[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fallout 1: >literal time limit >"open world"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
File: 24.jpg (260 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
260 KB, 600x450
Fallout 1:
>literal time limit
>"open world" but if you choose the "wrong" direction you get slaughtered
>dialogue is garbage
>followers are useless after the first two hours
>charisma literally has no use
>killing two rats with a plasma rifle takes at least 30 seconds
>the brotherhood of steel are actually good guys
>the side quests are pretty much all "arrive in town, decide to help the good guy or the bad guy, leave town"
>half of the skills are practically useless
>even with your late game power armor it only takes one crit for you to be killed in one turn

Fallout 2:
>pretty much all of the above, but the side quests are replaced with lol so wacky pop culture references
>the world is now literally Fallout 3 tier with wacky kung fu cities, talking deathclaws, ghosts, mafia families and so on

I can't believe I fell for this meme. I want my money back.
>>
>>317355434
Oh, and forgot to mention this:

>absolutely no freedom in your builds, you either go high in agility and intelligence or you can just uninstall the game right away
>>
>>317355494
>>absolutely no freedom in your builds
You've got perfect freedom, the game just doesn't hold your hand if you want to build a potato.
>>
bait thread
>>
>>317355614
Yeah, just like the "open world" part. You can go wherever you like! (we will just kill you if you go where we don't want you to go)
>>
>>317355434

>Ok
>Ok, with prose.
>I'll come back and say OK later.

LMAO and people talk shit on fallout 4's dialogue.
>>
>>317355771
>three choices
>none of them matter
At least FO4 has four choices which don't matter
>>
>>317355698
Would you prefer a level scaled world where you can go everywhere but you'll eventually run into rats that can eat a nuke and keep coming back for more?
>>
How I convinced the raider leader to release Tandi:

>Vault Dweller: "I represent a threat you don't even understand. Do you really want to risk our wrath."
>Raider Leader: "Hmm. For some reason I believe you. You may take the girl, but do not return unless you seek our wrath."

This is not a joke. This is what they actually wrote.
>>
Why does this surprise you? This is the same board that thinks being good in a hard single player game is a bigger accomplishment than being good in a MP game. Everyone on here is a try hard but only in games where they have no competition besides the computer, It's the same reason people spam objective things like graphics quality and framerate as arguments, because it guarantees them they won't lose since the argument is already set up for them to be right.
>>
>>317355434
thats what happens when you play a 20 year old game 20 years too late.
>>
File: fallout country.png (538 KB, 1920x693) Image search: [Google]
fallout country.png
538 KB, 1920x693
Fuck off with your shitty bait.
>>
>>317355434
Don't forget the Scientologists, complete with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman ripoffs.
>>
>arrive in Shady Sands
>there's a radscorpion quest
>the second part of the town is completely empty, there are just some random generic peasants running around
>there's nothing else to do in the city

>arrive in Junktown
>the guard introduces you to the city
>there's a doctor who's selling human body parts to some guy in the Hub
>there's nothing you can do about it

What an amazing, immersive world
>>
File: 1447853861122.png (671 KB, 800x664) Image search: [Google]
1447853861122.png
671 KB, 800x664
Fallout 1 was just fun and novel. It's absolutely broke in terms char build though.
Bethesda saved the title and everybody knows it.
>>
>>317356309
you can enter combat and kill the doctor.
>>
>>317356149
Welp you need to basically lose your fucking life to become pro in most mp's
2000+ tf2, still not as pro as i would like
>>
>>317356309
Cut content. I'm not even joking, there's references in the code to a whole bunch of shit they never implemented in both games. It was annoying as shit and lead to so many of "those kid" moments when discussing quests. "Oh if you drop dynamite down a toilet it blows up and covers the town in shit!"
>>
>>317356480
I'm pretty sure that just makes the whole town hostile to you. You don't even gain extra XP for doing it or anything.
>>
>>317356309
>almost 2 decades later
>Beth games are just as empty

Hmmmm....
>>
>>317356470
>the slaver tattoo
I didn't even remember this retarded shit. Why would they do that?
>>
>>317355434
>the side quests are pretty much all "arrive in town, decide to help the good guy or the bad guy, leave town
And with this, double the Roleplayability of F4.
>>
>>317356684
Bethesda emptiness is several degrees more empty.
>>
>>317356901
To prevent slavers enslaving each other I guess.
>>
>>317356901
It's a slap on the wrist from the devs for not following their night in shining armour narrative, and locks you out of a lot of quests because people are in the habit of shooting slavers on sight.
>>
>>317357082
But mods!
>>
>only 13 unique poster
gee I wonder who's spamming brain dead marketing slogans and empty "the new one is better because it's new"...
>>
>>317355698
Don't play like a retard if you are going to enter high level areas. That was the best aspect of fallout, you can just walk to high level settlements and find better equipment / savescum through dangerous areas.

Also you can go for a sneaking build and steal /savescum good weapons from people or go for a pacifist build or melee or heavy weapons or sniper or quick shooter. You can fucking plant mines on people while sneaking and run away and they will be dead later.
>>
>>317357258
I bet it's todd xd
>>
>>317356543
are you seriously this dumb or did you read about the game on wiki?
>>
>>317357434
>sneaking build
>in classic Fallouts
Yeah, good luck with that. Sneaking is completely useless.

