[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was anyone else underwhelmed by Cloud getting in? I mean, sure,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 80
File: WUPP_AX_scrnCn17_02_Ev11c.jpg (284 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WUPP_AX_scrnCn17_02_Ev11c.jpg
284 KB, 1920x1080
Was anyone else underwhelmed by Cloud getting in?

I mean, sure, he's from a very iconic game series (much like the rest of the third parties), and a lot of people were surprised to see him get added, but I just feel like it's too much.

When I watched his trailer, the only thing I could think was that this wasn't something we haven't seen before. For starters, Smash is supposed to be a game about Nintendo All-Stars. And while that regulation may be exploited at times, most characters that overrule it have a good case.

Like with Sonic, he doesn't have much of a future, and was Mario's rival for a long time. Not only that, but he looks like a Nintendo character as well.

Pac-Man is a similar case to Sonic, along with the fact that he's the most popular video game icon of all time.

Ryu is the face of fighting games, and that correlation with Smash works him in a spot.

Snake can be argued over, but let's face it, we were too hyped at the time to put any thought into it. Also, he's not present in this game either.

And then you have Cloud. Like I said, he is indeed the face of RPG games, but I still feel like he's pushing it. Not to mention that Final Fantasy hasn't been very relevant to Nintendo significantly lately; Cloud in particular. What I'm trying to say is, that in a way it's starting to feel like the bread and butter of third-party characters is being whittled down now because they're so frequent.

It's becoming less of a Nintendo All-Star fighting game and more of a Video Game Industry Battle Royale. He doesn't really do anything new, either. We already have a ton of JRPG protagonist swordsmen in the game, so I don't see how he brings anything new to the table in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>316556383
No, I was more hyped then I ever thought I would ever be at the prospect of cloud strife in a smash game, largely because I thought it would never happen. It was like I was in 5th grade all over again.
>>
It would of made more sense to have someone from FF1 to FF6 since those games were actually on a Nintendo console.
>>
>>316556383
>For starters, Smash is supposed to be a game about Nintendo All-Stars.
It's approaching 60 characters.
There's no viable way for it to continue being Nintendo exclusive while still managing to include newcomers worth hyping. The selections are only going to get progressively more niche and recent like we saw with SSB4, since once you reach the D listers it becomes a game of "I can't believe they added this tertiary Mario character over my favorite Mario spinoff character, and how dare they include that obscure Wii game over this obscure GBA game!"

The series needs to evolve if it wants the newcomers to stay interesting, and making it THE crossover game for videogame history is a great solution to that. Who the fuck wants Waddle Dee or Starfy when characters like Ryu and Cloud Strife are fair game?

>so I don't see how he brings anything new to the table in terms of gameplay.
His limit break bar can be charged (probably with his down special and being hit) in order to activate his limits, which totally changes the functions of his special moves.
There's a lot they can do with that.
>>
I just wanted someone with an original moveset. There are only two unique swordsmen in Smash. Three if you count Metaknight.
>>
They should add every Squaresoft character to be honest desu.
>>
>>316556881

Like who?

Honestly Cloud is the only one that makes sense when pitting a character of equal caliber to Megaman, Ryu, Sonic, and PacMan.
>>
>>316557424
>It's approaching 60 characters.
There's no viable way for it to continue being Nintendo exclusive while still managing to include newcomers worth hyping. The selections are only going to get progressively more niche and recent like we saw with SSB4, since once you reach the D listers it becomes a game of "I can't believe they added this tertiary Mario character over my favorite Mario spinoff character, and how dare they include that obscure Wii game over this obscure GBA game

This holy fuck. Theyve wittled away just about every well known character they have and it was bound to happen after 4 games. With that and the DLC in mind it has me worried what the newcomer list will look like for smash 5
>>
Because people have been saying it in a hurf durf way for a million years.

It feels like very close to waking up and finding out Goku is in Smash.
>>
I can't say I'm disappointed or anything but I'm not really feeling any hype like I did for the other third parties. I get why he was chosen, since he's fucking Cloud and his inclusion is guaranteed buzz and cash in the bank, but I would have preferred something like a Black Mage. More potential and more history with Nintendo.

Granted I'm one of the few people on the planet that hasn't bothered to play FF7 so maybe that has something to do with it.
>>
>>316557424
>The series needs to evolve if it wants the newcomers to stay interesting, and making it THE crossover game for videogame history is a great solution to that. Who the fuck wants Waddle Dee or Starfy when characters like Ryu and Cloud Strife are fair game?
I feel like this is what Smash, as a franchise, will eventually evolve to: the biggest cross-over game ever putting smaller guys like Capcom vs X or Jump All Stars to shame.
>>
>>316557968
>Capcom vs
>Smaller

r u a jokester
>>
>>316556383
Me.

