[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just want to say, that to all you idiots out there who think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
I just want to say, that to all you idiots out there who think "Gaming is bigger and better than ever before!" and go around saying things like "Nostalgia goggles! XD", you're fucking wrong.

Look at games on the SNES, such as Super Mario RPG, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Kirby Super Star, Donkey Kong Country trilogy, Super Castlevania IV, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X trilogy, etc. These are just off the top of my head, and I'm just scratching the surface. And on top of that, this is just one console.

These games provide a deeper, more varied gameplay experience than anything offered today. No long ass tutorials over-explaining the gameplay mechanics of a piss-easy game. No cinematic bullshit. No non-vidya bullshit. No gimmicks. Just pure, quality gaming.

All of the games I listed are 8/10+, and many are solid 10s. 10/10 games used to be a monthly thing, not a bi-yearly thing. Now gaming is just all about graphics. You shitheads look at something with really bland, unimaginative gameplay like The Last of Us and you call it the "Citizen Kane of gaming". Shitty pretentious cutscenes constantly interrupting the boring-anyway gameplay. It's just stupid. And I'm not just complaining about this one shitty game, that's how most games are now. Look at Skyrim for example; another game worshiped by the masses, yet it fucking sucked. It was so boring. Look at all the GTA rehashes, look at the constant CoD rehashes. These games are boring. They're not fun. They're not engaging in any way.

And I know people will respond to this saying "I'M 47 YEARS OLD AND I THINK IT'S BETTER SO UR RONG XD", you're just lying to yourself and being a contrarian. You don't want to be seen as that guy who thinks the stuff from his generation is the best. I'm content to just admit that the 90's were better. It's not nostalgia. It's not because those were the games I played when I was a kid. It's because the GAMEPLAY WAS FUCKING BETTER.
>>
Okay cool pasta here's your reply 10/10 epic thread
>>
>>317755171
>cool pasta
>everything I disagree with is just a copy pasta!
Is this how people on /v/ debate now? I literally just typed all of this, so it's not a copypasta.
>>
My dad is the grand high ultimagus of Nintendo and I can confirm this
>>
>>317756378
I never said I disagreed, it just reads like pasta

I do agree

nice pasta btw
>>
I like cinematics. A good game has some cutscenes to go along with it.
>>
You're completely right, anon.
>>
>>317754991
>Super Mario RPG
Opinion discarded.
That game is maximum nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>317754991
Agreed. What I wouldn't give to have that kind of quality these days.
>>
>>317754991
Sorry dude, if you like old things better than new things it means you're a nostalgiafag. Reddit told me so.
>>
>>317756753

Nah. It's pretty fun. I downloaded it and a romhack of it a couple months ago and played both for the first time and man, great game.

Sure its easy, but games don't necessarily need to be difficult to be great experiences.
>>
>>317754991
I don't get why Skyrim is the scapegoat for modern gaming.
I played that game for hundreds of hours vanilla and never got bored.
>>
>>317756753
I just replayed it a few days ago and it still stands up to this day. It is a solid 9/10.
>>
>Cherry Picking
Sorry games today can't cater to your fucking standards
>>
>>317757174
Did you start playing games when the xbox 360 came out?
>>
>>317757257

I love every game he mentioned and yeah, its not like the SNES didn't have its share of turds.
>>
>>317757318
No but I did have it on the 360
>>
>>317757174
Skyrim is really boring. Compare it to something like Fallout: New Vegas. This is a good comparison because they're similar but FO:NV is better in every significant way.

I could write a fucking novel about this but I'll just make one argument instead - Look at all the different kinds of characters you can create in FO:NV, then look at your options in Skyrim. Because of the level scaling, all of your choices are arbitrary and there are so many boring, passive stat boosts, rather than genuinely adding something new to your character (consider perks like slayer, shotgun surgeon, implant GRX, etc.)
>>
tl;dr
>>
>>317757678
I owned both games and enjoyed Skyrim more. Hell I liked FO3 better than New Vegas.
>>
>>317754991

I think there are just as many good games this generation as well. Gaming is just very stagnant right now, but that doesn't mean the games aren't good. I think it's much more difficult to come up with original ideas since almost everything has been attempted and innovating isn't as easy as it was back then. As opposed to innovating in gameplay, developers have to innovate with technology, and if technology doesn't develop, then it's much more difficult for developers to come up with ways to make innovative titles.

I think the "too many tutorials" is an invalid point as well because of how much more complex games are now. I agree that games tend to hold your hand, but gaming has a much broader audience now so they have to teach people who have never played a game in their life before how to play. It's not like the SNES where everything is pretty much self-explanatory.

I could list a bunch of games from the last generation that are amazing (360, PS3, Wii). Gears of War trilogy, Bayonetta, Halo 3/Reach, Xenoblade Chronicles, MGR, Mario Galaxy 1&2, Souls series, BioShock series, Assassin's Creed 2, Mass Effect trilogy, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Battlefield Bad Company 2/Battlefield 3, Uncharted trilogy. I could keep going. Maybe these games aren't your thing, but don't pretend like these games aren't good or aren't classics like the games you mentioned.

Games aren't bad nowadays despite what people say. The shitty thing this generation is the business side of things which leaves a sour taste in your mouth. Maybe you'll enjoy gaming more if you ignore that shit.
>>
>>317757968

I enjoyed Skyrim for what it was. The characters were bland, the story was weak and the endgame boss even weaker, the music was pretty good as always.

Tom lied about the AI for the Dragons, but Dragon encounters were still fun.

I broke the game by using a Bow+Conjuration build on accident. It was fun at first, but yeah, was stupid easy even on Master difficulty and I did every bit of content I could.

That said, i didn't really enjoy it more than other Bethesda games or any other game series I really enjoy. It was pretty much a "filler" game for me much like something Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu was. Just something to play in between other game releases.
>>
>>317757257
>>Cherry Picking
>>317757423
>its not like the SNES didn't have its share of turds.
Bad games mean nothing. If a console has 100 really good games, and 1,000,000 really bad ones, you just avoid the bad ones and play the good ones. Consoles are defined by their good games.

It would be like saying that I can't enjoy Earthbound because of Captain Novalin. They are two completely different experiences, so I don't see why I'm obligated to think about shitty games just to remind myself that the console isn't perfect when I'm playing Earthbound.

Also, keep in mind, this is used as an excuse by little kids to say that the consoles they like are defined by their good games but the consoles they don't like are clearly defined by bad games and shovelware.
>>
>>317756753
that game is unironically hilarious. i caught myself just smiling like an idiot a couple times when i replayed it recently.
also the juxtaposition of the Mario setting with the usual Square magic shit is really interesting
>>
>>317758582

Well I mean, I love Sonic Blast Man and Sonic Blast Man II to death anon. I personally believe they rank with those games OP mentioned.

That said, other people don't seem to think so. I have noticed that the 2nd game's price keeps climbing every month and its a tad strange.
>>
>>317754991
Super Mario RPG was fun but it wasn't incredibly deep and looking back, it wasn't that fun.

