[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, voiced protagonist. Yay, or nay?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13
File: voiced.jpg (165 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
voiced.jpg
165 KB, 1920x1080
So, voiced protagonist.

Yay, or nay?
>>
>>318113097
nay
>>
No, shit VAs make the game worse and good VAs are too expensive.
>>
>>318113097
Yay
>>
Depends on genre.
>>
>>318113097
>"HALT! STATE YOUR NAME!"
What now OP?
>>
>>318113097
Nay, so much nay.

Honestly, if Bethesda's so much bent on voiced protags for their RPGs now, the least they could do is provide a selection of voices, like Saints Row does. Still far from ideal, but at least it'd be a little more palatable to have choice in the matter.
>>
>>318113258
>>318113283
>>318113424
Hello reddit
>>
>>318113097
Yes, definitely.
A good VA can literally carry a game. Of course, it also needs good writing to work.
>>
>>318113097
HATE VOICED PROTAGONIST
>>
Whatevay
>>
>Voiced protag
Not innately a bad thing
>Voiced protag whose only variations are 'nice guy' and 'super nice guy'

Always a bad thing especially in a post apocalyptic setting where being evil is the point.
>>
not in fallout at least
>>
>>318113097
No
>>
>>318113097
Hell Nay
>>
Just have a pitch changer on the voices. Like soul calibur 4.
>>
>>318113463
Hello bait.
>>
Fuck nay.

I swear if they make the next Elder Scrolls game with a voiced character I will flip shit.
>>
A voiced protagonist can potentially be great in a game with a strong narrative and a good script.

Bethesda is not known for either.
>>
Nay
>>
File: drdrgivememthenews.gif (11 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
drdrgivememthenews.gif
11 KB, 220x220
You know the voiced protagonist is the reason we ended up with this shitty "sarcastic, good, normal,evil" clusterfuck of dialogue options. So bad fucking bad get rid of it. Voice every other character and have more interesting npcs and let me roleplay and not be a fucking spastic dad.
>>
>>318113829
its gonna happen
look forward to your catman who sounds like a 30 something white dude
>>
It's "yea"
>>
File: 1430346236611.gif (780 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1430346236611.gif
780 KB, 256x256
In RPGs, no, because it severely limits the dialogue options and any chances to express your character.

Otherwise, sure
>>
>>318113097
Todd should ask himself if he want to hire 20 voice actors just to cover all protags in the next tes games.
>>
>>318113984
Stop roleplaying and just shoot stuff you fucking nerd.
>>
File: build.png (757 KB, 800x518) Image search: [Google]
build.png
757 KB, 800x518
Depends.

The big problem with rpgs in general is most of the time characters dont sound decent or they are very very bland.

But I fucking love when the voice actors is having fun playing his character and I think that is one of the central points in order to make a memorable character
>>
>>318113984
Basically this.
It's easier to write complex dialogue if you're not thinking about how every word the VA speaks is costing you money.
>>
>>318113097
For a RPG or any game that has extensive conversation options, no.
For anything else, whatever.
>>
>>318114105
>Stop roleplaying
>in a game marketed as an RPG
You can't blame me for trying.
>>
I think voiced protag only works in games with set characters like Gothic, Witcher, Mass Effect etc. In a game where you create your character and such, it's always a bad thing since it impacts the roleplaying value
>>
>>318113097

I'd rather not have it.

It adds more budget to a game and takes away from RP.

Why add all that extra shit? I'd rather funds be added back into more missions that don't get fucked up by the simple introduction of such a mechanic.
>>
File: cross_icon.jpg (51 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
cross_icon.jpg
51 KB, 256x256
>>318113097
Nay
>>
nay
>>
>>318113097
Nay. Some play RPG because they want to "be the character" - that's the "role playing" part of a Role Playing Game (RPG).

If you put someone's voice in it, who doesn't sound like you, then you take that aspect away from the game. You won't "be the character" anymore. It won't be a Role Playing Game anymore.

You'd be that character's follower, chronicling what he does, and an observer who can somehow influence what happens.