Cloud could even be considered an iconic PlayStation character back in the day, also his style seems pretty similar to Ike, even his FS.

Also if they wanted to include a FF they had 6 which was on the SNES, dammit.

And personally, I never liked Cloud as a character.
>>
should have added tifa instead honestly

the game is turning into super slash bros
>>
>>316557968
Smash needs at least another 3 games to reach MvC2's quality of choices and variety.
>>
>>316556383
the only reason i'm not excited about this is because he is in a game I don't like to play. I'll probably buy him when hes out but I look forward to playing as him in project m
>>
>Cloud gets announced
>Come to /v/ expecting everyone to be hype and maybe the odd butthurt sonyfag
>sonyfags don't care
>Smashfags just complain about more anime swordsmen
>FFfags and Nintendofans getting legitimately upset
>>
>>316557723
Or they could of done Mallow or Geno
>>
>>316558026
FF6 has an ensemble cast with none of them being anywhere as significant as Cloud, as much as I like characters like Terra and Sabin.
If they chose anyone from early FF it would have been WoL or Cecil/Kain, but frankly they're not as familiar to most players.
>>
>>316558056
I feel like Smash has gotten more hype than MvC lately. MvC3 is basically dead, after all.
>>
>>316556383

You haven't played his game so you don't have any strong feelings about his inclusion. Whoop de doo.

For everyone else this was the hypest shit.
>>
>>316557914
Black Mage could of been awesome or do something like Pokemon trainer's down b and have it be job change.
>>
File: 1447037158615.gif (1 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1447037158615.gif
1 MB, 300x225
>tfw I never played a single FF game
I guess it's good for people who like him. I've never played FE, XBC, or M3, but I use Ike, Shulk, and Lucas. I'll give him a whirl
>>
What exactly would be the problem with smash becoming a video game industry battle royale? That sounds pretty great to me.
>>
>>316556383
I was kinda underwhelmed by it, first I thought. "Nintendo said no third parties on the survey what the hell?" and then I thought "Chrono or Dragon Quest Hero would be better."
>>
>>316558328
>I've never played FE, XBC, or M3, but I use Ike, Shulk, and Lucas. I'll give him a whirl
After all the characters I liked in Brawl ended up being from franchises I had never played I've made it a goal to try out the game of every character in Smash just to familiarize myself with them.

Except for ROB because tracking a complete set of him and gyromite down at a reasonable price is fucking impossible.
>>
>>316558384
Because people like Smash as Smash, and not as MUGEN with a roster dictated by the front page of Brawl Vaults.
>>
Better that Smash grabbed Cloud rather than Playstation Allstars 2, tbph.
>>
>>316556383
>another swordsman with a bland moveset

I honestly would have taken waifu bait over cloud
>>
>>316558248
Yes, I know Cloud is the most casual of the casual FF characters, but I thought the whole idea was to celebrate Nintendo history, idk.

I'm not feeling it.
>>
>>316558484
>Because people like Smash as Smash

Last time I checked smash4 was still smash.
>>
Cloud was a common "joke request" like Goku or Master Chief. Then it happened and it's kind of disappointing.
>>316556881
At least it's not Lightning.
>>
I hate smash more than is healthy for me and think it is bumfucked retarded to add him.
Final Fantasy hasnt had shit to do with nintendo other than the theatrhythm games since ff 1,2,4,5 and 6 got ported to the gba.

Cloud has no corelation to nintendo and FF has almost nothing to do with it considering all the nintendo ff titles have been released on other platforms many times over.

It actually managed to piss me off and I feel like less of a person for getting resentful of it.
I just dont like smash touching franchises I actually like.
>>
I don't care because I don't own a console for children.
>>
>>316556383

upvoted
>>
>>316558652
>I only play MATURE video games for MATURE people such as myself
>>
>>316558548
> Cloud more casual than Yuna

Nope
>>
>>316556881
It would have made more sense to do Dragon Quest since that was on Nintendo and is probably bigger than early FF in Japan.
>>
>>316556383
Who did you vote for, OP?
>>
>>316558652
But you still play video games

Sasuga anon kun
>>
>>316558469
>Nintendo said no third parties on the survey what the hell?

