[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good Lovecraft-inspired games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 74
File: 2423348.jpg (86 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
2423348.jpg
86 KB, 900x675
What are some good Lovecraft-inspired games?
>>
Bloodborne. Call of Cthulu
>>
>>318171623

Demons Souls is fairly lovecraftian tonally.
>>
There are none
>>
Dark Corners of The Earth is gorgeous
>>
>>318171623
Infra Arcana is a pretty good free roguelike and They Bleed Pixels is a pretty good platformer
>>
>>318172834
>Bloodborne is bad

nice contrarianism kid
>>
File: 1439182354565.jpg (2 MB, 1986x2709) Image search: [Google]
1439182354565.jpg
2 MB, 1986x2709
>>318171623
Black ops III shadows of evil
>>
Bloodborne is the best Lovecraft inspired game to come out in the last X years
>>
>>318171623
I haven't played it but Eternal Darkness apparently is kinda Lovecraftian
>>
Bloodborne

Easily the most "Lovecraftian" game there is. More so than any official ones despite only being inspired itself.
>>
File: 2357686-0001.jpg (367 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2357686-0001.jpg
367 KB, 1280x720
>>318171623
Eldritch is pretty good if you ignore the fact that it looks like a shitty minecraft ripoff at first glance. It's basically 3D spelunky set in lovecraft's world.
>>
Darkest Dungeon & Bloodborne just this year.
>>
>>318171623
The Call of Cthulu games are good in terms of "actual" Lovecraftian lore in the form of a game.

There's a shitty minecraft like game called Eldtritch set in a Lovecraft world.

Honestly, Bloodborne is the best recent game that takes inspiration from Lovecraft. The atmosphere, the monsters, and the story is all Lovecraftian as fuck, it surprised me at first.
>>
>>318173209
>the most "Lovecraftian" game there is
Kind of a bold claim. I haven't played it, but isn't it like a souls game where you go around killing monsters like a badass? I mean, that is most games in this thread but it is pretty much the opposite of "Lovecraftian", any horror game would be closer in spirit.
>>
Darkness Within
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 600x900
Gonna hop on with everyone else. Was this an excuse for a Bloodborne thread? How is everyone enjoying the DLC? I haven't been able to play it because finals are coming up, just taking a quick /v/ break.
>>
>>318173028
>30fps action game in 2015
>good
>1/5th the size as DaS1 and 2
>good
>1/10th the amount of content as DaS1 and 2
>good
>>
>>318173663
>I Didn't Play The Game: The Post
>>
File: fluffyhusky1.jpg (173 KB, 600x437) Image search: [Google]
fluffyhusky1.jpg
173 KB, 600x437
>>318173481

>he hasn't played Bloodborne
>he doesn't know about the Lovecraft inspirations
>>
>>318173481
While being able to kill things is indeed quite the contradiction to Lovecraft. Just about everything else the game offers nails is perfectly. The imagery, the story, the sound design, overall atmosphere, everything.
>>
>>318173663
>Wrong
>Wrong
>Wrong
>>
>>318173481
I haven't played it since I don't have a PS4 but even I can tell it's Lovecraft as fuck.
>>
>>318173736

>he

Nice of you to assume that I'm a male, never change 4chan.
>>
File: sadboys.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
sadboys.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>318171623
>tfw no Call of Cthulhu TCG for PC or Steam
>>
Eternal FUCKING Darkness
>>
>>318173874
That's all you got out of Anon's post?
>>
has anyone in this thread read a lovecraft story? they arent about killing giant monsters with a sword.
>>
>>318173835
I'm not questioning that, from the little I've seen it is. But anon said "the most lovecraftian game there is", and I think something like:
>>318173165
>>318174032
and
>>318173536
would be even more lovecraftian, right?

>>318173874
I posted that and I'm male anon, he got it right.
>>
>>318171623
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
>>
>>318173212
this game is great. Really liked the soundtrack
>>
>>318174153
They see an eldritch monster and pessimistic story wich is equal to Lovecraft rite?
>>
>>318173874
Tumblr, we already know that you're all eldritch abominations, but that doesn't mean that you're in the majority here.
>>
>>318174159
Darkness Within is Lovecraft 1:1
and looking at the devs site right now they announced new game this year and it's titled Mountains of Madness
pretty fucking awesome
>>
Bloodborne. The only aspect in which I'd argue that it isn't very Lovecraftian is that in Bloodborne the player character is very capable and can pretty much kill every cosmic horror they come across and doesn't go mad at the sight of eldritch bullshit, at least not to the degree where they break down and have to be put in an asylum.
>>
>>318174635
>doesn't go mad at the sight of eldritch bullshit, at least not to the degree where they break down and have to be put in an asylum.

Even this isn't entirely true. It's why frenzy pretty much kills you. If you go up against a Winter Lantern or the Brain of Mensis without ways to counter the insanity you're dead.
>>
OP, go and play fucking Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Remember that it has multiple endings
>>
Doesn't it make some sense that you don't go insane in Bloodborne?

Can a person go insane within a dream?
>>
>>318174227
I'm loving it too so far. Thought it was too easy for the first world but the difficulty spike in world 2 solved that. It has what is probably the best procedurally generated levels I've ever played.
>>
>>318175051
I'd say Micolash is quite insane. Also Gehrman is in absolute despair because he can't be freed from it.
>>
>>318171623
I forgot about Age of Decadence, that one is pretty lovecraftian if you play as a character with high lore and learn more about the world. And you don't even get to fight cosmic horrors or anything, they're all beyond you, so it's pretty authentic in that regard. However, end game spoilers:

