[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
srsly, can anyone explain to me how this guy could get a place
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 20
File: Shulk.png (128 KB, 250x401) Image search: [Google]
Shulk.png
128 KB, 250x401
srsly, can anyone explain to me how this guy could get a place in Smash? I get that you like him, he's the main char of your favourite jrpg, or whatever. But would you seriously think that this is a videogame icon? he's the main character of one random JRPG out there. not even a big franchise, just one random JRPG between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of xenoblade before smash.
>>
>>316808819
>earthbound in 64
>fire emblem in melee
>mother 3 in brawl
And Xenoblade in smash 4.
Every single game has an obscure jrpg protag f-a-m. Hes one character out of almost 60.
>>
>>316809031
but fire emblem and mother are big Nintendo Franchises with multiple games. i'd even consider Mother to be a videogame icon.
>>
>>316808819
Gotta hype up that XCX!
>>
>>316809104
Both weren't when the characters got added. Mother had 2 games during melee and fire emblem had 5 during melee. Xenoblade has two now.
Fire emblem is a house hold name now because of smash, It didn't exist outside of japan (and for the most part mother) and xenoblade will soon be too.
>>
Nintendo wants more people to know about Xenoblade Chronicles to build more hype for Xenoblade X, and it was an easy way to make Xenoblade popular, like how Marth and Roy got people interested in Fire Emblem after they were added in Melee.

Are there seriously people who don't know this?
>>
File: CGFG9.png (30 KB, 394x397) Image search: [Google]
CGFG9.png
30 KB, 394x397
srsly, can anyone explain to me how this guy could get a place in Smash? I get that you like him, he's the main char of your favourite jrpg, or whatever. But would you seriously think that this is a videogame icon? he's the main character of one random JRPG out there. not even a big franchise, just one random JRPG between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of earthbound before smash.
>>
>>316809317
are you sure? i played the Fire Emblem GBA games when they came out, not sure if that was after Melee or before, but i thought it was before.
>>
<this is the powder of the monato
>>
>>316809104
Xenoblade sold more copies than Earthbound.
>>
>>316809317
>and xenoblade will soon be too.
lol this guy is drinking the fucking Kool aid
>>
>>316809551
Fire emblem gba was the first fire emblem game in the west that released AFTER melee.
>>
>>316809356
nice try anon, but earthbound is and has always been more popular and iconic than xenoshit
>>
srsly, can anyone explain to me how this girl could get a place in Smash? I get that you like her, she's your waifu, or whatever. But would you seriously think that this is a videogame icon? she's a main character of one random JRPG out there. not even a big franchise, just one random JRPG between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of Fire Emblem before smash.
>>
File: iceclimbers_070914a-l.jpg (104 KB, 400x329) Image search: [Google]
iceclimbers_070914a-l.jpg
104 KB, 400x329
srsly, can anyone explain to me how these guys could get a place in Smash? I get that you like them, they're the main chars of your favourite platformer, or whatever. But would you seriously think that they are videogame icons? they're the main characters of one random platformer out there. not even a big franchise, just one random platform game between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of ice climbers before smash.
>>
>>316809742
we've been through this already. FE and Mother are big Franchises.
>>
File: Activate it.jpg (42 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Activate it.jpg
42 KB, 640x480
srsly, can anyone explain to me how this guy could get a place in Smash? I get that you like him, he's the main char of your favourite jrpg, or whatever. But would you seriously think that this is a videogame icon? he's the main character of one random JRPG out there. not even a big franchise, just one random JRPG between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of Final Fantasy before smash.
>>
>>316809802
OP Here, this one's true. Was Ice Climbers a big franchise? i was too young for vidya when it was released
>>
>>316809104
nobody fucking knew FE before melee. and thats when they started pumping the games out on gba and gcn. must be a coincidence huh?
>>
srsly, can anyone explain to me how these guys could get a place in Smash? I get that you like them, they're the main chars of your favourite shooting game, or whatever. But would you seriously think that they are videogame icons? they're the main characters of one random light-gun shooter out there. not even a big franchise, just one random shooter between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of duck hunt duo before smash.
>>
>>316809885
>i'm not even sure if i ever heard of Final Fantasy before smash.