But in some ways, it could also be seen as good. Say you don't like your voice and you want to hear someone's voice and pretend it's yours. That could work too.

But more often, you want to pretend as the character you've made and you want your character to sound like you. You want to limit VA to inconsequential BS like grunts, or death sounds, or other useless shit like that because VA is only there to enhance the experience.

Wanting VA'd protag is like watching other people play, instead of playing the game yourself.
>>
>>318113097
A voiced protagonist works with linear dialouge and when anyone but Bethesda writes the dialouge.
>>
Nay.
It's a huge waste of budget.
>>
In a Masseffect, Witcher or Final Fantasy a voiced protag adds a lot.

In the games Bethesda releases less so. Pity that they keep going into that direction.
>>
>>318113097
Nay.
It's just not possible in fallout.
>>
>>318113097
nay
i rather they spend the money for generic npc voices then a million lines for the main character.
>>
nay, voice acting doesn't belong in a game where you can create your own character
>>
Nay, it's a waste of time and budget that could've been allocated to making a better game. Oh who am I kidding... it's fucking Bethesda.
>>
>>318114520
To add to your shit, it feels really off when your character expresses an emotion that you really aren't feeling at the time.
The crying and whimpering and shit when you're talking about muh babby is a prime example of this, really took me out of it.
The dialogue wheel just adds to the issue, with shit like "sarcasm", not knowing if it'll be a snappy dark one liner or edgy foot-in-mouth shit
>>
the only example i can think of where a voiced protag worked was dark messiah of might and magic, but that is because the VA was great and it was a LINEAR GAME, putting voiced protags in an open world roleplaying game is fucking retarded
>>
Yay if the voice actor is good and can play good, evil, and neutral roles

The FO4 VA is decent but he sounds too white and young (eliminates chance at roleplaying as old black guy or mexican guy) and he sounds too goody goody.

If they had someone like Steven Blum who's voice can match literally any age or gender, it would have been way better. Plus he can play good and evil with just his standard voice.
>>
File: situations.jpg (63 KB, 523x535) Image search: [Google]
situations.jpg
63 KB, 523x535
YES
But did they have to get a voice actor that sounds like a c.uck?
More voice options per sex and it would be great but I do realise that would be expensive.

I ended up making a female character and have no problems with her voice.
>>
>>318113097
Don't care. If itso voiced ithe better be good tho
>>
After playing 4, being fine with the VA, then going back to NV. Fuck VA in a fallout game. It's part of what makes 4 less of an rpg.
>>
>>318113575
>being evil is the point
It's anot open world rpg, being evil might be the point for you, but not everyone.

>Not being true neutral survivalist
>>
no.
>>
>>318113097
Depends on the game
I like mass effect having a voiced protagonist
I don't like fallout having a voiced protagonist
>>
File: 2015-11-23_12-13-15.png (243 KB, 318x320) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-23_12-13-15.png
243 KB, 318x320
WHAT ABOUT SAINTS ROW THE FUCK GUYS?
>>
I don't mind. I just wish they wouldn't fuck with us for dialogue options. I hate choosing something that sounds nice, but the script makes it sound condescending/douchey/whatever.
>>
>>318113829
>>318113953
I don't mind them testing all the shitty ideas in Fallout so as little as possible of them will transfer over to elder scrolls
>>
Nay.

I don't mind it if some games do it, but I don't want ALL games to do it. I liked Mass Effect, but I also liked Neverwinter Nights. I'd play a game with no voice acting at all if it meant we got lots of interesting dialogue and roleplaying choices.
>>
>>318113097
nayy lmao
>>
>>318113097
Nay
>>
>>318113097
Depends on if you're playing a role or being the role
>>
>>318113097
Nay, it has crippled any big quest mod projects. How the fuck can we have dialog between new characters now unless there are raw audio files we can splice together to make dialog for the VA
>>
>>318113097
Depends on what type of game it is. If it's a game where you self insert into the MC, such as a role playing rpg, then nay. But if the game has an already established protagonist with a personality, then I'd say yay.
>>
>>318115678
Saints Row had the best fucking VAs for it.