You actually fight 2. One of them is possessing a human body though, so it's easy to kill that. The other one is the last boss and arguably the hardest enemy in the game and it's an eldritch abomination, but they explain how you can fight it: of all the gods, this one isn't much of a warrior, he has been asleep for centuries, has been weakened, is also possessing a human body (but mutated after a long time of possession) and you have the means to fight him (probably super powered armor and a mental shield). Even with all that it's still almost impossible to kill the fucker.
>>
>Research Ward
>plip plop drip drop
>Jesus Christ make it stop
>>
>>318174153
Oh buhu,
"it's not Lovecraft if you win "
It's a video game of course you kill the monsters.
>>
The Secret World perhaps
>>
>>318174153
>Not knowing about Call of Cthulhu RP game
>Not knowing about Old Man Henderson

Seriously bro
>>
>>318175802
killing monsters is not equal to winningkilling the moon presence shouldn't be possible but that would make a bad game
>>
>>318173432
Eldritch is actually good though. It just looks like shit.
>>
>>318174227
>>318173212
Too bad the dev is a SJW kek, who just had to go all the way with the "anti-cis-white-male" agenda.
>>
>>318173827
>facts are wrong

Ok
>>
>>318171623
infra arcana
>>
>>318176134
>wrong statements are facts

ok
>>
>>318176219
you rekt the kid. but seriously bloodborne is the shit.
>>
>>318173663
>1/10th the amount of content as DaS1 and 2
>DaS2
Overpriced DLC and recycled equipment for meme builds is not good content
>>
Insight and blood treatments keep you from going insane senpai. The game starts you off slowly by facing "beasts" for a reason.
>>
>>318175051
Players, by default, are already insane.
>>
>>318176060
>killing the moon presence shouldn't be possible but that would make a bad game
But then all the BB outcomes are bleak as fuck so it's not so bad regardless
>>
>>318176330
Insight = insanity though. The more you have the lower your frenzy resist. And frenzy is your mind literally exploding.
>>
>>318174153
>they arent about killing giant monsters with a sword.
Robert E. Howard was pals with Lovecraft and had Conan kill a bunch of eldritch shit just to poke fun at him, and I'm pretty sure some of his works are considered part of the mythos
>>
what was that one game in development.

something to do about a shell shocked Great War vet. forced back into the trenches on some Lovecraftian PTSD trip.
>>
>>318173663
>size
>content
I can't even believe I'm arguing against such a plebeian
>>
>>318176981
I don't know but I know the story Reanimator had the doc go to world just to get more bodies.
>>
>>318175051
>Can a person go insane within a dream?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it happens on Lovecraft's stories too. Hell, I'm pretty sure people were going insane on dreams in Call of Cthulhu
>>
>>318171623
Quake.
>>
>>318171623
Many games but none of them have that Lovecraftian feel where you feel insignificant compared to all those Lovecraft creatures who are far superior to us. It's just tentacleheads and creatures covered with eyes.
>>
Is anything by Lovecraft actually worth reading? So much of the crap that people say is a good read usually just ends up as garbage. A ton of faggots recommend Atlas Shrugged and I found it to be boring as fuck. I liked it when it was about trains but I didn't care for any of the characters except that one guy I forget the name of. He's the one with the brother that is more beloved. He was cool.

And I hear a lot about Vonnegut too. His name is cool. I don't read much. I don't have any lightbulbs in my house so it is hard to read after a certain time.
>>
How is it that Japan manage to add the aesthetic and the feel of lovecraft so well in Bloodborne?

>>318177748
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/
They're pretty short and you can get a day done by reading them all in one sitting.
>>
>>318177748
Yes. Also most of it is short stories so it's not like you have to invest whole lot of time in trying to find something you like. I really like: Rats in the walls, Dunwich Horror, my favorite The Shadow over Innsmouth and couple of others.
>>
>>318177864
Passion
>>
>>318177748
the most well known and memey works re actually the weakest, except Shadow over Innsmouth. I'd mostly recommend that one and the Shadow out of Time, and the Kadath cycle although it is more fantasy than horror
>>
>>318177274
Took too long for someone to post that.

>>318177291
Dunno, I had that feeling on Age of Decadence, specially in the conversation during the Arch.

>>318176871
Lovecraft namedrops Cimmerians and a certain guy called Crom-ya on Shadow out of Time, and I think there are more references in other stories too.

>>318177748
I've been reading his stories the last few weeks and while it's not as "super awesome" as I was led to believe, it's still good. The ones I liked most and I'd recommend are "The Music of Erich Zann" (my favorite), "From Beyond", "The Color out of Space", "The Shadow out of Time" and "The Whisperer in Darkness".

>>318178000
>the most well known and memey works re actually the weakest
This 100%, but even then I still like them.
>>
>>318178205
what about rats in the walls and hypnos?
>>
>>318177748
Kurt Vonnegut is good reading because he writes as though he himself is actually fucking insane.
>>
>>318178342
Haven't read hypnos yet, rats is good too but I don't think it's a good "first impression" for someone who hasn't read anything by him yet. Or I could be biased since I only read it recently (last Friday actually) and I might have already developed nostalgia for stories I read last month.
>>
File: 1360374276492.png (2 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1360374276492.png
2 MB, 1280x800
>>318172852
>>318173432
Wrong
First 5 minutes
>Go to a haunted house
>Meet Yithians (big no-no for CoC)

Next 90 minutes
>Go to Innsmouth (which is stupid because if you're playing CoC you already know its "secert"
>Wander around
>Break and enter
>Talk to a guy
>Talk to a girl
>Talk to a guy
>Walk slowly through innsmouth
>Meet a Deep One (which you've already seen 3 times by this point)
>Break and Enter again

Next 40 minutes
>Go to a Hotel
>See Hotel owner talking about killing you in front of his friend
>PC "Huh. What was he talking about?"
>Get a psychic vision that the Hotel owner will kill you
>PC "I... don't... get it."
>Get a psychic vision of the Hotel owner killing people before you
>PC "What could it mean?"
>Sneak into Hotel Owner's office
>Human body Parts and blood everywhere. A head sticking out of the filing cabinet
>PC "Hmmm... this is strange"
>Buy a room and stay at the hotel
>Get a psychic vision of Hotel Owner coming to kill you
>Overly long roof top chase scene
>Sneak through 2 warehouses

And then...
>Chased by a Shoggoth
>Barley survive
>J. Edgar: "Jack. Go back and fight the Shoggoth"
>PC: "No"
>J. Edgar: "You gotta"
>PC: "OK. But give me a gun"
>>
>>318178635
To expand on my reasoning a little, when you think "I will read Lovecraft", you usually think "I will read about aliens and gods and shit" but there isn't much of that in rats, so I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.
>>
The only good ones are Darkness Within 1 & 2.