Kek'd sure thing m8. next time you're asking about Mario.
>>
>>316810012
His name is jumpman you fucking newfaq omg desu
>>
File: mario_l1.jpg (18 KB, 430x430) Image search: [Google]
mario_l1.jpg
18 KB, 430x430
srsly, can anyone explain to me how this guy could get a place in Smash? I get that you like him, he's the main char of your favourite platformer, or whatever. But would you seriously think that this is a videogame icon? he's the main character of one random platformer out there. not even a big franchise, just one random platformer between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of mario bros before smash.
>>
File: Italian America stereotype.png (3 MB, 2216x2842) Image search: [Google]
Italian America stereotype.png
3 MB, 2216x2842
srsly, can anyone explain to me how this guy could get a place in Smash? I get that you like him, he's the main char of your favourite jrpg, or whatever. But would you seriously think that this is a videogame icon? he's the main character of one random JRPG out there. not even a big franchise, just one random JRPG between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of Mario RPG before smash.
>>
>>316809984
>they're the main chars of your favourite shooting game

lol'd. is there anyone on this planet who has this opinion?
>>
>>316810012
>win a moogle plush at my videogame club
>nobody knows what it is
I thought Final Fantasy was mainstream, Holy shit!
>>
>>316810140
i cant read this post without laughing, srsly.
>>
File: 1403293694966.jpg (128 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1403293694966.jpg
128 KB, 600x400
>>316808819
>rosterfags
Just fuck off already. Nobody likes you.
>>
File: tumblr_mod39nESqU1ql7ehgo1_500.gif (1000 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mod39nESqU1ql7ehgo1_500.gif
1000 KB, 500x281
srsly, can anyone explain to me how this girl could get a place in Smash? I get that you like her, she's the main char of your favourite sports/fitness game, or whatever. But would you seriously think that this is a videogame icon? she's the main character of one random fitness game out there. not even a big franchise, just one random fitness game between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of wii fit before smash.
>>
>>316809321
>>316809321
>>
srsly, can anyone explain to me how these guys could get a place in Smash? I get that you like them, they're the main chars of your favourite console meta-game, or whatever. But would you seriously think that they are videogame icons? they're the main characters of one random console game out there. not even a big franchise, just one random creator of avatars game between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of Miis before smash.
>>
>>316810401
Fitnessgames are my favourite genre.
i play Wii Fit competitively with my Fitness clan.
>>
If you own a Wii or Wii U and never played Xenoblade Chronicles, you should probably kill yourself.
>>
>>316810802
thats a cruel thing to say to people, anon.
>>
>>316810859
It's tough love. I care about you.
>>
File: desucat.jpg (11 KB, 96x100) Image search: [Google]
desucat.jpg
11 KB, 96x100
>>316808819
>Desu in the beginning of the sentence
Kill yourself, desu.
>>
File: 025Pikachu_OS_anime_10.png (22 KB, 846x832) Image search: [Google]
025Pikachu_OS_anime_10.png
22 KB, 846x832
srsly, can anyone explain to me how this guy could get a place in Smash? I get that you like him, he's the main char of your cockfighting simulator or whatever. But would you seriously think that this is a videogame icon? he's the main character of one random cockfighter simulator out there. not even a big franchise, just one random cockfighter simulator between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of Pokemon before smash.
>>
I hadn't played Xenoblade when smash4 came out, like most people I guess, and was confused.
But Xenoblade is actually one of the best games for the Wii and a pretty good rpg in general.
>>
>>316808819
>he's the main character of one random JRPG
He's the main character of the best jrpg out there. He deserves a spot.
>>
>>316811006
OP here, i don't want to argue about the quality of Xenoblade - don't get me wrong, the game might be great. but the games quality was never a factor for a place in the roster. the question is: Is Xenoblade a videogame icon? Is it on par with Mario, Pac man, Cloud and Sonic?
>>
>>316809935
It was kinda big like how Ballon Fight and Skate and Die was big.
Kid Icarus had a similar deal.
>>
>>316811118
look one post below you please.
>>
File: RidleyBrawlClear.png (114 KB, 397x305) Image search: [Google]
RidleyBrawlClear.png
114 KB, 397x305
srsly, can anyone explain to me how this guy could get a place in Smash? I get that you like him, he's the main antagonist of your favourite metroidvania, or whatever. But would you seriously think that this is a videogame icon? he's the main villian of one random metroidvania out there. not even a big franchise, just one random exploration game between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of metroid before smash.
>>
>>316811148
I think at this point you need to stop thinking that things like "being a video game icon" or "has to have a long Nintendo history" is all that huge a part of the selection process. Maybe you think it should be, but in a game with Ryu, Cloud, Lucina, Dark Pit, Rosalina, Palutena and Lucas in it obviously those types of things aren't all that necessary.
>>
>>316811148
Yeah I think they were throwing a bone to an undervalued IP, he's not memorable but he had cool potential as far as move sets because of the monado and the franchise deserved more attention anyway
>>
>>316811148
Icon status ONLY works for Third Party characters like Ryu, Cloud, Sonic and Megaman.