Bethesda made sneaky builds fun for the first time in Fallout history with 3.
>>
>>317355434
>>>literal time limit

You know jack shit about time limits if you're bitching about Fallout 1 having one.
>>
>>317356149
Hello new age millennial. It's not being skilled in MP doesn't matter it's just that we don't enjoy multiplayer for 99.9% of games. Fallout 1 and 2 were better RPGs (yes that doesn't just mean go around a world and kill things like you think it does) Fallout 4 is a shit RPG with alright gun play.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 640x425
>this thread
Just nuke it all
>>
>>317355434
Baby cant play the real fallout games wah
>>
>>317357673
Being a better RPG than Fallout 4 isn't exactly an achievement. Fallout 1 and 2 are still both shit.
>>
>>317357647
>Finally get to Ultimate
>30 minutes later it dies and you're back to babby
Th-thanks.
>>
>>317357678
war... war never changes
>>
>>317357561

>high sneak
>melee
>silent running
>silent death
>slayer

????
>>
>>317357491
xD
>>
>>317357561
Sneaking is literally how you do the speedrun, where you end the game at level 3-4.

>>317356006
Thats some good Charisma right there.
The gut feeling really sets in, and he thinks its easier that way
>>
>>317355494
Why does every build need to be viable?
What's wrong with actually having to figure out what the right ways to play are, instead of being able to succeed with literally anything?
>>
>>317356309
If you go back to shady sands later you find out that tandi was kidnapped as a fucktoy and you get a quest to save her. You can also talk to the farmer in the second part of the town to teach them about crop rotation and get xp. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

In junktown you can kill the doctor while in the basement and the town won't turn hostile. You can then go to bob's iguana bits in the hub and extort him for money.

If you play the game like a mentally challenged person then of course you are going to miss out on content.
>>
>>317358615
Because being railroaded into a certain build limits roleplayability?

Granted, Beth handles it like ass. But still, we should strive towards the creation of an RPG where the options are so numerous that every build is viable.
>>
>>317358503
>Thats some good Charisma right there.
It's not charisma, since charisma has no use in 1. Defending that dialogue is pretty embarrassing, either way.
>>
>>317358771
>we should strive towards the creation of an RPG where the options are so numerous that every build is viable
That's an impossible dream unless you dumb the system down a lot.
>>
>>317358771

Making a game where every build is viable would make it trivially easy. You could just not spec anything and get through, that's a build, right? Ideally, you could have a game that adapts itself based on your choices, to make it possible but difficult to finish if you went full speech in a combat scenario. Pen and Paper, however, is far superior for situations like that as the human element allows on the fly changes whereas you'd have to spend a ridiculous amount of coding to achieve something similar in a videogame.
>>
>>317358945

>HATE NEWSPAPERS
>>
>>317359605
Why are you bringing Fallout 4 into this?
>>
>>317355434
>"open world" but if you choose the "wrong" direction you get slaughtered

babbies first rpg huh?
>>
>>317359753

Muh level scaling
>>
>>317359529
Viable doesn't mean easy though anon. It just means that you're never severely gimped no matter what sort of build you end up with. This goes from having mechanics to talk your way out of any situation to having access to enough tools, gadgets, weapons etc. to support you if you have a build that's not specced towards combat.

Of course, it's a nigh impossible dream.
>>
>>317355494
I guess you haven't seen Sips randomly complete 90% of Fallout 1 with almost no intelligence and no idea about what he's doing.
>>
>>317358771
If you can't roleplay an underdog, you've really fucked up your ruleset. Fallout lets you be a computer whiz that has to get high on drugs to make their way through the horrors of the wasteland.
Hell, while we are talking about roleplaying, a true roleplaying experience can end with an untimely death, and be satisfying.
>>
>tfw no talking deathclaws
>>
>>317355434
Isn't that how an Open World is supposed to be? Or are you one of those retards that think everything should be scaled to the point where you'll be running with thieves sporting decked out weapons and armor?
>>
>>317360085

>tfw no talking raccoon village
>>
File: 1443807415550.gif (2 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1443807415550.gif
2 MB, 360x360
Really I would say the only thing that's BS in terms of dealing with the time limit is the rope.

The first time I played I stumbled upon it somehow because I never had to look for it and the quest went fine, but the second time I played through it took me a while to find it. Maybe there's a dialogue about it that I missed but even then it's pretty easy to just ignore.
>>
>>317360085
>you will never again ride a around the wasteland with a Highwayman trunk full of drugs, guns and explosives and a super mutant and a talking deathclaw on your backseat
Why even live?
>>
>>317358650
what the hell are you talking about

you have to play the game like a mentally challenged person at least once to see all the content
>>
OP isn't wrong.
>Fallout 1 and 2
>get to terminal
>you don't have 75 science skill
>oh well, come back after i beat the game
>you do have 75 science skill
>you beat the game
look up speed runs on Youtube.

>steal is the skill for planting explosives on people
>traps is the skill for disarming explosives
>per is the skill for seeing explosives

>go all the way into lockpick skill
>door is controlled by a terminal
>terminals: require science to hack
>requires high INT to even use
>"you need science to repair this terminal
>all your points are in Repair
etc, etc, etc
>>
>>317359828
Your idea of roleplaying is that of contrivance and gimmicks. Vault 13 people expect danger from the wasteland, they equip you with a knife and a pistol, and the second you walk out of the vault you are assaulted by fauna. Vault dweller's tribe has you go through a deadly rite of passage before sending you out in the world.