Honest opinion, I remember it because I had to rent it THREE TIMES to complete it.
>>
File: 1448272309565.jpg (47 KB, 562x465) Image search: [Google]
1448272309565.jpg
47 KB, 562x465
>>317758996
>Super Mario RPG was fun
>it wasn't that fun
>>
>>317756753

Nope, it's still great as it ever was. The graphics, gameplay and music are timeless as fuck.
>>
>>317754991
Games within most of the series you listed are just as good as they ever were.
>10/10 games used to be a monthly thing, not a bi-yearly thing.
Sounds like a broken scale to me.
>>
>These games provide a deeper, more varied gameplay experience than anything offered today
Maybe you should stop playing western AAA dogshit and play the actually good games that get released.
>>
File: ohgollyjeefaggot.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
ohgollyjeefaggot.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>317758996

>I had to rent it three times
>>
>>317758582
>only the good games count; bad ones don't!
That is, by definition, cherrypicking.
>>
>>317759060
/that/ fun. fag.
>>
>>317759060
Those aren't contradictory statements.
>>
>>317754991
> 2/3 are 2D platformers
>These games provide a deeper, more varied gameplay experience than anything offered today.
If you say so buddy
>>
I completely agree, but it's not just games, it's the whole generation which does not understand anything.

Truly, this is a dark age.

I also don't understand where the idea that games are more popular today is from. It's just a dumbed-down audience. 99% of things that existed in the last generation are being neglected because people only know how to listen to Miley Cyrus fart through their 'smart'-phones 24/7 now.
>>
>>317754991
>10/10 games used to be a monthly thing
This is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. Go on, give me 24 continuos months with 10/10 releases.
>>
>>317754991
>nintendo fags so desperate for former glory they have to to keep bringing up games from 20 years ago

lmao
>>
>>317759579
>99% of things that existed in the last generation are being neglected because people only know how to listen to Miley Cyrus fart through their 'smart'-phones 24/7 now.
This stuff began in the 80s with Madonna, Back to the Future, and the like.
Things really aren't different, and the things that ARE can be traced pretty directly to such roots.
>>
I agree that SNES was one of the best consoles ever (possibly even the best), but I still don't see any point in crying over how current day vidya is shit as there are still more good games than I have time to play.
>>
Quick question, do you think long ass tutorials exist because no one ever reads the instruction manual? They barely even exist anymore!
>>
>>317758339
>I think there are just as many good games this generation as well. Gaming is just very stagnant right now
But people have been using this excuse for years. When are there going to be some new, good games, and why should I act like it's just as good when it isn't happening?
>I think the "too many tutorials" is an invalid point as well because of how much more complex games are now.
You what mate? Modern games are way easier and simpler than ever before, and they give you these really long tutorials like you don't understand it or something. Compare this to old games which had a lot of cryptic stuff and more advanced gameplay (think things such as character customization options in old RPGs, learning to wall-kick / the "noob tube" in Super Metroid, etc.) yet they gave you no tutorial - yet people still managed to beat those games. We just don't need these shitty tutorials and they're actually making people stupider. No wonder kids are so obsessed with games like Minecraft and Angry Birds; they're fucking dumb and aren't developing personalities and taste because of all this nannyism in all aspects of their life. Even in their entertainment.
>I agree that games tend to hold your hand, but gaming has a much broader audience now so they have to teach people who have never played a game in their life before how to play.
Games were better when they made games for gamers; sequels would assume that the player had played the previous entries to the series, and were the logical next step in difficulty and progression of gameplay concepts. I think even non-gamers ultimately appreciated these kinds of games more, and frankly, if they don't play the games or really care about them, then why ruin games for the real fans by toning it down and making it easy enough for any idiot to beat it?
>don't pretend like these games aren't good or aren't classics like the games you mentioned.
A few are good but I certainly don't see them as "classics".
>>
Mega Drive was better desu senpai
>>
>>317760035
If you need a manual to play anything but strategy or complex RPG games, then you are a complete moron.
>>
>>317754991
Int eh ninedies with had nintendo.
>>
File: myman.jpg (35 KB, 480x453) Image search: [Google]
myman.jpg
35 KB, 480x453
>>317754991

quality post OP, too bad it's thanksgiving holiday and /v/ is flooded with middle-school cawadoodoo fuccbois who never played anything before Gamecube/PS2/Xbox (if that)

SMRPG is my favorite game of all time, and you're dead-on with your commentary. keep fighting the good fight nigga
>>
File: totaltrash.jpg (40 KB, 499x497) Image search: [Google]
totaltrash.jpg
40 KB, 499x497
>>317756753
kill yourself and take your shit opinions with you
>>
>>317754991
10/10s were not a monthly thing. SNES does have a fantastic library though.
>>
>>317760035
In game tutorials were a natural progression. Manuals are nice but a relic from when video games were more rudimentary.

A sinful way of making a game however is having tutorial levels as part of the normal game, padding the game length and wasting players time.

A good way to do it is like NecroDancer or Half Life 1. Completely optional, accessible from the main menu, doesn't detract from the game if you don't play it.
>>
File: ulysses favorite book.jpg (21 KB, 220x365) Image search: [Google]
ulysses favorite book.jpg
21 KB, 220x365
>>317759824
>all culture is derived from the culture I grew up in

Every fucking time.
>>
I'll agree with you because I'm a cynical bastard

>>317756753
go back to neogaf
>>
>>317759382
It's really annoying how you think you've called me out on some fallacy. I mean sorry, but I'm not going to start thinking about bad games when I'm playing a good game, just to remind myself that the console's library isn't perfect - which is actually an implied strawman argument on your part, because I never thought that anyway, and I don't need this reminder.

Your whole argument is based on this assumption that I think in the same way you do; like I sort games in relevance to their "consoles" instead of looking at them as individual experiences of their own.

I see why you think it's cherry picking, but it's really not. That's not how the term is used. It would be cherry picking if I said "The SNES is the best console of all time and had no games, and these games prove it:" and then listed those games.
>>
>>317760445
You're stupid. I didn't grow up with it, and I'm not saying there aren't telltale signs from before, but that was a serious shift in the way people consumed media.
>>
Its because gaming belongs to the japanese and a select few western devs. Western devs were never meant to be the forefront of the gaming industry, gaming is a esoteric niche hobby and like all niche hobbies only the japanese can do it correctly.
>>
>>317759673
>Go on, give me 24 continuos months with 10/10 releases.
You say this like it's something that couldn't be done. Rather, nobody will bother with fulfilling your arbitrary standard and then you'll think you had a good point because of it.
>>
>>317754991
I agree with you to a certain point.

But i do feel that the mario and luigi rpg games for DS/3Ds are better in everyway than snes mario rpg
>>
I'd rather play games like Gunstar Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Rocket Knight, Probotector, Castlevania The New Generation, Mercs, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, Toejam and Earl, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Mega Man Wily Wars, Shining Force, Story of Thor, Alien Soldier, and Ecco the Dolphin.
>>
fallout 4 alone is better than all those games combined and it's not even the best game to come out this year
>>
>>317760651
No, fuck you. Do I really need to drag up examples of moral panic concerning Elvis' suggestive hip gyration?
>>
>>317760035
Speaking from experience, I never read the manual in older games either. Not even in games where "you have to read the manual" such as Zelda 1 - yet I still beat it.

Hm, how did that happen? Didn't I need a long explanation of how to use the sword when I got it, instead of simply pressing buttons and figuring out how to use it? How did I possibly ever manage to beat that game without an annoying tutorial explaining simple game mechanics?
>>
>>317760862

Gunstar Heroes alone is worth having a genesis
>>
>>317760892
That's some high tier shit taste you got there
>>
>>317759824
They have the roots there, but that's the 1%. Well, probably more than 1%, but still. Like >>317758582 suggested, things can be judged by what's best about them. Trash is everywhere, gold isn't. It is different now because gold didn't just exist, it flourished and was tolerated. Now, all sorts of plebeian forces in every branch of life keep any gold that is fortunately produced out of the lime-light due to their own jealousy.