It doesn't work for first party characters. It's how fucking Ness got in (but that's due to Hal Labs bias with Sakurai and Itoi)

Why did you think Sakurai chose Ice Climbers in Melee?
>>
File: Super_Anime_Bros.png (2 MB, 2778x1000) Image search: [Google]
Super_Anime_Bros.png
2 MB, 2778x1000
Just tell us you hate the anime art style and say you hate all Characters on pic related for looking anime, add Samus, Little Mac and Ryu to the mix, I would say Captain Falcon cause he actually was in an anime but you fucks are in denial over your favorite Character being in anime.
>>
Where's my Ashley, Nintendo?
WHERE WHERE WHERE
>>
>>316808819
>But would you seriously think that this is a videogame icon?

No, but neither were Ness,Lucas and Marth when they got first added.
>>
>>316812197
Technically, all smash characters are "anime" since all of them were made by japanese people, the only exception being diddy kong.
>>
>>316812197
I could literally make an Anime opening with all these characters and include no cartoony looking characters.
>>
>>316809843

>big franchises
>half of their shit was never localized
>>
>>316815926
Well, big in Japan.
>>
>>316809104

Mother has certainly had it's time to shine in Japan, but the series is now over and not even very popular in the east anymore. And it will never be popular in the west.

Sure, it'll never be forgotten, but it's not a "big" franchise, even if it once was, and it never will be.

That said i'm a life long Mother fan
>>
>>316808819

Characters who were literally whos before Smash:

>Captain Falcon
>Ness
>Ice Climbers
>Marth
>Roy
>Lucas
>Greninja

A character becoming iconic because of Smash is nothing new
>>
>>316811160

Nah son, Kid Icarus was at one point a major Nintendo franchise, up there with Mario, Zelda and Metroid. I was there. I remember.

It just failed to launch with the rest of those guys after NES
>>
File: noanime'.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
noanime'.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>316812197
>>
>>316816329
>Characters who were literally whos before Smash:
>>Captain Falcon
No. Just because you hadn't heard of Captain Falcon before Smash doesn't mean he was a literal who.
>>
>>316816628

Zelda and Metroid have mangas, remove them too
>>
>>316809706
underage detected
>>
>>316817847
Sorry was meant for him >>316809734
>>
File: 3ChTtru[1].jpg (153 KB, 800x460) Image search: [Google]
3ChTtru[1].jpg
153 KB, 800x460
>>316817216
Nevermind that Samus is also an anime style character.
>>
>>316816628
Why isn't Shulk and the rest of the FE cast removed?
>>
>>316818751

Because they've never been in an anime
>>
>>316818751
They never appeared in anime.
>>
>>316808819

>some random RPG

The Xeno series was made by the creators of Final Fantasy. It's basically Final Fantasy's longest running sister franchise.

Also it happened to sell blockbusters on the Wii, and get a Wii U sequel- so there's that.

It has historical, contemporary, and future significance.
>>
>>316818751
>>316818910

Then why is Roy covered? He wasn't in an anime. Marth is the only one
>>
>>316808819

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Takahashi

This is the reason OP.

The guy who made Shulk made Chronotrigger, Final Fantasy 5, Final Fantasy 6, and wrote the prototype plot for Final Fantasy 7. (Not to mention the Xeno series)

Also his Wife basically created the Romancing Saga franchise.

He's a big deal JRPG developer and Shulk was his latest poster boy.
>>
File: consider it.jpg (104 KB, 800x563) Image search: [Google]
consider it.jpg
104 KB, 800x563
>>316816329

Uh...anyone who had an SNES knew Falcon.

F-Zero was bundled with the damn system at one point.

OH WAIT YOU'RE UNDERAGE
pic related!
>>
>>316809734
>implying Mothershit didn't got popular thanks to Smash Bros
>>
>>316812513
in the trash
>>
>>316817216
Metroid is based on Alien
>>
>>316822605
and Zelda is based on western/medieval shit what's your point
>>
>>316816329
>>Captain Falcon
SNES F-ZERO FUCKER
>>
>>316822710
Zelda was based on young Miyamoto lurking in caves and shit in japan

still jap
>>
It's like Kid Icarus in Brawl,

keep in mind that when Smash 4 was released Xenoblade for New3DS was already almost released too
>>
File: K. Rool new model.png (158 KB, 347x430) Image search: [Google]
K. Rool new model.png
158 KB, 347x430
srsly, can anyone explain to me how this guy could get a place in Smash? I get that you like him, he's the main char of your favourite western platformer, or whatever. But would you seriously think that this is a videogame icon? he's the main antagonist of one random western platformer out there. not even a big franchise, just one random western platformer between many. desu i'm not even sure if i ever heard of DKC before smash.
>>
>>316822846
that was the concept inspiration, as in exploring caves (dungeons), not the world/setting inspiration (horse-riding knight saving princess)
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.