[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I recently tried to play Pillars, BG 2 and Morrowind and found
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: yaaaawn.jpg (700 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
yaaaawn.jpg
700 KB, 1920x1080
So I recently tried to play Pillars, BG 2 and Morrowind and found that I just got bored and had to stop playing after an hour or so. Yet all of these games are considered masterpieces? After 5 minutes of hitting a mudcrab and endless WORDS about completely uninsteresting lore in Pillars im just left wondering when the game is supposed to hook me in and get fun. Am I jaded /v/?
>>
BG2 is the only one of those that is a masterpiece. And you're probably jaded.
>>
>>318157313

Go back to playing console RPGs.
>>
>Pillars
>Masterpiece
Lmao, pal
>>
>>318157313
>Am I jaded
No, you're 12.
>>
File: 1367349166647.jpg (40 KB, 461x600) Image search: [Google]
1367349166647.jpg
40 KB, 461x600
>>318157313
>Morrowind a master piece
>>
>>318157313
There noy for you. Many enjoy them, many don't.
I spent 50h on Morrowind and Pillars, not gonna play anymore than that.
Stick to what you like, try to occasionally broaden your horizons.
>>
Pillars of Eternity is probably the worst Infinity Engine type game there is
>>
>>318157313
>jaded
More like casual.
You need to have to have the patience to read the text and slowly get yourself into the world.
There isn't any awesome button or instant gratification
>>
>>318157313
This anon >>318157659 is probably right. Pillars was specifically made for people that like old school infinity engine rpgs like baldur's gate. It was the promise of their kickstarter and how the marketed it. They only reason you wouldn't know if it was your type of game before you even bought it is if you are too young to know what infinity engine games are like.
>>
>>318157782
This is exactly what people who haven't played Infinity Engine games say while placing Baldur's Gate and Icewind tale in their WRPG tier lists
>>
>>318157313
Full disclosure, I am an 18 year old that was too young to play any of these games when they came out.
I've played morrowind for about 100 hours, I can see why people enjoyed it when it came out but it just doesn't appeal to me, the combat is pretty much just clicking, and although there are huge choices in what weapons to use, I feel like I have to throw all my eggs into one weapon's basket just to consistently kill things with it. The quests are fun, but there is a lot of travelling for a small amount of reward, realistic but a bit boring often. Maybe I'm playing it wrong but I feel like morrowind is a little off the mark for me.

BG2 is fantastic though, really enjoying the mix of real time and sort of pseudo turn based combat. Prety damn good.
>>
Maybe you just have fucking great taste.
Play Fallout, Torment and Jagged Alliance 2 to confirm.
>>
>>318157313
Dude, play fallout 2. It's like Baldurs gate, but much more simple combat and world. If you don't enjoy that then maybe you just don't like CRPGs
>>
>>318157313
Pillars is considered a good game but not a masterpiece. Morrowind is considered a masterpiece by some but it's overrated. It's a classic example of how an RPG should be done though, not saying it doesn't have its flaws.
>>
>>318158154
Morrowind has a lot of fucking flaws, but if it was remastered with skyrim graphics most people nowadays would be saying it was amazing.
>>
>>318158146
>simpler is better
Fucking casuals these days
>>
>>318158237
No, they'd be saying "buh wut be al de werds" and "hurr where are the fast travel"
>>
>>318158154
>It's a classic example of how an RPG should be done though
With gazillions of useless, generic NPCs and no real choices?
>>
>>318158332
>no real choices
>>
>>318157313
Neo /v/, everyone
>>
>>318158252
He literally said that BG2 and morrowind bored him, fallout 2 has a lot more action and has combat that is simpler and easier to understand than BG2 as it's turn based. If you've played them you know that simpler doesn't mean worse. Fallout 2 is great.

simpler =/= worse.
>>
isometric RPGs are intolerable, sorry nobody told you this OP. That's why they died out and became action RPGs like Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Dark Souls, etc.
>>
Not every game is for everyone. Go play Call of Duty.
>>
Morrowind quests are exactly like Fallout 4 quests. Go to A, then go to B, then kill everyone at C, maybe pick up something, then go back to A.

Bethesda has never made a good game.
>>
>>318158504
Obligatory this is Bait reaction
>>
>>318158252
There is no inherent benefit to things being more complex.

>>318158332
>No real choices
I know people like to say this nowdays but there were never many rpgs with 'real choices' and it's only recently that people decided RPGs were all about branching storylines and reactivity.
>>
>>318158657
I admit I'm being inflammatory because I hate isometric RPGs and I'm glad they died out, but that doesn't mean that I'm saying something I don't mean.
>>
>>318158818
Although there is a very real moment when something becomes a lever that can only be pulled one direction tier simplicity. Not responding to FO2 being this way though.
>>
>semi-constructive statement followed by insult, OP!
>>
>>318157313
I don't blame you man, after 10 years of games being streamlined and simplified you eventually adapt to it, its unfortunate but shit it happens.
>>
File: karl.png (103 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
karl.png
103 KB, 700x700
>>318159065
That's just, like your opinion man. You can't account for taste I suppose. But Isometrics existed and will continue to persist as there is an audience for them. You know fucking assholes like me and other fucking losers that will call you a dumb fag who is a neo-babbi gay lala man. I love you tho.
>>
>>318159479
That's alright, Anon. I'm glad isometric RPGs exist in the form of kickstarter for you nerdlingers. :~)
>>
>>318157838
/thread

Go back to pressing X to pay respects faggot.
>>
>>318157313
>Am I jaded /v/?
No, just tired. You to play RPGs, but rush it, because you feel like you wasting time when you not "do" things, but learn them.

Get yourself open world action game instead.
>>
>>318160603
>open world action game
This is the worst genre in existance
>>
>>318160834
>endless killing things, scouting locations and gathering junk
>no skill investement, or mechanics learning needed
It's good choice for a casual, or tired gamer. You think why people have 500h+ in Skyrim?
>>
>>318157782
Have you played icewind dale?
>>
>>318161602
>he didn't like icewind dale
how's kindergarten going kiddo
>>
>>318158007
>I've played morrowind for about 100 hours, I can see why people enjoyed it when it came out but it just doesn't appeal to me
It took you a hundred hours to figure that out? There's something wrong with you.
>>
>>318161602
At least in Icewind Dale the combat isn't complete shit
>>
File: Viconia2.png (115 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Viconia2.png
115 KB, 210x330
>>318157313
Hard to get into BG2 unless you love RPGs or have played BG1. As with most RPG games, you probably need to give it at least a few hours to get immersed.
If you're rushing through character creation, you're doing it wrong.

Viconia is best waifu.

Also, Pillars is a scrapped Baldur's Gate sequel that was later given to Obsidishit, which they succeeded in making into a giant pile of steaming, pretentious shit while ruining every RPG element because they didn't want to pay a few thousand dollars to use D&D.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.