In other words, even if Mario and Call of Duty both became popular for stupid reasons (which is arguable anyway), it is a fact clear to everyone that Call of Duty and similar games pander to and leech off plebeian taste more than Mario games ever did. If you go in any public multiplayer game, you'll see a barbaric conformity to degenerate ideas which did not exist earlier, even if the degenerates themselves did exist.
>>
>>317760640
>It's really annoying how you think you've called me out on some fallacy.
Yes, it's called cherrypicking.

>I'm not going to start thinking about bad games when I'm playing a good game
I wouldn't expect you to, but following that logic, ALL consoles should be equally good because there are still good games coming out. If you're only measuring by the peaks, then nothing has changed, since there still ARE good games coming out.
>I see why you think it's cherry picking, but it's really not.
Cherrypicking:
>selectively choose (the most beneficial items) from what is available.
Which is literally what you're doing, saying it's the best console because of the good games because the bad games don't count.
>>
>>317760862

Gunstar Heroes alone is worth having a genesis

SNES is still GOAT, but Gunstar Heroes is gaming perfection.
>>
>>317757678
> Obsidrones
I'd love to see that novel, because Skyrim and Fallout NV had the same kind of level scaling while Slayer, Shotgun Surgeon are literary stat boosts while Impant mechanical just give you free turbo.
>>
>>317760035
I think they exist for two reasons. To be able to practice with what ever the game is teaching you and if you some how loose the manual, get the game used without a manual, or pirate it, you have something to fall back on.

Hell, isn't that half the reason manuals are now built in the game disc/cartridge?
>>
>>317760951
So you didn't even know what my point was. Perfect.
I wasn't speaking of the moral landscape, I was speaking of the density of media. Going back to one of my first examples, Back to the Future has been called "one of the most merchandised films in history", and it's certainly not because it was more historically popular than other films.
>>
>>317760862

you're a good man cyborg but you forgot something

https://youtu.be/oTQIiIKummw
>>
>>317761010
The most popular things appeal to the masses? Gosh, who would've thought! Film, music, and prose are also all completely dead, aren't they?
>>
>>317761005
>>317761108
I prefer the Mega Drive library by far. I'm not into JRPGs and the better ones (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Mario RPG, and Earthbound) were never released in PAL regions. SNES only had better platformers and RPGs but it still had a decent library. Super Metroid is probably the best game on the system.
>>
When you've got games like System Shock, Deus Ex (2000 i know), Panzer Dragoon Saga, Chromo Trigger, Fallout, Mario RPG, OOT, MGS, RE2 and SOTN among others, you know the 90's were better
>>
>>317761418

SNES arguably had better beat em ups. At least to me.

And yes, Super Metroid is the best game on the system period.
>>
>>317761015
>I wouldn't expect you to, but following that logic, ALL consoles should be equally good because there are still good games coming out.
The irony is astounding. You think the ratio of good games matters and not the number of good games.

To you, a console with 1 good game and 0 bad games is more desirable than a console with 100 good games and 1,000 bad games. Look at that 100% good game ratio of the former console, clearly it's better!

>Which is literally what you're doing, saying it's the best console
Strawman. Never said that. You don't care and still think you have a good point.
>>
>>317760178

>When are there going to be new good games
See my examples.

>Modern games are easier
The difficulty is easier, yes, but things like control schemes are not easier. You know, the really basic shit that someone who has been gaming since the 90's doesn't really think about but someone who is new to gaming has no fucking clue what to do.

>Games made for gamers
What the fuck does this even mean? This sounds like the headline to a shitty Kotaku article. Are there movies for movie-goers? Books for readers? Everyone can be considered a "gamer".

>I don't see them as classics
Did you view the games you played as "classics"? If you say yes, you're fucking lying. When I was a little bitch ass kid playing Super Mario World I wasn't like "WOW WHAT A CLASSIC!". I was just having fun with it.

The issue with gaming these days is that people think too fucking much about it and for some reason have to validate their reason for not liking a game. Maybe you just don't like a game? You don't need to shit on the current generation just because you don't like it.

You really do sound like a nostalgiafag. Your entire argument is "The old games were just better!"
>>
>>317758762
>that game is unironically hilarious. i caught myself just smiling like an idiot a couple times when i replayed it recently.
same here.

i love the characters, but i also love the world. they did a great job.
>>
>>317761603
I much prefer Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, and Two Crude Dudes to Fatal Fury. I can't think of any other SNES beat em ups.
>>
>>317761539
Agreed, though there are a few modern classics like CoD4, Arkham series, and The witcher games for example, the 90s crushes overall.
>>
Ehh, Mario RPG is okay. I cant get past the purple dinosaur guy, but the parts I have played were pretty good.
>>
>>317761804
um TMNT4? The genesis does though have a better selection of beat em ups

>>317761916
It gets way better after that
>>
>>317761192
We've had this argument millions of times, from the emergence of television to the emergence of radio to the proliferation of written language. Put a sock in it, Socrates.
>>
>>317761159
>Skyrim and Fallout NV had the same kind of level scaling
Guess that's why Fallout NV has deathclaws that will kill you in 1 hit at lower levels, and you need to level up in order to combat them effectively - Whereas Skyrim could be beaten at low level because of its level scaling.
>while Slayer, Shotgun Surgeon are literary stat boosts
I like how you ignored their actual effects. Making you punch 30% faster isn't significant to you? Just because it also gives you some passive stat benefits on top of that doesn't mean it isn't a significant perk. And shotgun surgeon knocks enemies down with shotguns, a fact which you ignored to focus on the passive stat benefits it might give in order to "prove" your point. I'm going to be ignoring your responses to this because of your blatant intellectual dishonesty. The only purpose of this post is to prove you wrong.
>while Impant mechanical just give you free turbo.
Oh yeah it "just" gives you 10 things that basically make you invincible for a short period of time every single day. That's clearly not much better than a passive stat boost.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbAh3QIZP7o
Was he actually Wario?
>overweight
>wearing the strength hat power-up from Wario Land
>red nose
>>
>>317761804

Ninja Warriors, Rushin' Beat Shura, Turtles in Time, Sonic Blast Man 2, Double Dragon/Battletoads, Knights of the Round, King of Dragons, and Final Fight 3 eclipse just about everything on the Genesis for me bar Golden Axe 2.

I like Streets of Rage but i dunno, I felt the other games were better. No shame in liking all of them, I guess.
>>
>>317761996
Every TMNT game feels slow after playing the arcade game, even the Mega Drive one. The SNES cpu only has a clock speed of around 3mhz, it doesn't really suit beat em ups well.
>>
>>317762185
never played the arcade ones, could try emulating them though.

>>317762167
could be
>>
>>317762185

This is true.

