[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the problem with repacks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: codex.jpg (15 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
codex.jpg
15 KB, 500x370
What's the problem with repacks?
>>
>>316811783
Absolutely none?
What's the point of this thread anyway?
>>
>>316811783

Ever since the 3DM fiasco with GTAV, alot of people stopped trusting public torrents for their piracy needs.

Nothing is wrong with repacks as long as you get your shit from the people directly. If you didn't communicate to them, don't download from them.
>>
>>316811892
I've seen some people mentioning that it can kill HDDs but I guess they used SSDs or got rused by a shady uploader.
>>
>>316812003
I remember when denuvo was accused of the same thing. Kinda funny it's other way around now.
>>
>>316811912
>Ever since the 3DM fiasco with GTAV
Do explain.
>>
>>316812406
But it isn't and denovo checks games periodically like in mgsV and madmax where the game stops for a second or two because denovo is checking to see if the game is authentic

That can hurt your hard drive

Repacks just install the game in a rushed way but never had I had a problem with them unless they're 3dm repacks in which case you always avoid
>>
>>316812608

3DM executables of GTAV were caught trying to connect to the internet every 30 minutes by sending packets to a unknown server. 3DM denied allegations (through a cut-out) claiming that repackers made malicious changes and repackers denied this saying that its how the cracks work, but really we can't be sure because 3DM almost never do official announcements. For obvious reasons.

Despite this, the torrents are still up and people gave 3DM shit inside the "Scene". Alot of the hardcore seeders (the ones that usually seeds the public torrents) backlashed by moving to private trackers where there is a better sense of accountability for repackers or Scene groups. Public torrents took a massive dive.

Basically if you are pirating on KAT/TPB then you are a retard. 3DM were based in China anyways so it wasn't unexpected for shit to hit the fan. Reformat your HDD ASAP and start looking for other ways of getting your free shit. Check your Task Manager for strange processes that are running even when you turn everything off.

Believe me or not, but the golden days of EZ piracy died after 2009. I never see /v/ talking about Scene drama which tells me that noone knows about this shit. I hope none of you actually installed Fallout 4.
>>
>>316813517
Probably because the scene feels like it died down or went stale, or atleast I haven't seen a lot of the old groups doing uploads.
>I hope none of you actually installed Fallout 4.
I don't plan to go past NV.
>>
>>316813517
what is wrong with the fallout 4 codex?
>>
>>316813517
>>316814081

>I hope none of you actually installed Fallout 4.
i installed. CODEX releases are fine dude, i already installed 4 different CODEX releases and my pc is fine, no malicious processes or anything, no GPU usage while idle. 3DM tho are a meme, it is to be expected tho cause they are stinky chinks.
>>
File: cat.gif (716 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
cat.gif
716 KB, 240x180
>mfw Nod32 found a bitcoin miner on my pc
I pirate so many games I don't know who was responsible
>>
>>316814536
>Nod32 picking up something
Nigga you might have a whole chinatown worth of rootkits in that thing.
>>
>>316814709
What?. I thought Nod32 was one of the most trustworthy antivirus.
What is the new hotness then?
>>
>>316814875
CommonSense 2016
>>
>>316814081

In the case of Codex, nothing is wrong with their releases. Its the repackers I don't trust. TPB moderation went to shit awhile ago thanks to America crackdown and KAT almost never intervenes in cancer releases.

In case people reading this thread doesn't know how piracy works:

>Generally cool but socially inept programmers reverse engineer game executables/dlls to bypass DRM checks because of personal reasons.

>They compile the changes into a archive and give it to repackers they trust as a precaution. Repackers do the work of packaging, creating READMEs, uploading to other sites and sometimes being bro enough to create fancy installers. They can also work with music artists to distribute awesome music in a unconventional way.

>The public downloads and enjoy the releases.

Except sometimes the archive falls into the hands of assholes who use the tools the programmers had to insert bullshit that harms the end user. This destroys trust in the community and the spirit and fun of the Scene. Considering people DO IT FOR FREE they don't want this to happen. Creating and sharing is at the heart of the fun of distributing piracy or else noone would do it.

If you think its safe, go ahead. It ain't my computer. But I always download CODEX from private trackers because bad repackers are purged from the community quickly and people are always combing the releases for anything suspicious.

> installed.

