[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Valvecu'cks will find a way to defend this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8
File: steam spy.png (118 KB, 1069x936) Image search: [Google]
steam spy.png
118 KB, 1069x936
Valvecu'cks will find a way to defend this.
>>
I'm sure they will be here any moment to defend this practice by a couple of random shitty devs OP.
>>
Not valve's fault but the publishers / devs.
>>
>>318080721
But valve allows it to take place on their marketspace
>>
>>318080481
Sounds like shit games I wouldn't buy anyways from devs who need money bad
>>
fucking everyone does it, and have been for years

of course it's jewish but when you have an entire country of people who don't bother looking at prices since they "know" everything will be super cheap on black friday you'd be an idiot not to take advantage of it
>>
Papa Johns did the same thing today. They offered a 30% off black friday coupon, and then raised the price of all their pizzas by $4.
>>
>>318080771
Then vote with you money and don't buy from these devs.
>>
>>318080481
I didnt buy anything, cuz it all looked like shit deals anyways.
>>
>>318080879
I doubt anyone was picking these up
>>
File: 1766760-gabe_newell[1].png (1 MB, 808x740) Image search: [Google]
1766760-gabe_newell[1].png
1 MB, 808x740
>>318080721
You know what, it is Valve's fault.
They have the capability to stop this programmatically but they haven't bothered.
>>
>>318081393
And how ?
>>
VALVE IS WORSE THAN HITLER

ROCKSTAR ARE VIDYA GODS
>>
>>318080481
thats some gay shit, but every single place does that before a sale, so, meh, dont hate the player, hate the game. you can really only combat this marketing shit by watching the prices of the things you're interested in buying
>>
>>318081485
>detect if game goes up in price just before sale
>display previous price of the game for the past 3 weeks or something
>>
>>318080481
its capitalism yo

makes sense if you want to make money and still offer nice looking discounts.
>>
>>318081587
Ho, I though you implied they should deny a dev the price change.
I that case I agree with you for the price monitoring.
>>
>>318080481
Fuck, I really wanted that Auto Dealership Tycoon. What am I going to do now, bros?
>>
>>318081107
then nothing is lost
>>
>valve is the only company that does this
Ok
>>
This is an illegal business practice in a good chunk of Europe.
>>
>>318081775
there is no good chunk of Europe
>>
>>318081775
>catering to the people who cant be bothered to evaluate a products average price before purchasing
maybe the illegal immigrants arent the problem...

>>318081878
this guy gets it
>>
this shit has been done a lot in the us
always do research b4 you buy, dont just look at the % number
>>
>>318082283
It's illegal in the UK to pull this shit.
>>
File: 2ec.png (820 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
820 KB, 600x580
>tfw PC'ucks will NEVER EVER get Bloodborne
>>
>>318082590
that doesnt mean anything, you should still know the price of the thing you want to buy. making things illegal is not how you raise the level of awareness of your people
>>
>>318081878
don't u have some donald trump cock to suck?
>>
>>318082590
it's illegal to have guns there too

now you have arabs everywhere
>>
>>318081587
>>318081707
This price monitoring already exists on third party sites
>>
>>318080771
>valve does not allow to change prices of games on their store
>HAHAH VALVE CONFIRMED FOR NAZIS PKEKS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Na. they have the freedom to change prices. We have freedom to not buy them. Don't blame valve, they're just an environment for them to sell. Blame your American goverment which cares more about money and monopolies than consumer rights.
>>
>>318081485
>>318081587
>detect if a game goes up in price
or disallow games from raising their prices AT ALL, because why the fuck would the price of a game ever go up?
>>
>>318083096
It's a distribution service. They don't set the prices or police them.
>>
>>318083029
what kind of consumer rights would forbid someone from raising their prices?
>>
>>318080481
Don't shops do this as well? I mean, isn't it such a common thing that it shouldn't be a surprise?
>>
>>318083096
That's free market you little shit.
It fixes everything.
>>
>>318080481
It's allowed because people are fucking retards who buy things that are discounted rather than judging them based on their price. They're just capitalising on the stupidity of consumers. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
>>
>>318080481
Don't be an idiot and fall for that shit.
Do some research before you shill out $30+ on something.
>>
>>318083096
Who would want to sell games in a shop that sets the prices for them?

Just like you have rights, the seller and manufacturer has rights too. IF they want to rise prices, do it, if they want to lower them, do it. Just because you're lazy, dumb and fucking stupid and fall for their shit doesn't mean everyone should suffer for your retardness.

It's allready immoral and in Europe, illegal to rise prices before sale. It's also fucking retarded to fall for it in an closely montored environment like steam.
>>
oh no so you're getting slightly less of a discount than you would have been.

be happy you get a discount at all, poorfag.
>>
>>318080481
I'm no defending this. Literally every major retailer does this. Hell, I ran a small clothing outlet for 5 years and caught on 2 years in that everyone else was doing it so I started.