There are many workarounds for you to achieve the goal of your quest in both games, but if you roleplay a completely inept pointdexter, you can receive the sensible result. The game even acknowledges your failure as a conclusion to your character's story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upbu3K1cwnI
>>
>>317360195
NO! AN OPEN WORLD NEEDS TO HAVE COMPLETE FREEDOM, WHICH MEANS I CAN GO DO WHATEVER I WANT, WHENEVER I WANT, WHEREVER I WANT! BUILDING UP STRENGTH TO DEFEAT A DIFFICULT CHALLENGE IS FOR OLD BORING WHITE MEN, IF I WANT TO GO KILL DEATHCLAWS AND ENCLAVE RIGHT AWAY THEN I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO SO!
>>
>>317360593
>throwing is the skill for throwing explosives*
>>
>>317360593
>Repairing the doors in the SAD causes them to get turned off
>>
>>317360593
I don't get it, are you praising it? All of this makes sense.
>>
>>317356901
>I wonder what could happen if I join slavers?
>Oh noes, people hate me, this game sucks

What the fuck did you expect?
>>
>>317360867
it's up to you if you see all that as bad or good.
i see having 5 different skills just to use explosives as a bit autistic, but all of the other stuff is passable for a challenging RPG.
>>
File: 316.jpg (4 KB, 175x134) Image search: [Google]
316.jpg
4 KB, 175x134
>>317355494
>you either go high in agility and intelligence

>Not playing the game as a literal retard who punches good and is so lucky that his enemies' guns blow up on them
>Not asking slot machines if they're waterchips

Get the fuck off this board.
>>
>>317355434

>people will reply unironically to this
>>
By far my favourite trick to get rid of people stealthily in FO2 was to dose them up with super-stimpacks then wait for the secondary damage they do to kill them.
>>
>>317355434
Holy shit do you have anything better to do you autist? Yeah thanks for crashing my morning but you shitposters should stick to Undertale or shitting on Fallout 4. What possesses you to shit on the two better Fallouts?
>>
>>317360949
>defending the retarded tattoo
Why the fuck would slavers tattoo the fact to their forehead? That would only make their lives harder.
>>
Can someone post a gif or webm of Vault 13 Overseer getting killed?
>>
>>317360964
>playing the game as a literal retard and miss 95% of the game's content because you no longer can access any of the quests
>>
>>317355494
>what is unarmed + max luck and strength
shakin' my head
>>
>>317361196

Prevent desertion
Easily identify other members
Encourage group travel

I think the question you should ask is "why do people know I'm a slaver if I wear combat/power armor"
>>
>>317360952
But these are different skills, and stats and skills do overlap.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Traps#As_a_Passive_Skill

You are accepting abstractions like "explosive" skill when what RPGs should strive for is logical simulation.

How is knowledge of traps is gonna help you sneak one in a person's pocket? How does the trap skill matter in this situation, when you can just put timer on max and achive the desired effect, regardless of the traps skill? How is putting live explosives into peoples pockets an essential element of anyones play style?
>>
>>317360434
>Missing the point completely
Speaking of mentally challenged.
>>
>>317355434
>talking shit about Fallout 2
>TALKING SHIT ABOUT NEW RENO

Shittiest taste I ever seen.
>>
>>317361390
>max strength
What's the point when you get like +5 from power armor in both games?
>>
>>317355434
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky1mzGLAq0c
>>
>>317361650
punching people even harder
>>
>>317355434
>>literal time limit
makes sense because of the first story quest, is easy to get past and have unlimited time after a few hours
>>"open world" but if you choose the "wrong" direction you get slaughtered
it's not "open world" and you get pointed in the right direction every time you visit a location
>>dialogue is garbage
good one
>>followers are useless after the first two hours
they're pretty useful until you have to deal with super mutants, great help against the first deathclaws too
>>charisma literally has no use
correct
>>killing two rats with a plasma rifle takes at least 30 seconds
literally making shit up
>>the brotherhood of steel are actually good guys
they send you to your death and only let you in because you survived a suicide mission against all odds
>>the side quests are pretty much all "arrive in town, decide to help the good guy or the bad guy, leave town"
every video game ever
>>half of the skills are practically useless
correct
>>even with your late game power armor it only takes one crit for you to be killed in one turn
highly unlikely but it happens rarely. save your fucking game
>>
>>317361624
New Reno is about as out of place in Fallout universe as San Fran

Meme locations like that are the reason why Fallout 1 > Fallout 2
>>
>>317361531
you're asking questions that deviate from my point which is that there are too many fluff skills.
>>
>>317361196
>They're well known, well stablished criminals, capable of handle themselves

Why would they need to hide? On the contrary, they get recognition, which allows them to work easier agains regular joes.

