[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best RPG of the Year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: Deserved.png (310 KB, 934x357) Image search: [Google]
Deserved.png
310 KB, 934x357
Good choice, imo. Pillars of Eternity is not just the best RPG of the year but also the best CRPG released since Mask of the Betrayer 8 years ago. I'm glad it's getting the recognition it deserves.
>>
Cool, didn't expect it to win awards. Thought The Shitter 3 was gonna get all of them, even though it's barely a RPG
>>
>>318151585
>tfw most people who voted for it probably didn't even knew AoD exists
For shame
>>
File: w3g.jpg (152 KB, 962x712) Image search: [Google]
w3g.jpg
152 KB, 962x712
>>318151585
>>
>>318151585
Storyfags destroyed WRPG's
>>
>>318153091
>implying PoE story is even good
It's literally NWN1 story.

An seemingly evil organization (Leaden Key/Cult of the Eye) led by a priest (Thaos/Maugrim) started a plague (Hollowborn plague/wailing death) in order to bring their goddess (Woedica/Morag) back.
>>
>>318152963
Age of Decadence is fucking awful.
I can forgive it's atrocious graphics, poor transitions, indie quality maps and movement, but the combat system is so fucking poor and boring as well, the interface is clunky as fuck and the UI is atrocious.

It seriously plays like a game released in 1990 and I'm sorry, but that shit just doesn't stick. It took 7 years to develop and this was the best they could come up with, fucking embarrassing.

The writing may be excellent (I cannot confirm or deny, did not go far enough into it), but everything around is is awful. Pillars of Eternity is much better.
>>
>>318153039
>Life is Tumblr in second place
wew lads
>>
No, that would be bloodborne
>>
>>318153642
>Bloodborne
>RPG
lol
>>
>>318153642
Eeeh, I guess it's fair to call Bloodborne a RPG, but I'd consider it more an Action game with some heavy RPG elements.

Pillars of Eternity is a true RPG for true RPG men.
>>
life is strange??
wow man...having connections really pays off in this industry.
>>
>>318153462
>AoD
>poor combat
Kek, at least there was some kind of variety and depth to it. Different attacks against different types of enemies, dodge or block, melee or ranged, proper fucking spears, utilities like nets, bolas, poisons, bombs, liquid fire, neurostimulants etc.

Sure beats the "place tank at the choke point and nuke everything to hell with dps" in PoE. Every encounter was literally the same boring shit all over again, especially the "ultimate dungeon".
>>
>>318153773
>Life Is Strange
>Connections

You're kidding, right? They're a bunch of French fucks that did "Remember Me" (which you probably don't remember, yeah, I'm doing the joke everyone does)

They're French irrelevant people that happened to make a game that a dozen people like, including here in /v/. I don't particularly liked it (I liked the first episode and checked out during the second) but you gotta give them credit.
>>
>>318153892
It's slow, plodding, the majority of options it gives you barely make a difference, the atrociousness of the UI and the Interface is especially apparent there and it plays like complete shit.

Also, you think that a game that was constantly telling you how dangerous combat is and how deadly it is wouldn't have the combat consist of the generic "Slice this motherfucker on the fucking unarmored head with a gigantic axe four times before he finally dies"

It's shit, m8. Accept it.
>>
>>318153642

KEK. No. Not really.
>>
>>318151585

To be fair, being the best CRPG of the year isn't hard... When you're the only CRPG released that year.
>>
jrpg>wrpg
>>
>>318154097
>It's slow, plodding
Maybe if you have attention span of a goldfish, not every game has to be CoD.

>the majority of options it gives you barely make a difference
Guess how I know you didn't even try them?

>the atrociousness of the UI and the Interface is especially apparent
>atrociousness
What is so atrocious about it? It works and doesn't look half bad unless all you care about is muh graphics, in which case you really should stick to CoD

>Slice this motherfucker on the fucking unarmored head with a gigantic axe four times before he finally dies
>implying
Yeah, because everyone has an unarmored head and everyone is so shit at dodging you will always hit them in the head

How about you actually play the game, bet you just got stuck on some early fight and are still buttblasted about it
>>
>>318154864
Motherfucker, I had 9 Strength, 9 Dexterity and 10 Constitution, I put all my skill points in Axe (So I was something like an Expert at it)

I bought the best Axe there was from the initial merchant.