I hope those kebabs can make the At the Mountains of Madness game good, too.
>>
File: sunless_sea_PEG.jpg (376 KB, 1040x1286) Image search: [Google]
sunless_sea_PEG.jpg
376 KB, 1040x1286
Holy shit, how do you fucktards get this deep in this thread without posting this. It might be the greatest lovercraftian game in the last 10 years.
>>
>>318171623
Persona 2
>>
>>318178975
It's poo, jim.
>>
File: Dragonborn_boxart.jpg (36 KB, 238x293) Image search: [Google]
Dragonborn_boxart.jpg
36 KB, 238x293
>>318171623
>>
>>318178205
>Lovecraft namedrops Cimmerians and a certain guy called Crom-ya on Shadow out of Time, and I think there are more references in other stories too.
thank you anon, people tend to forget that Lovecraft was way more open about what goes into the mythos than the modern lovecraftan "purists", practically inviting other authors to write about the mythos the whatever way they liked, and eldritch action like Bloodborne was accepted and even liked by the man himself
>>
>>318173874
Tits or get the fuck out
>>
>>318179310
Considering you can never actually beat Hermaus Mora, it is pretty lovecraftian.
>>
>>318177748

Lovecraft's stories are extremely hit or miss.

The guy has a vivid imagination, but ironically has a very hard time coming up with a interesting story for all that imagination. I think he even knew said so himself. Some stories I liked-

Shadow over Innsmouth
The color out of space
Dunwich horror.

Nothing he writes is ever flatout bad, but it can definitely drag.
>>
>>318179485
I don't know about purism but I fucking hate people who treat it as nothing but a meme and unironically think that Cthulhu Saves the World is great.

Whole lovecraftian thing is nothing but a fucking meme these days on average.
>>
>>318179648
this, altough you never get to "beat" any Daedra lord except Jyggalag, and that's because by that point you've literally become Sheogorath
>>
>>318177748
He wrote some shit and wrote some fucking amazing stuff.

The Call of Cthulhu is actually a really good story, but I'd actually recommend The Colour out of Space, that shit legitimately creeped me out reading it. There's very little story, Lovecraft called it 'an atmospheric exercise' and it shows just how good the guy really was when in the zone. It basically recounts what happens to a small, backwoods New England farm after a small meteorite crashes near it and shit goes tits up.

Other good stuff you can read quick

From Beyond
The Picture in the House
Pickman's Model
The Rats in the Walls
>>
>>318178901
The hotel escape in that game was fucking great, as was walking around Innsmouth. Everything else reeked of Derleth shit.
>>
>>318177218

Shit. Fuck. I'm reading Lovecraft's anthology for the first time this X-mas. Did I just spoil myself massively by checking that second spoiler tag?
>>
bloodborne
demon's souls
the consuming shadow
amnesia: the dark descent
resident evil 4
eternal darkness

daz it
>>
>Lovecraft
>character has a cat named Nigger-Man

Those were the times
>>
>>318179946
protip about lovecraft, he's a pretty shit writer in terms of plot and characterization, it's all about the atmosphere, primal fear and curiosity
>>
>>318179946
No, it isn't exactly true.
>>
>>318179802
Isn't Color out of Space basically radiation?
>>
>>318179946
No, that is in the beginning of the story, it's a spoiler for the game.
>>
>>318179761
>Whole lovecraftian thing is nothing but a fucking meme these days on average.
I actually agree, but I don't think Bloodborne for example is being memey about it's influence. It's a matter of treating the subject with taste in my opinion, and there is a great difference between le uncomprehensible tentacle meme and situations where eldritch shit is being fucked up by normals and seminormals like the Conan stories or Bloodborne because they still treat it as a seriously impressive action and there is still a sense of futility as there ara always more fucked up horrors the action heroes have no hope of defeating
>>
>>318180160
no lol

it's an unknown cosmic oddity with a foul presence and long casted shadow
>>
>>318179802
Fuck yeah colour out of space was amazing
The family slowly dying/going insane was unnerving as hell and the fact that the bad health is still growing
>>
>>318179485
>people tend to forget that Lovecraft was way more open about what goes into the mythos

To an extent, but yes. I highly doubt he'd approve of the colossal fuck up of everything August Derleth caused, because he fucked it all up. He's the reason people now thing Tentacles = Lovecraftian, instead of a much more complex and philosophical undercurrent about the past, childhood, blissful ignorance and insignificance.

What it amounted to with his buddies was injokes and references than any kind of worldbuildoing or 'mythos'. Cthulhu Mythos was a term invented by August Derleth after the fact, not Lovecraft. He was NEVER worldbuilding or writing canon, other people did that.
>>
>>318179973
also the original alone in the dark, sunless sea, arguably the sixth house in morrowind main quest and the dragonborn skyrim dlc, most of point lookout, STALKER has some of the less memey elements aswell, and a bunch of others
>>
>>318178901
>>Chased by a Shoggoth
>>Barley survive
>>J. Edgar: "Jack. Go back and fight the Shoggoth"
>>PC: "No"
>>J. Edgar: "You gotta"
>>PC: "OK. But give me a gun"

>>See Hotel owner talking about killing you in front of his friend
>>PC "Huh. What was he talking about?"
>>Get a psychic vision that the Hotel owner will kill you
>>PC "I... don't... get it."
>>Get a psychic vision of the Hotel owner killing people before you
>>PC "What could it mean?"
>>Sneak into Hotel Owner's office
>>Human body Parts and blood everywhere. A head sticking out of the filing cabinet
>>PC "Hmmm... this is strange"
>>Buy a room and stay at the hotel

