[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it safe to give out my phone number?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: steam.jpg (107 KB, 568x685) Image search: [Google]
steam.jpg
107 KB, 568x685
is it safe to give out my phone number?
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>318149443
Gabe will send you noods if you do.
>>
>>318149443
What on 4chan? Yeah sure what is it?
>>
>>318149696
sign me the fuck up
>>
>>318149443
I hate how suddenly everyone of these shitty companies wants your "phone number". It reminds me of all the times they get constantly hacked and lose people's credit cards information, now they want phone numbers...
>>
If they have to entice you to give them info, I wouldn't do it.
>>
>it's alright when steam invades your privacy
>>
>>318149443
>willing give steam/valve your creditcard number
>won't give them your phone number
>>
>>318152798
Sunk cost fallacy.
>well he's already fucking me in the ass, so I might aswell suck his dick
>>
>>318152798

Nice blind assumptions, bro.
>>
>>318152798
This. Y'all niggas is stoopid.
>>
>>318152868
What exactly are you bitching about?
>>
>>318149443
Are you really okay with missing all these lewd messages, Gabe wants to send you?
>>
>>318152798
>implying
>>
>>318149443
It depends on what your phone number is

Post your phone number here and I'll tell you if it's one of the ones that's safe to share
>>
>>318153005
If you think it's okay to start giving away all of your personal information just because you've already given some away you are a fucking retard.
Why don't you email your birth certificate and social security number to valve while you're at it, retard.
>>
>>318152503
It's optional, and it's for account security at least in the case of Steam. If you're addressing other companies, fine, but if you're including Steam you're pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>318152798
>people actually have their credit card number on file with valve
This is a 18+ website anon, it's assumed here you aren't a stupid child, and don't funnel your parent's money directly into valve's pocket.
>>
>>318153154
>Why don't you email your birth certificate and social security number to valve while you're at it
considering I'm making hundreds of bucks a month off of Valve selling my CS:GO skins, way ahead of you :^)
>>
>give thsm your phone number now
>change your number the next time you exchange your phone
>vavle still has a number on file
Problem solved
>>
>>318153191
>and it's for account security at least in the case of Steam
Steam is already overboard on their security bullshit anyway. This is purely for marketing reasons.
>If you're addressing other companies, fine, but if you're including Steam you're pretty fucking stupid.
>It's okay when steam does it
>>
>>318149443
>>318153191

The moment youtube tried to get me to tie my phone number to everything I watch when they merged with google I closed my account.

I told them they were nazis and I didnt like the idea of people having a list of every single video I ever watch, tied to my fucking phone number.

If you are okay with that you are cancer on the human race.
>>
>>318153270
Hundreds of e-bucks, in shit you will never sell for any kind of real money.
>>
>>318153310
Op-tion-al
You don't have to do it. It is for account security. You clearly have some form of advanced autism. How are you even able to operate this website without hurting yourself?
>>
File: Scan.jpg (71 KB, 556x439) Image search: [Google]
Scan.jpg
71 KB, 556x439
>2020 Steam
Hey guys, it's just a daily check-in, full retinal scan, and DNA check.
>>
>>318153310
That information is already out there, especially if you have a fucking smart phone. It just doesn't happen to be tied to the number on your phone, which I'm sure could still be easily done if someone needed information on you.
>>
>>318153396
I wouldn't mind desu
>>
>>318153153
pls see
313-
556-
>>
>>318153359
are you merely pretending or do you seriously think valve pays contributors in steam wallet funds?
>>
Reminder that penis inspection at school used to be optional too at one point in time.
>>
>>318153396
So? Long as only I can access my account, why does it matter?
>>
>/v/ - Paranoia
>>
>>318153479
I'm going to assume this number is fake, or random. Unless you really are a Harrison Travon from Detroit.
>>
>>318153470
This.
Never gave my number to any websites and the only people who had my number are my family has my number yet I still got spam calls a few months back anyway.
>>
>>318153396
It's okay when steam does it.
Rectal dildo scanners when.
>>
File: 1411168476292.jpg (17 KB, 235x236) Image search: [Google]
1411168476292.jpg
17 KB, 235x236
>>318153387

For youtube you had to, and for steam you probably will be forced to eventually too.

>The horse armor
>Op-tion-al

This is you.
>>
>>318153490
Alright so lets see your paypal for all those fat valve cheques anon.
>>
File: 2015 - not using dumbphones.jpg (5 KB, 250x205) Image search: [Google]
2015 - not using dumbphones.jpg
5 KB, 250x205
>>318153470

>if you have a fucking smart phone.

implying
>>
>>318153470
Yeah and if I wanted I could break into your house and steal your social security card.
There's a pretty obvious line between identity theft and giving away your identity.
>>
>>318153396
The hell does Steam need my epigenome for?
>>
The funny thing is my online banking account doesn't give me an option to set up a OTP. Steam is more secure than my bank at this point.
>>
>>318153956
>For youtube you had to
Wait what? I'm still using my youtube fine and dandy without giving them my number.
>>
>>318149443
>/v/ scared of two-factor authentication

Nigger you're fucking stupid. It's just there so when Mikhailov datamines your STEAM password he can't log in because it'll send a code to your cellphone and there's no possible way for him to get it.

It's the easiest way to get the most amount of digital security you can. Even if your password is "123password" they won't be able to hack your account.
>>
>>318154318

Well they might have changed it but one day I went to log into my youtube account (some like 5+ years ago, probably more like 8+ now) and they had merged with google accounts and your google account was the one you use for youtube.

They said type your phone number in to change the account over to a google one, and gave absolutely no other option. I said ne ne.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.