[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did this game fail? Is it because Sony has no iconic properties?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64
File: psasbr-ost-cover.jpg (906 KB, 1110x807) Image search: [Google]
psasbr-ost-cover.jpg
906 KB, 1110x807
Why did this game fail? Is it because Sony has no iconic properties?
>>
It was profitable tho
>>
File: 1346722413431.jpg (418 KB, 391x3798) Image search: [Google]
1346722413431.jpg
418 KB, 391x3798
no neptune, I'd have bought 10 copies otherwise even if the game plays terrible
>>
>>317969376
It was a good idea but poorly executed.

Also no Crash.
>>
>only supers can kill

If you're gonna make a smash clone, at least make it right
>>
>>317969376
playstation cast looks way more mature than nintencücks t b h
>>
>>317969376
Most of the first party characters were expected and none of the third party characters were truly iconic or hype worthy (except maybe Heihachi). The only first party character people got excited for on /v/ was Sir Daniel though. As an "All-Star" game it pretty much failed as it was evident that it was more of a way to advertise titles like Warhawk and Gravity Rush as seen in the DLC. Big Daddy and Isaac Clarke are notable but not really iconic nor synonymous with the Playstation brand. Also the gameplay was rather mundane and not really fulfilling as a fighting game. The characters have their fans yet no one bought the game because their favorite was in it (aside from Sir Daniel. everyone loves him).
>>
>>317970464
>Also no Crash.
You can tell they didn't bother including Crash or Spyro just so they could try and win us over with the sequel.
>>
c-can't wait for a potential PS4 version with that Knack thing, that dude from the Order, and two more infamous including the neon bitch as new characters
>>
>>317970771
I remember it was more like
>"No cash, no Crash"
>"No Crash, no cash"
Activision wasn't so keen on allowing Crash to be in the game just yet
>>
>>317969376
They literally threw in any and every well known character even from multiplatform games.
>>
>>317971032
which isn't much, thus the no iconic properties

which is good, no need to stick to the same character for several decades holy shit
>>
>>317970064
Those user reviews aren't real right?
>>
>>317971191
Nope, Neptune isn't in the game
>>
>>317969376
>Is it because Sony has no iconic properties?
You got the answer in your question.
Also not even cloud there for the fucks sake.
>>
>>317969376
Because no one wants Smash outside of Nintendo audience
And Nintedo audience is very different from multiplatform situation we have since mid-gen 7
>>
File: shovel_knight_kratos.0.0.png (36 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
shovel_knight_kratos.0.0.png
36 KB, 1280x720
>>317969376
>>317971306
Well Kratos WAS iconic temporarily
>>
>>317969376
Why didn't Uncharted/GoW/Bioshock/Dead Space/Infamous/Sly Cooper/Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter fans buy the game?
>>
>>317970773
Don't forget the Maiden in Black from Demon's Souls and the hunter from Bloodborne.

Actually, that would be pretty cool.
>>
>>317969376
Why is Raiden in this game?
He's avaible in Xbox Life and Steam for the exact same 20$, hes not a fucking PlayStation exclusive

And is it me or they added the EXACT SAME CHARACTER (I dont remember his name from Infamous) in the exact same banner?
>>
>>317971813
If a new PSASBR is made it's pretty much expected that a Hunter/Chosen Undead would be third party characters. And I kinda think that maybe it would increase notability and hype since Dark Souls has a thriving community
>>
>No Snake
>No Crash
>Le FUCK YOU Donte
And yet Sony implies "ALL-STARS".
>>
>>317969376

>Sony fighter
>No Snake
>No Ryu
>No Cloud Strife
>When all three have been in Smash Bros., a Nintendo fighter

Yeah, pretty much

Sony has no iconic characters
>>
>>317972047
oh yeah, also
>edgy Platinum Raiden instead of MGS2/4 Raiden
>>
File: Untitled.png (611 KB, 824x600) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
611 KB, 824x600
>>317971893
Same reason why pic related and Donte was in the game.
Promotion of upcoming titles at the time
>>
>>317969376

>No Snake
>No Cloud
>No Spyro
>No Crash
>No Sora
>A bunch of characters literally no one cares about

It was doomed from the start. And now Smash has stolen both their biggest potential crowdpleasers.
>>
>>317971893
You don't have to be exclusive, just have a major part in Playstation history
>>
File: 1444421638813.png (610 KB, 1205x1438) Image search: [Google]
1444421638813.png
610 KB, 1205x1438
>Game needs to have a roster filled with iconic characters in order to be good.

That's why Street Fighter II, KOF, and Tekken all flopped right?

The game just wasn't very good to begin with. It had problems outside of just supers and a lackluster roster. It was slow, it was unbalanced, and it was filled with bugs out the ass. The online was unplayable for the first few months. You had connection issues left and right, the game wouldn't keep track of your victories or losses in rank, the game would make you switch characters for no reason.

The game in general was a mess. To say that iconic characters or supers were the problem is just simplifying the real problems with the game.

Despite all that, I enjoyed it up until the last patch. The 2v2 mode was probably the strongest thing about this game. 1v1 is boring as shit to play and boring as shit to watch. 2v2 spiced things up and made previously low tier characters into viable partners.
>>
>>317969376
The game failed because it was bad and sony doesn't have names as big as nintendo does.
>>
It had fuck you in it
That's why
>>
>>317972273
KoF had the cast from Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting.
>>
File: Polygon_Man_Render.png (164 KB, 424x430) Image search: [Google]
Polygon_Man_Render.png
164 KB, 424x430
>This was the final boss
>>
>>317972503

2 franchises nobody fucking knew existed.

Most people know those characters from KoF.
>>
Alot of characters that should have been present weren't like crash and spyro. It also wasn't that fun
>>
>>317972508

The concept was legitimately cool.

The execution is probably the dumbest and laziest thing ever.

He should have been doing more than just sending clones.

What would have been cool is if he started reversing the entire world and the characters back generations and taking everyone down to simple polygons and textures until they were nothing more than lines.