Still, the SNES version is worth it for the extra content.
>>
>>317756378

>debate
>on /v/

who are you trying to kid. we both know you're just going to respond to every disagreeing post with childish insults and meme shitposts. that's how things always end up going around here.

that said, I think the recent M&L games have surpassed SMRPG, ALBW is every bit as good as LttP, and plenty of indie games these days have the same charm that Metroid, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger etc had. fight me
>>
>>317762401
those indie games just aren't as memorable. Though i do agree with ALBW being as good if not better.
>>
>>317761634
>The difficulty is easier, yes, but things like control schemes are not easier. You know, the really basic shit that someone who has been gaming since the 90's doesn't really think about but someone who is new to gaming has no fucking clue what to do.
Again, games should be made for gamers and not designed for babies who don't even like video games. The goal of the game should be to make a good game, not to make a casual experience that can be completed by literally anyone because it's so simple and easy.
>What the fuck does this even mean?
The fact that you would even ask this shows that you don't play many games. You can't think of any games that were clearly designed for advanced players and not just designed so any idiot can beat them?
>Did you view the games you played as "classics"? If you say yes, you're fucking lying. When I was a little bitch ass kid playing Super Mario World I wasn't like "WOW WHAT A CLASSIC!". I was just having fun with it.
I didn't think in those terms when I was a kid, but if I play a modern game, sometimes when playing it I realize that it's going to be a classic and it's something I'll want to replay throughout the years. In other words, it has nothing to do with not being able to see that it's a classic now, they're just not classics.
>The issue with gaming these days is that people think too fucking much about it and for some reason have to validate their reason for not liking a game. Maybe you just don't like a game? You don't need to shit on the current generation just because you don't like it.
So you turn it into a bad thing that I can articulate exactly what I like and dislike about games? You sound like someone who just can't handle the banter and can't stand to see something you like criticized.
>You really do sound like a nostalgiafag. Your entire argument is "The old games were just better!"
Yeah let's just ignore all the arguments I made and chalk it up to that. Go fuck yourself idiot.
>>
>>317760862
>probotector
>Castlevania:The New Generation

Filthy europoor detected. You guys always received shitty slowed down and butchered versions of our games.
>>
>>317761609
>number of good games.
What I'm saying is that there are more people making games, and there are just as many talented people, if not more, due to the sheer amount of it. The fact you're unable to look doesn't mean they aren't there, and it makes zero sense to believe that having such a huge boom in the amount of creators would lead to the amount of people with the same passion and talent to decrease (not that it necessarily mean increase)
>To you, a console with 1 good game and 0 bad games is more desirable than a console with 100 good games and 1,000 bad games. Look at that 100% good game ratio of the former console, clearly it's better!
No, THAT is a strawman. I'm saying that the ratio could be much, MUCH worse, but that, because there are so many more than before, there are just as many good games coming out.
>Strawman. Never said that.
No, you quite seriously did by saying that "only good games count". Which is, by definition, cherrypicking.
You seriously don't even know what these terms mean, huh? I guess I'm the fool for letting you string me on.
>>
>>317761372
I'm not sure what you mean to say.

Are you saying it's inevitable and therefore OK? Or that the medium survives and therefore it isn't a severe issue?
>>
>>317754991

TTYD was way better than SMRPG though.
>>
>>317762608
hahahahhaha, censored too might i add, and didn't get most of the good ones rpgs at the time.
>>
>>317762178
I could find as many or more Mega Drive beat em ups that I like better. They play better in the arcade, though, but the Mega Drive had the best arcade ports, being a Sega console and all. It also runs at 7mhz, but I modded mine with an overclock to run at 10mhz.
>>
File: h.gif (2 MB, 250x229) Image search: [Google]
h.gif
2 MB, 250x229
>>317754991
Revengeance
KI : Uprising
Galaxy 1 and 2
Memes aside, Portal 1 and 2
Mass Effect 1
Ghost Trick
Tropical Freeze
Wonderful 101

Theres alot I'm missing, but gaming was better before is the stupidest meme I've ever heard. Gaming has always had problems, you just can't seem to acknowledge the problems then.

>but every game now is an fps!

And every game in the early 90s was a platformer. Fads exist, and they go away. I'm not saying they aren't problems, but they've always existed and will continue to exist.

It's not the gaming industry thats dead, its the fanbases that are. Instead of complaining all the time actually go play some fucking video games and instead of nitpicking everything, just try to have fun.
>>
>>317762576
>The goal of the game should be to make a good game, not to make a casual experience that can be completed by literally anyone because it's so simple and easy.
These are not mutually exclusive, and it's incredibly reductionist to think that it is. By that logic, children's books shouldn't exist because books should be written for REAL readers.
>>317762654
No, I'm saying that it's a universal problem. I never once implied it was okay, but yes, it IS inevitable. It's not even a bad thing; the amount of good isn't becoming less just because the skilled craftsmen are working alongside beginners. If you're willing to admit that any good writing has come out in the past thousand years, you concede that to be the case, since the same thing happened with writing.
>>
>>317762823
Revengeance: good
KIU: decent
Galaxy 1 and 2: good
ME1: good
Ghost trick: never played
Tropical freeze: decent
wonderful: never played

you know what you're doing
>>
>>317762608
They're Japanese games, for one, and I modded my Mega Drive to run at 60hz, so I have the better picture that PAL gives and can play the games at the right speed.
>>
>>317762991

>PAL gives better picture

We're not in the 90's anymore. I have a RGB monitor and XRGB mini too bub.
>>
>>317762991

I've already seen how bad the PAL version of Sonic 1 is, mohammed.
>>
>>317762991
Like Zhukovsky said in GoldenEye "new name, same friendly service". It was hz speeds back then and is fps and res now. some things never change.
Not bashing just making an observation
>>
>>317762479

That's merely due to how much you've aged and how many games you've gone through by now compared to in the SNES era. Memorable is a subjective thing that has nothing to do with quality.
>>
>>317763370
I'm actually only 20 to be honest. There have been some indie games i've liked though like shovel knight and stuff.
>>
>>317763173
Okay, but I still use tube tvs and modded mine back in the 90s originally.
>>317763202
I have it run at 60hz with a mod, that's what I just said, m8.
>>317763217
FPS and Resolution still mattered then. The Mega Drive, at 7mhz, ran more consistently and faster than competitors like the Turbografx, Amiga CD32, and SNES. And PAL has better colurs and resolution that Never Twice the Same Colour.
>>
File: 1439830139411.jpg (14 KB, 207x212) Image search: [Google]
1439830139411.jpg
14 KB, 207x212
Everything you said is true, anyone who disagrees with you have shit taste.
>>
>>317763552
What i was talking about was people still complain about that stuff even today. I honestly could care less how it looks so long as it's playable
>>
>>317763552

>I still use tube tvs

I recommend a RGB monitor friend. You sound like a cool guy. Though, I can't recommend spending a SHIT TON of money on one, keep an eye out for a deal you might get lucky someday.
>>
>>317763449
If you are an active gamer, you can play hell a lot of games before hitting 20's. More than enough to start experiencing seen-it-all syndrome.
>>
File: amish nigga.jpg (96 KB, 699x480) Image search: [Google]
amish nigga.jpg
96 KB, 699x480
>>317763648
Everything you said is false, anyone who disagrees with you have good taste.

>>317763737
you'd be right about that, sir. already having to dig around for stuff
>>
>>317758339
Fuck off with your shit taste most of those games are garbage. Uncharted trilogy, Ass Effect, Ass Creed? Gears of War? Bioshit?
The only modern games I like happen to be sequels to old ass games such as Street fighter or Tekken. I also play a fair bit of Sonic racing. The yakuza series is the only modern series that I play, but I don't exactly enjoy them, lol.

