[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone on /v/ yesterday said cyberpunk is a meme genre Is he right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1447560578491.gif (2 MB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1447560578491.gif
2 MB, 750x750
Someone on /v/ yesterday said cyberpunk is a meme genre

Is he right?
>>
What in the blithering fuck is a "meme genre"?
>>
>>318091937
i dont know?
>>
>>318091937
>>318093018
The "------- is a meme" is a damn meme.
>>
>>318091132
Open World Survival Sims are a meme genre.

Cyberpunk needs content to be a meme genre. E.Y.E., Shadowrun and Deus Ex do not make up an entire genre. Its a niche.
>>
>>318091937
Any game you don't like but other people do.
>>
>>318091132
Steampunk is the actual meme genre while Cyberpunk has actual substance.
>>
>>318091132
Anyone who thinks calling something a "meme X" is a legitimate argument is a fucking idiot and should be ignored.
>>
>>318093492
Nice meme opinion faggot.
>>
Calling something a meme is a meme. Anyone who calls anything a meme without providing actual criticism should have their opinion ignored.

>tfw cyberpunk 2077 will not be out until at least 2017
>>
>>318093563
nice meming kid
>>
>>318093603
>2017
Try 2018 at the earliest. I wouldnt be surprised if they announced the Ciri Witcher game before CP releases.
>>
>>318093376
To be fair, the original substance that cyberpunk had hasn't really been relevant since the 80's. Some cyberpunk stuff today deals with topics like transhumanism, but a lot of other stuff just uses it as an aesthetic and is no better than steampunk.
>>
Someone on /v/ said that RTS genre was originally called "tumblr strategy games", for some reason I believe them.
>>
Half the faggots on /v/ overuse the "this thing is a meme" meme.
>>
>>318093376
Cyberpunk barely has any substance. You can count all the good cyberpunk examples on one hand. As someone who has read more cyberpunk than probably anyone ITT I feel qualified to declare that the genre is 90% crap. Most of it is just pulp trash about druggies doing drugs in space with robots walking around for fun. And even though it's blasphemy to say it, Blade Runner doesn't have substance. It's a movie about a guy hired to do a job who doesn't do that job at all and in the end the bad guys just expire like old milk. And rooftop villain speech everyone circlejerks about is just empty villain dialog covered in technobabble so it sounds futuristic. The movie has style and that's it. The plot, the characters, the ending are all garbage.
>>
>>318093227
Referring to how people call things memes in a meta way has become a meme at this point.
>>
File: file.png (66 KB, 375x281) Image search: [Google]
file.png
66 KB, 375x281
>>318093227
>>
>>318094059
Are you one of those people who dismisses anything as "genre fiction" if it isn't about nothing?
>>
>>318094059
>>318093797
I shouldve said Cyberpunk is the genre where you can actually branch out and tell compelling stories while Steampunk is almost always fantasy tropes with gizmos and sprockets.

I agree with both of you that there is more bad than good but you can say that about any genre of fiction.
>>
>>318093852
I can't even image what dark spiral of perpetual shitposting they fell into to come to that conclusion.
>>
>>318094469
You could do the same with steampunk too and it has been done. The Golden Compass series is heavy steampunk at times and it's very good too. It's just that for most people steampunk is a fashion fetish. They don't concentrate on stories they just focus on the clothing and style of the era.
>>
>>318094059
>And rooftop villain speech everyone circlejerks about is just empty villain dialog covered in technobabble so it sounds futuristic.
damn
I didn't know someone could be this wrong

to your point though, cyberpunk at its core is just high tech, low life

it's sci-fi with an added filter of urban grime and the worst parts of modern culture turned up to 11

the lack of substance is not the fault of the genre, rather, of the "pulp trash" you're reading, though if you didn't even see the value in blade runner I don't know if it's worth it
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.