I then faced the first thugs of the game.

I hit them with a "head attack" on his fucking armored head and I hit, he didn't dodge it at all.

And I needed to do this four times before he died. FOUR STRIKES TO HIS HEAD.WITH AN OVERSIZED AXE.

SO REALISTIC! SO DANGEROUS! SO THREATENING! Not to mention it all looks and plays like fucking Runescape

You're full of fucking shit. The game sucks.
>>
>>318155342
>fucking armored head
unarmored head, I mean. He had no helmet whatsoever, it was just his dumb face headbutting my fucking axe crashing down on him. Again, four times before he died.
>>
Divine Divinity Original Sin plays better.
>>
>>318154864
>Maybe if you have attention span of a goldfish, not every game has to be CoD.
Yeah dude, Desert Bus is the fucking shit

http://desertbus-game.org/

>It's really slo-
WOW, ATTENTION SPAN OF A CODFISH MUCH? GO BACK TO YOUR CALL OF DUTIES LEL
>>
>>318155425
It has a better combat system than Pillars of Eternity, but everything else about that game sucks. Boring setting, boring story, boring characters, boring companions, boring "witty" and quirky writing.

The combat is all it has going for it (plus the sharp graphics) but I didn't get past the second area because there was nothing else to it.

Pillars of Eternity is much better overall.
>>
>splatoon not even on best multiplayer, but fucking fifa 16 is
>splatoon not nominated for best original game
>fucking nvida shield beating wii u

Why should I trust these guys?
>>
>>318155342
There are these things called dice rolls and stats.

MAYBE count a headshot as a natural 20 crit, but to say just because you hit him there that you get to disregard the entire mechanics of stats is pretty lame, anon.
>>
>>318155342
>4 strikes to the head
No you fucking idiot, those weren't "strikes" , you just barely fucking grazed his head.

The real strike is a critical strike, then it wouldn't take more than 1 hit, 2 tops.

I'm sorry I have to break it to you but combat is not about 1 hit kills, most of the time your weapon is just barely hitting the target. Watch some HEMA to get a better idea instead of trying to act smart.

Also
>dumped all of his points into combat stats
>suprised he has an advantage early on
All thise decisions would gimp you later on since low INT means less skill points and dumping everything into weapon skill means soon everyone else is going to aim for your head too.

You don't get to complain about combat system if you don't understand shit and haven't seen a good chunk of it.

Not to mention, in PoE your tank can be hit 100 times with a giant axe and still stand like it's nothing.
>>
>>318155472
I don't have any problem with how slow it is since it's that type of game.

You can always speed up the animations if it bothers you so much, but to say it's shit because it's slow shows that you don't care about depth or decision making, just action and explosions.
>>
>>318155559
>Boring setting, boring story, boring characters, boring companions

That describes PoE for me.
>>
>>318156098
>>318156115
>Combat hypes itself as dangerous and a realistic threat that you don't want to fuck with
>Dozens of useless types of ways of attacking, including a limb targeting system
>Target the head
>Hit it
>Opponent fails to dodge
>JUST A GRAZE LOL, HE'S FINE

Fuck you faggots. It's a boring plodding combat system that doesn't play as it advertises itself. Not only does the game have bad graphics, but it also manages to get the interface and inventory of a fucking 25 year old game. It's fucking embarrassing.

Great writing can't save that shit, maybe it'd be good if it was released in 1994.

Seven years of development for this shit, fucking embarrassing.

>>318156643
It's slow and plodding even without taking into account the animations, but yeah, the dumb animations certainly don't help.

Compare Divinity's combat with Age of Decadence and it just shows how fucking atrocious AoD is as a game. Divinity's combat is how Turn-Based is done right.
>>
>>318157168
Shit taste t͘bh f͘am
>>
>>318157247
Again, you didn't play shit and don't understand how irl combat works.

Beat the whole game by just targeting the head and by putting no points in anything but one weapons skill, see how it works out for you.

Don't give a single fuck about graphics, I'd rather have rhe devs work on content. I swear graphicfags are the worst, why won't you just go outside, 10/10 graphic you won't see any better.