Wasn't that game made by Bethesda?
>>
File: The%20Consuming%20Shadow.png (120 KB, 480x374) Image search: [Google]
The%20Consuming%20Shadow.png
120 KB, 480x374
>>318171623
>>
>>318171623
You posted this knowing people would respond with bloodborne, so here's your response.
>>
>>318180160
Nope, you never find out what happened. It's what Nahum Gardener said 'It's something from where things aren't as they are here', and that pure alien otherness just messed up our surroundings. It acts like 'corruption' but at the end of the day, we never find out if it was intentional of the Colour, a mistake, a by-product or what.
>>
>>318179761
I don't even know why the fuck a cult would want to resurrect Cthulhu if he is going to royally fuck the world. When the story state that Cthulhu was disable by ramming a boat to it, there isn't much to say that a normie couldn't banish Cthulhu. I really love how even the GHOSTBUSTER could beat something like Cthulhu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGdwooX4WiU
>>
>>318180502
Derleth was atrocious, adding nodens and putting a dichotomy of good and evil in the mythos
>>
Seriously though, I recommend this http://store.steampowered.com/app/298930/ at the current price.

>>318180618
Published. It was developed by Headfirst Productions.
>>
>>318180160
it's an alien vampire color, pretty original monster actually

>>318179485
>>318180251
The thing is, he would accept and might even like it, specially since the point is that everything is vague and mankind doesn't know much but he wouldn't write anything like that himself and it's kinda misleading to treat those stories as lovecraftian. Plus, while I haven't read much Conan outside of a few comics, from what I remember he usually finds some artifact to seal a monster, or interrupts the ritual before the summoning, or fights against weak monsters, or just talks with an alien, or something like that. He doesn't fight gods directly and even flees from wizards sometimes.
>>
>>318180251
I agree that lovecraft is becoming memetized too, but bloodborne is interesting because it seems to rely on the player being familiar with lovecraft to be curious or horrified about what's going on in yharnam

it doesn't really make an effort to build great ones up to be these massive, incomprehensible entities who want to squash humanity like bugs or anything

the only really terrifying cosmic horror in bloodborne is when you first enter yahar'gul and you see the massive amydalans glued to buildings like giant space cockroaches who don't care about whether you're there or not

in my first playthrough I was hype as fuck because I thought they would be considered insects amongst great ones but it turns out they're sort of great ones themselves and among the biggest we've seen
>>
Dota 2 drove me insane does that count?
>>
>>318180617
>the sixth house in morrowind

Plain fucking creepy. I wouldn't say Lovecraftian, but it certainly verges on weird fiction territory. Plus the whole fact of Dagoth Ur shouldn't even exist, because he's dreaming himself back into reality.
>>
At the Mountains of Madness is really good
>>
S U N L E S S S E A

Seriously. It's an OC world/lore I'm pretty sure but the aesthetic of it all and the setting (pitch black underground ocean), feel very similar to Lovecrafts ethos.
>>
>>318178901
me and my friends had a pretty good laugh at the last line, mostly because your character does a huge 180 in terms of voice direction halfway through it.
https://youtu.be/BNfbHEYgCkg?t=75
about 1:15 - 1:30 in that video.
>>
>>318180765
It was just one weak manifestation of him, not real Cthulhu in all his glory. That nigga is too busy looking at people's dreams.
>>
>>318173209
You haven't played Eternal Darkness then.
>>
>>318180160
No, it's a color. An evil, malicious color from some dimension other than our own that poisons reality simply by existing, but it's just a color.
>>
>>318180765
It's an insane apocalyptic cult
Also I doubt what was actually cthulhu, it was more of visage since it was a gaseous form and the stars were not right.
Plus we can't take the word of the man seriously since he probably went insane too but didn't know it or was hallucinating like his comrades
>>
File: memecraft.jpg (946 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
memecraft.jpg
946 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>318180765
>boat kills Cthulhu meme

Son, try to understand the whole cosmic undercurrent of that story. Clearly, the stars weren't right. That whole story was a cosmic brainfart where something shifted in the heavens and this thing got thrown to surface just to sink back down. If the stars were actually right, nothing would have mattered. The story is basically saying you can't even count of the movements of planets and stars in any fashion.

The whole story, and Cthulhu itself, are one big metaphor for saying 'Everything you think you know about the world and universe and life is completely wrong'
>>
>>318178901
>>Meet a Deep One (which you've already seen 3 times by this point)
Whatchu talking about. You don't see any eldritch stuff until partway through the refinery, other than the Yith you see for like 2 seconds in the intro (and you get no clue to what it is until the ending)
>>
>>318181147
Not really Lovecraftian, all races are easily comprehensible to humans, their looks, symmetries, powers etc.
>>
>>318180502
yes man, my point is that some obviously inspired by lovecraft products can't be dissmissed because they are action rather than horror, but I still agree that they should be judged by their quality and closeness to the original themes, thus the shit can be dismissed as simply bad media that only relays on tentacle memes while more properly inspired media that treats itself more seriously can be considered proper lovecraftian regardless of its format and setting, or if it is either horror or action oriented.
>>
>>318180160
I would relate it closely to the Greeks called "miasma"
>>
>>318181405
>he doesn't know about the xelnaga
>>
>>318181491
I do and what about them?
>>
>>318180780
Derleth fucked up everything forever. I'm glad someone else hates him like I do.

>b-but he kept Lovecraft in print!

Barely. If he had relented and allowed publishers to print a three volume series IN THE DEPRESSION of his stories and poems, not the single giant mammoth collection Derleth wanted, more people would have been reading Lovecraft much quicker and he would have gotten big early. But no, Derleth worked with material he had no legal right working with (Robert Barlowe and HPL's aunt Annie Gamwell had the rights) and printed some shitty little self-published books and everyone hails them are heroes.

