[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Ys_logo.png (69 KB, 500x133) Image search: [Google]
Ys_logo.png
69 KB, 500x133
I wanna buy a Ys game and maybe get into the series. I can only buy one though. Two if one of them is cheaper than usual. Which game is the best for me to start with?

I'd rather start with something modern so I can get the best possible first impression
>>
>>318100337
Ys I&II Chronicles.

You get two games and they are the best in the series.
>>
>>318100750
I guess, if I buy this then I am also able to buy one of the modern ones. My only fear here is having to deal with the old game feeling which might not give me the best first impression, but whatever I'll try
>>
>>318100337
Play the Origins demo on Steam. THen buy Felghana.
>>
>>318100937
Ys 1+2 are good but also very old. You may not like it.

Origins is the first in the story but it's not a true Ys experience because it takes place entirely within one tower and you just go up it.

So just buy either Oath or Ark. They're both pretty good. Ark is the most recent release.
>>
>>318100937
Old RPG are the best anon.
How old are you?
>>
>>318101623
20. I just had bad experiences with those when I was young. Those damn NPCs stuck on their walking animation and leaving me wondering why someone on their right mind would program them to be stuck at the walking animation baffles me.

>>318101543
Had no idea Origins had a demo, will try. Thanks anon
>>
>>318100750
Absolutely do not do this, these games are lame at best. Attacking is done automatically by walking into enemies. The goal is to walk into their sides or backs.

Get Oath.
>>
>>318101998
Oath in felghana is the worst Ys with Ys 4.

Just because you press a button now doesn't make it more complex, the RPG aspect is still there and its a pure "Ys"
>>
>>318100337
Get Ys 1 and 2 Chronicles. They are both solid games. Ys 1 is very short, and Ys 2 longer; both have excellent soundtracks, nice stories, but simplistic game play (bumper combat where you run into enemies off-center to do damage). The combat doesn't stop the game from being good though, despite what anyone says, and it shows how much Ys has evolved.

From there on, get Origins.
>>
>>318100937
The lack of an attack button is tough to get used to, but once you do, it gets TONS better. Ys I & II are the fastest-paced Ys games, though lacking in depth, they're still extremely enjoyable. Also, don't play Origins before the first two. There's major spoilers in it.
>>
>>318101543
I'm playing the demo right now and what?

Getting to that lava boss was extremely easy, I can just spam the shield and nothing will ever beat me, but the boss itself seems extremely difficult to beat?
>>
i did
felghana>ys seven>celceta
>>
Didn't Ys games usually get -75% discounts?
>>
>>318100337
1 and 2 are great and the only ones i've beaten. I started oath yesterday and almost at the end. it's way more fun but i think everyone should start with 1 and 2.
>>
>>318101623
im going to have to agree. im strongly considering copping a turboduo and all the ys games on it
>>
>>318104772
Ys is all about bosses.
>>
>>318104772
Ys bosses are challenging but not too bad once you learn the patterns.

I don't know why they put the lava boss in the demo though, he's one of the harder/tedious bosses in the game.
>>
>>318105459
Well, I ended up beating it. The guess was to spam shield every time he was about to attack apparently. Still had like literally less than 5% of my HP bar left when I did it.

10/10 will buy Oath
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.