best-selling-video-game-of-all-time/
>>
>>318220404
I don't like it so Blizzard is clearly lying and that statistic is bullshit
>>
>>318220364
it can't fix the main problem with sc2: it's an RTS, a type of game which is inherently shit and which nobody wants to play
>>
>>318220634
besides for the people online playing right now
>>
>>318220943
bet more people are playing fucking farming simulator LMAO
>>
>>318219236
It's not a hard mission. Protoss have pretty much no air and no high templar in this mission so I just went mass tanks with firebat support, and like 6 wraiths for the few scouts they had. Zerg attacks not that hard to beat, just put down like 6 bunkers and a few clusters of turrets and you're good.
>>
>>318220634
Sorry you can't micro so you have to play mobas senpai
>>
>>318221431
at least my game isn't dead SoBayed
>>
>>318221097
honestly the worst logic anyone could have
more popular =/= better
look at lol, cod, justin beiber, one direction, shitty action movies, etc.
>>
>>318207984
Not that anon but they are too damn long for the amount of actual story involved.

If you take the original Starcraft or the Warcraft RTS games each race has about 10 missions or so of campaign but each mission actually advances the plot forward and in some cases there is a real sense of urgency to it all.

Sc2 has campaigns that are at least 75% filler with 20 to 30 (in the case of WOL) missions and they ran out of ideas around mission 7. You more or less just bounce from planet to planet doing side missions until you hit some arbitrary number to allow you to do something meaningful in the plot. How many times in WOL did you sit and do a hold out mission? How many times in LoTV did you have to DESTROY X CORRUPTED FUCKING CRYSTALS? Gotta give HoTS some credit that I don't recall as many repeated mission objectives as the other two, but I could be mistaken since Kerrigan is so fucking OP you can cheese your way through without even trying.
>>
Hey guys, remember when they said that the Protoss campaign would have diplomatic elements? What happened to that?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.