[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hl3 when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 16
File: half-life-3-logo.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
half-life-3-logo.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
I don't really play vidya anymore, but i still want to know about any news regarding HL3

any updates?
any leaks?
is tonight the night?
>>
Yea, this little bit just got leaked last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGLdOzGObWo&feature=youtu.be&t=1345
>>
File: 1440085932019.gif (205 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1440085932019.gif
205 KB, 500x500
>>
>>318176985
the implication fot this post is that HL3 will be VR?
>>
>>318177157
Nah, it's a joke. It was confirmed two months ago that HL3 won't be a VR game anyway.

This is all the information we have on HL3 so far.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Future_of_the_Half-Life_series
>>
>>318176908
>is tonight the night?

What's happening tonight?
>>
File: 1290275824696.jpg (102 KB, 461x523) Image search: [Google]
1290275824696.jpg
102 KB, 461x523
>>318177157

Nah man, the implication is they dont care anymore. they want to sweep it under the rug.
>>
>>318177323
8/10 genuinely possible you're retarded and new.

OP, the only information given about ANY new Valve games was a list of files snapped at a tour that reveals they're working on L4D3. HL3 is likely more of a proof of concept behind their newest engine than anything.
>>
Just let the dream die anons.is for the best, thijk about it what would happen if hl3 is realeased with this current state of the industry?
>>
HL3 will be made as soon as valve figure out a way to put microtransactions in it
>>
>>318177452
Well I'm not aware of 'is tonight the night?' being a meme or anything
>>
>>318177642
Because you don't fucking lurk. I hate you.
>>
There are tons of evidence pointing how Valve has been working on Half-Life 3 for the past three years.
>>
>>318177387
Guy in the video probably doesn't spend a lot of time near Valve's game series, especially Half-life. Only the toppest of top men there are allowed anywhere close to the project.
>>
>>318177736
I wouldn't say "tons of evidence", but there are strong implications
>>
If they're not going to release it can they at least give the fuckign rights to someone so they can make a book. fuck i just want closure.
>>
File: dTgJ1WZ.png (51 KB, 1117x364) Image search: [Google]
dTgJ1WZ.png
51 KB, 1117x364
>>318177942
Half-Life's story doesn't work like that, read the second email
This is a response to The Know's video, by the way
>>
Valve said portal 2 might be their last single player game.
>>
No one seems to understand that if this game were to actually be a thing it would be extremely over-hyped, thus killing the game.
>>
Here's why Half Life 3 won't be released in a very long time (If it ever gets released).

Valve originally had a full team working on it, but they kept taking staff for other projects (Mostly Steam related stuff, as well as games that make them lots of money with microtransactions such as TF2, CS:GO or Dota 2), so right now they have a skeleton crew on it.

Valve doesn't want to release Half Life 3 because they don't need it, they're already earning millions of dollars with Steam, as well as F2P games such as Dota 2 or TF2. Not to mention that they fear that any issue with the game might cause a massive backlash, in fact, the ME3 ending outrage a few years ago just reinforced their stance on this

td;dr: Valve doesn't want to risk their public image or earnings in case HL3 flops for any reason
>>
>>318178126
They never said that.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-09-valve-not-giving-up-on-single-player
>>
>>318178059
fucking this
the game was only ever a sequence of setpieces that showed off the engine
what made the game special was that the engine and mechanics are fuckign amazing
also it just happened that they stiched the story together really well from these set pieces
>>
>>318178173
>but they kept taking staff for other projects
Valve doesn't work like that. People can work on anything they want as long as they have good reason for it.
>>
>>318178173
>in fact, the ME3 ending outrage a few years ago just reinforced their stance on this