Take you back to 0 mother fuckers.
>>
>>317972148
Platinum Raiden is nowhere near as edgy as 4 Raiden
He hams it up super hard
>>
>>317971893

Why is Sonic in Smash? He's available on 360, PS3, PC, he's not a fucking Nintendo exclusive.
>>
Sony knew that companies liked to put their characters on smash bros, thought they could do the same thing.

They couldn't.
>>
Western upstart studio not even owned by Sony, zero clout to get characters they wanted like Cloud or Dart.

If it was an internal project by one of the Japan Studio teams it could have worked. Also I think it was deeply flawed with needing supers to kill, and the supers were all shit.
>>
It was marketed badly
>>
>>317969376
This game looked ugly, like really ugly.
The characters just pop out against each other unlike Smash where they put effort to making the characters look in a unified art style while staying true to the source
>>
It's not like Nintendo is losing a sale because some D-list franchise isn't represented in the playable roster.

Or that you ever needed to make a fighting game with established characters to be successful, considering outside of mascot fighters and tie-in games they're all made of OCs.

Hell, consider out of the mainstay Nintendo heavyweights(Mario, Zelda, Pokemon), many reps are more famous for their Smash Bros. appearances than their own home franchises(e.g. Captain Falcon, Fire Emblem characters not from Awakening).

PSASBR just wasn't fun to play.
>>
Everyone was incredibly biased against it, to the point of it being as if people took it as a personal attack, no one gave it a chance.

Shit's way more balanced that smash though, hackurai wishes he could make a tierlist like this game
>>
File: le laughing jew.gif (2 MB, 388x356) Image search: [Google]
le laughing jew.gif
2 MB, 388x356
>>317973373

>This Sonypony delusion
>>
>>317970721

Mature cast =/ better game
>>
File: tips fedora.jpg (120 KB, 474x528) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.jpg
120 KB, 474x528
>>317970721
>>
>>317969376
It shouldn't have even been made unless they had permission to use Crash and Spyro. Also it was made by a new dev team with no prior experience. It should've been developed in Japan 2bh
>>
>>317969376
Lack of support from Sony
Lack of support from companies collaborating for characters
Lackluster sales

Just to name a few, it was a good game though, oh well
We will never have fun threads again for this ;_;
>>
>>317970721
As much as call of dury is a mature game.
>>
Problem is that, while Sony owns some neat franchises, they've never really bothered to push them and make them synonymous with Playstation or Sony in the same way Nintendo does with Mario and Zelda and such. Closest they came was with Kratos but he's already run out of steam, and he wasn't that strong of a character to begin with.

In addition, it's clearly trying to ride on Smash's coattails with its premise (which I honestly don't mind since it's not like Nintendo owns the concept of crossover fighters or anything like that) yet wound up replacing Smash's unique and intuitive mechanics with stuff that was just kind of weird. So people who wanted an original game avoided it because it looked like a ripoff while people who expected a Smash ripoff got something wildly different and were unhappy with that.

Tie all that together with Sony not bothering to get any good third parties, just letting other companies walk all over the developer and use the game as a platform for advertising upcoming titles, and you've a recipe for disaster.
>>
File: Kevin-Butler.png (890 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
Kevin-Butler.png
890 KB, 1280x719
>>317973184
>Player: Dear Playstation, this idiot here (points to his monitor which is on a forum) claims Sweet Tooth would beat Kratos in a fight. How ridiculous is that?
>Kevin: Well you two can settle it Mono a Mono, gladiator style
>Player:You want me to actually hurt him? Okay then
>Kevin: (Spits his coffee) No, no, no, I'm talking about Playstation All Stars Battle Royale where you can settle all your petty frustrations on fictional characters in this 4 player conflict to see who is top dog. And why stop it with just Kratos and Sweet Tooth? There's also fan favorites like Cole Macgrath, Ratchet and Clank, Parappa the Raper, and Jak and Daxter.
>Player: I'm still going to hurt him
>Kevin: Well that's stupid, then you will miss out on a good game while in prison.
>>
>>317972581

If you were actually alive at the time, you would be aware all SNK fighters were iconic in the arcades as alternates to SF2. Especially in Japon
>>
>>317973875
>Problem is that, while Sony owns some neat franchises, they've never really bothered to push them and make them synonymous with Playstation or Sony in the same way Nintendo does with Mario and Zelda and such. Closest they came was with Kratos but he's already run out of steam, and he wasn't that strong of a character to begin with.

Because they milk the hell out of most of their franchises.

If they release an IP that is profitable you are going to see 3 games in 5 years at least, until it's no longer that profitable, then they drop it.

Look at patapon.
>>
File: Untitled.png (421 KB, 772x470) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
421 KB, 772x470
>>317970721
>Smash 4's Final boss is a embodiment of chaos and destruction
>PSASBR's Final boss is a floating head that brags
>>
>>317972273
>That's why Street Fighter II, KOF, and Tekken all flopped right?
Except for half of the KOF roster, none of those games were advertised as featuring iconic characters. They only became iconic after the fact.
>>
File: PLAYSTATIONALLSTARS_img01.png (360 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
PLAYSTATIONALLSTARS_img01.png
360 KB, 650x366
>This is the original cancelled roster
Thoughts?
http://playstationallstars.wikia.com/wiki/Characters
>>
Because it was western. Imagine if any of the japs had their way.

We could've gotten a Final Fantasy rep, a Souls rep, a Legend of Dragoon rep, a Digaea rep, at least something from Team Ico and maybe a little more effort thrown in for the super mechanic. Shit, maybe it would've been better if it wasn't about Supers and more about ringout.

I mean it's not like they weren't trying to capitalize on Smash's success because they obviously fucking were. Well shit, might as well go all out and copy the whole smash formula instead of trying to take it apart and call it their own. It would've been a better game too. And it would've been called a smash clone with or without it.
>>
>>317972508
funfact:This is the original psx mascot design before they opted to cut him because it would make children cry
>>
>>317974048
Pretty much, it's kind of the opposite of Nintendo's treatment of franchises. Obviously they milk their largest ones but even Mario doesn't get a new platformer every year, and things like new Pokemon gens or console Zeldas are more of a "once-a-generation" thing.

