[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Nintendo not release a Wii U version without this retarded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: gamepad for ants.jpg (3 KB, 143x107) Image search: [Google]
gamepad for ants.jpg
3 KB, 143x107
Why does Nintendo not release a Wii U version without this retarded gadget? I have never used this shit in a non-forced way.

They could be selling their consoles for below 149 USD making them the KING OF CHRISTMAS 2015.
>>
Good question. Most games barely even use it.
I assume it's just Nintendo being too stubborn to admit that it was a bad idea.
>>
>>318037508
Having it as a universal standard is a good thing, and you're massively overestimating its price to produce. Its maybe $10-$20 more than a standard controller for Nintendo to include in the package.
>>
>>318038185
It's not a bad idea. Navigating the menu is comfy. And having a constant map open without having to pause the game, or clutter the main screen is handy.
It is under utilized. Only game that actually incorporates it into the gameplay and story well is Fatal Frame 5.
>>
>>318038328
looking at the map on the second screen is often unnecessary since the resolution is usually high enough to display it on the same screen

I think it's still okay as optional gadget, but you can't even operate the Wii U without that thing for no good reason
>>
>>318038257
You realize the gamepad costs more than the console to produce eh?
>>
>>318038328
Occasionally it has some good uses, the best uses I've seen are with multiplayer but for most games it's pointless and does nothing but quickly drain its own battery. It would be much better as an extra accessory instead of an under utilized focus for the whole system.
>>
I liked it in xenoblade other than that yea its been pretty useless
>>
>>318037508
When you use the gamepad enough, you get used to it and "it just werks." While some games don't use it all that intuitively, the rest that do use it fairly well. Without the gamepad, the Wii U just wouldn't be the same. Splatoon super jumping would be pretty weird, pulling up a menu or something every time.
>>
>>318039184
>Splatoon super jumping would be pretty weird, pulling up a menu or something every time.
Or just assign it to buttons?
>>
ZombiU's 2 player mode uses the gamepad really well but they could have expanded on the idea so much more.
>>
>>318039023
Gamepads cost like $70 to make
>>
>>318037508
Because without that stupid tablet, all that left is a plain weak console without most third party game, playing the usual boring staple of nintendo stock games.

Literally no selling point.
>>
>>318039975
>release smash version
>no wiimote, no gamepad, no sensor bar
>pro controller only
DAT UPSMASH
>>
>>318039354
Those must be some pretty big buttons that are able to show you the entire map, all ink coverage, and the locations of all your teammates.
If it was mapped to buttons, how would you be able to determine which teammate you were jumping to in such a way that wouldnt be immensely confusing regarding where you'd jump. You have at least 4 choices at any given time of where to jump to, and the immediacy of seeing where you can go and just doing it is super important.
>>
>>318040238
>same price
>>
>>318040559
you know, the direction pad and the buttons can do a lot of things, and they can accomplish it faster than using a touch screen

do you see any advantage in introducing touch screens to 2d fighting games?

the only advantage a touch controlled interface has is that it's more intuitive and can interactively show the user how to perform a combo, in other words it's for casuals
>>
Off-TV mode is the best feature ever utilized

Also navigating streaming apps like Netflix is far more intuitive than using a controller
>>
>>318038715
I liked it in Game & Wario's, Gamer and the kirby game

other than that, yeah I havnt really used it other than using it as a portable on my bed.
>>
>>318039023
Not even remotely true. Why would you think this? I'm going to take a wild guess and say the answer is "I read it on /v/."
>>
Because some games (especially early ones) don't even allow you to start them up if you don't have the tablet controller.

It's also currently required for adding money to your account on the eShop as well as navigating the system menus and other such things.
>>
File: WWHD_1_thumb.jpg (40 KB, 563x318) Image search: [Google]
WWHD_1_thumb.jpg
40 KB, 563x318
>>318037508
>I have never used this shit in a non-forced way.
>>
>>318042751
Yeah, but that's retarded. Surely Nintendo can release a software update that allows you to use the Wiimote/Gamepad for at least the system menus.
>>
File: 1412806704742.jpg (124 KB, 598x710) Image search: [Google]
1412806704742.jpg
124 KB, 598x710
Because you literally can't go in console settings without the tablet

Piece of trash
>>
>>318042985
They could, but the games that don't work without a gamepad would still not work without a gamepad, and there's no way to add that to the boxes of games that are already out there.
>>
>>318038328
Gamecube did it well with GBA integration.

