[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have played most of planescape torment but dropped it after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: Planescape-torment-box.jpg (41 KB, 404x502) Image search: [Google]
Planescape-torment-box.jpg
41 KB, 404x502
I have played most of planescape torment but dropped it after getting to Ravel because I was getting rekt and the game lost it's "who are you" mystery. I don't understand all the "baldur's gate is the shit" claims that people make because I couldn't drag myself through more than an hour of it because of the aged mechanics. Is arcanum any better? I just think that d&d games have mechanics that age terribly, since I had played fallout 1 and 2 which were a great time, although I know it doesn't use the d&d system. What are your thoughts /v/? Am I the only one who owns all of these acclaimed games but can't bring myself to play them?
>>
>>318043471
A small, but vocal group advocating a subpar, meme game. Baldur's Gate is just more of the same tripe as well. In regards to Torment, the overtly flowery and verbose writing, the ugly as hell artstyle and abysmal combat turned me off. The beef jerky-faced blue guy with the scowl is comedy gold, however.
>>
>>318043471
About a dozen people circle jerk these games. There's little criticism because not many people care enough to play them.
>>
>>318043471
They are some old games that mostly aged like pure shit, regardless of what some mouthbreather in /v/ might tell you. If you can get into them they might get good, but it's going to cost you a long time.
I would save Arcanum though. I didn't finish it, but it doesn't have the horribad D&D gameplay and it ain't a book.
>>
File: 1445066302786.png (120 KB, 340x351) Image search: [Google]
1445066302786.png
120 KB, 340x351
Neo /v/ is hell.
>>
>>318044224
I really like the shadowrun series (harebrained) and I imagine I'd like arcanum as well for that reason, I'll revisit it, thanks anon.
>>
File: 7483291714_88f20666dd_z.jpg (121 KB, 628x451) Image search: [Google]
7483291714_88f20666dd_z.jpg
121 KB, 628x451
This is the /v/ you have created.
>>
File: 1446895539354.jpg (60 KB, 509x720) Image search: [Google]
1446895539354.jpg
60 KB, 509x720
I find it hilarious that this thread is just people shitting on d&d games and others with their nostalgia goggles saying "look what /v/ is now"
>>
>>318043783
My rage is through the roof. You've done it, mate. 8/10.
>>
>>318044806

>nostalgia goggles

I played Planescape: Torment a year ago, Fallout 1 and 2 around 4 years ago and Baldur's Gate a few months ago, this year. I still enjoyed all of them, some of them to the point where they're in my personal top games of all times The whole nostalgia counter argument is plain bullshit.
>>
File: 1447301782761.jpg (27 KB, 238x351) Image search: [Google]
1447301782761.jpg
27 KB, 238x351
>>318044806

>I'm unable to differentiate between nostalgia and an old-ass RPG game having mechanics that has aged badly.

It didn't age like milk, it was shit to begin with. The game's other virtues were so good it made you forget about the mechanics.

But I don't expect an underage newfag to understand this.
>>
>>318043471
> don't understand all the "baldur's gate is the shit" claims that people make because I couldn't drag myself through more than an hour of it
There is the fact that an idiot can be too dumb to realize what an idiot he is, so you not understanding the hubbub about it means nothing without context, mechanics or no(people vividly like mincraft and dwarf fortress).
>>
>>318045545
> it was shit to begin with
In a construct where mechanics are constantly evolving that is a bold claim.
Today´s cutting edge is the shit of tomorrow, and then there will be people claiming that something you like right now was shit from the start.
>>
>>318043471
If you didn't like the gameplay of BG you definitely won't like Arcanum, as the combat is actually pretty bad in it.
>>
File: salt_shaker.jpg (108 KB, 600x506) Image search: [Google]
salt_shaker.jpg
108 KB, 600x506
>>318046048
I'm not going to argue with you on this but can you explain your thinking?
>>
>>318044224
>but it's going to cost you a long time.
Literally how retarded are you?
The first game I played out of those acclaimed old school RPGs was PS:T, which is undeniably most the tough one to get into because of the combat and shit. Yet I had no problems getting into it at all (and dumb me even played the original 4 discs version on Win 7, where one half of the spells crashed the game, and a supposed "fix" stopped that but made the other half of the spells crash the game instead, no matter if I used the fix or not the boss fight in Curst was pure RNG hell of crashes).

Just because you're too much of a bitch faggot that can't handle old games doesn't mean everyone who's exactly as much of a little fuccboi as you are.