>>317974179
I actually like that they referenced something from Playstation's past. Master Core was just weird.
>>
>>317971893
There's good Cole Macgrath and Evil Cole Macgrath
>>
>>317969376
Well gameplay/mechanics sucks and devtime was probably under 2 years on rush with some quick marketing deals to represent. I mean Big Daddy and fucking Dante from DmC.. If it was going to be a smash clone anyway, I wish they had taken more time and love into it. I wish they could do another PROPER one.
>>
>>317974569
>>317974549
>"I remember walking onto the E3 booth in 1995 with Ken and seeing the Polygon Man design on the side of the booth. Ken just went absolutely insane," said Harrison. Kutaragi was upset that SCEA was spending its limited budget on an alternative brand. "But the thing that really upset Ken was that the Polygon Man design wasn’t Gouraud shaded, it was flat shaded! So Polygon Man was taken out into the car park and quietly shot."[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon_Man
>>
>>317971184
>which is good, no need to stick to the same character for several decades holy shit

*tips...in fact no
>>
File: 15452280731_084e9541eb_b.jpg (70 KB, 818x459) Image search: [Google]
15452280731_084e9541eb_b.jpg
70 KB, 818x459
>>317974387

>Blasto
>Loco Roco
Master Onion
>Buzz
>Ellen
>Just one Cole
>Chimera rep
>Fat Princess Knights
>Nefarious

Better than what we got.

I don't know why Fat Princess was a character. It should have just been the knights, since you actually fucking play as them in the game.

That's still missing a shit ton of characters with better character designs and abilities that would have been far more interesting.

Picture related.
>>
>>317973251
This. One thing Smash Bros really nails is the unified aesthetic. Every character looks like they could be from the same game, even though it's a crossover from dozens of franchises. It's something that Capcom also did pretty well with Marvel VS Capcom 3. With Playstation All Stars they just threw the models into the game without considering how characters like Spike or Parrapa would clash with Nathan Drake or Donte. They didn't put any thought into it, and the game looks ugly as a result.

That and the gameplay is horrible. There's no way to die except for being hit with a super, but that just means that getting hit by 99% of all attacks is meaningless. You gain meter on a successful hit but since there aren't really any combos it's not like you can hitconfirm into a super for a guaranteed kill. This lead to a lot of boring scenarios in which it would be me and a friend just dodging around each other when we had meter, but not really caring if we got hit with any other attack.
>>
>>317974759
>Better than what we got.

For hardcore playstation fans, maybe.

Now go ahead and check what the biggest sellers of playstation systems are, it might make more sense for you that way.
>>
>>317974776
Even Capcom attempted to make Cole fit in Street FighterXTekken's artstyle
>>
Maybe its something to do with how Sony treats their own franchises and they always tend to give them an expiration date despite people liking them.

Remember all those Carmelita pics done by furfags?,that pedo art of Yumi and the amount of emos who play LBP?, thats how you know those IP's were loved but for some reason, Sony always throws them away to the garbage and pretend they dont exist
>>
>>317974759
No one knows, cares or remembers Vibri anon. She would've been a really great Mr. Game & Watch-like character seeing as she's the oldest when it comes to PS-All Stars.
>>
>>317975078
I prefer such a treatment of IPs than endless rehashing for decades.
>>
>>317974776
>They didn't put any thought into it, and the game looks ugly as a result.
In other words, it's a "professionally made" MUGEN hackjob.
>>
>>317974759
>Vib Ribbon
Mah Nigga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B65n78YLtA
>>
Gameplay is shit compared to the game they're ripping off. I'd have bought it if it were even on the level of fucking brawl, but it's not.
>>
>During a Q&A session at Comic-Con, the developers of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale were asked who they’d like to see in the game that they have no chance of getting. The developers revealed that, if they had the option, they’d want Nintendo mascot Super Mario to be a part of Sony’s upcoming brawler.
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/17/playstation-all-stars-developers-want-super-mario-to-join-sonys-brawler/
>>
>>317975229
I didnt mean like rehashing like we see it with Mario or COD, i meant like keep them alive for a while and giving it some sort of waiting gap between titles so the games could have more polish and efort rather than either milk it like Ape Escape or killing it like MediEvil
>>
>>317974776
What could they really do though? Making Spike and Parappa realistic would look horrible. Making Kratos and gang cartoony would look horrible.

Smash did the same thing with Snake. If they changed Snake or the other characters to "fit in", it would look like shit.
>>
>>317969376
Bad timing.

I think a Battle Royale 2 with Bloodborne, FF15, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last Guardian/Shadow of the Colossus, Gravity Rush, Kingdom Hearts, Nier, etc would do really well. Get rid of most of the non-exclusive characters or at least don't focus on them.
>>
>>317971184
Why fix something that isn't broken?
>>
>>317973184
This trailer was pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiGYlbvHcDM
>>
The game lacked characters that actually defined the PS1.

Such as Snake Klonoa Crash Spyro Cloud.
>>
>>317969376
>tying KOs to specials and specials only was retarded
>pretty much ruined the entire game
>roster was shit
>no classics like Solid Snake, Cloud, Sephiroth, Lara Croft, OG Dante
>bunch of characters no one really asked for like Big Daddy, who were only really in for advertising
>generic aesthetics, like a shitty generic OST, boring art style
Maybe if they made another one that fixed all these problems, it'd be good.
>>
>>317975480
OR or... look up throught other old PS titles that werent in the game
>>
>>317974776
>since there aren't really any combos

Confirmed for never playing the game, or not being good enough.

If anything there are too many combos - or at least too many moves that lead to easy confirms/braindead comcos.
>>
>>317975459
I don't know, making Ike, Mega Man, Pikachu and Kirby look like they could all work together in the same game wasn't easy either, but they managed.
>>
>>317975480
>>317975637
And also unfuck the "you can only get killed by supers" mechanic.