I agree it's retarded, but more retarded is to kill everyone in a building, no witnesses, and 2 minutes later hear on the radio about the deed you committed.
Or, to agree to help a faction that you have to fight later on regardless to fulfill the task they asked.
>>
>Kill Gizmo fatlord in Junktown
>see some gangsters in hotel, kill them because they are bandits
>Killian's soldiers attack me, wipe out the entire town, Ian blows shit up with that SMG i gave him
>get to Hub, buy a sniper rifle and do assassination quests
>Ian dies during merchant assassination, feels bad but finish other assassination quests alone
>Feel like a very hardcore killer, want to kill more shit and sell their organs
>Go with crimson caravan, on the way back get ambushed by like 10 raiders, eye shot everyone but just as i am about to kill the last one she crits me from across the screen

Ending is very fitting, 10/10

Feels like a very fresh game, only really remember town names and that Necropolis can get nuked or something if you do something wrong
>>
>>317361650
The point is read the conversation you are jumping into.
>>
Why is /v/ so easy to bait?
I mean not just for getting the initial response, but these bait shitposting threads go on for hours.
>>
>mfw can only play the first two games for an hour or so before I have a huge desire to see my character get ripped apart by minigun fire

It's like the only game I like to see my character get fucked up, dunno why
>>
>>317361735
How is New Reno out of place?
>>
who started this retarded "everything is memes and memes are bad" meme?
>>
>>317362079
The Illuminati, same as every meme. It's all part of their perception control program.
>>
>>317361741
I've yet to see you back up that point. Whose fault is it that you pursued 95% shots in the eyes, when they weren't essential? Do you want to be master of all trades, jack of none?
>>
>>317362079
Fallout 2 is literally full of memes.

>meme (pronounced may-may)[1] is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".

E.g. pop culture references
>>
>>317361354
>i dont understand player freedom and replayability
>>
>>317361848
>bait shitposting threads
>quality arguments throughout
How about you fuck off.
>>
>>317355434
what is this meme called?
>>
>>317362265
pop culture is not memes you fucking dumbass
>>
>>317362209
i backed it up when i typed out that you need at least 3 different stats dedicated to explosives just to handle them and OP already stated "half" are useless.
anyway, more assumptions and assfuckery, fuck off to Reddit m8.
>>
>>317362861
Yes it is. It fits the definition.
>>
>>317362983
>>317362265

Memes actually require repetition. Just making a reference to something is not a meme.
>>
>>317363143
But isn't having the reference in the game spreading that pop-culture reference to all the consumers, thus spreading the idea, and therefore a meme?
>>
>>317362948
No, you need 3 skills to
>sneak heavy items into person's pocket
>detect and disarm traps
>throw things with strength and precision, some of the things being idiot-proof explosives that are grenades

Also, repair is the exact skill to repair computers.
>>
>>317361354
You don't do a retard run on your first playthrough. It's like you don't know how to roleplay or something.
>>
>>317355494
Agility 8 or above is practically required to play the game, but Intelligence is not that important.
>>
>>317355698
Just like in real world, now imagine same shit in postapocalyptic, makes sense.

Or go march into ISIS headquarters right now with your current 1% in gun skill and 1 agility you lard.
>>
>>317362983
>hurr durr muh description
so you're saying that posting cockmongler is the same thing as quoting the godfather.
>>
>>317356149
"Competitive" multiplayer games just aren't fun unless it's shit like Mario Party that is made to piss you off.
>>
>>317355771
you do realise it's a monty python reference, don't you?
>>
>>317363598
>Agility 8 or above is practically required to play the game
Hate this meme desu.

1 AG gives you 5 AP, which lets you shoot once per turn.

8 AG gives you 9 AP, which lets you shoot once per turn with 4 AP left over. With bonus rate of fire or 4 AP guns you get two shots, but 1 AG still isn't unplayable by any means.
>>
>>317355698
holy shit, so people want level scaled games now? this is the darkest timeline
>>
>>317355434
>the brotherhood of steel are actually good guys
>send you to death immediately after meeting you
>>
>>317362983
>>317362861
Textbook definition is much wider than the subgroup of memes that gets brought up often in the recent years. Despising memes in the widest sense is about as sensible as despising the concept of mimicry.
>>
>>317363650
Would you call the "what is this, a picture for ants?" a meme or a pop-culture reference to zoolander? Because it's both.
>>
>>317363786
>5 AP

enough to never escape from combat even from the slowest enemies in the game!
>>
>>317363824
The knight at the bunked door gives you Rad-X and warns about the radiation. The one who doesn't have a talking head.
>>
>>317363875
A few perk points in bonus move and you're fine.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (77 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
77 KB, 384x313
>>317363935
>this one random npc is not a total dickhead
>>
>>317363875
You are implying that escape is an absolute necessity.
>>
>>317364021
>they give you a dangerous quest to let you join their exclusive club
>they warn you about the dangers
>this means they're dickheads
>>
>>317363814
People just want walking simulators that you can't lose.
>>
>>317363732
Nobody likes monty python, their skits were shit.
>>
>>317364057
Even through tremendous savescumming you will not win every encounter unless you're somehow cheesing the game.
>>
>>317357561
too dumb to figure it out?
>>
>>317364101
They send you on a hero quest that no one has ever returned from. Just because someone says "oh by the way, watch out for the dragon" doesn't mean they actually think you'll do anything, they're just giving you a sporting chance to die horribly 50ft further in than the last guy.
>>
>>317364101
they don't give you a dangerous quest to let you join their exclusive club, they give you an impoosible quest so you can fuck off and die
>>
>>317363875

>Making slowest possible character means I'm slow? What bullshit

The game literally warns you in the manual not to take your special stats below 4 unless you know what the fuck you're doing.
>>
>>317355434
Fallout 1:
>set 10 luck
>raiders mistook me for their previous leader
>found UFO with powerful weapon right away
>everyone who attempts to attack me misses critically and ends with broken limbs or their weapons just explodes in their hands, blinding them
>walking around as indestructible god of war with shitload of money