Also, you seem to avoid the fact that combat in PoE is uninspired, repetetive MMO tier dogshit with no encounter design regardless of what you think of AoD. And while AoD can be played without fighting even once from start to finish, PoE is a combat heavy RPG where even fucking charisma (I mean, resolve) has to affect the combat because lol balance.

I played both, finished PoE twice and about 6 different runs in AoD. Every fight in PoE is literally the same, send the tank to take aggro and nuke everything with DPS MMO style.

While in AoD I was forced to use different items, attacks and tactics depending on the situation.

In short, you base your opinion on AoD combat on limited amount of experience, you are full of shit.
>>
>>318158392
Whether you like eating shit or not is irrelevant to said shit's quality. You didn't properly defend the game's shitty combat and you basically admit it sucks.

>Beat the whole game by just targeting the head and by putting no points in anything but one weapons skill, see how it works out for you.
Yeah, this makes it perfectly acceptable for a low level thug with no helmet to survive 4 axe strikes to the head

Also, nice roleplaying game you have there, where you can't play with a combat build. Stupid faggot, just keep digging that hole further.
>>
>>318159363
>survive 4 axe strikes
Non-direct strikes, yeah. You don't get to talk about realism if you don't know shit about it, so don't, especially if you refuse to listen.

>low level
There are no levels in AoD, it's not d&d.

>you can't play with a combat build
You can.

But if you make a shitty build which doesn't have any defensive skills, you are going to have a hard time. It's not against roleplaying to make something ineffective and suffer consequences for it, roleplaying doesn't mean "everything works".

In PoE however, it's literally impossible to make a non-combat build. You can't roleplay as a merchant or a thief, you always have to be good at combat.

Guess I'm done talking with you, since it's clear by now that you didn't play the game long enough to be able to form any opinions on it, and refuse to listen to arguments told by someone who finished both AoD and PoE multiple times, you just want to throw shit.
>>
But what will be the best RPG of the next year?
My money's on FF XV
>>
>>318160604
I played a combat build who spoke him out of somethings, and I played a merchant. The worst in my opinion been the thieves guild since you need o be so freaking wellrounded its hard.
>>
>>318161052
"RPG". All the matter of what kind of RPGs you want. Not much of choices and consequences in Japrpgs
>>
File: 1448350684716.png (3 MB, 1100x1575) Image search: [Google]
1448350684716.png
3 MB, 1100x1575
>no DT2
>no Shellie

Fucking eops, stop embarrassing yourselves
>>
File: ss2.png (437 KB, 1168x629) Image search: [Google]
ss2.png
437 KB, 1168x629
That's not Serpent in the Staglands, you ultra faggot.
>>
>>318160604
>Non-direct strikes
>To an unarmored head
>With a fucking axe
>He's completely fine until the fourth strike

Fuck off
>>
>>318161086
The devs fucked up on that one, it's not really possible to finish the game with a "pure" (sneak/steal/lockpicking etc) thief, you will need to either talk or fight your way out of things eventually.

It's being discussed ob the AoD forum though, they may fix it.

I finished the game as a pure dodge/spear/crit fighter, pure merchant/talker, "pure" thief with some talking skills, pure crossbow/dodge/crit fighter, hybrid assasin with daggers/crit, some talking and sneak/disguise and a hybrid loremaster/fighter wirh crossbows/dodge and lore/crafting.

Game is really good for roleplaying, devs definetly focused on replayability and different solutions/avaivable content depending on the build.
>>
>>318160604
You know, finishing games is irrelevant. You can criticize a game even if you only played 2 hours of it. Your arguments are pretty subpar 2bh
>>
>>318151585
>2007 was 8 years ago
killll meeee
>>
>>318151585
>>318153039
from what org are these awards from?
>>
>>318162127
GameDebate
>>
>>318161939
>you can criticize a fame even if you only played 2 hours of it
Not really, unless those 2 hours show how the whole game will play. Not the case with AoD.

That Anon, however, took one of the easier fights in the game, won it with an entirely combat-focused char and now thinks every fight must play exactly like that, which is entirely untrue.
>>
Realtime with pause is the worst kind of combat mechanic any RPG or crpg can have.
Pillars is OK, and only OK.
>>
>>318161829
Yeah! The Thief became bit to much like an assassin in the story in how one spent points on em.

>>318161689
Is Staglands worth it? I got it laying around on Steam since summer.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.