The idea is, and has been proven to be true, that people simply look at discount prices or percent off without looking at the original price. Most people will not watch prices day to day/hour to hour to remember what it was a few days or hours ago.

ex. One day I had a shirt for $30 original price, sold 4. A week later I changed the shirt to 40 and marked it down 25 percent, sold 13. Same damn price.
>>
>>318080481
>memeing on twitter
Why is this allowed
>>
>>318083568
But you don't get a discount.

Did you do the math? It's the exact same price.

They can do it, but when they realize they don't get sales, they'll stop.
>>
>>318083497
>>318083219
>Who would want to sell games in a shop that sets the prices for them?
Valve isn't setting the price at all. The idea is that they just wouldn't allow a publisher/dev to easily raise the price through some automated system

>>318083312
Steam isn't the whole market. There are regularly other distribution platforms that have cheaper prices than steam. Some devs even put their games up on steam for like $5 when the game is completely free if you just go to the dev's website like that 2deep artsy game some photographer chick made years ago.
>>
>>318083948
>They can do it, but when they realize they don't get sales, they'll stop.
But they DO get sales
>>
File: chad.jpg (18 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
chad.jpg
18 KB, 600x401
>Auto Dealership Tycoon

So this is the power... of PC gaming.
>>
`>>318084063
but why would they do something like that?

All they'd be doing is going against the publisher that's literally handing them money and harming relations with them and possibly others.
>>
>>318083948

Half of $35 is $17.50, cheaper than $30
20% off shitty tycoon is $4.80, still 20c off
Epistory was the only one.

They're all shit games so why do you care
>>
>>318083234
the same which forbids companies to advertise a product on sale which only has a ridicoulous low quantity in stock.
>>
>all these communists in this thread.
No one is forcing you to buy these games. I don't even understand what your complaints are.
>>
>>318083568
>GTA V is 60 dollars
>advertises a -33% discount
>GTA V's price raises so that it is still $60, but also includes shark cards that are only for GTA online
oh wow what a deal :^)))
>>
I'll take shitty games that no one wants for 300
>>
>>318084170
Really? Could you show me where they can confirm sales?

I'm honestly interested in seeing if it works.
>>
File: 1445601343000.gif (2 MB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
1445601343000.gif
2 MB, 500x270
>>318080481
It continued to get worse, saw GTA V on sale earlier...70-80% off displaying the GTA V picture beside the discount and thought the time is right to buy this pos....click the link and only see 4 and under discounted for that price while there just being those shard cards on sale.

Valve don't give two flying monkey fucks about us their customers no more as we just lap up all their shit and beg for seconds.
>>
>>318080481
Literally EVERY single game should be free but devs just put a price on them to nickle and dime every body. They're already working a dream job making video games for a living it's absolutely retarded that they should be this greedy
>>
>>318084286
>but why would they do something like that?
They would if people raised a stink, like they did with paid mods, which would have also literally handed them AND the publisher money.
>>
>>318084503
If you're unwilling to spend $60 on GTA V, then don't spend $60 on GTA V. I don't understand why you're upset.
>>
File: gtav.png (188 KB, 621x720) Image search: [Google]
gtav.png
188 KB, 621x720
>>318084503
huh?
>>
>>318084738

hand rubbing.gif
>>
>>318084580
You don't need proof, you just need rationality. Not every single person in the entire world is going to know the game's original price point and some of them will fall prey to shit like >>318083868
>put a game on sale
>99% of people recognize that the game is actually the same price and don't buy it
>1% of people just see a game they want is "on sale"
>they now have a 1% increase in sales
>>
>>318080682
If you took basic business classes, this is a practice.
>>
File: 0741.png (46 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
0741.png
46 KB, 256x256
>>318084738

>being new
>>
File: 1401321329548.gif (1 MB, 191x200) Image search: [Google]
1401321329548.gif
1 MB, 191x200
>>318084595
>>
>>318084828
>>318084884
huh?
>>
>>318084738
He's referring to what happened during the summer sale. Rockstar also bundled it with some in game cash thing, so you couldn't refund the game since you bought it in a bundle that included in game items.
>>
>>318082798
Don't you have mudslime cock to suck?
>>
>>318084940

GTA V originally solid on PC for $40

They rose the price to $60

A day before they offered 40% off

So it was $40

Stop being a stupid ass daft immigrant illiterate fuck kebab, fuck face
>>
>>318080481
Anyone with any sense would recognize the hot deals fuck this thread and fuck everyone
>>
>>318084503
>spreading misinformation
It was bullshit, but what you said is just factually wrong.

The base version GTAV was still the same price. It was never on sale. They had a GTAV+p2w bundle on sale for the same price as the base GTAV game, and then advertised it as GTAV being on sale. Adding a bundle isn't raising the price, it's adding a bundle.
>>
>>318085093
huh?
>>
You cücks don't play video games anyway.
>>
This is not a thing that is only on steam. This happens literally every where. Car dealerships, clothing stores, walmart, etc. Every where does it. It's psychology.
>>
It's not Valve's fault. The publishers and developers have every right to raise and lower the price at their leisure. Valve should have no right to tell developers how to price their games. At the same time if you see a developer deliberately exploiting the prices then just don't buy from them. Valve has no part in this though, they're just the store front and they're not the only store that happens to. This is literally common practice in every store ever.
>>
>>318084837
it isn't falling prey to shit, the truth is ALL consumers want is a deal. The $30 price point IS a deal for the quality of the shirt I sold, I only got a 50% markup on it(most retailers will get 3-400%). Its just that simply, people do not want to see original price points and pay them. They want to feel like its a deal, no matter how much you tell them it is. Go to any outlet mall and look at their prices. Christ, Sketchers sell their shoes after discounts for nearly the same prices as the retail stores do and they laugh all the way to the bank with it.