Fallout 4:
>set 10 luck
>atomic bomb immediately explodes near my home
>i'm falling into some elaborate mad scientists project
>my wife gets killed
>my kid gets kidnapped
yeah, no
fuck it
>>
>>317364314
>>317364350
The holodisk you're supposed to find actually contains important information, so it's not like they're trying to kill you off for no reason.
>>
File: homo.gif (252 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
homo.gif
252 KB, 300x188
>>317364232
you're american, aren't you?
>>
>>317364403
The manual is full of shit, Charisma is mostly useless and Strength is garbage since you can increase it by 5 pretty easily.
>>
>>317364406
>walking around as indestructible god of war with shitload of money
>still get keked in the end
fuck
>>
>>317364403
Whoa whoa whoa. Reading a manual!? No no no no no no no no no no no non on no. We're drooling retards you faggot. This entire generation needs to be validated without effort. This is why fallout 3 and 4 are the best games ever. The stats don't mean anything! And this is good.
>>
OP has been baiting with this shit for weeks now.
>>
>>317364517

>unless you know what you're doing
>>
>>317364439
The holodisk carried on the body of one of a team of power armoured dudes who died in there. They send you into a place they know is deadly enough to ruin one of their squads. That's not being nice, that's killing two birds with one stone. Either you die and you're out of their hair or somehow you live and they get what they wanted and a hardarse in the bargain.
>>
>>317364467
nah, americans love monty python
>>
>>317361531
>he didn't immediately travel to vault city and put a bundle of dynamite in happy harry's pocket
>instant metal armor mk1, instant 10mm smg, instant combat shotgun
>>
>>317360085

Dude, a Deathclaw companion would be sweet as hell.
>>
>>317364641
It's not being nice, but it's not particularly evil either. They say that you have to do this really dangerous thing to join the Brotherhood. They could just kill you on the spot if they were feeling actually evil.

Besides, the canon ending for Fallout 1 goes like this:
>The Brotherhood of Steel helps the other human outposts drive the mutant armies away with minimal loss of life, on both sides of the conflict. The advanced technology of the Brotherhood is slowly reintroduced into New California, with little disruption or chaos. The Brotherhood wisely remains out of the power structure, and becomes a major research and development house.
Canonically the good guys.
>>
Never played Fallout 1 or 2. What's the ideal character build for a first time playthrough?
>>
File: bait.jpg (13 KB, 360x361) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
13 KB, 360x361
>>317355434
Everyone's biting today, OP. I hope you feel accomplished.
>>
>>317364259
Break it down, give us the data, the reasoning. Even ignoring all the ways to tank damage on escape, to boost ap with perks and drugs, to sneak, talk, delay, and otherwise subvert confrontations, I'd like to see you present a convincing argument for battles being literally unwinnable with one shot per turn.
>>
The only good thing about the Fallout series is the setting. Every single FO title is carried by it because otherwise the games are all garbage
>>
>>317355874
Yes, Bethesda fans actually do prefer that.
>>
>>317364550
>implying he didn't get to fuck all the bitches in his tribe
why else would he found a village like that instead of going to the boneyard and being a living legend
>>
>>317357561
>tfw sniping NPCs from sneak and they have no idea who firing at them
It feels like cheating
>>
>>317364971
i wonder if op has even responded to this thread, or he's just jerking off to the amount of replies he's got.
>>
>>317364906
Gifted, bunch of agility and intelligence, tag small guns, and start putting skill points into energy weapons when you reach the late game.

Charisma is absolutely useless in 1. In 2 you need 2 for one companion, 4 for two companions and so on.
>>
>>317364971

He does the same thread every day. The same retarded arguments and people still bite.
>>
>>317355434
Remember when games were actually game-like?
>>
>>317364862
there's literally an npc in the BoS that tells you they send people to the glow if they want to get rid of them. and the PC can say "screw you guys" because you get butthurt learning the truth
>>
>>317365297
It's just a complete inverse of "every AAA RPG is a joke now" OP, you bet your ass people want to talk about it.
Fallout 1/2 evidently provides a better conversational platform with all of its skills and interactivity.
>>
>>317362516
> this is what post neo-/v/ thinks is quality discussion.
>>
>>317364906
The absolute most important skill in both games is Agility, keep it 8 or above, preferably 9 or 10.

Strength is not too important and it can also be raised very easily in the game, so start with it at 4 or 5

Charisma is almost completely worthless in the first game as it's only checked for a few things, the Speech skill itself can just be raised through leveling up and is much more important. Charisma in 2 is used to determine how many companions you can get, half your Charisma is how many you can have.

Intelligence is really good as it is checked for a lot of different things and gets you more points to up your skills, it's a really good stat.

Perception is alright, it determines the turn order (high enough and you can get multiple turns in a row) and shooting but it's not amazing. I almost always go 4 or 5.

Endurance is really good in the early game but by the end you have Power Armor and shit. Either have 4 or 6. 4 gets you access to Lifegiver which gives you more hitpoints per level. 6 gets you 10% damage resistence, upgradable to 30%.

Luck is a strange one. When it's really high, good things happen to you. You find better loot, your enemies blow themselves up, you encounter special events more easily, and you crit more. If it's low, your weapons damage you pretty often and enemies crit you more. So keep it medium or keep it high.

