[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the most underrated Final Fantasy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: HzY5fQ6.jpg (144 KB, 650x900) Image search: [Google]
HzY5fQ6.jpg
144 KB, 650x900
Is this the most underrated Final Fantasy?
>>
I played it when it first came out in 1987. A lot of people loved it.

I wouldn't say it's underrated, just old. It paved the way for what we have now.

>inb4 XIII shitposting
>>
>>318138616
As someone who's only beaten this FF game, yeah, I'd agree with that.
>>
File: peperoad.jpg (43 KB, 651x495) Image search: [Google]
peperoad.jpg
43 KB, 651x495
>Includes 84-page Explorer's Handbook, Game World and Dungeon Maps, plus full color Monster chart.
>mfw the golden age of gaming is dead
>>
Most likely. It gets dismissed pretty frequently due to its age, but it's still one of the better games in the series.
>>
It feels like it is, but it must be popular if it gets a gorillion remakes.
>>
>>318140381
XCX collector's edition comes with a map and artbook and the guide is on the internet
>>
that would be 2 or 13 retard or what every is currently hated the most
>>
File: 1448398357550.png (116 KB, 346x188) Image search: [Google]
1448398357550.png
116 KB, 346x188
>>318138616
If the original version wasn't such a buggy piece of shit, I would say 2 is.
>>
Probably to those who played it at the time, I played it about 5 years ago and it felt like a chore to get through and finish.
>>
>>318138616
It's between this and IV because idiots never see what's so good about IV because they just assume things like complex boss fights were always part of the series.
>>
>>318138616
>Most underrated
>Most overrated
>>
File: WantToBelieve.jpg (167 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
WantToBelieve.jpg
167 KB, 1024x768
>>318138616
> The well in the first town

> Instruction manual had a page that highlighted it

It has to mean something...
IT HAS TO BE... SOMETHING!
>>
>>318138616
This is probably the only game in the entire series that isn't overrated or underrated in any way, shape, or form.

It was the game that saved Square, it was rough around the edges compared to later games, it was pretty much an NES version of Wizardry, and people generally know these things.
>>
>>318142787
This.
>>318143779
Too bad some of 4's dungeons are rancid shit like the underground cave with the ropes and killer doors. Goddamn what a hassle to deal with. There's not even a good gimmick, it's just plain fucking long and boring. Irredeemable shit.
Otherwise, yeah, 4 deserves more props than memefaggots spewing "I'm batman!" about dark cecil and the wacky revolving betrayal door, Kain
>>
>>318144317
>most overrated
>not 6
Jesus christ, 6 is so fucking overrated, it is criminal. 7 at least deserves some of its credit, but 6 was trash when compared to Square's other non-FF games and Chrono Trigger was basically a huge "fuck you" to 6 and everything it did wrong (though CT has several other flaws as well, but still far less than 6, I tell you what).
>>
>>318145081
>Too bad some of 4's dungeons are rancid shit like the underground cave with the ropes and killer doors.
The only dungeon I ever had problems with was the magnetic cave and that's only because if you missed an event, it wasn't possible to fight the dark elf.
>>
File: 22300_front.jpg (74 KB, 559x768) Image search: [Google]
22300_front.jpg
74 KB, 559x768
>>318144731
>it was pretty much an NES version of Wizardry
Excuse YOU, nigga?
>>
>>318145287
Wizardry on the NES and made by Nips.
>>
>>318145240
I thought it was mandatory to talk to Edward.

Either way, passing up the chance to raid a big ass castle is just plain stupid. I raided Eblan as soon as I got the airship. Worth the weight.
>>
>>318145227
It doesn't help that the people who think FF6 is the best FF ever are the type of people who can't look at a game objectively and instead plug their ears and scream when any of the game's flaws are pointed out.
>>
>>318145332
Yeah, about that.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/company/78150-game-studio
http://www.gamefaqs.com/company/76276-nexoft

Granted, it was a port job, but hey, I can still make a field goal without moving the posts.
>>
>>318145354
Nope, it just locks you into a fight that's impossible to win and it's entirely possible to miss the room Edward is in.
>>
>>318144317
Honestly 5 itself is pretty overrated. Only 1 or 2 could be contenders for an 'underrated' position, and even then they're both overrated on account of being a part of the Final Fantasy franchise.
>>
>>318145365
The fact that FF6 has more mods, hacks, and fixes than any other FF game really says something.
Even for fixing little shit as minor as the fucked-up directions faced while running away after using the Jump skill.

