[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone mentioned this game on another thread and it reminded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10
File: Kalaswallpaper.jpg (258 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Kalaswallpaper.jpg
258 KB, 800x600
Someone mentioned this game on another thread and it reminded me how awesome it is.

Who /Mizuti/ here?
>>
Mitzuti is pretty based.
Other favorites include Lyude and Savyna.
>>
does this game emulate well?
>>
>>318125237
Lyude was kind of a faggot, always liked Gibari more.

My team was always Kalas, Gibari and Mizuti.
>>
>>318125428
Mostly I just liked his trumpetgun. Shit was amusing to me.
Similar story with Savyna, I always like the punchy people.
Mizuti is great all around though.
>>
If the game would be any slower I would still be in the starting screen
Musics dank though
>>
File: Relay.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Relay.webm
3 MB, 480x360
/origins/ here
>>
File: latest[10].jpg (72 KB, 500x800) Image search: [Google]
latest[10].jpg
72 KB, 500x800
>implying you didn't think this was a girl
>>
>>318125746
>slow

When you only have 5 seconds to pick 11 cards in an order that makes sense, yeah no.

>>318125878
I never played that bastardization, the card system was flawless and they ruined it.
>>
File: 394254_p0.jpg (100 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
394254_p0.jpg
100 KB, 400x500
>>318125878

origins battle system is more fun but there isn't much planning
>>
I think Baten Kaitos has one of the best executed plot twists in the medium. It's actually foreshadowed pretty heavily, but due to the way it plays with genre tropes it's pretty easy to overlook all the clues thrown your way.

I also enjoy heavy character customization and card-based mechanics, so I had a lot of fun with the game. It's my favorite RPG from that generation.
>>
File: 4086514.jpg (431 KB, 1217x844) Image search: [Google]
4086514.jpg
431 KB, 1217x844
>>318125383
I played the first few hours of the Japanese iso emulated, seems fine. (I just couldn't deal with the english voice for a 2nd play though).

Baten Kaitos 3 when?
>>
>>318125943
>baten kaitos' card system
>flawless

no, it was highly flawed.
>A major problem is that you have defensive cards to be used against attacks but they were pretty much pointless. Especially against elemental damage as you'd need a fire armor to guard against any fire damage.
>You wasted a turn shuffling your deck when it ran out.
>Heart of the cards doesn't pay out that often.
>Characters often specialize in conflicting elements (Savyna uses Fire+Water, Lyude uses Light+Dark) when using conflicting elements in the same turn will cancel each other out so they're mostly stuck with just one element for their deck
>WIND BLOW, WIND BLOW, WIND BLOW, FIRE BURST, FIRE BURST, LIGHT FLARE, LIGHT FLARE, LIGHT FLARE
>>
>>318126241
You're just shit at managing your deck bro, it's cool, I get it I was new once too.
>>
>>318126114

it's interesting because of how it treats the player as an observer mostly
>>
File: BK201.jpg (780 KB, 1280x1656) Image search: [Google]
BK201.jpg
780 KB, 1280x1656
>>318126241
my beef with it is the number bonus system is under utilized. There should be more bonus combos more than just all ascending / descending.
>>
Battle system drove me away from it.

Nothing's more BS than needing some healing items drawn to recover from a large attack from a boss, and your next hand is all attacking cards, spelling your game over.
>>
What the fuck does Baten Kaitos mean anyway?
>>
>>318126365
It was still this way even into end game numpnuts. I liked how Origins did equipment better. You equipped it before you started your attack and it was good for so many attacks.

the original focused on a poker kind of aspect and getting bonuses through hands (3 of a kind, straights, etc). Origins focuses on specific card combinations (Weak Attack B -> Medium Attack B -> Strong Attack B -> Icefan -> Sigil Cry ->
Zeniver Cascade -> Aphelion Dustwake for Guillo will activate an Ex Combo for a heavy bonus)
>>
File: 5261863.jpg (292 KB, 794x1134) Image search: [Google]
5261863.jpg
292 KB, 794x1134
>>
I didn't like it much. Seems to be a case of being praised cause there's not much else on the system. GC had what? This, Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia and I guess Paper Mario. If this was on PS2 it will be just as forgettable as Shadow Hearts.
>>
>>318127858