As for perks, always ALWAYS, ON EVERY CHARACTER YOU MAKE, TAG THE 'GIFTED' PERK. IT IS THE BEST ONE.

For your regular skills you'll probably want Small Guns and Speech. Also Fallout 2 starts out with a long melee combat segment so it helps to be able to use Unarmed or Melee Weapons at the beginning.
>>
Why people hates on tactics? I liked it
>>
>>317365735
>post neo /v/

How many fucking generations of /v/ are people considering right now?

What's next? neo-renaissance post-modernist art-deco /v/?
>>
>>317365758
>start with 4 strength
>can't use any rifles

>start with 4 perception
>can't get awareness

Quality advice, pal
>>
>>317365925
Neo /v/ is between tortanic and gg
Post Neo /v/ is after gg
>>
>>317365758
you don't NEED gifted, beat the game again without using it

it's a crutch
>>
File: 1319691980664.jpg (16 KB, 418x398) Image search: [Google]
1319691980664.jpg
16 KB, 418x398
>>317366000
>>
>>317366096
>tfw I'm in the middle of my first FO run and I pick gifted AND just pick educated in my last level up
>>
>>317366000
he's saying 4 str+ gifted
>>
>>317366000
>>can't use any rifles
Both flavours of Red Ryder BB gun. :^)
>>
>>317365735
I typed arguments, not discussion, learn to read.
>can only contribute by whining to boost own ego
>diluting what's in the thread and making a reason to bump
>>
>>317366059

Honestly it seems as bad as it was last time I was here, I think it might've slightly improved because I haven't seen as much console wars/eceleb shit
>>
>>317366000
You can very easily raise your strength to 10 from 4.
>>
File: 1430192398898.jpg (43 KB, 570x587) Image search: [Google]
1430192398898.jpg
43 KB, 570x587
>>317364232
>>
>>317366249
>you can use your hunting rifle after you get power armor!
Ok
>>
>>317365917
Because Fallout's combat system is not that good and it's really really shitty in comparison to other games in the same genre.
>>
>>317355494

>hey guys, I only tried playing the game with one build, why do the others suck?
>>
File: Untitled.png (118 KB, 1920x1500) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
118 KB, 1920x1500
what did he mean by this
>>
The only thing I really hated was the AI.
>>
>>317366383
better than baldur's gate and planescape torment
>>
File: 1334423963816.jpg (69 KB, 653x800) Image search: [Google]
1334423963816.jpg
69 KB, 653x800
>>317363650
>cockmongler
God damn i forgot he existed.
>>
>>317366472
He is talking about Tactics genre.
>>
>>317355434
yeah, but if you like the battle system try Fonline
>>
>>317357434
>savescum through
>ITS A FEATURE!
>>
>>317366472
Baldur's Gate and PS:T are not the games Fallout:Tactics is competing with.
>>
>>317355434
I'v played a bit of fallout one and the only problem i have had so far is "IS THAT A FUCKING ROPE? I THINK THAT'S A ROPE, NEVERMIND IT'S NOT A ROPE"
But once i got pastbthat the games kinda fun.
>>
>>317366568
>>317366610
oops didn't read the tactics part
yeah that one was just worse than jagged alliance etc.
>>
>>317366592
>Fonline
It's a shit shoveling simulator where you get Russian death squads after you and your money when you've spent the last 20 minutes shoveling shit and get your hard earned pay.

It's not very fun.
>>
>>317355434
>>killing two rats with a plasma rifle takes at least 30 seconds
>>>even with your late game power armor it only takes one crit for you to be killed in one turn

you absolute fucking scrub lmao
>>
>>317366604
>i am a special snowflake and my character should never ever die because they are perfect and this game is opressing me
>>
>>317366869
>Fallout doesn't have a slow combat
>Fallout doesn't have crits that completely bypass armor
Right.
>>
>>317365758
>not playing an idiot melee character with 0 int 0 ch and negative speech in FO2

ishiggy
>>
>>317366604
/ means that you do one of the things. Ignoring savescumming doesn't hurt his argument one bit.
>>
>>317357874
Let's hear your taste bro start naming some RPGs. What games do lore, interaction, dialogue, atmosphere, etc so much better than Fallout 1 and 2.
>>
>>317366604
>western PC game
>not constantly saving due to general low quality and jankiness

I really wonder where and when this huge split between Japan and the US happened where Japanese games are for the most part very polished while Western games are barely playtested.
>>
>>317367051
Planescape: Torment, BGII, Arcanum to begin with.

Just ask if you need more xamples.
>>
OP wants his after-apocalypse setting to mollycoddle him, let's see if he starts crying once he plays any games that are actually hard.
>>
File: 2015-11-21_00002.jpg (306 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-21_00002.jpg
306 KB, 1920x1080
>>317355771
>>
>>317355434
Haha I can't believe you're bad at FO1 and FO2. They're fucking easy and fun when you get the hang of it. You kind of sound like you need a diapey change. Die in your video games one time too many? Get so butthurt that you had to come on /v/ and vent to make yourself feel like it's not just you who is just terrible at the game? I hope you find your FO1+2 hate-circlejerk somewhere lol
>>
>people slowly realize this series is actually shit
Thank Christ
>>
>>317367229
>>317367307
>classic Fallout fanboys get this assblasted when someone criticizes their favorite subpar RPG
>>
File: bait never changes.jpg (45 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait never changes.jpg
45 KB, 625x626
>>317367352
>>
>>317367352
>Little man-baby can't read text on the internet without flying off the handle in an inferiority-complex fueled rage and has to prove to all the anonymous people he ain't mad lololol