Also Derleth couldn't write as story for shit. Fuck that guy.
>>
>>318181147
>>318181491
Different anon. Making the Queen the Blade suddenly the Xelnaga is one of the most bull shitty thing that ever happen.
>>
>>318181147
>>318181405
>space squid with mind control

there is definitely an influence
>>
>>318180765
> if he is going to royally fuck the world
For humans not fishmen, and even then, his followers might not necessarily know that (see in Shadow Over Innsmouth where the sailor guy convinced everyone to abandon Christianity to worship Cthulhu by not telling them the details, just because he wanted more money. Also remember that everything human cults say about him is unreliable as we weren't there, so the cults saying his religion will bring evil to mankind or something like that is not reliable).

>there isn't much to say that a normie couldn't banish Cthulhu
Physically he isn't that impressive, yes (even then he was regenerating). Psychically though, just by existing while sleeping, and not doing much else, Cthulhu is "the source of constant anxiety for mankind at a subconscious level" (taken from wikipedia). When he was just thinking about awakening, he caused madness worldwide. The terror of Cthulhu is that this powerful psychic entity that is worshiped as God by various human cults and also by the deep ones, who is older than life on earth, and reality seems to become weird near him, is actually just an alien from an alien race like any other, and is actually a priest himself for something much greater that we don't know anything about.
>>
>>318180780
Lovecraft introduced Nodens, actually.
>>
>>318182107

Not really, Lovecraftian aliens are hard to comprehend for humans, the angles of their physique, symmetries, everything about them doesn't make sense to a human mind, making people question their sanity and everything they have learnt about mathematics, life, anything. That's why they go insane just from seeing that creature for a second or two. Aliens in SC2 are just aliens, normal forms and nothing insanity-inducing in them. Nobody went mad from seeing Duran or Amon. Space Aliens with mindcontrol doesn't make it Lovecraftian.
>>
File: Mass-Effect-Reapers.jpg (90 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Mass-Effect-Reapers.jpg
90 KB, 1024x576
>>318182107
>space squid with mi... indocrination
>>
>>318179164
Why, I'll admit it's a bunch of reading but dat atmosphere
>>
>>318181147
He said good games, familia.
>>
File: EdgePhotogrammetryShot.jpg (338 KB, 1816x1022) Image search: [Google]
EdgePhotogrammetryShot.jpg
338 KB, 1816x1022
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
>>
>>318182128
What the human cults actually say is that Cthulhu's going to come up and basically remove law, civilization, morality and sanity - it's going to be the ultimate freedom from everything, where we'll shout and kill and revel in joy and the Old Ones will teach us new ways to do so. Think those Hell scenes from Event Horizon on a global scale. Then again, they might teach by example, if you know what I mean.

And here's the thing about that whole Call story - that wasn't the actual end of the world. It was, like all of Lovecraft, a minute glimpse into what could and will eventually happen. The horror is this cosmic brainfart that threw R'lyeh up to the surface for a month and eventually sunk it drove people across the entire planet insane, this thing got out for a few minutes and you think it was HUMANITY that sunk it back down? Of course not, we just rammed a boat into it while it was waking up, or however that thing works. That wasn't an actual case of the stars being right, when they're right, you'll know.
>>
>>318171623

yea no lovecraft games, only references and poor references at that

ever since bloodborne had strange aye lmaos the words lovecraft and lovecraftian have become memes

most of the turds spouting this shit have never read a book let alone lovecraft
>>
>>318182357
It should be noted that not a lot of people actually go insane in Lovecraft. There's PLENTY of fainting, lots of running away and screaming, but full out insanity is pretty rare. In most cases it's people having to live with horrible knowledge. The professor in Call of Cthulhu gets shanked or poisoned on the waterfront because he knew too much about the cult, but wasn't insane.
>>
A few of the lesser known games:

Necronomicon (2001, Cryo Interactive)
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened (2007, From the makers of all the recent Holmes games)
Fiend (Frictional Games)
>>
Well, the thread is great, but while most games here have heavy lovecraftian setting, you are still the Vidya protagonist, that has "able to kill gods, demons and divine beings" as a basic atribute.

So spoiler alert:

Is there any game in which the main evil / lovecraftian stuff really is implacable and unstopable?
>>
>>318182912
Actually most of the time they go insane. Profesor in Cthulhu, that guy from dunwhich horror IIRC are exceptions, most of them actually do go insane.
>>
>>318179761
I liked CSTW, but mainly because of the music. It would have been far better with an original setting, they had some good ideas
>>
>>318178901
And the best thing about that is, that the whole game is based on murderhobo's interpretation of Escape from Innsmounth Rpg tabletop game.
>>
>>318171623
Dark Corners of the Earth is good for the first half before they start handing you guns. It's still fun then, but it kinda kills the mood.
Eternal Darkness has the best sanity system of anything out there.
Infra Arcana's damn good and the dev is from /rlg/.
Bloodborne has great art direction.
The Chzo Mythos games vary from mediocre to pretty damn good.
>>
>>318182912

the sensibilities of people during the time when those stories were written were much weaker and not so desensitized as ours

the term alien back had much more power because of the strangeness of the unknown was more intense for them

people were sill very embroiled in mysticism and religion and their reality was just alien to ours today

it's easy to see such infantile minds going insane from just seeing something strange
>>
>>318183018
You should look for games that don't actually contain fighting gameplay!

Full list of Lovecraftian adventure games:

Prisoner of Ice
Shadow of the Comet
Necronomicon: The Dawning of Darkness
Darkness Within 1&2
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
>>
Does Pathologic count? At the very least, the Polyhedron is an experience.
>>
>>318182704
I mean that everyone is wasting their time worshiping this "God" that is actually just a priest himself and might not even do all that they predict him to. Specially since he and his followers were just yet another alien race in that old war of the elder things, the flying polyps, the great race of yith, etc. (as far as I remember at least)

>>318183018
As I said, the closest I've played is
>>318175337
towards the end game. But most of the game is post apocalyptic roman politics and not horror though.
>>
File: 1442014833164.jpg (18 KB, 720x539) Image search: [Google]
1442014833164.jpg
18 KB, 720x539
>People think the tentacles mean Lovecraft and not incomprehensible angles and overwhelming knowledge
>>
>>318183362
I would say that if you take a person a century or 2 ago and bring him or her here, he might lose her mind all the stuff he would normally not see in his timeline.
>>
dunwich borers in fallout 4 is a reference
>>
The Consuming Shadow by Yahtzee is pretty good.