Better yet, throw it out, because it doesn't fucking work.
>>
>>317969376
The Roster was weak, although some of the PS1 characters were nice.
Could have done with more relevant third-parties.
Classic guests over upcoming ones.
Not pulling the plug after 3 months. (I'm still mad about Abe.)

Supers needed rebalancing across the board, characters were just straight up objectively better on all fronts than others.

Game system had no real penalty for taking damage, so if you could dodge supers there was no reason to not always be in the fray.

Certain characters slow the game's pace to a crawl with campy projectiles and poor close-range combat.

The fighting itself had a nice weight to it, and had potential, but was executed poorly.

Arcade mode should have had full cutscenes for the beginning and ends, not just the rival scenes.

Rival scenes were a fantastic idea, even if the matchups were fucking retarded. (Smash should definitely do something similar.)

Roster should have had multiple reps for each series, then the whole Good/Evil Cole thing could have been negated by having the asian chick from Infamous 2 or something.
>>
>>317975637
Nobody cares about old, obscure ps1 characters. It's not like Nintendo where their franchises have lasted from NES to Wii U.
>>
I would of kept playing if the knockout system was not so unbalanced and unfun.

Characters like Kratos are no effort when it comes to fighting AND easy finishers. Then you have characters that need to have their opponent a very specific distance and height from them in order to kill them.
>>
Let's construct a roster that wouldnt have sucked
> crash bandicoot
> spyro
> sly cooper
> snake
> jak and daxter
> toomba
> gex
> cloud
> lara croft
>>
File: Avatar_zeus_1.png (244 KB, 480x444) Image search: [Google]
244 KB, 480x444
>>317975891
GoW had both Kratos and Zeus
>>
>>317975909
Both companies handle their own IP's in diferent ways, Ninendo keeps them alive for eternity which is why everyone knows them but that doesnt even people who knew these PS1 games are dead
>>
File: Brendan.jpg (743 KB, 1126x1091) Image search: [Google]
Brendan.jpg
743 KB, 1126x1091
>>317975459
>Making Kratos and gang cartoony would look horrible.

HOW ABOUT NOT HAVING FUCKING EDGELORD MURDERMEN AND TACTICOOL SOLDERS IN A CHILDRENS FIGHTING GAME.

Faggots didn't seem to think of that did they?

Cast should have just been Parappa, Crash, Rayman, Sly, etc. all the cartoon platform heroes.

The second i saw a generic Helghast and Big daddy were playable i just quit, lost all interest.
>>
>>317975989
You're still forgetting other characters likeDaniel, Spike, Ratchet and Parappa
>>
File: Avatar_colonel_radec_1.png (244 KB, 480x444) Image search: [Google]
244 KB, 480x444
>>317976089
>Generic Helghast
>>
>>317975989
Why Gex? Gex sucked then and if he were alive he'd probably still suck now.
>>
Because Sony's first party IP's apart from medieval and god of war lack any sort of visual finesse or charm or just stand out

Nintendo has a red and blue plumber, a green elf with a sword and shield and a yellow rat which shoots electricity.

Microsoft has a green space soldier with a glowing orange visor, muscly toads with sunglasses and now a small illuminating white rabbit.

Sony have had, a man in a dirty shirt and jeans, a man in a dirty shirt and jeans, Ellen Paige and a small brown sack.
>>
>>317976184
I said "lets construct."

And yes those are excellent additions
>>
>>317976060
That works too, I'm saying we should have had more.

Give me Carmelita for Sly, Give me Lammy for Parappa, Give me Azimuth for Ratchet, Trish for DMC, Snake for MGS, it's all there.
>>
>>317976313

>Sony have had, a man in a dirty shirt and jeans, a man in a dirty shirt and jeans, Ellen Paige and a small brown sack.

Hahahaha

True
>>
>>317976313
Sony also had a cute doll from a world made of cardboard, an innocent 10 year old who saves the world from crazy monkeys, a raccoon thieve whit cool gadgets and even a fucking friendly skeleton
>>
File: dumb idiot gay frog loser.png (94 KB, 596x595) Image search: [Google]
dumb idiot gay frog loser.png
94 KB, 596x595
>Used to play the game all the time with a friend when it came out
>It wasn't really great but wasn't that awful
>Online was pretty fun
>Was pretty good in ranked matches as Spike

I recently started playing it again just out of boredness. People still play but it's filled with Kratos and Dante shitters using the edgy alt colors.
>>
>>317972273
>sony allstars doesn't need to have sony allstars
>>
>>317976313
The issue is, whenever Sony try to push mascot characters, it fails miserably.

Need I remind you of Move Heroes?
>>
>>317976313
very one sided but still made me laugh

don't forget le evil killzone man
>>
>>317975989
Just take the old roster, trim the third parties and dark Cole, toss in some third parties actually associated with Sony (Solid Snake, Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot, maybe a Grand Theft Auto or other Rockstar character, etc), and then maybe add some other classic Sony characters that are kind of forgotten, like Alundra, Lemmings, Q*bert, stuff like that
>>
UNTIL DAWN CHARACTER WHEN?
>>
>>317976474
Ne trashing edgemasters with a colorful 90s characters.
>>
>>317976547
Move heroes didnt fail because of the mascots in it, it failed because when people wanted a R&C,J&K and SC crossover, they werent expecting it to be an ad for a wii remote rip off, if you look closely, you will see that those mascots come from games that become series
>>
File: 2313-oddworld-006-nylts.jpg (74 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2313-oddworld-006-nylts.jpg
74 KB, 1024x768
>>317976620
You mean like the one who was cut for DLC?
>>
>>317976089
>Not wanting Sweet Tooth in a Playstation crossover
>>
>>317976620
Sam Gideon from Vanquish and Papa Nier.
>>
File: maro_and_luge.png (398 KB, 1000x769) Image search: [Google]
maro_and_luge.png
398 KB, 1000x769
>>317976313
kek
>>
>>317976718
It's a terrible game as well, which was more my point.
>>
>>317976620
>Q*bert
>sony character
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-20-04-40-37.png (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-20-04-40-37.png
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>317976918
But he is though