That's been confirmed as total bullshit and is basically something someone who believes in the 'le entitled gamers' meme would come up with
>>
>>318178180
okay so, when single player game is more valuable way to spend valve employees time they might make one
not gonna happen
>>
>>318178173
>td;dr: Valve doesn't want to risk their public image or earnings in case HL3 flops for any reason
See
>>318178059
They don't see fear as a thing that drives their decisions
>>
>>318177724
I'm feeling your dedication and all, but I would clap you if I saw you on the street.
>>
>>318178173
It's impossible for HL3 to flop if they spend enough money on marketing. They could take a dump in a box and it would sell. Just look at the other AAA games.
>>
I want retards who take videos from The Know as established fact to leave.
>>
>>318176908
>but i still want to know about any news regarding HL3
It's pretty much universally agreed that it's more-or-less a dead project. Even Valvetime basically gave up. The last "leak" we had was a confirmation that HL3 is been worked on - by a team of six people. Which basically means some people are still faffing about with it, probably the guy who made Minerva: Metastasis being among them, they are probably doing some prototyping, but there is no serious commitment. I think Valve just kinda completely lost any trust or human connection to their fanbase. They are probably appropriately realizing that it does not really matter what they would release, half of the world would still treat them as shit because that is how people treat games that have hype behind them, and they really don't want to make anything unless they somehow accidentally come across something really, really cool in their prototyping.
I also think they just really don't know how to top HL2 at this point. They probably don't have any kind of really revolutionary idea, no way to make HL3 feel as a great step forward, and don't want to release anything mediocre.
Plus, it's not like they need the money.
Potentially dissasterous PR from releasing something unsatisfying is much more of a worry to them than the profits from HL3 are appealing.
>>
File: 1436485898390.gif (973 KB, 320x228) Image search: [Google]
1436485898390.gif
973 KB, 320x228
It's not coming out because Valve as a company in it's current state is incapable of making a large scale AAA game.

Everyone does what they want and fucks around with pet projects. It's very unlikely that 100+ people would all come together voluntarily at the same time to work on it unless there's strong central management that says 'this is what we're doing', which isn't how they work.
>>
Doesn't Valve have some Laissez-faire method of how their developers create content?

I heard a small group of people team up and just fuck around on whatever they want to do. I can't imagine how difficult it is to try and reform the company into a strict AAA game team to develop something massive like HL3
>>
>>318178507
>Even Valvetime basically gave up.
But they haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDckRZrvxdA

>The last "leak" we had was a confirmation that HL3 is been worked on - by a team of six people.

What leak are you talking about?
>>
File: newell-young.jpg (63 KB, 650x369) Image search: [Google]
newell-young.jpg
63 KB, 650x369
>>318178173

makes sense, narrative driven single player games are not interesting financially compared to multiplayer FPS's / MOBAs that you can milk for years with hats and skins. Sad though if Valve with Gabe at the helm has that MO. They can easily afford to blow a big budget on HL3 and make that money back even if it's less profitable.

The other two possibilities I see are that they rebooted development to make it a VR game or it's a DNF situation where they keep adding / changing shit b/c they can never meet the astronomic expectations.
>>
>valve is too scared to make HL3 hurr

Is everyone gonna ignore Marc Laidlaw's very recent response to this statement? The fucking main writer of the Half-Life series?
>>
File: 1434195303205.jpg (34 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
1434195303205.jpg
34 KB, 600x300
The game is never coming. The launch of SteamOS + Steammachines was basically the last logical point it could have tied into.
>>
>>318179209
Dimwit anon here

What did he say?
>>
>>318179304
see
>>318178059
>>
>>318178059
Marc Laidlaw is such a cool dude.
>>
>Valve pushing out:
>Steam Machines
>Steam Controller
>Steam Link
>Steam OS
>Steam VR
>Previously Paid Mods (which was pulled because they saw the community being destroyed)
>yet people are still saying Valve is too scared to make a certain decision
>>
HL3 is a bit like Nuclear Disarmament in V. it will happen when we all stop doing these threads and stop caring and one day out of the blue we will get a note pop up on Steam,

>'It's out now, $49.99'
>>
>>318180942
Marc Laidlaw is actually pretty open to answering emails (as long it's not explicitly related to Half-Life 3)
>>
File: marc laidlaw.png (121 KB, 1445x778) Image search: [Google]
marc laidlaw.png
121 KB, 1445x778
>>318181314
>>318180942
>>
File: gabe email.png (210 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
gabe email.png
210 KB, 1080x1920
>>
File: 1382107530630.jpg (115 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1382107530630.jpg
115 KB, 919x720
Just give up. I did.
>>
>>318181614
lol
wish this one was real
>>
>Half life 3 but its similar to synergy
>Can host open or closed campaign missions so other people can join and the amount of enemies/difficulty scales

The greatest time in Synergy was with around 15 people when you first got teleported... I was the first in that little lift and we had over 50+ combine soldiers running in and everyone was dying while I was protected and watching the onslaught. And Raven was a bitch with hordes of fucking crabs.
>>
File: gabe emaill.jpg (329 KB, 1350x1600) Image search: [Google]
gabe emaill.jpg
329 KB, 1350x1600
>>318181691
>>
>>318181924
Can you please post real ones, they're just funnier
>>
Valve doesn't make games. They are a third party software distributor.