But you can't know for sure if its been tampered with. Thats the point I'm trying to get across. Nothing is free, not even torrents.
>>
>>316815128
How do you get invites into private trackers?
>>
>>316815569
Either getting one during the very rare "open registry" days or knowing someone already in the tracker that could give you an invite code/referal.
Unless there's a vidya equivalent of what.cd, in wich case you'd have to take an interview and a lot of shit.
>>
>>316815569
By being lucky to find someone handing one out.
Back in the day there often where threads on /v/ about bitgamer invites. No idea why those threads completely died down nowadays.

Anyway, you normally have to prove that you aren't a leecher so most people expect you to have a positive ratio, otherwise the inviters reputation gets damaged as well when he invites shitstains.
>>
>>316815569

What sites are good private trackers anyway? I haven't followed private trackers since demonoid/bitgamer went down.
>>
>>316816297
I have the same question. I haven't been to a private tracker since bitgamer got shut down.
>>
>>316816297
demonoid is back up
There are claims that it is a honeypot now for the US government. but, I haven't been fined for using the new site.
>>
>>316816297
>>316816456

I would recommend some, but I'm an elitist faggot. Please understand that /v/ started to get a bad reputation in the other private forums because of bitgamer/demonoid. Would you want this board to flood your favorite vidya farm?

Google is your friend. You can get invites by stalking people connected to the trackers through Steam groups and IRC. Good luck, anons.
>>
>>316816170
bitgamer is gone. Probably because people were sending invites out like candy on /v/
>>
>>316816741
Seems like a perfectly rational position to take.
I understand anon, thanks.
>>
>>316816771
>bitgamer is gone.
I know. I actually meant why invite threads generally went down, even for other sites.
Though after I posted and re-read my own post I came to the same realization as you.
>>
>>316816170
>Back in the day there often where threads on /v/ about bitgamer invites. No idea why those threads completely died down nowadays.
Because most people just hit n ran instead of seeding properly, thus leading to cancelled acounts, in some cases even the guy giving out the invites got b&'d so they stopped doing that. I recall a Black Cat invite giveaway a long time ago that had most accounts killed on the same day because of that.
>>
>>316813517
No it is just 3DM people should avoid at all times.

Some repacks are shady as shit especially when they are not made by the R.G. Crew but everyone should have known 3dm was bad once thaif 4 was and other games were released by them

Dragonball Xeno was the biggest game they released because they were first to release a torrent once news about their mining programs and such were discovered retards on this board were defending it mostly because fans saw it as a backlash against the game itself.

in short never trust 3dm in anything and always go for the repacks from rg , skidrow , codex and if you are getting you stuff from blackcats then you got nothing to worry about desu senpai.

New bitgamer is pretty much kat 2.0
>>
File: 4_51378344414937367.gif (144 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
4_51378344414937367.gif
144 KB, 180x180
>>316814536
Mind explaining to an ignorant lad what exactly is a bitcoin miner? And all the bitcoin fus btw
>>
>>316817867
>especially when they are not made by the R.G. Crew
trusting russian's crack with their "repacked" versions
yeah no
>>
>>316817867
>New bitgamer is pretty much kat 2.0
I remember signing up for bitgamer.ch (new one, right?) back when it first went up and I never got a confirmation email.
>>
>>316818031

Russains are legit. They've been doing it for years and very rarely got into shit. You're going to need a citation for that claim.
>>
>>316818031
Russians legitimately care about their download numbers going up , most trust worthy names in the russian scene will do anything to keep it trustworthy.

just figure out who is in rg and who is just using the name to get some easy bitcoin mining homes.
>>316818161
I think they changed the url but it is a good thing you didn't get one. Within the first few torrents I swear I was able to point out which was a legitimate release by skidrow and which was a repacked skidrow with a nosteam crack.
>>
How about Fitgirl repack? I downloaded a bunch of games from them and seems working fine
>>
Never had issues with blackbox repacks.
>>
>>316817889
Shit that does stuff on the network and gets paid for it in codes (bitcoins).
Think of it like a really inefficient way of converting your electricity bill into money.
Well, some fucktards hide these in random .exes which will then start using your PC and power money to send the code money to some chink who knows where.
Youu get a big energy bill, shorter PC lifespan, taxed network and he gets money for it.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.