When I look at my game collection, I'm shocked at how it's mostly the hd collections of PS2 games that I play the most. (Metal gear, Ratchet & Clank, Kingdom Hearts, Hitman, etc.) With the exception of Metal Gear Solid, the rest of those series got extremely dumb down with their latest installment.
>>
>>317763709
I'd probably go with SCART instead, but I prefer tube tvs because they're easy enough to repair and there are spare parts everywhere.
>>
>>317764101
Uncharted is fun and has good dialog, Mass effect is good except for 3, gears and ass creed okay, and Bioshock may have lots of philosophical dribble but they were fun. Obviously you've never touched like say the Batman Arkham series. Fuck off
>>
>>317764240
I'd love to find a working CRT tv, but i can only find them in places like goodwill and i question whether they even work. I really wanna play my light gun games again.
>>
>>317754991
>Super Mario World, Super Castlevania IV, etc.
I narrowed it down to the actually good games. No need to thank me.

>These games provide a deeper, more varied gameplay experience than anything offered today.
Even if older games did, which 99% of them don't, the ones you listed absolutely do not apply here.

>It's not nostalgia
Uh huh. You sound like you just turned 18.
>>
>>317764240

Sensible decision. Once my RGB monitor dies there is likely no hope of repairing it. I have a XRGB mini so the damage would be minimal, but it'd still suck. Luckily I have like 25600 hours on it(24700 hours or so when I first go it), so its still got a ways to go.
>>
>>317764560
The fact you didn't mention Super Metroid or Chromo Trigger means your opinion automatically is disregarded.
>>
>>317764657
First one is overrated like Mega Man, second one is Square Enix JRPG garbage. But go ahead and disregard it.
>>
>>317764546
I have my main one that I bought new a few years back, I buy some from garage sales and rubbish tips for parts. They're still available new here, though.
>>
>>317764873
Well Super Castlevania 4 isn't even the best 16 Bit castlevania, that belongs to Bloodlines, and Super Mario World is good but not even close to the best game on SNES So yeah i most certainly will disregard your awful opinion.
>>
>>317764873

>Just go ahead and disregard my shit opinions

Yeah buddy, I definitely will. Mega Man isn't shit and neither are those JRPGs.
>>
>>317765154
Ah y'all are lucky, nobody where i'm from sells them new. Might just have to try my luck with used ones, not like they're expensive or anything.
>>
>>317765156
Rondo of Blood is the best 16 bit Castlevania, New Generation is second best and Vampire's Kiss is third best.
>>
File: 1377149094877s.jpg (3 KB, 85x125) Image search: [Google]
1377149094877s.jpg
3 KB, 85x125
>>317756753
>Super Mario RPG
>Opinion discarded.

Are you fucking for real? You are an Xbox generation kid with shit taste, without a doubt.

Mario RPG is still superior to "Paper Mario 1 Party Member Why Is This Even Turn Based?"

As for Mario and Luigi, it will never have the charm Square gave Mario RPG. It has nothing to do with nostalgia. Everything about Super Mario RPG is superior.
>>
Games in the 90s were better. There were more great games per year just look at the notable releases section on Wikipedia.

Some of the people in this thread are just as ignorant as the modern game playing shit-eaters. Assassin's creed 2 and bioshock 1 are very well crafted games. Uncharted 2 as well.
>>
>>317765306
I flip flop between Rondo and Bloodlines, SC4 is really good, and Dracula X to me is actually pretty good and doesn't deserve all the hate.
>>
>>317765352
Agreed but 90's games were more memorable to me at least, and definitely had less hand holding.
>>
I love how OP bitches about "cinematic bullshit" but then like half of the games he lists rely entirely on the aesthetic and writing to even semi enjoy.

Fucking Nintenyearolds.
>>
>>317765273
They should be dirt cheap if the analogue signal is turned off in your country.
>>317764650
I guess if you can get some mileage out of it, but I enjoy tinkering with these things so I like to keep them.
>>
>>317765575
I believe they would be, i'm not sure if they can receive cable anymore. Everyone in the US has to have HDTVs so nobody really buys CRTs anymore which is a shame, they looked better to me.
>>
>>317765429
Vampire's Kiss just plays better than IV to me. I much prefer the presentation. The gameplay is a bit stiffer than Rondo, but it feels more like a Castlevania than IV.
>>
File: image.png (325 KB, 382x417) Image search: [Google]
image.png
325 KB, 382x417
>>317754991
I put a lot of time into Skyrim, I thought it was pretty good, even if it had some flaws.
Honestly I feel like some of you guys are too harsh on games today
Bloodborne, Witcher 3, MGSV, Fallout 4
They're not THAT bad, but all I hear about them on v is how awful they are.
I just hide the threads now.

The thing I really hate about modern gaming is dlc and sjw crap.
DOAX3 not getting localized was really disappointing.
>>
>>317765352
>>317765546

Everything in the 90s was better. Even SNL was at its funniest during this time.
>>
>>317765969
4 does feel really different, but the stiffness is what actually makes Dracula X the least favorite of the 16 bit ones. It does have a definite CV feel to it though.
>>
>>317765971
Most of it is people trolling. The rest is just moronic nostalgiafags who don't even play a good portion of the modern games they think are bad. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't play a good portion of the old games they praise.
>>
>>317765824
Do you have an option for PAL 60 on newer tube tvs over there? If you're only using composite I'd recommend using that. Much crisper picture, more lines, and better resolution.
>>
As long as there is variety, I'm okay.

There hasn't been this much variety in gaming since the '90s and certainly far more than the dreaded early-mid '00s.

Gaming is going to be alright.
>>
>>317766173
Possibly but i have no clue, anything tubed used NTSC i believe, but i think composite cables do work on them.

>>317765971
agreed modern games are still good if a bit watered down. the problem is the online crap and dlc
>>
>>317766054
IV had some pretty bad music compared to the other 16 bit games, and the classic SNES slowdown hurt it. The changes in control kind of made the game too easy. I can finish it without using a single continue and I only play it a couple of times a year.
>>
>>317766198
>blob strategy, lego graphics and Tumblr-inspired stories

>"variety"
>>
>>317766380
Really? i loved the OST. I don't notice slowdown, i'm not perceptive enough to, nor do i care, the gameplay though is a bit easy.
>>
>>317766419
More than today's brofest.
>>
>>317766343
I can use NTSC, PAL 50, PAL 60, and SECAM, but I don't know what America is like with tvs. NTSC is the oldest and worst colour encoding format. Your tv should support at least RF, obviously, and Composite. If it's a good one you will have component and, maybe, SCART. But SCART is more of a European thing.
>>317766575
The OST is really boring besides like three or four tracks, while Rondo has a great soundtrack all around. Rondo was on CD, though, and the SNES soundchip kind of sucked.
>>
>>317766952
That's what we got stuck with lol, you guys got lucky, i know tubes here can do composite and maybe component if i recall correctly, don't know about scart though, never heard it used here.

And the OST Rondo did have a better OST and I think Bloodlines did too, I still like SC4's though since some of the tracks are kinda minimalistic.
>>
File: how normalfags ruin everything.png (572 KB, 1920x297) Image search: [Google]
how normalfags ruin everything.png
572 KB, 1920x297
>>317754991
You're not going to get through to these children, they were born in a generation where gaming was dumbed down for them. Where gimmicks were a norm and where raping the consumers wallet with paywalls and microtransactions in oversimplified, stripped down, and streamlined games is the norm. They've never known a world where gaming isn't something you're forced to solve your buyers remorse with DLC.

There's a reason games are a uncreative shell of gaming of yesterday, because the old games are the standard on which games that are made today base themselves off of. There's a reason Halo sucks now, because it's a worn out concept that modern devs are too uncreative to improve, there's a reason Mario is copypaste now, because the young devs in Nintendo's internal teams are lost without a gimmick to push them forward. There's a reason that one series you loved is dead, because the dev sees it as unprofitable because they cant see it selling to the widest possible casual audience.

