[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should i buy Final fantasy 13 for $4.80 if i havent played any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: images (4).jpg (18 KB, 210x300) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
18 KB, 210x300
Check it amazon and they have it for $4.80

I havent played any final fantasy game, not even JRPGs

But i love RPGs like Elder scrolls, Witcher, dark souls
>>
has the pc issues been fixed yet? (intense stutter on AMD graphics cards)
>>
>>318058127
I don't know. But I do know that I have to disable some device hid interfaces fo the game to run smooth.
And btw op. It's nothing like thoes games.. The story is wonderful, gameplay can get a little repetative.. but boss battles are fun. Expect to watch a movie and then run fowared and kill a bunch of monsters and upgrade a billion skills.. I liked it. Made me cry .
>>
>>318058127
According to steam reviews that problem is in FF13 part 2 and not in part 1
>>
Do you like linear, cinematic-heavy rpg, then get it. The graphics is beautiful in my opinion. Story a bit too manga-like. Gameplay-wise, a bit boring. I dunno why, I've played older FF (II,IV,VII,IX,XII), used to love turn-based battle. But i just got bored of XIII quickly. Real time, action based, western RPG spoilt me.
>>
for that price, yes
>>
>>318057880
yes
>>
>>318057880

Despite the flack it gets, ff13 is still a solid 6.5 to 7. 5 bucks is good
>>
No just emulate a better game
>>
>>318062235
>amazon
he's a console kek
>>
>>318057880
I really enjoyed it so I would say yes but most of /v/ would say no
>>
>>318057880
Its not a very good game. Or even an okay one.
>>
>>318057880
its very linear compared to those other games.

it also aged surprisingly well for a ps3 game and looked great on my PC. not sure if they fixed anything but i had to use a mod by that guy that fixed dark souls to get higher resolution.

not sure about the the story, but the atmosphere and soundtrack is pretty fucking good. both XIII and XIII-2 i would say the atmosphere was the best thing about both games.
>>
>>318057880
Do it. It's not the best JRPG out there, far from it, but it's simple and at least is a good intro to what a jrpg is VERY basically like, and it does get more flak than it deserves. Plus it's not hard, there's a literal autobattle button so you can plug away an hour or two as you move from save point to save point without worrying about forgetting the story or gameplay.
>>
No. FF XIII will just ruin the idea of JRPGs for you. its pretty much just mashing the X button for gameplay. and its just a bad JRPG.
>>
File: CR5MOxuVEAAwlm.webm (59 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
CR5MOxuVEAAwlm.webm
59 KB, 500x374
>>318057880
No
>>
>>318063250
> Plus it's not hard
Its probably the one post NES FF game most people got stuck at because you cant grind your way out and you gotta understand paradigms.
>>
For that price it's a good deal. Soundtrack is fantastic.
>>
>>318057880

If you've never played a FF game before, you'll be more likely to enjoy it, actually
>>
>>318063269
That's pretty much most FF's except their combats end in 2-4 turns instead of 5 minutes.
>>
I have a i5-3570k OC to 4.2 and an r9 290 and I can't get a stable 60 in this game. Apparently the battle HUD completely destroys fps.
>>
File: 1437142555586.jpg (137 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
1437142555586.jpg
137 KB, 960x600
>>318063560
>>318063250

The problem in regards to the difficulty is that it's actually either suprisingly hard and tedious, or piss-easy.

The problem lies in the poorly designed tutorials, that takes 5 hours to teach you simple shit like "this is the "class" that buffs", but not giving you any real hints on how to combine your stuff.

On my first playthrough, I got stuck on (actual spoiler for OP) Barthandelus , on my second playthrough, after giving the game a second chance and really taking my time with the battle system, I managed to kill him without even staggering him.

As for OPs question, yes it's worth that price, but don't for a second think that this is what the rest of the series is like.
>>
>>318057880
absolutely yes
>>
Wait until its $5 on Steam so you get some of the fixes and Japanese voices. A large part of the problem of the original game is how horrid the English voice acting is (especially Vanille). In before weeaboo.
>>
>>318064276
Bart is the one fight most people get stuck at.
He's a DPS check and requires actual understanding of the game mechanics.

I think its because they get lazy and dont use the system properly.
What the game does a poor job at is trying to push the players to minmax shit properly, which is actually loads of fun in this game.
Its nice that even standard trash enemies have the potential to completely wipe the floor with you if you dont watch out.

Game needed better rewards for going 5star rating and more bosses needed a DOOM mechanic to keep players on their toes.
>>
Don't fall for the memes about it being trash.
It's certainly not the best FF game but I liked it a lot. It's definitely worth $4.80

It's nothing like any of those games you listed though.
>>
Level design is horrible, the corridors thing is very true
>but it opens up
For one boring area and then corridors. No towns

You can auto battle through everything but bosses quite easily. The bosses are never particularly interesting

Level up system was pointless

Characters are unlikeable, dialogue is painful

Story horribly meanders about shit all for ages and then is just kill the baddie. Also many terms are never explained so you do have to read up about them
>>
>>318065160
>You can auto battle through everything but bosses quite easily.
Bullshiet.
>>
>>318065160

I'd like to point out that both FFX and XII were also 'corridor games'. Not saying it makes the design of FFXIII justified. But people need to stop acting like it started with FFXIII.
>>
>>318065258
No it fucking isn't

The auto battle defaults to a good choice, not the most optimal but a very good one and quicker than anyone can input.

