[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lockpicking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: lockpick_100.webm (736 KB, 400x278) Image search: [Google]
lockpick_100.webm
736 KB, 400x278
Which games have the best Lockpicking mechanics?
>>
oblivion, no contest
>>
>>318183321
Is that chain taped to the lock?
>>
The Dark Mod
>>
>>318183409
risen 2\3, step back
>>
Holy shit that webm looks terrible, like it's a fucking gif or something.
>>
>>318183321
MGV
the character already knows how to fucking pick locks
>>
File: 1443037273797.jpg (192 KB, 897x768) Image search: [Google]
1443037273797.jpg
192 KB, 897x768
>>318183695
>Press Triangle to rapidly pick the lock
>>
>>318183637
what gave it away?
the watermark on the top right?
>>
>>318184303
Didn't even see that, I only noticed the framerate. Why the fuck is it a webm now then? Why downgrade it?
>>
>>318184397
>Why downgrade it?

>736 KB

original file might have been greater than allowed. So someone converted it.
>>
>>318183409
Oblivion's was pretty good. I used to do this pausing trick when I was younger to do the lockpicking, but I forgot how to do it and actually played the mini game. It was pretty cool, actually. A bit challenging at first, but pretty easy to get the hang of and felt good when you picked a lock without losing any lockpicks.
>>
>>318183321
Splinter Cell
nancy drew
>>
>>318184632
So, you just downgrade shit because there's a chance it had a larger than allowed filesize? That's fucking retarded you know.
>>
bioshock 1
>>
>>318184719
Who cares, you fucking autist?
>>
>>318184719
what?

what chance?

If the file was too big then it was converted
that's it, no chance

the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>318183459
The lock is so long you can just pull the door handle thing without opening the lock.

The chain doesn't serve a purpose here
>>
>>318184960
>what?
>
>what chance?
It was said they converted it because it might have been greater than allowed. Not because it was greater than allowed. That chance.

>If the file was too big then it was converted
>that's it, no chance
Okay, then why was it converted? How do you know it had a greater filesize?
>>
>>318185102
>>318184937
>>
>>318184719
The fuck are you talking about? It was a gif too big, so he made a webm of it. The quality is the same as the original gif, what downgrade are you talking about
>>
Any game that freezes time while you pick the lock should be invalidated.

Most minigames are stupid as hell, too. I'd rather it just be an automated process that takes a couple seconds while you look over your shoulder for any guards coming by who may spot you.
>>
>>318185191
>It was a gif too big
[citation needed]

>The quality is the same as the original gif
It's a webm compressed with the VP8 codec. That's lossy compression. Unlike .gif compression which is lossless. It's not the same, it's lossy.
>>
>>318185416
>>318184937
>>
>>318183409
I never saw why people hated Oblivions lockpicking mechanic.

For me, I really liked how even people with low security skill could still pick any lock, its just was unlikely for you to do because of the way in which the locks actually worked. Skyrim meanwhile you basically had F3/FNV style lockpicking, which forces you out of being able to pick higher locks to make things artificially more difficult.

Saying that, the fact that Bethesda didn't bother adding a different texture for different doors/chests so in essence doors in Chorrol have the same locks as Ayleid tombs made it feel rather stupid. That and the skeleton key made security entirely pointless.
>>
>>318185626
>its just was unlikely for you to do because of the way in which the locks actually worked.
Learn to lockpick. The correct picking method falls at a certain rate and you can do it pretty much regardless of your skill.
>>
>>318184858
I've been trying to find a copy of pipedream ever since I played that in bioshock....
>>
>>318186197
It wasn't a complaint. High security negated the chance of you failing the prongs and having them all reset, as well strengthening your lockpicks.

All I'm saying it's theoretically harder for low security players to pick hard/very hard locks. Even though yes there is a method ( listen to the sound of each prong etc ).
>>
>>318185045
Yeah I get that. But it looks like the last link of the chain is taped to the lock instead of taking the lock through the chain.
>>
>>318187202
Could be welded on.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (109 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
109 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>318185102

there's no chance about it
either it was or it wasn't

>because there's a chance it had a larger than allowed filesize?

your previous post implied it was converted before an upload was even attempted

>chance
>noun
>1. a possibility of something happening.

you're retarded anon
>>
Deus Ex
>no pointless minigame
>can pick locks without training lockpicking, training just makes it take less picks and go faster
Also this: >>318188667
>>
>>318189096
>there's no chance about it
>either it was or it wasn't
I'm not the one that said might. Might means there's a chance.

>your previous post implied it was converted before an upload was even attempted
How?
You're now implying the it wasn't converted before trying an upload though, which I don't see why you'd think that either.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.