He'd be a great addition
>>
>>317976918
He is, technically. He was owned by Columbia originally, then Sony bought Columbia.
>>
File: 1444124758979.png (118 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1444124758979.png
118 KB, 400x400
>>317976305
>>
>>317977180
Do I need to get the review scores out?
>>
>>317977147
HAHAHAHA
>>
>>317976918
Get with the times grandpa.
>>
>>317977235
>reviews
They were mediocre at best, but I loved the character and the charm the game had.
I miss the variety in gaming characters today.
>>
>>317977235
>not liking 90s the character:the game
>>
>>317970064
WHO THE FUCK IS NEPTUNE gets me, everytime.
>>
>>317976313
Microsoft is also annoyingly sitting on some fucking great IP's and did nothing with them until Mattrick got the boot
>>
>>317977484
That would be Duke Nukem
>>
>>317977484
I like the character, but the gameplay was shit.
>>
>>317977235
>Not playing it yourself.

Gex 2 and 3 were the shit

Danny john jules is god
>>
File: 1445289930399.jpg (86 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1445289930399.jpg
86 KB, 600x600
REMINDER
>>
>>317977551
>Duke
>90s
He's a 80s action movie character rip-off
>>
Its because they DIDN'T use their iconic properties. And rather than make their own fighting game they blatantly ripped off Nintendo in the most shameless way possible. I guarentee if they advertised the game with Spyro and Crash everyone would have fucking bought the thing.
>>
>>317969451
literally any garbage sony shits out is
>>
File: Reviews.png (49 KB, 422x217) Image search: [Google]
Reviews.png
49 KB, 422x217
>>317977235

>Reviews
>>
>>317977728
Le nostalgiacoot is getting fucking annoying now.

The more Sony does some half arsed pandering with grey dualshocks and #memories, the more it feels like they're trying to distract me from their contemporary issues.
>>
>>317977992
this pretty much, there's only so much blue balls nostalgia you can take without seeing right through it
>>
>>317977728
I'm getting tired of this shit. We're getting a new Crash game or not?
>>
>>317969376
>tfw its biggest problem was that sony forgot about so many games, and should have made deals.

I feel like this game must have been made on a really weak budget with a really weak timeframe.
>>
>>317976543

You should worry about having a good game first
>>
>>317977990
It was shit, have you even played it?
>>
>>317969376
if I had to describe the game mechanics it would have to be "floaty". it's just kind of slow paced and SSB gets the formula down much better
>>
>>317977992
>>317978124
>>317978163
>what is Sonys marketing tactics since 2013?

The Last of Us, Order 1886 and Until Dawn is neo-sony, if you like that shit go ahead, but don't buy into this nostalgia bait if you don't.
>>
>>317977728
This is getting stupid now. Shit, even when MS dangles around Battletoads helplessly, they feature them in fleshed out cameos and they actually own the IP.
>>
>>317978470
>>317978470

I played all 3 unlike your baiting ass.

They were quality platformers. Nothing revolutionary but if you were a fan of the genre you couldn't go wrong with the Gex games.

You want a shit platformer? Play Bug!
>>
>>317979086
>Play Bug!
Or Plok.
>>
File: 1441687757835.png (121 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
1441687757835.png
121 KB, 275x183
>>317978163
I have a theory anon.

Yooka-Laylee is coming out next year.
While its a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie, it is still a 3D Platformer.

IF this game sells well, and the gaming industry sees that 3D Platformers are still relevant outside of Nintendo, they will experiment with this genre more.
Hell, I would expect Microsoft to attempt their own Banjo Kazooie game, seeing as though they own the rights. What confuses me about Microsoft, is that they purchased Rareware, used Banjo only ONCE Nuts n Bolts, and we know how that went, and still havent been experimenting with his franchise. They KNOW how big of a following the Banjo Kazooie franchise has, yet they dont try to utilize that popularity? It doesnt make sense.

So back to the point:
If this game sells well, and due to the development team's significance in gaming history, other companies hopefully the big ones will actually use their mascots.

But I dont expect this to happen.
At least an anon can dream, right?
>>
File: plok.jpg (27 KB, 300x412) Image search: [Google]
plok.jpg
27 KB, 300x412
>>317979162
>Or Plok.

>Plok
>Shit

What the hell is with all this bad taste in this thread?
>>
>>317979346
Plok was a stupid as fuck, same with Aero the Acro-Bat, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, Zool and Cool Spot.

COOL FUCKING SPOT.
>>
File: Cloud_SSB4_temporary.jpg (4 MB, 5120x5120) Image search: [Google]
Cloud_SSB4_temporary.jpg
4 MB, 5120x5120
just makes Cloud that much more of a coup for Nintendo

now he's in Smash Bros. The face most people associate to the Playstation is in the Nintendo All-Star game
>>
>>317979467
Zool and Plok and James Pond and Voodoo Vince would fuck you big time
>>
>>317979551
If they were so cool then why they failed?
>>
>>317979479
I will laugh all the way to the bank if MS buys Silent Hills on top of that

Ah fuck it Sony won the gen in sales might as well have some fun
>>
>>317969376
No iconic franchises to who? Just because you're a nintendo babby who doesn't know any of the characters doesn't mean they aren't iconic in their own realm.
>>
>>317979873
This. its like how people think Master Chief or Gordon Freeman are the faces of FPS when the actual first characters of the genre are BJ and Doomguy
>>
>>317979873
Yes

Fat Princess and Donte are

Iconic

True gaming symbols

I only bought this game because of fat princess and Donte
>>
>>317979191
I'm fully expecting more Rare franchises to come back with Spencer on board. Mattrick didn't know shit about video games and didn't give a fuck about owning major franchises.