You kids on this site are so funny. You'll make little childish comments about everything and anything.
>>
>>317367352
why is pretending to be retarded considered trolling now? is that why we say "baited" instead of "trolled" now?
>>
>>317367605
Criticizing a popular game doesn't mean you're pretending to be retarded. It's pretty much universally accepted that Fallout 1 and 2 have terrible combat, 1 has a bad first few hours and that 2 is full of obnoxious pop culture references. They're both subpar RPGs that were carried by their interesting, original setting.
>>
>>317367307
>>317367229
>>317367590
>>317367605
It's been well established that OP is a pasta, learn to ignore provocations and hold back your worthless redundant shittalking.
>>
>>317364467
It's a fact that 98% of everything they did was shit. They relied on sheer number of jokes and hoped a few would work.
The group has acknowledged this.
>>
>>317367842
This isn't a pasta, I wrote it myself a few hours ago.

Post archive links to prove otherwise.
>>
>>317367842
You're worthless and redundant you little baby. If you know how to Sage than you don't bump the thread and you can talk all the shit you want. Don't be a noob.
>>
>>317363872
That's because everyone who watched the movie knows that quote, then it became popular on the internet through 4chan, reddit, tumblr, and social media sites.

Cockmongler was just exclusively an internet thing- which most people didn't really use to browse memes at the time.
>>
>>317361735
>Reno
>Out of place in Nevada
>Meme xDDD

Fuck off.
>>
>>317368306
>epic mafia city where you get to become a porn star or a boxing champion!!
Yeah, it's pretty out of place
>>
>>317355434

>literal time limit
Yup, part of the story. Would you rather it was the same story with...with no time limit? An unlimited supply of limited water?

>dialogue is garbage
FO4, nvm.

>followers are useless after the first two hours
Blatantly not true, Cassidy and Sulik are powerhouses.

>even with your late game power armor it only takes one crit for you to be killed in one turn
Yup, that is what crits are. Sorry its not a little "ONLY TEN SHOTS TILL YOUR SUPER SHOT PRESS X TO WIN" gauge.

>half of the skills are practically useless
They are situational and for role playing half the time yeah, I don't mind it but can see why someone would.

>>317355698
Except that is bullshit, you can head straight to Novarro in the beginning if you want, but protip, its harder because you are level one and its a MILITARY BASE.
>>
>>317361567
Nigga he's talking about making a low INT run. Stop trying to act like a toughboy when you're really just a fuckboi.
>>
>>317367983
I fail to see how that makes a bad post any better.
And I am not bumping with these two posts, as I don't think this is healthy and respectful to those browsing the front page.
>>317367918
Then you are repetitive in your bitching/baiting.
>>
>>317355434
kill yourself you underage casual pleb
>>
I feel bad for people who actually wasted their time trying this dated af game.

No matter how good the dialogue or whatever is (not to mention that video game writing will never be as good as other forms of writing), people gotta realize that this game didn't have the technological advantages that today's game have. This is what I'd call an objectively inferior game.
>>
>>317368642
smhtbhfam
>>
>>317355434
>time limit
honestly if you manage to hit it I don't know why you even play vidya
>>
>>317368451
>Yup, part of the story. Would you rather it was the same story with...with no time limit? An unlimited supply of limited water?
I'd rather have a different story without a time limit.

>Blatantly not true, Cassidy and Sulik are powerhouses.
Yes, in Fallout 2. Fallout 1 you can't give your companions any armor, which means they're pretty much dead when you start to encounter super mutants with their miniguns.

>Yup, that is what crits are. Sorry its not a little "ONLY TEN SHOTS TILL YOUR SUPER SHOT PRESS X TO WIN" gauge.
Randomly getting 1 shot because you got unlucky isn't good gameplay.

>They are situational and for role playing half the time yeah, I don't mind it but can see why someone would.
"yeah the game is shit but I don't mind lol!"

>Except that is bullshit, you can head straight to Novarro in the beginning if you want, but protip, its harder because you are level one and its a MILITARY BASE.
Essentially exactly what I said. You're on a guided tour through the wasteland, and if you step out of your path, you get your ass kicked.
>>
>>317368451
Forgot this:

>FO4, nvm.
Just because 1 and 2 have shit dialogue doesn't mean Fallout 4 does it any better.
>>
>>317368451
that's for the first half of the game which shouldnt hit zero unless you have palsy.

second half of the game, the ending is determined by the date you destroy the military base and the master. the supermutants invade places if you're slow
>>
>>317368421
>drug capital can't have mafia in it
>wealthy city of low morals can't have fisticuffs for entertainment
>>
>>317368776
What else did you think it was gonna be, you dumb bitch? Skyrim bullshit?
>>
>>317369076
A good RPG, desu.
>>
>>317368776
>Essentially exactly what I said. You're on a guided tour through the wasteland, and if you step out of your path, you get your ass kicked.
Oh boo hoo, you can't waltz right into the military base and get power armor at level 1 because the game isn't level scaled.
>>
>>317367918
How does it feel to commit to a waste of fucking time for a shitty troll attempt on /v/.
>>
>>317369189
>those who disagree are all trolls!
>la la la can't hear you FO1/2 are GOAT
>>
>>317367903
well it seems you just don't understand it :^)
>>
>>317369126
But you got one and you spent more 3 hours crying because it doesn't pamper you.
>>
>>317369076
he wants some level-based enemy scaling which is shitty