Either:
>tablet sold separately, with greater functionality
or
>next-gen DS can be connected and used as a tablet (or as a controller for virtual console games(!))
would have worked much better. But hey, it's a proof of concept thing, like the Xbone and the kinect. Sadly, Nintendo-san isn't very good at cutting their losses.
>>
File: martennis.jpg (295 KB, 648x890) Image search: [Google]
martennis.jpg
295 KB, 648x890
as much shit asthis game gets, the gamepad screen for player 2 is one of the few good points going for it.
>>
>>318043050
AKKTTUALLLY games can be updated too
>>
>>318042773
Out of all the games you've picked the remake with a perfectly usable map in the original game? You could've at least picked Wario Ware or Fatal Frame or Nintendo World!
>>
>>318043135
Yeah, I'm sure Tecmo Koei is in a huge rush to update Ken's Rage 2. Same with Ubisoft with ZombiU.

And how the fuck would you update Super Mario Maker to not use the gamepad?
>>
TV-free is the future, and to pull a Kinect with this gamepad would make the Wii U WAY worse than it is.

That gamepad is honestly the only reason I play mine, because I still have old CRTs for older games.
>>
>>318043074
>Nintendo-san isn't very good at cutting their losses

i.e., not building the fucking console infrastructure and forcing devs to shoehorn in features such that it's impossible to use without the tablet
>>
>>318038328
>it's not a bad idea
>many people cite it as the reason they won't buy the console
>nintendo prices them at ~$110
>wii u could be less than $200 if not for it
>implications
>>
>>318043171
It's not a bad pick. Selecting items and looking at the map with the gamepad screen really is the superior way to play it. I would never go back to the standard controller.
>>
I'd buy a pro controller model of Wii U if they updated the console to fully support pro controller

Console
Pro controller
Splatoon+3D World
$200

Pretty good deal, would probably get it.
>>
>>318043264
You can't even play Splatoon without the gamepad, and even if you could you'd be at a disadvantage because you can't jump to another player in multiplayer by tapping them on the map screen.
>>
>>318043171
So let me get this straight, you prefer having to pause the game, go into a separate screen made just for maps, and then actually look at the treasure charts instead of just simply looking down and checking it in realtime? Or checking your dungeon map in realtime? Or switching out items in realtime? The gamepad usage in WWHD is what I expect of any and every Zelda game that supports it now. If I can't do exactly the same as I did in WWHD in regards to inventory management and maps, then it's a huge step back.
>>
>>318043264
I could walk around my apartment building for ten minutes and find a dozen people who would take that deal immediately to buy it for Christmas. It would be the highest selling item in stores this season.
Holy shit, Nintendo fucked up bad
>>
>>318043336
Don't forget that gyro aiming makes console shooters tolerable.
>>
>>318043367
Is that worth the extra $100?
>>
>>318043336
You also don't have gyroscope aiming. You'd be at a huge disadvantage.

>>318043440
Not particularly, but since it's what we have to work with now we might as well use it that way.
>>
>>318043440
$100 is really good for what is essentially a TV made with the ideal screen size and resolution for its games.
>>
I just want to play Smash out of the box without holding a fucking tablet.
>>
>>318043587
It's the absolute loosest definition of a tablet there is. If you can't spend two seconds to realize it first-hand you may as well just go buy an iPad.

It's a really fucking comfortable and convenient controller.
>>
>>318043765
eehhh, I'd agree with you on the most part, but I hate the shoulder buttons

Triggers are aight tho
>>
>>318043765
I think it's a bit unwieldy for prolonged play and the dpad isn't suited for Super Metroid wall jumps.
>>
>>318043827
I don't find issue with the shoulder buttons, but the Z buttons annoy me because they get pressed when you lay the gamepad down.
>>318043918
Does it not support the stick? Wii U joysticks feel so good I would probably use those myself. Far as being cumbersome goes, I prefer it to having to sit at my TV.
>>
>>318043827
>but I hate the shoulder buttons
>Playing Hyrule Warriors
>Deathly afraid of hitting R with my finger on it since the slightest breeze will set the buttons off
>ZR and ZL feel like they're pretty sturdy and won't go off until you tell them to.
>>
Here's how I see it:
Gamepad is cool, and Splatoon is great.
But going in a different direction and making a genuinely less expensive console could have been a bonanzo for Nintendo. It wouldn't have given us Splatoon, but it would mean cashing in on households that are willing to spend $500 to buy two consoles.
>>
Off TV play is fantastic.
Especially when you have it setup on the main TV in the house and someone else needs to use it.
>>
Can you load cracked copies for wii u or they are still working on it ?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.