[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What ever happened to the absolute best genre in all of vidya?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
What ever happened to the absolute best genre in all of vidya?

Action-Adventure games perfectly combine the gameplay and story telling aspect of vidya that create a compelling experience, regardless if that experience is valuable in anyway, it's pure entertainment. It's atmospheric, it's exciting, it's scary, it's FUN.

What little action/adventure game's the AAA release have been trash, and the only good indie game within the genre to be released in the past five years was a remake of a 2004 game.

Whatever happened to the likes of Zelda, Terranigma, Okami, etcetera?
>>
None of them will ever beat OoT

OoT just had everything going for it, the stars aligned for that game
>>
It's by far the hardest genre to do well, and Souls is easily the best recent approximation of it.
>>
>>318036885
same as what happened to strategy games, RPGs, and stealth:

consolized FPS/action games took over the industry, and started poisoning other genres with their standardized designs.
>>
>>318036984
Sorry, bub, Majora's Mask and La-mulana are both far superior action/adventure titles.
>>
>>318036885
Zelda's once per gen. Dark souls/bloodborne does it well but thats it

Zelda u is scheduled for next year. Hold your hat its gonna be big.
>>
>>318036885
Assasin's Creed killed the genre.
>>
>>318036885

Some youtuber was really bad at 3D action adventure games, so little kiddies that rather watch other people play now hate games like this.
>>
>>318036885
Todays action adventure games are called Uncharted or Tomb Raider (reboot). As sad as it is.
>>
>>318037249
Oh man you're right. I always thought of them as TPSs, but they definitely are marketed as action adventure. That's depressing.
>>
I miss this genre a great deal. :(
>>
File: snRfP7t.png (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
snRfP7t.png
1 MB, 1280x960
>>318036885
>will never ever feel this way again
>>
They require too much effort to make. For a proper Adventure game you need to be talented and have a lot of good ideas. Same reason you dont see any good RTS anymore.

Its just so much easier to just shit out another FPS. Simply change the setting, make it open world and there you go, people will but it no matter what.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.