You honestly have to blame consumers for this. Its their incessant whining for a better deal that has made the market what it is today. I no longer try to haggle, I just shop online mostly and get the best deal I can.
>>
>>318085127
I was talking about last year's summer sale bullshit, and they removed the base game so you could only buy versions bundled with shark cards you moron.
>>
>>318085661
What's the problem with that? Why would anyone buy the base game for $59.99 when you could get the base game and something extra for $59.98?

Why on earth would anyone spend a penny more to get less?
>>
pretty sure this is illegal but i forget
>>
>>318086760
Only in the EU
>>
>>318080481
The publishers/developers dictate the price you spurg, why is this a valve issue?
>>
>>318086905
Valve should display price history.
>>
>>318087008
who the fuck would read it?
>>
>>318087153
poorfags
>>
>>318085616
>You honestly have to blame consumers for this.
You might as well be blaming the child sweat shop workers in Malaysia who made those shirts for accepting such low pay instead of the people putting them to work.

If you're the one exploiting it, you're also to blame.

not that i would bother putting blame on you for doing your job, honestly, but that logic is flawed

>They want to feel like its a deal
This is what I meant they're falling prey to
>>
>>318087296
so they wouldn't buy the game that's at the end of the day still discounted from the original price?

What are they gonna do, wait another 6 months for the summer sale and get it at probably the same "great deal" it is now? If you're poor enough to be that concerned with price differences that small you should probably be pirating anyway.
>>
>>318080481
>why is that allowed
It isn't, under pretty much any first-world law (even the US). If you can offer proof fucking get a class-action going.
>>
>>318080721

it literally is Valve's fault though

its the publishers that allow Valve to do this not the other way around
>>
>>318087553
They're falling prey to their own mindset? You could say the same of every living thing ever.
>>
>>318086760
>>318086828
Price gouging is also illegal to an extent in the US, but not on frivolous shit like video games
>>
>>318080481
for the same price, people are more likely to buy a game if they see it with a higher discount. that's just how retarded americans are
>>
>>318083029
>they have the freedom to change prices
Not for a sale they don't. How about you learn some consumer protection laws before you spout your ignorant bullshit
>>
>>318082760

Not that guy, but that's the thing, the actual price should be displayed properly. There was a whole thing about shops doing this, they'd jack the price up on a product by a fuckload for a week, then "discount" it at 40% or whatever to increase sales, and the various regulatory bodies in charge of that kind of thing cracked down hard on it. It's illegal to artificially inflate a price just to "discount" it for a sale (the "original price" needs to have been consistent for x months, I forget how long, before the "discount" is applied) and the customer has to be informed of the original price, not just the discounted price.

So, theoretically, if any game has done this and is on sale in the UK, they can be... sued? Some kind of action can be taken against them. I'm not sure if it's outright illegal as in "courtroom time" or that type of illegal where they just tell you to knock that shit off.
>>
Yeah this is a shitty thing to do.

Devs and Valve need to fuck off honestly.

Also, the stores and shops that do this as well.
>>
Oh no they bumped the price up 5 whole dollars. They should go to jail those slimy fucks.

Just don't fucking buy the games.
>>
>>318080845
It actually violates a specific law about raising prices for a sale to break even with a discount.
>>
>>318087853
Except unlike every living thing we're capable of analyzing our own mindset, like the people in this thread who can see it for what it is.

Regardless, it's a deceptive business practice no matter how you look at it
>>
This is common practice in every retain outlet or store. Instead of going after Valve, go after Wal-mart or something.

People enjoy feeling like they're getting a discounting, that's why this shit goes unquestioned. The difference though is Valve doesn't have any part on the prices of the individual games so blaming Valve would be fucking stupid,
>>
>>318088270
>that type of illegal where they just tell you to knock that shit off.
It's that kind. GTAV added a shark card bundle that marked the price up, then advertised GTAV as on sale for 33% off instead of the shark card bundle.
>>
>>318080481
A local grocery store chain in my area does something similar. They keep their prices high and then alternate putting everything on sale (half the items one day, the other half the next) dropping the prices to be equal of a normal store in the area's normal prices but allowing them to advertise it as on sale.
They also give out coupons that can only be used when an item isn't on sale which achieves the same effect.
>>
>>318080481
There are anons that didn't get the PS4 premium Arkham Knight for $17 on Amazon the other day.

>tfw it's $90 full price
All this DLC plus the season pass. Fight me RS!
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.