People aren't just "THAT OLD MAN BITCHING TO GET KIDS OFF HIS GRASS". The complaints are there for a reason, and as more and more of you children get older, and more of your series become "streamlined" for the new audience BECAUSE YOU and YOUR GENERATION of gamer aren't profitable no more, you'll be the one under the magnifying glass.
>>
>>317767410
I'm 20 so not all of the younger ones are like that. I mostly play 90's games.
>>
Thread music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d25OY306LP4&list=PLSHMcAUZYM-747dALKoLQgcwc_H-mzU9b
>>
>>317754991

Except the games you listed came out over a period of 6 years, and you pretty much already listed all the good games on SNES except Final Fantasy. Add Sonic and Gunstar Heroes from the competitor and you've got essentially everything worth playing from an entire long generation.

Meanwhile today there's half a dozen different platforms all with big libraries and at least a handful of must-play games each, and this generation hasn't even lasted more than a couple of years.

In other words, you may not be blinded by nostalgia about game quality, but you sure are when it comes to time.
>>
>>317754991

>Look at games on the SNES, such as Super Mario RPG, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Kirby Super Star, Donkey Kong Country trilogy, Super Castlevania IV, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X trilogy, etc.

I don't want to, it hurts to much to remember how glorious video games once were.
>>
>>317767615
everyone post 90s game tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8j_KgAgOnw&index=14&list=PLC0C2A6BCA6040BC8
>>
>>317767238
SCART and SECAM are pretty much only used in Europe and parts of Asia.

IV went for a more atmospheric and dark soundtrack, especially in the early levels. Other Castlevania games have tracks like Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, Reincarnated Soul, and Opus 13 which have a lot more energy than IV's ost. Even Vampire Killer, Beginning, and Bloody Tears sounded bad at the end of the game.
>>
>>317754991
Chrono Trigger had tons of Cinematics.
>>
>>317768314
That's one of the reason i loved the OST was how dark it was, well that and Simon's Theme, and yeah i didn't think those kinds of connections existed here unless you had an imported tv.
>>
....you ain't wrong.

Gaming has just gotten worse and worse, the bigger it's become. I see the AAA industry falling into the same trap that Hollywood did. We still get a good game every now and then, but....yeah.
>>
What are the chances of a real sequel or proper remake/re-imagining of Super Mario RPG? Not M&L and not Paper Mario. I'm talking SMRPG.
>>
>>317767487
It's not contained to a age group moreso than it is a mentality. I'm 30 and I have people older than me mindlessly accepting these practices like they're not anti consumer. Take a look at the fucking amiibos just by example, they're the literal definition of anti consumer in their purpose and nature.

The purpose and functionality that Amiibos serve is simply unlockables, people are paying for a functionality and content that used to be something in game as a different mode or costume for free, but you had to work for them. It's anti consumer in the most manipulative way possible, and the amiibos aren't even fucking well made.
>>
>>317769057
Exactly, i don't know why people want to be nickel and dime, i mean are they retarded?
>>
File: 2364736-snes_secretofmana.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1530) Image search: [Google]
2364736-snes_secretofmana.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1530
>>317754991
Agreed.
>>
File: fruit salad.png (33 KB, 341x356) Image search: [Google]
fruit salad.png
33 KB, 341x356
>>317768380
And good gameplay to back them, which is what this generation of oversimplified games lacks completely. The problem and reason people complain now are that the moviegames use cutscenes as a excuse for implementing poor and uncreative and unoriginal gameplay to back it.
>>
>>317769368
i cried
>>
>>317768079
>In other words, you may not be blinded by nostalgia about game quality, but you sure are when it comes to time.
That actually seems to be the biggest fallacy that jaded anons succumb to, it's all too common to see just last couple of years compared to a whole decade here. It's always been like this, we get couple really good games per year and the rest vary between just OK and bad.
>>
>>317769767
name some must play games from the gen and i'll rate?
>>
>>317767410
Dude, to all gradeschool kids, gaming is a ps360 wii or playing a tablet or phone till they can get to a ps360 or wii.
And the sims and minecraft on pc.
That is all.

If you tell them that the only thing they have to do to unlock the hidden stuff in a game is to play it and have fun instead of buying it, they'll either think you're lying to them or it'll blow their tiny minds.

The next gen is even worse and kids and even adults aren't going to accept the horribly anti consumer practices that they are trying to enforce.
Look at the nonexistant acceptance of the current gen.
Not only is the current gen more expensive, and less simple and consumer friendly, it's the first gen since the fucking atari where the consoles were WORSE then cheap off the shelf computers.
Not only that, the whole MAKING IT ALL X86 TO MAKE GAME CREATION EASIER AND FASTER was bullshit. It was to make consoles cheaper for them. That's all.
All they've done is make buggier clusterfucks that fewer and fewer last gen console owners are willing to put up with.
They're so fucking deperate that they are even passively agressively threatening them with "They aren't going to keep making last gen console games forever".
When the sad fact of the matter is, if every last gen consumer unanimously dumps their last gen console and stop paying for their retarded garbage online the entire goddamened console industry will fold in less then a year.
>>
>>317768903
Squeenix won't do it.
>>
>>317754991
>DKC Trilogy
>Megaman 7

Into the trash it goes
>>
>>317769504
But hey anon, at least we have it on iOS now! Never mind the fact that the glorious three player function has been removed. And you won't mind that we needlessly "updated" the water and text boxes and font, right?

Playing this classic is easier now more than ever! All you have to do is install iTunes on your computer, download it from the iTunes store (because, hey why would having it on the app store on your mobile device be a thing?). Then plug in your mobile device and sync it with your computer's itunes. Viola Secret of Mana on your Apple iPhone or Apple iPad.

Best of all, that archaic controller has been dropped for new and improved touch controls that make navigating menus and moving your characters a fucking nightmare.

But wait, there's more! Be sure to update your Apple iOS software regularly, if you don't we will hound you about it daily. And best of all, when you update your Apple iOS software this game will likely become obsolete as it will no longer boot up. All those hours you spent playing the game? You better hope the next Apple iOS update fixes this crash and double hope that your save files are still in tact.

But wait, there's more! Fuck Android users!

:^)
>>
File: Boostertower.png (15 KB, 416x392) Image search: [Google]
Boostertower.png
15 KB, 416x392
>>317762167
No

his ancestor was
>>
>>317770195
It's ridiculous all the stupid shit games today are doing.
>>
>>317756753
I'll agree to this. SMRPG is a bore
>>
OP is correct. I am buying a TV for my living room for the first time in my life after moving out.

I can decide to buy either a PS4, or a FrameMiester for my SNES, and the FrameMeister seems to be a better use of money than a PS4 with some shitty games (only good games are bloodborne and xrd).
>>
>>317759824
>Back to the Future
I will find you and I will kill you motherfucker
>>
>>317769909

Kid Icarus Uprising (10/10)
Bayonetta 2 (9/10)
The Wonderful 101 (9/10)
Fire Emblem Awakening (8.5/10)
MGSV (9/10)
Undertale (9.5/10)
Splatoon (9/10)

And that's just the ones I've played, and not counting the always-good but never groundbreaking games like Mario and Smash. Not to mention this generation is obviously just getting started, with Xenoblade X, Zelda, FF15, KH3, Persona 5 and more right around the corner.
>>
>>317760180
It had Sonic 3 and Knuckles so yeah
>>
>>317769909
>Witcher 3
>Bayonetta 2
>Europa Universalis IV
>Wargame: Airland Battle
>Bloodborne
>Age of Decadence
>Undertale

But you are just gonna list them all as shit, right?
>>
>>317770790
KIU: okay
Bayonetta 2: good
MGSV: good
FEA: good
splatoon: good but shows the problem with modern games not having splitscreen

haven't played undertake cause it sounds overrated and 101 just haven't played.