Only wrinkle is that Rare seems to only want to do new franchises, so they'd likely have to find another dev to do the job like they did with Killer Instinct.
>>
>>317980043
Yes

Ness and Ice Climbers are

Iconic

True gaming symbols

I only bought Smash because of Ness and Ice Climbers

Faggot.
>>
>>317969376
Because it felt like every IP featured was grabbed from Sonys bargain bin

The game is literally "From the producers who saw Super Smash Brothers"
>>
>>317980217
I really think you underestimate how revered Earthbound is.

Was the PS2 your first console?
>>
>>317980296
>Every Sony ip ever made despite Sony still coming up with new ones and thise ips having sequels because i dont know how to the internet

Do i have to show you all those gross Carmelita images to show how much people liked SC?
>>
>>317980296
Except Donkey Xote was actually good.
>>
File: tumblr_lnw50yKIYO1qlhoglo1_500.jpg (106 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lnw50yKIYO1qlhoglo1_500.jpg
106 KB, 500x647
>>317979873

I'm getting sick of this "MUH ICONIC ROSTER" argument.

But at the same time, Superbot dropped the ball by not including more older Playstation characters like Dart, Alundra, Vib Ribbon, Gabe Logan, Ribbot and so on and so forth.

This really should have been the title to show off the diversity and history of the Playstation brand. Instead we got 2 Coles, Isaac, Zeus, Big Daddy, and Space Django from the game that flopped hard.
>>
>>317979873
Why didn't GoW, Infamous, and Uncharted fans buy the game?
>>
>>317980064
>BATTLETOADS by Ubisoft Montpellier

they're the good ones go read
>>
>>317980489
>PSAB trailer
>they show Alundra
>Nintendrones jump into the internet screaming "LINK CLONE LINK CLONE!"
>>
>>317980514
Because people buy those games for the graphics and the cinematic effects, they don't give a shit about the characters.
>>
>>317980396
It's all subjective though. It's like, I don't keep up with Football, I don't know any football players or who the most important football guy is. That doesn't mean they aren't important in their own right.
>>
>>317980217
Except Ness is iconic to a significant portion of enthusiasts you stupid cunt.
>>
>>317969376
>Game developed by an indie company

There's your answer, it's like smash were developed by indies
>>
>>317980758

And I wouldn't give a single shit
>>
>>317980217
>ness

If a real mother 4 starring ness got announced, I can guarantee the shockwaves would be phenomenal compared to a fat princess sequel
>>
>>317980843
>to a significant portion of enthusiasts
To a bunch of retards who pay over 300 obamas because EARTHBOUND IT'S THE RAREST SUPER NINTENDO GAME IN THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD!
>>
>>317980514
>why didn't people who buy game buy other completely different game because character from game is in it?
>>
>>317980396
>>317980843

Earthbound flopped. The game got its status far later and Ness only became a known character until after Smash Bros.
>>
>>317969376
I know little about this game other than the consensus that it's fucking awful

But what are it's good ideas? Things you think it does well, maybe better than Smash even?

The two I know off the bat (from a lot of people here) are:

>Stage hazard toggle
>Respawn invincibility additionally ends once you first attack
>>
>>317980217
EB was and still is, a major cult classic though, to the point where it's practically iconic.

And even then, the Mother series was huge in Japan.
>>
>>317981053
Really? This just seems like Sony brand loyalty faggotry.

I have no trouble saying SoTC is a classic, I have no trouble saying Phantom Dust is a classic, are you that loyal to a console that you'll just blindly shit on anything that's not on it?
>>
>>317979479
>Toriyama will still use emo Cloud look in the remake
>>
>>317980843
And I'm a PlayStation enthusiast and I find characters such as Sackboy, PaRappa, Kratos, and Nathan Drake to be iconic PlayStation characters.
>>
>>317981240

2v2 online with another online friend.

You can only do 2v2 online with a friend if you play on the same console.

The online in general was better organized in Smash. A few simple toggles and you're on your way.

Smash 4 needs you to go through various different sub sections to play a specific game mode with a set of rules.
>>
>>317981139
reminder, don't reply to falseflaggers
>>
>>317981053
>That sinking feeling when you realise neo-/v/ is a reality
>>
>>317981321
Years ago you could buy an Eartbound cart for 30 bucks if not less, now there's retards who pay over 200 for one game. Blame the retro-game boom for that.
>>
>>317975480
KH isn't exclusive anymore.
>>
>>317980217
>Ness is iconic

...yes?
>>
>>317981445
He's literally not wrong though, you retarded Nintendofag. PEOPLE DONT KNOW THAT CAPTAIN FALCON ISNT FROM SMASH BROS, PEOPLE DONT KNOW THAT YOU DONT PLAY AS ZELDA IN THE LEGEND OF ZELDA

YES IM MAD
>>
>>317981768
I think you misunderstood that anon.
>>
>>317981740
No, he really isn't. Not any more so than Nathan Drake and you're kidding yourself if you believe otherwise. I love Nintendo games but goddamn I hate Nintendofags. Try other video games, you might actually like them. Don't get your opinions from /v/ because /v/ is retarded.
>>
>>317976646

Fucking this. Give me Josh as a character please.
>>
>>317981768
Yes if you're a soccer mom or normie with absolutely no interest in video games.

Even light gamers know he's called "Link"

Sackboy still isn't taking the world by storm.
>>
>>317969376

That's like asking why WoW clones failed. You cloned a very popular game, doing everything you could to ape them precisely. Sadly, the userbase of the game you cloned is entrenched, and you didn't have any other ideas but to try and steal some of their users for a short term prophet.