>>318065440
Who said started? And that is still a deflection

XII at least had multiple open areas with stuff to do and wasn't all just run down the path to a cutscene. You had to actually go around and explore, talk to people and get into the world.
>>
>>318065680
Still bullshit. If you dont utilize Paradigms regular enemies will eat you alive.
>>
>>318057880

For fucks sake you retard, you haven't played any JRPG and you want to start with the one you KNOW everyone hates?

Just fucking play FF7 like a non-retarded person. It's on Steam and PSN or better yet just emulate it or actually buy the original PS1 version. No excuse for playing FF13 over it.
>>
>>318065680

>XII at least had multiple open areas with stuff to do and wasn't all just run down the path to a cutscene.
Everything outside of a town is still a set corridor. The objective in those set areas just changes based on what story event or hunt quest you have activated before entering that area.

So in this way, it really was still just 'run down the path until you trigger the story cutscene, esper boss or hunt'. Adding a few different types of triggers doesn't change the fact that its a linear corridor with triggers.

>You had to actually go around and explore, talk to people and get into the world.
Not really. 90% of the people in towns could be completely ignored. And the game puts a big red arrow on the few NPCs you need to talk to.
>>
>>318057880
Play 2 instead 13 Part 1 is linear and unfun
>>
File: 1409696514266.jpg (9 KB, 261x210) Image search: [Google]
1409696514266.jpg
9 KB, 261x210
>>318066134
>starting him on the one that manages to be worse than X-2
Did this guy murder your fucking parents or something?
>>
>>318065856
Oh yeah I forgot. You switch to healing and sometimes all out inbetween mashing auto. My bad

>>318065992
>Everything outside of a town is still a set corridor.
It isn't though. They are wide open areas with sections to them. Each has a lot of different quests and stuff you can find there, thus you need to explore

You seem to be trying to redefine everything in a game to a corridor because it has function

>could be completely ignored
And that means it doesn't count? Fucking 13 apologists. Never mind you go back and fourth and all around the areas just doing the main stuff not in a fucking straight line that might have a tiny off shoot.
>>
>>318064276
>>318064745
the problem was the whole limit brake shit was unfun. Press X to do big DPS until he attack then press Y to change to guardian
>>318066232
I just thought 3 was super shit. I played for 23 hours before I met an NPC that did not try to kill me.
Giant bosses would just appear out of no where and then fly away once I "beat" them
>>
>>318057880
Nah. Its pretty awful. Music is great though.
>>
At this price just fucking buy it man.
>>
>>318067348
you could buy some food or alcohol with that money
>>
>>318066312

The areas in FFXII are not 'wide open areas'. They are zones with set boundaries, just like in FFX. They trick people like you into thinking they're open by being big. But they're not open.

The overworld in Dragon Quest VIII? One large free roaming area. The areas in FFXII? Sectioned off zones. And hell, outside of a few of them like the Steppes, the majority of them are still very linear dungeon labyrinths with only 1-2 paths.
>>
>>318067503
So lets get this straight

They are large areas you can roam about doing various tasks. They have multiple paths that lead to similar large zones. You go back and fourth between them for various tasks even if you are just doing the story

VS

An actual line that may have a bend and a tiny off shoot. You only go forward as going back is pointless

How can you not see the difference? According to you if everything is not completely open it is a line, that's retarded
>>
For that price it's certainly worth what you get. I'm just wary of recommending it to someone as their first exposure to JRPGs, as it's highly divisive.
>>
>>318067903

I'll just refer you back to my post up at >>318065992

Adding a few new objectives in the same area doesn't change it from being a set, zoned area. In my opinion, it actually makes it worse since you have to keep running into the same area 50 times doing hunts and esper quests.
>>
>>318068475
>doesn't change it from being a set, zoned area
And it doesn't change it is a large area to explore with multiple paths and not a fucking line.

> it actually makes it worse
Having the area be larger and with stuff to do makes it worse? You don't even know what you are arguing any more cause that isn't talking about if it is a line. You are just completely difficult. According to your line of thinking nearly every games is just a line, hell if an open world game gives you any sort of path no mater when it opens up that is a line
>>
>>318065992
FFXII has some of the most variety in what you can do at any time out of all of the FF games, XIII has the least. JRPGs of that kind that Final Fantasy is have never been much more linear than that, this isn't SaGa and games like that are rare.
>>
File: bv373.jpg (66 KB, 500x620) Image search: [Google]
bv373.jpg
66 KB, 500x620
>>318057880
I guess $5 is a good price. Go for it.
>mfw I bought FF13 full price

>>318067903
Is there someone in this thread arguing that FFXII is just as linear as FFX? This is why I completely ignore all FF13 fanboy posts now, FF threads are suddenly a lot more bearable.
>>
>>318068909
*nonlinear
>>
>>318068879

>And it doesn't change it is a large area to explore with multiple paths and not a fucking line.Yes it does. By having to go back to the same area dozens of times, they are reusing the area. You only 'explore' the area the amount of times it takes to find new paths. Manyof the areas you see completely the very first time. Every subsequent visit is going through the same exact area, just completing a new quest.

I don't know how you can claim this is exploration. Its just visiting the same area to do a new thing.
>>
>>318058475
Also, XIII-2 is just a shit port in general. I have a 980 and 4790k and the frames constantly fluctuate between 30-60 fps. To say anything positive of XIII, it at least stays at either 30 or 60 fps for more than 20 seconds
>>
>>318058475

The problem is in both but it affects 13-2 far more than 13, they released a mini patch for 13 some time ago that made the frame rate slightly less shit

it doesn't just affect AMD
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.