Still not as many as the 4th and 5th gen consoles
>>
>>317761539
>not mentioning the objectively best game of the 90s

>Sonic 3&K
>>
>>317771161
I never said that i rated some below you, and i'll rate these too

Witches 3: great
EU4: sorry but i liked 3 way better
Blood borne: good but i liked souls better

haven't played war-game or age of decadence

I also personally like revelations 2 and DAI
>>
>>317771173
>Still not as many as the 4th and 5th gen consoles
No shit, it has been just couple of years now. I admit that start of this gen has been really slow (and fuck that remastering bandwagon), but I'm pretty sure that we are going to have a nice list of good games once it is over and we can actually judge it with other generations.
>>
File: Hirō Isono p11.jpg (399 KB, 1136x1523) Image search: [Google]
Hirō Isono p11.jpg
399 KB, 1136x1523
>>317770283
Gaming is a sad shell of what it was in the 90s. When I see gaming today I see:

>incomplete games
>DLC for the rest of the game
>SJW censorship
>no local multiplayer
>rehashes of rehashes of rehashes...
>dood bro casualization
>pretentious indie trash
>boring and unoriginal gameplay mechanics
>muh cinematic experience (if it were an actual movie it would blow)
>if you're lucky, game might have a manual
>all the cool swag from yesteryear? gone
>rare physical pre-order bonuses became DLC costumes
>meme filled translations
>homogeneity in the various console experiences
>etc.

It's literally gone to shit.
>>
>>317771430
I don't doubt it, but it's tough to top the golden age for me.

>>317771254
okay that is a great game, but not as good as those to me.
>>
>>317771510
you are correct for a million.
>>
>>317760778
It cannot be done.

If it's too arbitrary for you show me something close. Hell, show me anything that remotely supports that ridiculous statement. I've been playing video games for two decades and that sounds like total bullshit.
>>
File: 150px-Jonny.gif (8 KB, 150x164) Image search: [Google]
150px-Jonny.gif
8 KB, 150x164
>>317756753
Youre wrong, replayed it a few years ago, it was fantastic.

>this fucking shark
>>
>>317771921
Was his name Johnny, that shit was golden.
>>
>>317760408
fuck it, i remember when the games whole LORE was the first 25 pages of a manual. just look at the LttP manual, its all backstory of hyrule before even getting started and THAT is fucking how you do it.

dumb fucking kids
when our gen dies off, they won't remember the good games and they will be lost to time.
>>
>>317771531

>I don't doubt it, but it's tough to top the golden age for me.

Literally the definition of nostalgia.

If you were going to try to sound credible you should at least have referred to the late 90s, where for a few years there were ACTUALLY 10/10s being released every other month during the golden age of Playstation, JRPGs, groundbreaking Nintendo games and classic PC games.
>>
>>317772262
That is what i define as the golden age.
>>
>>317754991

desu OP i don't give a fuck anyway because i mostly play autistic as fuck military simulators and strategy games, a genre which has done nothing but increased in quality since it first appeared.

Flight sims especially. If you cant enjoy stuff like DCS, IL-2, or Rise of Flight then damn i feel sorry for you.
>>
>>317766198

But not on an Nintendo console there is variety.

Wii had shit ton of variety, unlike WiiU. DS had tons of variety, unlike 3DS.
>>
>>317762872
>These are not mutually exclusive, and it's incredibly reductionist to think that it is. By that logic, children's books shouldn't exist because books should be written for REAL readers.
Bad analogy. MOST modern games are designed so they can be played and beaten by anyone. If the game advertised itself as being such, it wouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>317762645
>What I'm saying is that there are more people making games, and there are just as many talented people, if not more, due to the sheer amount of it.
That's clearly not how things have worked out. Quality > quantity
>The fact you're unable to look doesn't mean they aren't there, and it makes zero sense to believe that having such a huge boom in the amount of creators would lead to the amount of people with the same passion and talent to decrease (not that it necessarily mean increase)
No, you're just in denial over the fact that they started making games for idiots and babies so that more people would buy them. I'm content to admit that that's what happened, whereas you view it as some sort of "nostalgia".
>No, THAT is a strawman
No, that's using your own logic against you.
>I'm saying that the ratio could be much, MUCH worse, but that, because there are so many more than before, there are just as many good games coming out.
This simply isn't true. You're actually cherry picking good games by saying this. The majority of games have always been bad - That's why there are 700 something games on the NES, yet most people only name
>No, you quite seriously did by saying that "only good games count". Which is, by definition, cherrypicking.
So you're reasserting a strawman argument, after having been informed that it's a strawman argument? You're telling me what my only argument is - And conveniently, it's something that you made up that's easy for you to attack - But it's totally not a strawman argument everyone!
>You seriously don't even know what these terms mean, huh? I guess I'm the fool for letting you string me on.
You're the one who doesn't know what they mean. Literally go reread your posts - Your entire position is based on a strawman argument.
>>
>>317764560
>>Super Mario World, Super Castlevania IV, etc.
>I narrowed it down to the actually good games. No need to thank me.
Probably the worst games on that list, gonna go ahead and disregard your post now.
>>
File: 3508439399_38d251d927_o.jpg (53 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
3508439399_38d251d927_o.jpg
53 KB, 392x500
>>317754991
>>
>>317765971
>They're not THAT bad
That's not what we want. We don't want "politician" games where you're just picking the least shitty game. We want good games like the SNES library.
>>
>>317771531
srsly tho 3&k doesn't get enough credit
it's like easily one of the best 2d platformers ever and the pinnacle of 2d level design in so many ways
>>
So now that we can agree that vidya is dead, can we talk about what year vidya actually died in? I'd say that 2007 was the clear divide vetween good games and absolute shit.
>>
>>317761539
>Panzer Dragoon Saga
Fuck me... why is there not another quadrant mid air flight RPG like this one. So glad I got this game on release. Easily the gem of the sega saturn. also, Dragon Force is fun as fuck
>>
>>317770452
Why would you even consider getting a PS4? The only game is Bloodborne. SNES has all the games in the OP and more.
>>
>>317768079
>>317769767
OP here, you guys speak as if I deliberately named one game from each month or something. The goal was simply to list good SNES games. I don't care if I didn't meet your arbitrary standard. There are more good SNES games and they came out more frequently than good modern games, so surprise, that makes me think the SNES era was better than modern gaming. Weird how that works, isn't it?
>>
>>317774228
3&K is incredible, but it falls under Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island when it comes to level design.