Gameplay and visuals tend to be a bit rough like all of his games, but I have fun playing it.
>>
>>318183543
blame call of ctulu, aka ancient god so powerful he gets fucked by a boat
>>
>>318183697
He gets better like ten seconds later and goes back to sleep because the stars ain't right.
>>
File: What the fuck is that.jpg (370 KB, 496x700) Image search: [Google]
What the fuck is that.jpg
370 KB, 496x700
>>318177748
I have the anthology pic related is based on. Good shit.

Also
>Late Fall/Winter
>House is a bit cold
>Put on a sweater
>Still a little cold
>Almost dead silent, aside from a fan to keep myself a little on the cold side and cars going by outside, but it's better at night anyway
>Read At the Mountains of Madness
>Immersed as shit

Little things can go a long way in immersing yourself in a setting. During the summer I'll turn off or reduce the A/C when I'm playing something where I think oppressive heat might enhance the experience.
>>
>>318177748
Shadow Out of Time
The Whisperer in Darkness
The Carter/Kaddath cycle is pretty epic, but a lot of reading altogether (in rough order):

>Pickman's Model
>The White Ship
>Celephaïs
>The Cats of Ulthar
>The Other Gods
>The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
>The Statement of Randolph Carter
>The Unnamable
>The Silver Key
>Through the Gates of the Silver Key
>Out of the Aeons
>>
>>318183470
>The Awakened

Huh, apparently I already got it? I guess I must have bought most of Frogware's Sherlock Holmes games back when they were on sale years ago.
>>
File: 1447003668818.jpg (878 KB, 1573x1100) Image search: [Google]
1447003668818.jpg
878 KB, 1573x1100
>>318183493
The supernatural plague and the town itself are kinda lovecraftian
>>
>>318183493
The Bachelor does feel a lot like a lovecraft protagonist, and the sand plague is often framed as an unstoppable, immaterial force. I'd say it counts, but what the fuck do I know.
>>
>>318183543
I'm the guy who started reading in the last few weeks and what surprised me the most was the lack of tentacles. Weirder still is that if you google search some creatures/gods that are not even described as having tentacles, they will have it in fan art.

We need that picture "/v/ discusses games, /v/ discusses horror literature"
>>
>>318178901
Oh fuck off, It's a really good game. With Lovecraftian horror games you can hardly be picky.
>>
>>318180664
Well Yatzee does have a hard on for lovecraft you often see it in his videos
>>
>>318183823
>playing Cryostasis with the heater off
Good times. Game runs like shit, but it's definitely a unique experience at the very least.
>>
>>318183802

i imagine when the star are aligned everyone will just go mad, people going full happening killing themselves while the screams of the nazgul pierce everyone's souls to the core
>>
>>318184065
People who haven't read Lovecraft think it's all just Cthulhu shit
People who haven't played Bloodborne think it's all just Cthulhu shit

go figure
>>
>>318178901
Did you even fucking play the game, seriously. You have no memory about Yithians until the end of the game, where you go fucking insane because of remembering it. How is that a no-no? The PC doesn't even know what or who they are.
>>
i have nightmares about 747 sized airplanes crashing from the view of my house

I don't know why, it just makes me freak out

I wonder if being driven insane has more to do with individual fears being exaggerated till you go into physical shock
>>
>lovecraftian

The word of choice for people who don't know any horror authors beyond babby's first.
>>
>>318183493
If I had to pick one game to describe as Lovecraftian, it'd be Pathologic. Nothing else quite captures the feel of "There's shit I couldn't even hope to understand at work here, nothing makes sense, I feel like I'm going nuts, I can barely even try to stop this" quite as well.
>>
>>318184432
It's a genre of horror people describe as Lovecraftian, because when you say Lovecraftian horror, it's very obvious what you actually mean. Stop being such a prancing lala.
>>
>>318171623
Darkest Dungeon, on sale, gg game
>>
>>318184472
>There's shit I couldn't even hope to understand at work her

Extending, from what I've heard, to the gameplay and understanding what is it you have to do.
>>
>>318184597
Well, yes, but it's all strange and cryptic as hell and even by the end it's still what-the-fuck.
>>
>>318184597
I'd say the gameplay is generally pretty straightforward, once you've gotten used to how the town's economy operates. The Void's gameplay appears infinitely more alien to me, but then again it's been years since I last tried it.
>>
File: insanity.jpg (29 KB, 430x323) Image search: [Google]
insanity.jpg
29 KB, 430x323
a real horror insanity based game wouldn't be winnable

you would go insane trying
>>
File: magrunner_4.jpg (421 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
magrunner_4.jpg
421 KB, 1920x1080
magrunner: dark pulse
>>
>>318173663
>quantity>quality
You must love Bethesda games
>>
the botchling quest from the witcher 3 freaked me out a bit