Sony got what they deserved. At least they were smart enough to push the task of shoveling out this shit to a third party developer and tie their bonuses to the game's sales.
>>
you guys keep arguing about Ness and Ice Climbers but who cares? They're like the least iconic characters in Smash Bros. Where exactly would Raiden or Kratos, the two most iconic characters in PSASBR, rank in Smash Bros? I mean right now Smash Bros has 56 characters. Who do they follow? Greninja? Lucina? Dr. Mario? You're making a false equivalence to a game with fucking Mario, Link, and Pikachu in it.
>>
>>317981053
/v/'s officially voted worst fanbase everyone.
>>
>>317982017
>Sackboy isn't taking the world by storm
>Ness is
I think it's the horribly blatant double standards that piss me off when talking to Nintenofags.
>>
It's because it was an exact copy of Smash
>>
>>317969376
No one gives a fuck about any of the characters. They should've made a new cast of interesting unique characters and created a brand new fandom, rather than using boring fucks and literally whos who'll never have a large fan following.

The game would've been better if every character was new.
>>
File: csvpwfouuh0salmeiku6.jpg (506 KB, 640x597) Image search: [Google]
csvpwfouuh0salmeiku6.jpg
506 KB, 640x597
>>317969376

IT WASN'T A KART RACER
>>
>>317982186
Who would have guessed that a bunch of fat autistic manchildren who only play Nintendo games don't like other fan bases.
>>
File: 1351031894926.gif (1 MB, 346x261) Image search: [Google]
1351031894926.gif
1 MB, 346x261
>People seriously implying Earthbound was well received and sold well when it was first released

The game was too expensive and the original reviews weren't so hot. The marketing campaign was also terrible. Nintendo themselves admitted that the game was a flop. Why are you guys pretending that Ness was hot shit before Smash? It was Smash that brought him into the public eye and later lead to his game getting recognition.

>All told, Nintendo sold less than 150,000 copies of Earthbound. Those players who did take the plunge found a game full of endearing characters, ridiculous jokes and bizarre situations written by popular Japanese writer Shigesato Itoi. As with all cult classics, EarthBound‘s reputation took a while to develop. Today, you have to spend upwards of $150 to buy an original cartridge on eBay (and much more if you want the strategy guide and box).

>WIRED: How did you feel when EarthBound was first released and didn’t sell well?

>Marcus Lindblom: The sales were definitely disappointing. But I wasn’t really surprised for a couple of reasons. The first thing was the price of the game. By including the strategy guide in the box, which I felt was a great guide and one I’m very happy with, the cost of the game needed to be higher. For a game that hadn’t established an audience, it was an expensive proposition for lots of gamers.

>The second issue, which became apparent when the reviews started to come in, was the graphics. In those days of the Super NES and the Sega Genesis, sophisticated graphics were becoming a key feature, as Sega emphasized the speed of the Sonic the Hedgehog games, and Nintendo followed with “Mode 7″ graphics and the Super FX chip, used in games like Star Fox to render 3-D visuals.

http://www.wired.com/2013/07/marcus-lindblom-earthbound/all/
>>
File: ALLSTARS-GOD HAND.png (203 KB, 680x543) Image search: [Google]
ALLSTARS-GOD HAND.png
203 KB, 680x543
My biggest gripe with the roster will always be the lack of RPG characters, considering how important those where for the PS brand is shitty that they couldn't pick anybody from that genre.

The rest of the selection is fine with enough characters representing each era of each console.
>>
>>317981957
What does your post have to do with how iconic Ness is?
I mean he's pretty iconic and with things like Undertale and Lisa he's getting a little more well known among the new generation when they look for the origins or any info about these games.
>>
>>317982285
You.
You don't give a fuck about any of the characters. You have never owned a PlayStation.
>>
>>317982217
I literally never mentioned Ness in there? What the fuck is wrong with you weird loyalists christ, jts videogames
>>
>>317981139
It was a big deal in Japan, at least.

That said, calling Ness iconic and saying Parappa or Kratos isn't is dumb as shit.
>>
>>317982285
>who will never have a large fan following

Maybe because they already have?
>>
>>317982424
Seriously? You're gonna cite Undertale and Lisa? Kill yourself.
>>
>>317982028

This, the first time i heard about this game i had a mixture of laugh and cringe.
>>
>>317982353
>Big Boss riding a cardboard tank
>>
>>317969376
shitty character list

they couldn't even give us real Dante

and two Coles? fuck off.

not to mention that they didn't bother to do anything really cool with the characters. it's all just so... meh.
>>
>>317982502
>THIS IS A GENUINE POST

>THIS IS NOT A PHOTOSHOP YOU ARE LOOKING AT, I REPEAT, THIS IS A REAL POST
>>
>>317982557
>two popular indie games inspired by earthbound
>grouped together with earthbound
>>
>>317982393
>The rest of the selection is fine with enough characters representing each era of each console.

No, no it was not. PS1 barely got any representation. PS2 was just the core 3. The rest of the roster was PS3 shit and shit they can advertise.
>>
>>317976313
should've been /thread here

did anyone post Mario+MC+Bobby?
>>
>>317982502
And that's this whole thread. And that's why I'm so mad. These people come in here, shit post about games they'll never play on consoles they'll never own and act like they're an authority on the subject.
>>
Its mostly because people were sperging on how it would be a ssb ripoff that sony had to make their game around not being smash instead of making a fun game
>>
>>317982695
>PS1 barely got any representation

It had Spike, Parappa, Dan, Toro and ST, even if its only 5 characters
>>
not having characters like snake or spyro or crash in the roster is like nintendo trying to make smash without mario or pikachu. that's the meat and potatoes of the problem
>>
>>317972148
This got me thinking, does MGS2 Raiden appear in any game other than MGS4?
>>
>>317979873

People have a bias against Nintendo characters, not only here but everywhere.

And obviously Smash has helped them, the only reason people care about the kid from undermeme-snes 2 is because he has been on every Smash, same reason why Samus and Fox arent in the trash bin.
>>
>>317982887
When weighed against the rest of the roster that's a pretty big chunk.
>>
>>317982887

That's simply not enough given the many more that were left out.