Valve took from the gaming community, and took, and took, and took, and took, but they do not give. The only reason why Halflife 1 was a popular purchase was so that people could play Counterstrike (free) Team Fortress Classic (free) Firearms (Free) and Action Halflife (Free) and Science and Industry (free...)

Halflife was a platform for great modded multiplayer games that were more whacky and original than anything Valve could come up with. They started to understand this when they released CS: Source and charged about $20-30 for it, so it was no longer "If you purchase Half Life 2, you have access to potentially a lot of great mods." It was now "All of those mods you enjoyed before are now owned by us and must be purchased at $30 a piece."

L4D was a mod. Portal was created by a graduating group of university students. DOTA is a mod. Valve hasn't made a game in 8 years since the release of the Orange Box. Why would they? They literally do absolutely nothing at all yet take 15-30% of every sale purchase on their Steam Store page.

They became their competition- they became Activision, EA, etc.. but the sad thing- the really pathetic thing, is that at least Activision and EA release games.
>>
>>318182003
That one was real though
>>
File: ven.png (596 KB, 980x724) Image search: [Google]
ven.png
596 KB, 980x724
>>318178528
This. Just read Valve's glassdoor posts.

>""Placing any bets on a long-term career at this random and cliquish company is probably as wise as betting all your life savings on a single spin of a roulette wheel in Vegas. At this point Valve has devolved into a place you work at to pad your resume and make some bonus cash. Be prepared to be let down once you're inside. The basic idea of Valve works well with small (30-50 person) companies, but utterly fails to scale to a company with hundreds of people. The board and their closest friends have become extremely wealthy, so they have very little incentive to fix the company. This organization has a purposely opaque, hierarchical, secretive, and very rigid management structure. Many of the board of directors and their friends are utterly capricious and conceited. The longer an employee is at Valve, the more they singularly focus on protecting their yearly bonuses and the less they care about basically everything else. Some projects can go on literally for 5+ years wandering around pointlessly without shipping, with little to no direction, and no accountability. This company is terrible at writing and shipping large scale software, and sneers at words like "software engineering", "architecture", and "testing". The random mass firings of 2013 tanked moral, and the stream of talent leaving the company during 2014 didn't help. The yearly review process lacks feedback, transparency, and coverage.""
>>
>>318176908
If you payed attention you'd know Half Life 3 will likely never be released. Development is halted, story is not written, voice actors quit, and no one at Valve wants to work on it. There is not as much money in it compared to any other franchise they have running. If they released it, it's almost a guaranteed failure due to the hype and time they've taken to develop it. There's no beneficial reason for them releasing it because making money through steam and micro transactions is more important than wetting the whistles of a few minority fans.
>>
>>318182020
valve give plenty, anon
but they are more interested in giving to developers than to gamers at this point

because they are developers.
>>
>>318182020
>Valve doesn't make games.
This is the greatest meme of all.
>>
I don't see why people still care about half life to be quite honest.

I'd much rather see a new left4dead or something completely new from Valve.
>>
>>318182020
>but they do not give.
they gave us pc gaming back from consoles dood
>>
>>318182429
Lucky for you, L4D3 has been confirmed to be in development by at least two very strong sources
>>
>>318182056
>>318178528
REMINDER THIS WAS "LEAKED" BY A FEMALE EMPLOYEE WHO GOT FIRED AND WAS SO BUTTHURT SHE LIED ABOUT THE COMPANY FOR LIKE TEN HOURS
>>
>>318182020
but valve just made a new engine
what do you think they're going to do with it?
>>
>>318178528
>It's not coming out because Valve as a company in it's current state is incapable of making a large scale AAA game.
Like Portal 2, Dota 2, and eventually L4D3, right?
>>
>>318182056
>This company is terrible at writing and shipping large scale software, and sneers at words like "software engineering", "architecture", and "testing".
literally what

Also wasn't this a post about some butthurt female employee who got fired from the Hardware department?
>>
>>318182561
I work for Activision and honestly it's like this with a lot of companies throughout the world, not just Valve/the games industry.

People get salty/grumpy because they got fired/let go, even though the company doesn't need them anymore. They'll still have the experience under their belts which looks great on a CV.

If your CV said "Valve Corporation" on it, I'm fairly certain you could walk into any job in the industry.
>>
My favorite snack is the big pink cookie.
>>
>>318182561
How is this: >>318182056 a 'leak' you idiot?

It's the logical explanation for why they haven't made any AAA games for so long, and if they do it's partly done by someone else. They simply aren't set up to do so.

