[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
22 fps in Fallout on minimum. Christmas around the corner Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: comp.jpg (103 KB, 758x621) Image search: [Google]
comp.jpg
103 KB, 758x621
22 fps in Fallout on minimum.
Christmas around the corner
Is upgrading graphics card enough or will the shit-tier cpu bottleneck it?
>>
>>318163782
your CPU is fine. Next to no modern game relies on a processor. Yours is more than enough.

FO4 (assuming that's what you're talking about) is just poorly optimized and buggy POS, that lags even on hi-end cards.
>>
>>318164335
I can also OC it if needed. I bought a new fan for it not long ago just for this possibility.

Also the temps are worrying. I bought new fans, new case for better air flow and everything yet the temps are still around 30-40 when idle. I suspect the graphics card seeing all the memes about 4xx series being a burning shyte.
>>
>>318164708
Your temps are totally normal. I'd be worried if the idle temps are over 50 at all times, and over 80 when under heavy load. Keep in mind that modern components are designed to withstand up to 100*C or more, Nvidia & Intel being more resistant to heat than AMD usually.

If you're seriously worried about your PC's temperatures, clean up all the collected dust and hair from inside the case, and apply new thermal-paste between CPU and the cooler. You can also do this to the GPU.
>>
>>318163782
That CPU isn't worth keeping around. It's time to update the whole toaster.
>>
>>318165898
only the GPU is 50 idle 80 on heavy
cpu is fine since I changed the cooler
>>
>>318166138
idk man, shelling 200€+ for a new cpu when it's not necessary as anon said...
>>
File: Screenshot_5.png (38 KB, 817x474) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_5.png
38 KB, 817x474
What should I upgrade on cyber monday. this computer is a work in progress. 16gb of ram is like 60$ on amazon atm so i'm probably gonna grab that. was thinking about trying out a AMD motherboard and 8350 for a $250 combo.
>>
>>318166930
still not that bad.
You could probably help the temps quite a bit by adjusting up the rate the GPU speeds up its fans when temperatures rise, using the MSI Afterburner program.

The already stated complete dusting + re-pasting the card would be the final option, and probably quite effective as well.

That being said, DX12 cards are right around the corner. I'd say wait for them to come out, see how they're received, and grab one of the higher mid-tier cards when available. Should last you another 5-6 years.

>>318167109
your CPU is fine. Period.
I got a buddy with same CPU + GTX 560 (non-Ti), and he's still rocking everything at 1080p, med-high setting combos usually in latest titles.
>>
File: fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-1080-u.png (30 KB, 744x656) Image search: [Google]
fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-1080-u.png
30 KB, 744x656
>>318167109
It depends on what gpu you get. You will lose a ton of frames if you get a 970+ though
>>
>>318164335
Don't Fucking comfort him into keeping his 470. I have a 670 and it's already aging.
>>
>>318168030
I have 560ti, and it's fucking fine. I've seen no reason to upgrade just yet.

You kiddos are doing something very wrong if a newer + higher tier card's not enough.
>>
>>318168115
I have a fx 8120 with a 560ti and I couldn't even get FO4 to give me settings. Played on low everything at sub 30fps.
>>
>>318168367
FO4 is already confirmed to be buggy AND poorly optimized piece of shit release. Nothing new, since it's fucking Bethesda.
>>
>>318168030
>>318168115

reading comprehension anons
Were not debating gpu, I already know that has to change. Thinking about 970, my only concern is if my cpu won't bottleneck and if my MOBO is compatible. Have 650W power supply so that is ok.

Only wondering what should I think about when upgrading graphics card.
CPU should be fine then. If it isn't I will OC it, then buy a new if I fuck up.
Power supply is fine.

Anything else I should look out for?
(Fo4 is unplayable for me right now, only have a 1080p 60hz monitor. When fucking Dota2 starts going 30-40 fps you know its time for an upgrade)
>>
>>318168367
well the 470 is actually a great card for its age. If you dont mind the burning and noise when at high load, it can run even the newest games on low-medium and around 40 fps.

The only reason I'm upgrading is FO4 and other new games that I want to play on ultra with 60fps. Maybe even buy a 144 HZ monitor later on
>>
>>318168540
CPU bottlenecking is almost a fucking myth these days. If you have anything newer than the now-ancient Core2Quad CPUs, it won't slow your system down, at least not significantly enough to cause major issues in gayming.

All in all, you're still perfectly safe and ready for the remaining years of this decade, as long as you upgrade your GPU soon-ish.

In case you feel like that the CPU isn't cutting it any more, you could just look up the matching i7 CPU variant for your build.
>>
>>318169147
See
>>318167989
>>
I have the same cpu. I'd say it's showing its age. Current cpus run 2x faster.
>>
File: speccy.png (31 KB, 660x527) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
31 KB, 660x527
I'm looking to upgrade after new years.

Got my eye on the AMD FX6300, so I should get me an GA-970A-DS3P as well.

Will this be enough or do I really need a new graphisc card?

Also, the cpu temp is a reading error
>>
>>318164708

your temperature is normal for a 1st gen i5/7

my i7 930 runs at 48c idle, while my 6700k runs at just barely above room temp

>>318167857

A SSD is your most cost-efficient upgrade

>>318167109

he could always grab a used 1st gen i7 for like $50 for a 30% performance boost
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.