[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What rocket science books do I need to learn how to play this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: kerbal-space-program-02-700x412.png (416 KB, 700x412) Image search: [Google]
kerbal-space-program-02-700x412.png
416 KB, 700x412
What rocket science books do I need to learn how to play this game?

I literally have no idea how rockets work.
>>
git gud xd
>>
HI IM SCOTT MANLY
>>
>>318057526

But how man how the fuck do I construct a ship with no knowledge of ships?

Train and Truck simulators are easy as fuck you just drive, this you gotta know how the fucking thing works internally.
>>
>>318057639

>needing youtube videos to play a video game
>>
>>318057802
>needing a knowledge of rocket science to play a video game
>>
>tfw KSP is coming to Wii U
HOW?
>>
>>318057985

simplified version for kids
>>
>>318058029

That'd actually be really fun, I'd think.

I loved model rockets when I was a kid. Didn't know a goddamned thing about how they actually worked though - just followed directions and improvised something weird now and then.

Rockets for Kids: The Videogame is something I would've had my first jizz over.
>>
>>318057493
None, really. Just fuck around with the maneuver sliders. Oh, and make every stage bigger than the one above it.
>>
>>318057493
"How do I get a thing into space"

"Oh! Rocket engines should work!"

"Need fuel"

"Add fuel tanks!"

"It's tipping over"

"Make it symmetrical!"

This is the basic thought pattern to playing ksp for the first time.
>>
>>318057493
Watch Scott Manley's tutorials if you need some help with the game.
>>
>>318057493
there's 2 ways of getting things done in that game

trial and error
or
mods
>>
Not OP but I've been playing this game for the first time too.
Are there any tutorials that aren't really lengthy and boring?
I'm trying to land on the moon and make it back, but I can hardly fit all of the needed engines in one rocket and have enough fuel to escape the planet
>>
Everything up until the point where you are tying to make a round trip safely to Duna doesn't really require too much thought. Once you get to that point you have to think a little (or use mods)
>>
>>318061562
This.

Trial and error is MUCH more fun though and by the time you reach the interplanetary phase, you will have learned all you need to know.
Your approximations will be much more accurate and you'll get that fantastic satisfying feeling of "Aw yeah, fucking KNEW I was right!"
>>
File: 2e4cccw.jpg (42 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
2e4cccw.jpg
42 KB, 499x500
>Reading books

Just build a big rocket.
>>
>>318061692
Here's a tip: If you don't need it - ditch it. Construct a ship that will detach any part who's usefulness has expired. You don't need the entire ship to land, you dont need landing gear after you lift off and you don't need to return every damn part of the spacecraft, just the capsule.
There are a lot of tutorials and but the only ones that I would suggest are those that explain basic shipbuilding+launch and orbital rendezvous.
>>
>>318062743
Yeah I've already been detaching any dead weight, but even then its hard to escape the planet with all of the engines and stuff that are to be used later.
I'll check out some orbital rendevous tutorials, because I think that's what I need to figure out. I should be slingshotting around with gravity rather than trying to go straight out towards the moon
>>
>>318063101
>shooting straight to the moon
>>
File: 2015-08-12_00002.jpg (399 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-12_00002.jpg
399 KB, 1920x1080
>>318057639
>hi
>HI
>FUCKING HI
it's HULLO you uncultured manlet
>>
My buddy is a computer science major and he would loyally have sheets if paper with him to do orbital velocity and distance equations while playing this game. You just have to use the mass of the planet found in the forum and the mass of the space craft.
>>
>>318063265

Well Alderaan doesnt happen to be in the navsystem.
>>
>>318063101
Good luck! Once you start making ships in orbit, you'll discover a lot of new possibilities.
>>
>>318063463
Meanwhile Kerbal Engineer does that shit automatically for everyone else.
>>
Don't look up fucking videos you plebs
Learn by trial and error, that's the real fun
>>
>>318063463
>computer science
>not building his own program to calculate everything needs calculating
>using things as ancient as paper based calculations
>>
>>318063265
I know I tried it before thinking about it
>>318063496
Thanks bro. I can see this game getting pretty high on my most played list on steam
>>
>>318063656
>Using tools
>Not the sheer processing power of the brain God has given you
>>
>>318063926
Doing the same thing over and over is stupid. Teaching your stupid computer to do all the math for you shows that you have mastered the required level of math and surpassed it.
>>
I played the career mode alot until around the time I went to Duna and back. I feel it got pretty boring at that time. It was fun gaining science through discoveries and rewarding by doing something new once you progress through the tech tree.

But then farming science became easy as fuck by just having a science station orbiting a moon and it completely trivializes discovering stuff on new planets.

I may try it again sometime from scratch but banning orbiting stations for myself.
>>
File: 2QHTELA.jpg (26 KB, 315x107) Image search: [Google]
2QHTELA.jpg
26 KB, 315x107
>>318057493
I love this Mexican indie game
>>
>>318064297
Here are some of the last idea's that I managed to successfully pull off:
1) Spaceplane that can swap its engine type.
2) Hive ship - 10+ spaceships in one that will travel and explore Jool's moons.
>>
>>318064297
Then you download a bunch of realism and colonization mods and try to build a self sustaining colony on another planet.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.