I personally feel that as a whole SM > S3&K > SMW2
>>
Yeah this is true. I enjoyed skyrim, but last game I really enjoyed was paper mario TTYD. Faggy opinion, but even the indie shit is shit. Games are just the same now. Maybe they'll have a Disney renaissance one day, but now it's kinda shit
>>
>>317774557
Dragon force is godly as well. i love my saturn so underrated.
>>
>>317775862
>Faggy opinion, but even the indie shit is shit
So you didn't like:
Hotline Miami 1 and 2
VVVVVV
Cave Story
Shovel Knight
Terraria
That stuff is better than anything coming out on the PS4 and Xbox One.
>>
>>>/vr/
Back where you belong, you bitter old farts who can't adapt for shit.
>>
>>317776421
>who can't adapt to shit.
FTFY
>>
>>317776592
Shut up old man, if the world listened to your kind we'd still be watching black and white films.
>>
>>317777113
When color TV came out nobody ever said "this is horrible! It's the end of TV!" (I'm sure you'll strawman it, but realistically almost nobody reacted in that way)

We just don't wanna play your casual, piss-easy games. K? You've gotten your way for quite some time now, maybe there could be a good game now?
>>
>>317754991
Well I can say one thing, the Mario RPG's have gone down the shitter since at least. Look at Paper Jam.
>>
File: constanza wonka.png (267 KB, 335x334) Image search: [Google]
constanza wonka.png
267 KB, 335x334
>>317759256
>Maybe you should stop playing western AAA dogshit and play the actually good games that get released.
Like what?

Any time a good game comes out like Dark Souls you guys just shit on it anyway and act like the only appeal of the game is the difficulty.
>>
>>317779595
This, just because a game is AAA doesn't mean it's bad, weren't those games from the 90s we loved AAA?
>>
>>317777691
old men aren't being marketed to anymore, sorry gramps
>>
>>317779830
People thought in simpler terms back then. There were just games people liked, and then games people didn't like. There was no need for all this bullshit terminology and lingo.
>>
>>317779994
i agree i don't why games have to be AAA or indie or whatever, i like games i like.
>>
>>317779917
Guess that's why they still make movies such as the new Bond films, Liam Neeson films, Gran Torino, etc.

And I guess that's why indie games have been dominating "AAA" games for years. Games clearly taking inspiration from classic games of the 90's.
>>
I'm playing Suikoden right now, and this is one of those games i feel like they will never make anymore.
>>
>>317779994
That's not entirely true, remember blast processing and bits.
>>
>>317780589
And Sega got dumped by consumers in favor of actual games. Because that's what people wanted.

Now more than ever, games are all about graphics, gimmicks, and non-vidya.
>>
>>317780782
but sega had actual games? Agreed though otherwise.
>>
>>317780840
Once they started being super competitive and started with that "blast processing" shit, that's what made people start to prefer Nintendo, and gave birth to the type of person who thinks gameplay is more important than graphics.
>>
>>317781428
you mean graphics is more important than gameplay for those kinds of people right?
>>
>>317781603
Well, for the Sega fans. Because they were the ones pushing the whole "blast processing" thing. Nintendo fans were just kinda like we don't care, and I think that's what made people start to notice that game library was more important than graphics (not to imply Sega didn't have good games or anything).
>>
>>317781428
As much as I doubt Blast Processing' existence, Genesis could handle some things much better than a SNES could. Mostly shumps.

Plus you have to admit the SEGA CD was amazing for the time. Even the vomit inducing FMV's.
>>
>>317781763
agree completely as someone who didn't grow up with those, i feel the ones has a bit stronger library but you really couldn't go wrong with either.
>>
>>317770195
This game any good?
How's the eshop release?
>>
>>317781959
Secret of Mana is one of the best action rpgs ever.
>>
>>317781791
>As much as I doubt Blast Processing' existence
I don't know why people say this. I was always more of a Nintendo fan but this is simply the term they used for their type of processing.

Of course, it doesn't actually affect anything, and the player has no control over it, which is why I think it's silly to care about graphics on consoles. Same concept still applies to this day. If I were to go buy a PS4, I have no control over what Sony put in the PS4, and I'm not a developer so it doesn't really affect me. And I can't switch the parts out. So if there's something the Xbox One does better than the PS4, and some Microsoft fanboy started rubbing it in my face, I wouldn't really care, if that makes sense.
>>
>>317782121
Most consoles have similar graphics anyway, and if a developer is good enough the game will look good anyway, case in point SMG on the wii
>>
>>317782838
Agreed, and this is a good point because art style has always been more significant than raw system power.

In fact, when a console is weak (such as the Wii) they have to rely on nice art styles. Whereas if a console is stronger than the competition at the time, developers will sometimes go for a generic "realistic" style.
>>
>>317769419
>Chrono Trigger
>good gameplay

Chrono Trigger's gameplay is incredibly simple and requires pretty much zero thought. It's one of the easiest rpgs of all time.
>>
>>317783464
Art styles like wind waker or okapi or 2d games are good ways for your graphics to age well.
>>
>>317783818
Agreed. I personally think Paper Mario 64 is one of the best looking games of all time.
>>
>>317756378
>Debate about your taste in games
Go home. Not everything is about you, friend.
>>
>>317784059
another one that looks like it could've been released today.
>>
>>317783546
Just cause it's easy doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
>>317754991
Games just became something different and worse, to appeal to a completely different audience than the one that originally liked videogames.
>>
>>317784829
you mean nerds right?
>>
>>317784583
Yes it does.
The only way you could find CT's braindead gameplay good is if you're a child or a nostalgiafag.
>>
>>317754991
The best RPG I've ever played(and I've played a fucking LOT of them) came out in 2014.
>>
>>317783546
You know what's bullshit?

CT getting this kind of bad rap when FF6 is far more guilty of it and sent its entire fucking series down that same road. CT is significantly harder and far less broken than FF6 is, but do you ever complain about it? No, of course not.
>>
>>317785213
guess i'm a nostalgia fag then. and besides the game has one of the best osts ever and looks great even today and has multiple ending which many jrpgs still don't have. Guess that means nothing though.....
>>
File: 1341476400018.gif (791 KB, 250x182) Image search: [Google]
1341476400018.gif
791 KB, 250x182
>>317785213
Consider the following
>>
>>317785213
You know what some other rpgs that are easy and good too, the entire ff series past 2 and suikoden.
>>
>>317784829
>>317784906
Not him, but I don't think games being made for experienced players means "nerds". Games were always advertised as being something for everyone (think "family" advertisements, that nerd / jock in the Zelda rap commercial, etc.)

Games don't have to be piss easy and appeal to every casual and feminist, but that doesn't mean I'm asking that they all appeal strictly to nerds. Just a little more challenge and more depth would be nice.
>>
>>317785647
>the entire ff series past 2
You mean past V because III and IV are the hardest games in the series and V damn well makes an attempt at it.
>>
>>317785837
3 isn't that hard and 4 isn't either, the only hard ones were the first two really.
>>
>>317785920
Yeah, no. II is extremely easy to break and III is straight up more difficult than I in every way, especially when it comes to the final dungeon.
>>
>>317785796
What I meant is that games experienced a zenith during which devs first said "Look, we're not stuck in arcades, we can ask a lot more of players, we can make them think, we can ask for more of their time, we can rip their dicks off with difficulty without making them feel like we're eating their quarters"

But since PS3/360 it's been more and more "Gaming should be for everyone so games should ask NOTHING of their players, they should basically be passive entertainment like Hollywood movies"
>>
>>317786016
That final dungeon wasn't hard, then again i did attempt it at level 60. For me though the game wasn't hard.
>>
>>317786016
just curious which version of 3 are you talking about the NES one or DS?
>>
>>317762401

The first 2 M&L games are boring as shit
>>
>>317786247
NES, but the DS remake is still functionally the same game.
>>
>>317786298
Okay i played the DS version, i really didn't think it was that hard. I also think it's ridiculously underrated.
>>
>>317756753
I replay it every year and love it every time.
>>
>>317762401
>I think the recent M&L games have surpassed SMRPG

Superstar Saga did. The rest definitely did not.
>>
>>317786520
It's a blast to play.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.