BG2 is tremendously overrated, and the combat of PS:T actually isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
>>
>>318043471
You're the wrong kind of nerd for those games, stop trying to force yourself to play them.

Just because some platformer or FPS is awesome for fans of those genres doesn't mean everyone else should play them.

Are you really so insecure that you're having a crisis over whether your taste is sufficiently trendy?
>>
>>318045435
This just means you enjoy the most recent games you played.

This is seriously an answer I once got when I said I preferred Deus Ex over Human Revolution, despite playing the original after HR.
>>
>>318046743
No I was just wondering why people enjoy these games, because I enjoy interesting and compelling stories in games, and I had heard that these would satisfy in that department.
>>
>>318046914
Do please realize that there are people out there that just like these kind of games. It doesn't diminish the fact that these games are probably not for you.

People just like these games. Like you probably like certain games. There's no deeper reasoning behind it.

Also, I see what you did there.
>>
>>318046914
Many people find that they do. With Torment, depending on how you're playing it's possible to miss a lot of the story (talk to all your party members, talk to them MORE) but it sounds like you really dislike old turn-based RPGs which is probably making the delivery method of the story unpleasant for you.
>>
>>318043471
>because of the aged mechanics.
such as?
>>
>>318046243
Planescape having bad gameplay despite having an amazing atmosphere was established way back when it came out. Imagine, if you wanted to play a caster, you couldn't for a long, long time. The movement was clunky at best, everything just slowed the gameplay down to a crawl. I just wanted to keep talking to NPCs because they were so interesting.

But to this day I don't give two fucks about the gameplay, it had the best storytelling i've seen in a video game.
>>
>>318047234
The spell and combat system in general. There are little weapons to use in the game and the classes feel unneeded because I felt have if the game wanted me to make a magic user and not a warrior or rogue. The stats are unbalanced because wisdom is obviously the best stat as it allows you to get more story memories and experience from that
>>
>>318046709
>BG2 is tremendously overrated, and the combat of PS:T actually isn't as bad
I feel literally the opposite.
>>
>>318047805
You're looking at Planescape Torment from a perspective where games have developed into these ultra intricate things where every stat has a specialized purpose and every stat should be equally important for gameplay and game progression.

Hell, I guess in 1999, developers still weren't sure what they were doing. They just rolled with what worked best and for a game heavy on story and dialogue, this is what worked best for the overall structure of the game. Beside of that you could also play this game totally different by pumping everything in strength but the focus was clearly not these kind of areas.

And yes, based on today, this should not be but that's how game development was back in the day.
>>
>>318047805
>spells
>overpowered
I think you didn't play the game
>>
>>318043471
>enjpyed fallout 1 ,2
>thinks mechanics of PST are dated

nigger, combat and level design in PST is 10x better than Og fallout.
>>
>>318047805
>The spell and combat system in general
Well, it ain't fucking Quake that's for sure. But you could use cheats so it's literally not a problem and there's mods so you can play it in HD without any damn bugs.
>>
>>318048296
I never said overpowered, but they do feel stronger than a warrior or rogue character, maybe that is why I was getting destroyed towards the end game.
>>
>>318048471
What cheats? I would like to finish the game where I am at but I can't get any save game editors to work and I am too low on resources to progress any further
>>
>>318048274
>games have developed into these ultra intricate things where every stat has a specialized purpose and every stat should be equally important for gameplay and game progression
What world do you live in?
>>
>>318048513
Not even true. Warrior is the strongest, followed by mage. Thief doesnt really fit in the game.
>>
>>318044806
I played Baldurs gate 2 and Planescape last summer and loved them. The nostalgia claims are mostly bullshit.

To be fair the dnd mechanics are outdated and when I started playing these dnd games it was difficult learning dnd mechanics. Once you understand how the dnd combat works it becomes very fun to play those games.
>>
File: 1435768087417.jpg (70 KB, 524x542) Image search: [Google]
1435768087417.jpg
70 KB, 524x542
>>318048604
>What cheats?
http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide
>>
>>318043783
>overtly flowery and verbose writing
Kind of a misuse of a overtly. Ironically your description is overly flowery and verbose too.
That said, it's not really verbose at all, there are moments, but they're rare and it generally adds to the game.
>>
>>318048614
Should.
>>
Imo, Infinity Engine games are actually the only RPGs with really good gameplay. They can be pretty strategic on higher difficulties which makes tons of fun.

The graphics are also timeless and you have a shitton of dialogue options.

>inb4 nostalgia
I just started playing these games some weeks ago.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.