[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>your character has a backstory, and a predetermined intro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 256x255
>your character has a backstory, and a predetermined intro sequence

How am I supposed to roleplay in this game again? Not even being cynical. Literally how am I supposed to get into the mindset of a character who has already been set from the start?
>>
Sometimes I pretend it's an MMO and make believe my friends are playing as the other characters, fallout 4 is great because there's always random enemies that I see as Koreans or Californians. I also like to pretend it's a permadeath game, but if I die it just never happened after restarting.
>>
>>318039910
Fallout who? I'm talking about ff7 :^)
>>
What do you think roleplaying is you stupid twat?

You play a fucking role.
>>
contrary to what you and many others think, not having character creation and a cryptic, interpretable past doesn't mean that you can't roleplay

it's just that you have a set role to play and immerse yourself in

RPG doesn't mean you get to choose the role you play, that's literally what western devs think it means though
>>
JRPG != RPG
>>
>>318039754
Acting is roleplaying.
The idea of roleplaying from a complete blank slate is some fairly new idea.
>>
>>317996804
>>318038180

Meme thread
>>
>>318040010

You didn't specify..
>>
Daily reminder JRPG =/= RPG

JRPGs are FOR THE MOST PART games with predefined character and story where you don't role play anything.
>>
I know this is bait but JRPG's are not actual RPG's. You do not create a character in this game, the entire point of character creation is that you're supposed to design the player character yourself and choose their skills, personality and appearence. FF7 has no character creation, you can only manipulate their stats through gear/items you find and levelling up.
>>
>>318040618
And that's what makes it an rpg
Leveling system, epic quest, stat based combat, status effects, inventory management, side quests, deep lore
Fallout 4 is as much an rpg as ff7
>>
>>318040957
FF7 is not a traditional RPG though. The entire point of a role playing game is that you take on a role withing a fictional world. You do this by creating a character whose skills and personality determine how they get by in said world. FF7 is not a traditional RPG in the sense that you are playing as a predetermined character who already has their own skills and personality, FF7 is more of an adventure game than an RPG. You're not roleplaying anything.
>>
>>318039754
How are the creators supposed to get into the mindset of a character who it arbitrarily determined by your own whims within a setting created by a whole bunch other people who don't know you? Having a consistent backstory means you can write meaningful content under the reasonable assumption that you know stuff about the character the player controls. This allows you to make plotpoints and development around more meaningful things which wouldn't be possible with a blank state.

Western RPGs could be much stronger if more of them dropped freeform character creation.
>>
You literally could have just posted this into that Witcher thread.
>>
>>318041176
Go fuck yourself bioware
Rpgs are primarily about stat growth and leveling up in a fantasy world usually involving magic and defeating some OP villain
Bosses are fundamental in an rpg and f4 has them
Basically you start off doing 10dmg to a boss with 300hp and you end up doing 99999dmg to the 15M hp final boss
ME3 for example is a dreadful rpg for the lack of a final boss for example
>>
>>318040957
>Fallout 4 is as much an rpg as ff7

I agree, as in both aren't much of an RPG.

Fallout 4 is an open world first person shooter with RPG elements.
>>
>>318039754
Most JRPGs have as much to do with role-playing as the typical metroidvania, and are often just as exciting to play through. In fact the only JRPG series I can think of that actually resembles what RPGs are supposed to be is the Etrian Odyssey series.
>>
File: generic characters are generic.gif (25 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
generic characters are generic.gif
25 KB, 720x720
HURR DURR
>>
>>318041512
>Rpgs are primarily about stat growth and leveling up in a fantasy world usually involving magic and defeating some OP villain

Yeah you've got no fucking clue what you're on about. There are tons of games which have levelling up and stat growth that are not RPGs. Rpg means ROLE PLAYING GAME that should be evidence enough that the entire point is to play a role. Yes I know the term has been bastardised to mean any game which involves levelling up by games media to describe a game but that is not what an rpg is.

Is Dishonoured a role playing game? Is Payday 2 a role playing game? Is XCOM a role playing games? Two of those are in fantasy worlds and involve magical/supernatural elements and you can level up in them so by your logic they're RPGs.
>>
>>318039754
It may have role playing in the genre title, but that doesn't factor into JRPGs much. It's more, you observe the characters, and then when you're at work thinking about the game you come up with your autistic OC character that you would be in that universe.
>>
>>318042125
Stat based combat is the keyword in rpgs
In those games leveling isn't the main focus, in rpgs it is
>>
>>pen and paper RPG != videogame RPG

when the people learn this
>>
>>318041176
But you are a traditional autist.
>>
This thread is more of a meme than undertale
>>
>>318042125
>Is Dishonoured a role playing game? Is Payday 2 a role playing game? Is XCOM a role playing games?
If I immerse myself in a role, then yes they are rpgs by your definition.
>>
File: Baldur's_Gate_box.png (385 KB, 407x494) Image search: [Google]
Baldur's_Gate_box.png
385 KB, 407x494
>>318039754
>>your character has a backstory, and a predetermined intro sequence
>How am I supposed to roleplay in this game again? Not even being cynical. Literally how am I supposed to get into the mindset of a character who has already been set from the start?
>>
>>318042581
Rpg's are not about stats, its about choice
its very easy to have an rpg that isn't entirely stat based
>>
>>318039754
>>318040073
Op please read this post. Rpg = role playing game. You play The role of cloud-- a merc.

You suck and I wish you never made this thread.
>>
>>318045906
Nope
It's in the stats
Otherwise a telltale game is an rpg because of choices
>>
>>318039754
If you're playing ff7, just think of it was watching an interactive 1990's anime ripoff of NGE
>>
>>318039754
>playing meme games
>>
File: Xenogears_box[1].jpg (86 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears_box[1].jpg
86 KB, 256x240
>>318046793
>interactive 1990's anime ripoff of NGE

wrong game anon
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.