sad too
>>
177 posts and only one mentioning Amnesia the Dark Descent. That game is really Lovecraftian too.
>>
>>318185145
That game looks weird. A puzzle FPS with Lovecraftian monsters? WTF?
>>
File: 1448119842453-4.jpg (457 KB, 1000x660) Image search: [Google]
1448119842453-4.jpg
457 KB, 1000x660
>>318184597
The gameplay is simple, but you get things like witch hunts on the first day that lower your reputation in the town if you try to save the women who are being lynched
The game is full of steppe myths and the more stuff you learn the more scary the town and its inhabitants seem
>>
Its amazing how little movies there are about Lovecraft books
>>
There's someone that posted a few times on /agdg/ that's making a Lovecraft-inspired game, looks promising
http://coldseepgame.tumblr.com/
>>
>>318185837
>cold seep
>>
File: monster and hellboy.png (556 KB, 1020x554) Image search: [Google]
monster and hellboy.png
556 KB, 1020x554
>>318185601
>Its amazing how little movies there are about Lovecraft books
But there was, like the the Re-Animator. It wasn't main stream enough to get more movies out. Unless you're a nerd before the internet explosion, you wouldn't heard of Lovecraft. Nowadays, do you expect movies makers to make a Lovecraft movie without fucking it up?
>>
>>318185837
>Can see your body
10/10 game already
>>
>>318174878
I didn't even think about that, you're completely right. I guess the difference then is that in Lovecraft's fiction, a lot of horrifying shit will drive you mad, while in Bloodborne, only a select few monsters will, and even then sometimes only if they hit you with certain attacks.
>>
>>318185974
Pretty sure 90% of people who watched Re-Animator did know fuck all about Lovecraft
>>
File: 1393441926605.jpg (22 KB, 499x430) Image search: [Google]
1393441926605.jpg
22 KB, 499x430
>tfw been reading lovecraft since I was like 9 and actually enjoyed all of it
>seemingly an explosion of people going on about le cthulhu and everything else in the past few years

It's not as bad as zombies, but now I understand the mentality of people who go "I liked it before it was cool." It's like when people bandwagon sports teams.
>>
>>318185193
>Bethesda
>quantity

Idontthinksotim.jpeg
>>
>>318178205
>"The Music of Erich Zann"
Patrician taste, by far my favorite Lovecraft story. Haters gonna hate but it feels a lot like Poe
>>
>>318186154
Yeah, they see it as some mad scientist and later, only furries knows it because of some shitty ass movie maker flash.
>>
>>318186175
Its mostly about cthulhu tentacles xD though. They know nothing beyond that.
>>
>>318185974
Reanimator the movie is complete trash. Dagon by the same director is better, but still trash. There are no good high-budget Lovecraftian movies, and there won't be, now that the fat mexican faggot has bungled up his ATMOM adaptation.
>>
>implying most people here have actually read any Lovecraft stories
>>
>>318185348
ayy wtf girl amiright ayyy loll like WTF!!!
fuckface
>>
>>318186375
Have you seen In the Mouth of Madness? It's pretty good.
>>
>>318186175
This is what happens when it get internet famous. They try to make it cool because only they know about it and it's different! Imagine how I feel about JoJo Bizarre Adventure after tumblr got hold of it.
>>
>>318186375
Wasn't there a silent film of Call of Cthulhu? Was it good?
>>
>>318185974
there's also the resurrected, pretty good.
>>
>>318186469
>90s trash
>doesn't have lovecraft in the credits
>>
>>318185601
It's hard to do correctly. Most books are people exchanging letters, or writing diaries or things like that that don't make for good movies. There were a few tries though, and even some of "the color out of space" which to me is impossible to show in a movie, those guys for example tried, but it's obviously a regular color:
https://vimeo.com/70666054

About your pic, the Hellboy comics are fantastic and do have a lot of lovecraftian elements but people overplay the lovecraftian aspect of it, it's too much based on Christianity for that. When you know everything about the big eldritch tentacled thing and it's pretty much a dragon made by an evil angel, it kinda loses the impact.
>>
>>318186709
He didn't have any hand in the source material, it was heavily inspired by him, though. They also don't thank Steven King despite the fact that a major character in the movie is largely based on him.
>>
>>318186927
>https://vimeo.com/70666054
What is that movie? Is it even a real movie? How come Kristen Stewart's in there?
>>
>>318187513
dunno, saw it on leddit, saw a black and white one too that is better for color out of space but can't find it now
>>
>>318184432
Weird Fiction is the genre, Cosmic Horror is the Sub-genre, Lovecraftian specifies particular themes
>>
>ctrl+f "Charles" "Dexter" "Ward"
>nothing

Really? It's not much as far as cosmic horror goes but I thought it was a really engaging tale. The ending hit me in the feels pretty hard too.
>>
>>318185527
>>318184742
>>318184946
Is it good? Games where you have no idea what's going on and everything is just cryptic and 2deep aren't very exciting unless you understand to some degree what's actually happening. So, is it just insane bullcrap or is it actually fun?
>>
Does anyone remember the pre bloodborne release threads where every single one this one guy would rage about no one knowing true Lovecraft and try to shove books down everybodys throats
>>
>>318187602
Lel, actually it appears to be a collage of footage ripped from different movies, including Twilight.
>>
>>318175835

The fact that I keep seeing Bloodborne faggots posting stupid shit, and this gets passed up, shows gaming is dead.

The Secret World has its issues, but fuck me christ if it isn't a superior game to Bloodborne in many, many fucking ways.
>>
File: 1446728573273.png (2 MB, 1900x2091) Image search: [Google]
1446728573273.png
2 MB, 1900x2091
>>318187772
It's good. The threads were really fun, too.
>>
>>318187772
The game manages to tell you the whole nature of the town without any dialogue line telling you directly
It's impossible to miss and you understand it instantly
>>
>>318185601
It's not easy since his stories aren't about story and characters, they're about atmosphere and Hollywood don't like that. It's hard to market. I'm kind of glad Mountains of Madness didn't get made now because there were so many unnecessary and bizarre changes to the story it barely resembled it.

The HPLHS made a fantastic 45 Call of Cthulhu movie, but fucked up immensely with Whisperer in Darkness (biplanes shooting down Mi-Go for fuck's sake). Die Farbe, the German Colour out of Space, is supposed to be good, too.

All of Stuart Gordon is basically garbage.
>>
>>318186639
Yep, it's actually pretty good.