It sure as hell doesn't help out that Spike and Sweet Tooth are based off their most recent designs and don't even have classic alts.
>>
>>317982926
How funny would it be if Spyro or Crash got into Smash?
>>
>>317982935
Other than MGS2*
Way to fuck my own post.
>>
>>317969376
It failed because it didn't follow the Sony's strict ABAP policy.

If they had developed Def Jam Bros. instead, it would've been BALLIN'
>>
>>317982871
Maybe they shouldve just not made Smash

Like they shouldnt have spent three entire IP's trying to find the Halo killer

Then marketing Driveclub as a Forza killer

Remember on that cover of 40 winks with the "Move over Mario..." tagline that everyone finds fucking hilarious?

That's a dangerous amount of Sony IP's personified
>>
>>317982992
Who was left out that Sony owns? I think it is so unfair to rail on Sony for not having muh crash and muh spyroo when they never owned either one in the first place. It's not like Activision will ever sell them back.
>>
>>317972581
>Fatal Fury
>Art of Fighting
>2 franchises nobody fucking knew existed.

Underage or you never put a foot on arcades by early-mid 90´s
>>
File: 1444418978531.png (626 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1444418978531.png
626 KB, 1600x1200
>>317969376

They copycatted Smash Bros without understanding why Smash Bros is a success.

>>317970721

I wish this was sarcasm, but I have a feeling you genuinely believe this.
>>
>>317982962
>Samus and Fox

Okay, you're confirmed to be a deluded faggot
>>
>>317983136
Sony's linked to third parties, always has been. If they want to make a "Playstation All-Stars", they need to shell out the money to get characters people associate with the Playstation
>>
Again, it doesn't matters how popular the IP is if people don't give a shit about the characters, Nathan Drake and Kratos which come from the most popular Sony IP are expendable, hell with GoW many people want a new protagonist since Kratos has gotten quite stale a while ago. Gran Turismo which is the biggest Sony IP it's not character centric.

Hell even a character from Splatoon (a recent but less popular IP) would sell more copies of a fighting game than the previous games mentioned. People love the characters, they draw tons of fanart of them, the merchandise sells quickly, etc.
>>
File: 1332833318739.gif (361 KB, 190x190) Image search: [Google]
1332833318739.gif
361 KB, 190x190
>>317983136

>Who was left out that Sony owns?

I never cried for Crash or Spyro. This thread already list a bunch. Pay attention.
>>
>>317983183

What, i literally said that the only reason why both of them aren't already forgotten is because they are in Smash.
>>
>>317982673
What, do you really think Ness is bigger than Kratos? Do you really think Parappa wasn't pretty damn popular at a time?
>>
>>317978271
>You should worry about having a good game first

Smash didn't
>>
>>317983180
No, they were gonna go the whole 9 yards but shitposting like you forced them to try and put a shitty spin on it.
>AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH THEY LITERALLY COPIED SMASH BROS SONY CONFIRMED SHIT KEK
>game comes out
>Why isn't this more like Smash?
>>
>>317975459
>Smash did the same thing with Snake
Except they did it backwards. Everyone was suddenly wearing realistic clothes.
>>
>>317983287
>hell with GoW many people want a new protagonist since Kratos has gotten quite stale a while ago
I've played GoW 1, 2, and 3 and I've always hated Kratos. Kratos is a big selfish baby asshole. His gameplay would have to be out of this world fun for me to main him on a Smash clone
>>
>>317983273
I associate most of characters they picked with PlayStation
>>
>>317970064
This
>>
>>317975459
Colors and lighting
>>
>>317983469
I associate most of the characters they picked with the trash bin. It'd be like the equivalent of Smash 64 having that Indian that general Custer raped up against a cactus in that one 8 bit game (which, knowing my luck, probably wasn't on the NES)
>>
>>317982962
>People have a bias against Nintendo characters,
I don't think you know what bias means.
Especially when people with no clue about video games know who characters like Samus and Fox are because they were everywhere during during the 80s and 90s. That said they have fallen out of popularity on the west recently but are still more memorable than certain others.
Ness now, he got a lot more popular later on while he was booming in the east.

Anyway, Sony could have used Cloud at the very least. He's just as iconic as the others
But that's why he's in smash now.
>>
>>317979479
>The face most people associate to the Playstation
>Cloud

The idiots of course, since every person know Cloud is a character that belongs to Square and not to Sony.
>>
>>317983353
A Mother game starring Ness as the protagonist

A GoW sequel starring Kratos as the protagonist

If they were both announced on the same day, in your heart of hearts, what do you think people will be discussing more by a wide margin?
>>
>>317983637
since when does the face of the console need to be owned by the company that made the console
>>
>>317983594
So you haven't had a PlayStation since the PlayStation 1?
>>
>>317983594
Custer's Revenge on the Atari 2600
>>
>>317980217
>Ness and Ice Climbers are
>not iconic

Underage detected
>>
>>317983594
Atari 2600, so it'd be like the Big Daddy character.
>>
>>317982263
But the fact that it's not an exact copy of Smash is why it's fucking horrible.
>>
>>317983637
>Sony exclusive game up until the remake announcement
>implying anyone said anything of ownership
>>
>>317983737
if you want the truth I've only owned a PS2, 3, and 4. Most of the characters they have on there are nobodies and if I do know them, nobody I'd want to play (except Heihachi of course, but he alone isn't enough)
>>
Even if you dont know the roster, couldnt you atleast get some time to know these characters?, i mean, there's Spike who's a cute 10 year old who saves the world, there's Kat who's a beautiful super hero girl and then there's Daniel who's a friendly skeleton
>>
>>317983729
Ness no question because he hasn't had a game in decades. It's not even remotely similar.
>>
>>317972235
Then why the Big Daddy from Bioshock? That was a timed exclusive for Xbox
>>
>>317983729
Thisssss

Sony just doesn't have that love and attachment around its IP's apart from Neogaf

People only buy them for the multiplats. Even Bloodborne isnt as big of a selling point as Halo or Mario is, its shit like CoD and Fifa
>>
>>317983752
Ice Climbers only have one game and a bunch of re-releases.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.