The fucking cockney accent for the male was fucking incredible.
>>
Nay.

Although there are some things I like about it, mainly being the lines used when skipping dialogue and the shouting when you use Psycho.

Other than that, it's not really good for an RPG, unless there are many options (a la Saints Row).
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>318113097
Nay. How am I supposed to play as the Hulkster when I sound like a skinny white boy?
>>
File: into_the_trash_it_goes.png (161 KB, 350x227) Image search: [Google]
into_the_trash_it_goes.png
161 KB, 350x227
>>318113463
>they have a different opinion than me
>>>>>mus b reddit xdxd
>>
>RPGs?
Fuck no

>Everything else
Sure
>>
Huge nay

The game isn't even that bad, but the voiced protag and the dialogue system is far and away the worst part of this game

Todd, hope you're taking notes when you do Elder Scrolls VI. The community HATES this shit
>>
>>318116014
>Implying they don't think this was a giant success because of hilarious "SARCASM" choices
>>
>>318115678
If a game has multiple choices for VAs and they can pull it off, sure. Fucking go for it.

If it's something like FO4 where some cunt is literally reading words off a piece of paper with no emphasis on anything then it's not needed.
>>
File: 1448068513580.jpg (368 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448068513580.jpg
368 KB, 1920x1080
absofuckingloutely nay

because of voiced protag bullshit 98% of the conversations of fallout 4 are like pic related

they use the retarded two word prompts to hide the fact that it's all the same shit

>>318115678
are you saying that fucking saints row is the same as fallout? completely different genres
>>
It's tough. In general, I say yay to voiced protagonists. Voiceless protagonists are usually short hand for "we didn't care enough about the story to flesh out even the main character, so we left him silent and hope you don't notice."

But in this one specific game, the voice not only kills roleplaying, but makes every mod with protagonist dialog feel incomplete and amateurish by not including the voice. This is in the maybe one percent of games that should not have a voiced protagonist at all.
>>
>>318115678
This t.bh
Multiple VA choices for the protagonist is the way to go.
My favourite from SR3 was the voice by Robin Atkin Downes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Mj_2gC0cE

For fuck's sake, why does every protagonist VA must be a bland Troy Baker ?
>>
>quest to find some kids cat
>his voice cracks when you tell the cat to go home
Q U A L I T Y
>>
File: download (3056234).jpg (16 KB, 189x266) Image search: [Google]
download (3056234).jpg
16 KB, 189x266
>>318117316
>For fuck's sake, why does every protagonist VA must be a bland Troy Baker ?
They try and have it both ways where they have a fleshed out character, but also generic enough that the player can self-insert.

Devs need to go one way or the other fully. Either make the MC an actual, fleshed out character or leave him a complete blank slate. cutting it down the middle makes every MC these days seem like generic copy/paste jobs, almost worse than anime.
>>
>>318117528
it does? how bad does it sound
>>
>>318117528
dude that quest made me sad

i can't handle cats getting in danger or dying or shit in any media

i don't know why

i cried like a bitch in that "fantastic journey" movie or whatever it's called with the talking dog and cat when the cat fell in the river
>>
It was an interesting experiment, but it's something Bethesda will want to try again. Especially any game like Elder Scrolls with several fantasy races that can't be voiced by just a generic white guy/lady. Bethesda voice actors get a lot of shit on their plate as it is.
>>
>>318113097
Nay for sure, this gimped FO4 so fucking hard.
All I want now is an Obsidian Fallout without this bethesda bullshit.
>>
>>318113097
Welcome to the party, newfriends.

Way the fuck back in 200 (maybe 2001, but who cares) Final Fantasy X made the switch to voiced protagonists for the rest of the series. Which made role playing harder, and eventually this lead to the removal of the ability to name your MC whatever you want, or any dialogue choices at all.