Stay the fuck away from Whisperer in Darkness, though, fucking awful shit.
>>
>>318187727
The movie adaptation, The Resurrected, is good shit, too. Love that movie.
>>
Looks like I found the perfect lovecraftian movie lads
>>
>>318185089
>a real horror insanity based game wouldn't be winnable
so basically nethack
>>
>>318188130
>I'm kind of glad Mountains of Madness didn't get made now because there were so many unnecessary and bizarre changes to the story it barely resembled it.

I don't know what specific changes were planned for it, but I was looking forward to it. Mainly because I think mountains of madness has a lot of good ideas but it's kind of a boring story, so if you replace the characters and story but keep the general gist of it you could make something better IMO.
>>
>>318188470
You hear that sound?

That's Lovecraft's skeleton spinning in his grave at 9000rpm so hard it's burrowing through the Earth.
>>
>>318187986
>shitty indie trash is better than GOTY 2015 because it's all my toaster can run

Never ever, pcúck
>>
>>318188774
ooh, spooky...
>>
>>318179563
Wow anon, that's rude.
The formal way to say it nowadays is
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
File: Serenity.png (426 KB, 840x525) Image search: [Google]
Serenity.png
426 KB, 840x525
E.Y.E had some of that "Forbidden knowledge" stuff in the form of the Gate powers, backstory also was interesting
>>
>>318188774
Nope, pretty sure that is the sound of my 4 dimensional boner
>>
>>318172753
Definitely. I love the idea of a fantasy setting with heavy Lovecraftian elements.
>>
>>318188765
I actually happened to find a leaked version of the script, lent it someone and they told me it was fucked. It was basically The Thing with lots of Things and then Cthulhu shows up at the end because why not.

It's a very ponderous story, it's all about deep time and the very ancient past, incomprehensible lengths of ages before time we knew existed on the fucking planet. There's a nice adventure aspect to the story, but the rest is very ponderous.
>>
>>318173481
Even if you do go around killing monsters, the ultimate fact is that you are being manipulated by greater forces, which fits very well with the Lovecraftian themes.
>>
>>318174493
>Mountain of Madness

What will you do when the albino penguins come out of the oddly shaped buildings?
>>
>>318176060
You only kill the Moon Presence because it lets you, so that you can be its offspring.
>>
>>318173209
>>318173209
I hate Frenzy so much but I respect its inclusion based on the lore albeit it should take less of your health than it does and should have at least some faint description somewhere instead of just showing up. I thought it built up based on stamina use at first due to my understanding of what frenzy meant.
>>
>>318189297
and the Nightmare system is actually pretty good system for DLCs since it doesnt have to make any sense level design wise
>>
>>318188902
Oh, my bad, it's been awhile.
>>318173874
LONDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
>>
>>318188794

>Implying Fallout 4 can't be run on a window 98

Fallout 4's requirements aren't even an issue. It's just a shitty as fuck game that relies on people in the community to make it run better.

also The Secret World isn't an indie game you dumb shit.
>>
File: 1448731688508.jpg (183 KB, 1260x1024) Image search: [Google]
1448731688508.jpg
183 KB, 1260x1024
fuck lovecraft
>>
>>318189564
pic related
>>
>>318171623
That's actually one of the better depictions of Cthulhu that I've seen imo

Most of them make him look boring or bad-looking. That actually makes him look impressive and terrifying.
>>
>>318189785
Fuck off Nigger-man
>>
>>318189918
I chortled.
>>
>>318189880
The weird thing about depictions of Cthulhu is they always make him look like huge muscled god monster, but if you know, actually read the story, he's described as 'corpulent', aka, fat as shit. He's a huge blubbery flabby horrible pile of alien nastiness.
>>
>>318189918
>yfw Niggerman was based off his childhood pet
>named Nigger

The 1890s were a giggle and a half.
>>
File: 159.jpg (211 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
159.jpg
211 KB, 1920x1080
>>318171623
Shadows of evil
>>
File: Cthulhu_sketch_by_Lovecraft.jpg (119 KB, 568x702) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu_sketch_by_Lovecraft.jpg
119 KB, 568x702
>>318189880
It's good but it's too /fit/ compared to the official sketch (pic related), and I don't like it when he literally has an entire octopus for a head. He is a psychic horror, physically he is beaten by a boat. I usually imagine his body like Kraid from metroid.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 450x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 450x430
>>318190136
>>
>>318190136
I like to call my cat at home various funny swear-names, including nigger and jew. He doesn't really have a permanent name - one day I might call him Hansel, another day - Nignog.
>>
>>318188090
Well, that doesn't sound that bad. I'm not into just trippy games, I want some form of story and mystery in horror, so I might pick it up.
>>
File: 9919941.png (2 MB, 1600x899) Image search: [Google]
9919941.png
2 MB, 1600x899
>Reinstall The Secret World
>Remember how awful the combat is
>>
>>318190302

>He is a psychic horror, physically he is beaten by a boat.

Poor guy's basically Tentaclezilla in modern depictions.
>>
The consuming shadow is good if you don't mind shit graphics and rouge-likes
>>
>>318190302
People take the descriptions simultaneously literally and they completely ignore it. He's described as having an octopus, squid and cuttlefish head throughout the story. It's a big weird head with tendrils ontop of an obese monster body. I hate the hypermuscled bodybuilder Cthulhus.

Then people start adding tales and crab claws and shit, too.
>>
>>318190302
Hmm, if I look closely to that sketch, he really doesn't look like an octopus at all.

How exactly is he beaten by a boat?
>>
>>318190418
I have a black cat who me and my siblings call nigger so often that he answers to it
>>
>>318190581
>How exactly is he beaten by a boat?

The stars weren't right. The whole idea is you can't even count on the laws cosmic rotation and shit to work the way you expect, apparently the stars can shudder and R'lyeh gets thrown up for a month and then falls back down. It can happen at any damn time and there's never any warning.
>>
>>318190581
The boat rams him.
But keep in mind artists around the entire fucking planet started going insane once Cthulhu turned around just to hit the snooze button one more time.
He's pretty badass despite losing to a boat.
>>
>>318176129
Source?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 74

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.