it's got nice 2d set pieces and some interesting masato kato locales

battle system / management is sort of unique but flawed and can be very time consuming

feel strangely connected to the world at times because of the way characters directly talk to the player
>>
File: 6524264.jpg (127 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
6524264.jpg
127 KB, 800x600
>>318128162
Yea, the way it breaks the 4th wall for non-comedy and non-tutorial purposes makes it pretty unique.
>>
>>318126591
>The title, Baten Kaitos (Arabic: بطن قيتوس), comes from Arabic meaning "belly of the sea monster/whale" and is also the name of the star Zeta Ceti.
>>
File: BLANKITY.jpg (25 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
BLANKITY.jpg
25 KB, 500x337
>>318126114
Origins one (Well one of them anyway) was pretty shitty though.

>Spirit reactions are always positive or snarky
>One character suddenly gives you the prompt to tell them to die in a fire
>Cue backstab

A twist for the sake of a twist is the worst, I'd rather the whole game really was just About Baelheit
>>
I loved the first Baten Kaitos but couldn't get into Origins at all. It felt like there there was no strategy in battle and you were just counting upwards the entire time.
>>
>>318125943
>>318126075
>>318129109
>>318129302
was origins really that bad? I loved the first one so much but never really tried origins. Is it worth a shot or is it nothing like Baten Kaitos 1?
>>
>>318126114
you were helping Kalas, he turns into a dick, you say fuck no fuck you kalas and he erases your memory and it turns out he was 'evil' from the start

was that about the gist of it it's been a while
>>
>>318129750

it's a prequel but with a screenplay by a different writer. it's an ok story in its own right but really wasn't necessary. doesn't feel as atmospheric as the first game but the three main characters have better chemistry and are more lively. there's small changes like being able to dash that makes traveling around faster.

battles are faster paced with less planning, more reaction as when using the "Burst" function cards needed to continue the combo will frequently appear. all characters share the same deck, there are no defense cards, and there are only generic "weak->medium->strong" attack cards that can be chained, but special cards (IV~VII) that can be changed ascendingly unique to the character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3AHLA3gADQ
>>
>>318129750
It uses some streamlining but basicallyl

>improved voice acting
>ATB style battle instead of strict turns
>Deck is shared between the 3 party members
>Deck constantly recycles itself so no shuffling turn
>Attack cards are now just "Weak Attack", "Medium Attack" and "Strong Attack" A/B Variations. There are also a handful of "intermediary" attack cards that one character can use between normal attacks
>card system instead of being open is now linear. For example, Weak Attack, Medium Attack, Strong Attack are numbered 1, 2, 3, and you can only go up. So you can go 1->3 or 1->2->3 but not 3->2->1. Finishers follow up with 4, 5, 6 and etc and can be used in ascending order so long as you have the MP to use them (level 1 finisher costs 1 MP, level 2 costs 2, etc)
>Recovery item cards cost MP to use but have powerful effects.
>Equipment cards are equipped before you start an attack and are good for however many attacks they say they are good for. What's most important though is that most of them have the card number R0, meaning they are relayable, allowing you to chain one character's turn immediately following someone else's by using a relay equipment card.
>MP Burst at level 5 MP allows the player to spend it all in order to use as many finishers as you can spend on which if the player is smart lets you chain all 3 characters' combos in a row with all of their finishers for massive damage
>Heart of the cards is more helpful and with it maxed the deck will constantly shuffle to give you what you need

overall it's more streamlined and way faster but requires less planning.
>>
>>318126127
You know there is am undubbed versión, right
>>
>>318126241
>Especially against elemental damage as you'd need a fire armor to guard against any fire damage.
What? No
To defend against fire you'd need an Ice armor (or ice/water weapon) I'm playing the game right now, so yeah, shut up
>>
>>318131775
I had it mixed up, but the fact remains that you need specific armor to use against an attack at that exact moment which probably won't happen.
>>
>>318131829
Well, enemies in an area are kinda consistent regarding elements, so if you are by a river fighting fishes and turtles then only have fire armor and weapons in your deck, it's not like's rocket science.
>>
I just like this game because of the brown villainous waifu
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 570x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 570x800
>>318134027
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.