The addition of voices to RPGs (of any kind) has always signified the beginning of the end.
It's now impossible to fully immerse yourself into these games and pretend that you're actually the MC (the point of role playing, FYI) and soon all forms of customization will be removed as well. Just wait, Fallout 5 will be a cinematic linear FPS with stat boosts, but still be marketed as an actual RPG.

Also: How sad is it that MGSV: TPP is a better RPG than fucking Fallout? Very sad.
>>
>>318113463
If anything that's what reddit would like
>>
>>318113948

Evil? What evil? You can be nice or sarcastically nice.
>>
File: really11.gif (875 KB, 250x231) Image search: [Google]
really11.gif
875 KB, 250x231
>>318113284
>>318113514
>>318115225
>>
It's "Yea", you cunts
>>
Nay
It's a neat idea to try and flesh out the world but ultimately all it does and drive up costs due to the fact that you now have to keep the amount of dialogue choices to a minimum just because you have to get a voice actor to say them all, and a lack of dialogue choice is pretty fucking bad in an incredibly long RPG
>>
File: 10000 suns anger.jpg (215 KB, 756x972) Image search: [Google]
10000 suns anger.jpg
215 KB, 756x972
>>318113097
>>318113097
>forced 4 dialogue whell
>perk check, stat check, faction check is gutted to force it in
>VA is not good
>no character interaction at all
>virtually add nothing to the game

This is utterly stupid, its like beth want to get Mass Effect audience but failed miserably because the game itself has different foundation. Who the fuck idea is this? Look like another peter molyneux syndrom to me
>>
Is the protagonist a self-insert character?
If yes, then none or very little v/a (i.e. grunts)
If no then dialogue MAY be given.

I say may because some games have actual characters that are better off silent like Issac from Dead Space 1.
>>
>>318118417
you could name tidus whatever you wanted, they just wrote it to where it was never said.

I wonder what they will do with TES 6, with all the races they must know that they CANNOT use just 2 voiced protags with all the races.
>>
No fucking way. I read faster than the delivery and it irritates me if I have to wait for the delivery to finish rather than just moving on to the next line.
>>
>>318119040
I was also referring to FFs since then. Like how in FFX-2, XII, XIII (and XIII-2 and 3) and now XV, you can't name the MC whatever you want, they all have distinct personalities of their own and the player gets no choice at all in any of it.
>>
>>318117316
>For fuck's sake, why does every protagonist VA must be a bland Troy Baker ?

Troy was a voice option in SR3 & 4
>>
>>318113575
Every Fallout has punished you in some way for picking the blatantly "evil" or murderboner option.
>>
>>318113097
nay, restricts dialogue in a game that's not supposed to have cinematic storytelling.
>>
If the VA was good, I guess it'd be okay. But they both sound like they barely put any effort in. It feels like my character has more personality, but you can't really insert your own personality into your character anymore. So nay.

Also the fact that Bethesda forces their own story on you instead of creating your own. Both 3 and 4 do this, but 4 is a much worse offender.
>>
Depends if the character is like Geralt and Jensen then yeah I want them voiced but if it's like a protagonist from a Bethesda game then no.
>>
>>318119040
>you could name tidus whatever you wanted, they just wrote it to where it was never said.

That was a mistake. There's no point in naming your character if no one ever acknowledges it, so why bother making it an option? Just set the name in stone and be done with it, so you don't end up with awkward situations where even the character's love interest never addresses them by name.

On the other hand, you could just remove the voice acting and do it like the old-school RPGs did. This would allow NPCs to address the player by name as well as giving writers more freedom to add more stuff.

>I wonder what they will do with TES 6, with all the races they must know that they CANNOT use just 2 voiced protags with all the races.

I wouldn't put it past Bethesda to do just that. Hell, I've seen some people worried that they'll limit you to just the human races to justify only having two player voices. I don't think they'll go that far, but then again, they did remove skills from Fallout. I don't know if there are any lines Bethesda won't cross in terms of "streamlining". Of course, I'd prefer if they didn't do a voiced protagonist at all.
>>
>>318119137
What, you don't like your emotional speeches broken up by the protagonist mumbling 'yeah' and 'uh huh' when you want to skip?
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.