Like, fucking really, Square? You couldn't have fixed that shit on your own?
>>
File: BiAeCSBCYAAS9jw.jpg large.jpg (27 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
BiAeCSBCYAAS9jw.jpg large.jpg
27 KB, 640x360
Waifu Dressup was legitimately good, but between filthy casual reviewers that couldn't figure out how the time-mechanic works. Oh no! It's "timed" instead of open world! Let's just completely forget about the fact that you can spend easily ~80 irl hours per playthrough and clear every mission in the first 2 game-days.

Also a lot of people just blindly hated it just because Lightning is in it.
>>
>>318145424
I can't remember if the DS version forced you to visit him or not as part of an unavoidable cutscene.
>>318145434
Nah, 5 is when FF really started getting good and truly set the landmarks for later FF's and job systems, especially FFT, which you faggots all jack off over despite it not even being a main entry. The only issue I think is that many bosses completely lack the more clever aspects of those from FF4, due to the freedom to choose so many jobs, that they ended up too easy, since you can just spam damage, heal, and win, with mostly no strategy involved.

FF3 attempted to do good with the job system, but completely dropped the ball with a bunch of jobs that were worthless compared to others or worthless on their own. On top of that, both the job points and job leveling were awkward and poorly handled. Then you have shit that completely shows you how flawed the system is, such as the fire machine tower which forced you to be frogs, and thus fucked both your equipment and MP charges. Not to mention shit like the Two-Headed "HOPE YOU STILL HAVE SHIELDS, FAGGOT" Dragon, who can completely shit-wreck you.

tbc
>>
>>318146370
FF4 didn't have a job system necessarily, but the way it shuffled different jobs about in the characters you had lent a better sense of changing things around throughout the story than FF3 did. Even on a gameplay angle, they could do more with bosses because of the story-based party loadouts. However, it wasn't all bad either, since there were (bugs aside) finally reliable ways to really utilize aspects of weapons and armor in terms of both damage specialties (examples: ice-attribute weapon vs ice-weak enemy and using ice armor to lower fire damage) and also abilities (example: gaia hammer casting an MP-free mini quake to strike multiple enemies, being especially useful in the underworld since you can use the dwarf castle's healing jar to grind easily).
FF5 tried to build more off of 5, and mostly succeeded, save for bosses, but its real perk is being able to play and replay it with whatever the fuck party set up you want and still being able to beat it for the most part. I don't think any mainline FF has really come this close to 5's level of replayability while being able to actually mix things up instead of just playing the exact same fucking game over and over again (FF9, I'm looking at you, you overrated pile of shit).
>>
>>318145656
I liked it better when it was called FFX-2 and also when FF13-2 wasn't shit and didn't only have one character and far less customization.

Really, FF13LR is shit by virtue of being shit, Lightning aside.
>>
>>318145656
Demo was surprisingly fun.
>>
>>318146370
>Nah, 5 is when FF really started getting good
That's funny because I'd say that FF5 is both the best FF and the last great one. It's all downhill after it.
>>
>>318146659
I honestly think that 7 and 8 had some redeeming parts to them, but there's other factors that drag it down.
In terms of customization though, 7 is pretty good about that, and so is 8, but only if you know what you're doing, otherwise its a hassle if you can't exploit triple triad and miss out on GFs. 7's only major weakness in terms of gameplay is making things too grindy. I mean, having to grind the ability to cast spells on all enemies or allies? Come the fuck on. Missing out on shit like the 4 Master Materia and some of the better command skills like W-Item and 2/4x-Cut along with some of the minigames being a bit too forced to get some of the better stuff is a hassle I'll admit, but you really don't need that much to make the game super easy.
I mean, my jaw dropped when I killed both forms of Sephiroth in about 10 turns or so and he only got a few shots on me. "That's it?" I had thought. And I didn't even have that much good shit. Slash all, 2x cut, w-item (this one I didn't even get to take advantage of), and Ultima, and that's it. No master materia, no knights of the round, no w summon, no mimic, none of that fancy shit. To some extent, I'd say you can have a good time with FF7 gameplay-wise using a variety of set-ups, but at the same time, it amplifies how cheese-able FF5 was when you even have so much as a little of the good stuff. This doesn't really come into play much until after Disc 2, but still.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.