>go somewhere where npcs warn you not to go

>die

>Bawww shit game it's literally railroading me!!
>>
>>317369340
Shit dialogue, boring side quests, slow combat, useless followers and useless stats/skills aren't about pampering.
>>
>>317356006
I just stopped by the raiders early on, made myself friends with them, then when the tandi mission came I just traded her for 200 caps.
Then I came later to kill most of them and get my money back
>>
>>317368776
>"yeah the game is shit but I don't mind lol!"
No, there is an aspect to it I can see why someone wouldn't like, but I like it. Sure there's not a ton of uses for the science skill, but when you have a science character you feel great when you get the chance to use it. It's an rp thing.

>Essentially exactly what I said.
So..you are pissed off what the big military base is hard and you want your level one character to be capable of wiping them out just because you feel like it? Sorry buddy this game isn't scaled so you don't wander off the beaten track and get BTFO.
>>317369416 puts it better than me.
>>
>>317368776
The time limit is insanely long and only for the first story mission.

This is not a party game, it is about 1 player. You shouldn't need companions as crutches and it sounds like to me they intentionally made them only for beginners since they start to suck.

I agree with the 1-hit crits in 1 and the burstfire deaths in 2, they are broken.

How would you even propose to fix the "guided tour"? Level scaling is shit and handholding imaginationland tier of gameplay mechanics. In FO1, there just isn't enough content to allow too many mutiple paths early game. In FO2, you have a few choices so you are mostly on a thick region tour instead of a single line tour, but again, there wouldn't be enough locations to make something like 3 branching beginner paths or a radial level gradient starting from Arroyo.
>>
>>317366869
Both can definitely be true, though. The combat is slow as fuck when there are multiple entities involved and a lot of crits can outright ignore armor.
>>
File: 1391011327068.png (199 KB, 376x302) Image search: [Google]
1391011327068.png
199 KB, 376x302
ITT: Children with short attention spans complain about games from 1997

Also comparing the isometric fallouts to the modern ones is apples and oranges and you are literally autistic if you try.

>>317356309

Go back to neogaf and talk about how its gameplay mechanics are dated and not relevant you hipster prick.
>>
>>317370493
>Also comparing the isometric fallouts to the modern ones is apples and oranges and you are literally autistic if you try.
Hush, I'm allowed be overly sour about my favorite series being molested.
>>
>>317370493
They are not "dated", they're just bad. There were plenty of games at the time which did what Fallout was trying to, and better.
>>
>>317370629
Name 10
>>
>>317370603
theres so much technology in 1 and 2 like how NPCs and companions will loot bodies and pick up weapons to use during combat
>>
>>317368421
That shit was ace bruv
>>
>>317370701
>name a million or you're wrong
Fucking autist.
>>
It's clear that you're retarded because you've paid for Fallout 1 and 2 in 2015.
>>
>>317370946
>>317370629
Hey, I too am deeply interested. Name however many you need.
>>
>>317370946
>1 million =10

your mother and i are very proud of you.
you'll do great things one day anon.
>>
>>317370781
what?
>>
>>317371432
did you miss it?
>>
>>317370701
1) Jagged Alliance 1 (turn-based combat with guns)
2) Jagged Alliance 2 (turn-based isometric combat with guns)
3) Darklands (open world RPG)
4) Daggerfall (open world RPG)
5) Baldur's Gate (quality writing)
6) Baldur's Gate II (quality writing)
7) Arcanum (quality writing, proper balancing and developement)
8) Wasteland (post-apocalyptic setting)

That's about as far as I can get to 10, but they each did what they were trying to do better than than Fallout 1/2.
>>
>>317360085
>tfw you will never lose chess game with radscorpion again
>>
>>317371669
what can change the nature of a man?
>>
>Finch Farm has a Ghoul Problem
>"They keep wandering here"
>The ghouls are right next do diamond city

ATLEAST RESET A FUCKING AREA CLOSE TO THE FARM, FUCK DAMNIT
>>
File: 1445619398590.png (149 KB, 313x313) Image search: [Google]
1445619398590.png
149 KB, 313x313
>>317355434
>start character with 8 agility and 10 luck
>95% chance to hit rat from a foot away
>miss miss miss miss miss
>come across a nuka cola truck with thousands of caps
>nothing to buy
>miss miss miss miss miss
You fucking people told me luck is easy mode. Fuck off
>>
>>317371669
Fuck yeah Baldurs Gate.

I need to play that again some time soon.
>>
>>317371665
I have no idea what you were talking about, did you reply to the right post?
>>
>>317364862
More like reluctantly assisting since the mutants just happened to be a threat to them too.
>>
>>317371669
Not even Imoen rape mod made me enjoy BG.
>>
>>317372116
yes
>>
>>317371669
You may be right about a lot of these, but I am pretty unwilling to do single-player party-based games especially if they are real-time, and I also don't have much patience for long ass RPGs so even getting me to do Fallout took a lot. I might eventually get around to doing some of the true turn-based ones. By the way, Icewind Dale seems to fit in that list based on what I have seen though I have no idea if it is good.
>>
>>317372230
IWD2 is great gameplay-wise. IWD1 is still based on underwhelming BG mechanics.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.