It's pretty fucking obvious

>they adopt this weird business model
>suddenly massive projects don't happen any more
>all the focus shifts to peripheral shit like an operating system or VR worked on by small groups of people

It's pretty fucking obvious what's happened.
>>
>>318182974
Portal 2 was made in 2011, and Dota 2 was officially released in 2013.

For comparison, Bethesda's Skyrim was made in 2011, and Fallout 4 was made in 2015. A four-year gap, and they weren't working on a new engine, new hardware, their current games, their own platform, etc. Just Fallout 4 and a mobile app.

But everyone says Valve isn't making games anymore because they no longer crank out a yearly release, at this current time. Bethesda is given a free pass somehow.
>>
>>318182974
you know valve has other things to do aside from making videogames, right?
>>
File: 12427983977.png (7 KB, 288x298) Image search: [Google]
12427983977.png
7 KB, 288x298
>>318176908
Lmao op we're you born in the 2000s?...

This guy right here is the greatest Star Wars game, if not the GREATEST and yes I mean the GREATEST game evermade.
You we're probaly 4 when it came out.

Sad... Yes very sad that you will never experiance waiting inline at 12AM or midnight as some people might call it.

Anyway I'm rambling on now. You can buy it on steam and I do advise you to buy it on steam.
>>
>>318183549
Are you high?
>>
>>318177793
Valve doesn't make games anymore.
>>
>>318183769
How long are you gonna keep parroting this meme? Please scroll up a bit.
>>
>>318182391

Tell me an original IP that Valve has made in the last decade.

And when I say Valve, I mean employees at Valve creating an original IP- not Valve hiring Gooseman on a 7 digit salary so they can use Counterstrike, or hiring that group of Portal Developers out of university so they could quickly slap their logo on it.

If you look, and pay attention, and are over the age of 18, you can actually remember the exact moment where Valve stopped making games- October 2007.

>>318182469

What the fuck does that even mean?

>>318182624

Whatever they want, which is probably nothing.
>>
File: 2015-11-28_15-26-57.png (122 KB, 950x943) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28_15-26-57.png
122 KB, 950x943
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2503050
>>
>>318184252
>If it's not an original idea, it's not developed by Valve
Again, the greatest meme
>>
File: antonov.png (266 KB, 979x788) Image search: [Google]
antonov.png
266 KB, 979x788
>>318183387
Those aren't exactly high end games that require big teams.

I'm not sure why this is hard to believe, it's just confirming why Viktor Antonov left a fucking decade ago.
>>
>>318182726

Portal was made by a group of university students on the Source Engine as a final project. Valve caught wind of it and hired them out of University and released their game, giving them some monetary compensation. While it was made on Source, Valve actually had nothing to do with the map building or storyline or game mechanics in any way whatsoever. Valve did NOT make Portal.

DOTA is a mod. It is NOT a Valve original game.

L4D was a mod. It is NOT a Valve original game. Is your memory so poor that you remember L4D2 releasing 9 months after L4D1 at full price with half the content?

Valve drones are hands down the most blue-pilled kool-aid drinking morons on /v/.
>>
>>318184489
stop being an autismo
>>
>>318184349

So you can't tell anyone what game that Valve Corporation has sat down, planned, created, and then distributed? You're just going to go along with them monopolizing mods that other people made years ago and then saying they're original Valve Works? How fucking pathetic can you be.
>>
>>318184489

Read my post again.

I'm not talking about Portal. I'm talking about Portal 2.

I'm not talking about DOTA. I'm talking about Dota 2.

I'm not talking about L4D. I'm talking about L4D3.
>>
File: adjourned.jpg (47 KB, 296x317) Image search: [Google]
adjourned.jpg
47 KB, 296x317
>>318184649

I'm sorry, am I clouding the issue with facts?
>>
>>318184876
no, you're just getting frustrated over semantics like a grade A autist.

calm the fuck down and stop being autistic
>>
>>318184737
You're saying that Valve didn't develop their games because their ideas came from somewhere else. Game design is much bigger than the ideas.

>then saying they're original Valve Works

I never said that. Nice try though.
>>
>>318185070

>Oh fuck if this guy is somewhat educated in the history and present state of the company I like he better be fucking autistic

If being educated on a topic is autism, then yes- I am autistic. So long Valve Drones- I hope you're content with cheap 6 month dev cycles for unoriginal IP sequels when this company could be churning out some of the greatest games of all time. A shame that would take money and effort that could be better spent padding their own wallets.
>>
>>318185254
Valve drones?

I'm just saying that you should stop shitting up a thread with a pointless semantics debate
>>
>>318178059
Bioware needs to see this!
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.