First of all, they never said that, in fact they said people were allowed to vote on anyone they want regardless of who owns them. Secondly they never specified that Clound was a ballot character, he could be separate but we'll have to wait for more details like that.

>>316558584
I think you're confusing "joke request" with "request often made by the underage and overly nostalgic"
>>
>>316556383

I would have taken Bomberman any fucking day of the week. Cloud being shoved in there just seems like an advertisement to SE.
>>
>>316556383
I was also surprised to see Cloud getting in, but it was an awkward feeling. I like Final Fantasy in general, and I also like FF7, but Cloud...doesn't really seem to fit in. Maybe on the Sony variant of Smash (if people still play it) but not this.
>>
File: constanza wonka.png (267 KB, 335x334) Image search: [Google]
constanza wonka.png
267 KB, 335x334
>>316556383
>underwhelmed
>too much
What kind of a shoddy argument is this? Can't you just appreciate Cloud getting in? You know, the appropriate and expected reaction to a cool character being put into a fun and popular game?
>>
>>316558784
>First of all, they never said that, in fact they said people were allowed to vote on anyone they want regardless of who owns them. Secondly they never specified that Clound was a ballot character, he could be separate but we'll have to wait for more details like that.
They did say that, like right after the ballot started. They said like a day or two afterwards that third party requests would be ignored.
>>
I remember that classic, who-would-win debate between Link and Cloud.

It's cool that this can at least be fully realized in an actual game now.
>>
File: intredasting.png (49 KB, 196x196) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.png
49 KB, 196x196
>>316556383
As someone who loves both smash and FF I like it and it was more than a welcome surprise. That said I don't own Sm4sh anymore so I guess my opinions irrelevant. If I did own the game though he'd be my first DLC purchase from Nintendo ever, as I hate the concept of content being dangled in front of the consumer at a pricetag when you've already paid full price for the game, regardless of if its post or pre release.
>>
>>316556383
I agree.
>>
>>316556383
Me.
>>
>>316558487
>implying he won't be in both with sony paying for all that exclusivity bullshit
>implying sony won't be so creatively bankrupt they won't just copy his moveset wholesale for PSABR
>>
File: contemplative sponge.gif (439 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
contemplative sponge.gif
439 KB, 500x338
Has anyone noticed how the "PlayStation" characters like Snake, Ryu, and Cloud look cooler than the Nintendo characters like Mario, Link, or Pit?
>>
>>316558487
>Better he appear in a game he doesn't belong in than one he would be because I hate a company
>>
>>316559078
>Ryu
>Playstation character

SF2 was a big deal on SNES anon
>>
>>316557683
It's called Dissidia
>>
>>316559120

I wanted to like PSAS though.

It's just not good.
>>
>>316559154
He's probably too young to know that.
>>
>>316556383
After the initial "What?" reaction, Could is pretty much exactly what I would expect after years of "What if this character was in Smash?" speculation. His moveset brings nothing exciting to the table.

That stage looks amazing, though.
>>
>>316559259
>taking pride in being an old man browsing 4chan

lel
>>
>>316556383
I don't care much about Cloud getting in.

Not only that, but all of his abilities literally look like the same as other swordfighters.
>>
>>316558736
I would've probably prefered Yuna because a summoner fighter would've been the shit.
>>
>underwhelmed
I didn't really want Cloud, but underwhelmed is the last word I'd use. He seemed just slightly more likely than Master Chief to me; he's just been so synonymous with Sony. It's a big freaking deal even if you don't like him.
>>
>>316558890
I'm going to need a link because I've never seen that.
>>
>>316559154
And that was the only Nintendo console to get an SF game. N64 didn't get one. GameCube got CvS2 as far as I know, which of course had him. Then he appeared in TvC on the Wii, and finally SF4 on the 3DS. Ryu, like Cloud and Snake, has appeared more consistently on PlayStation consoles than Nintendo consoles.
>>
>>316558137
as someone who gets called a sonygger daily for actually enjoying my ps4, I'm actually happy cloud is in. Sure, it would make more sense to include Marche or a FF1-6 character, but his stage looks very cool and charging his limit seems like a nice mechanic.
>>
>>316559271
I don't play Smash but doesn't he get Climhazzard? Isn't that the single most coolest move in Smash 4?
>>
>>316556383
If Cloud can get in, that means LITERALLY ANYBODY could get in.

Shovel Knight and Shantae now have an actual chance. Importance to Nintendo history is no longer a factor in choosing.
>>
>>316559078

I'm only getting that vibe particularly from Cloud.

It's trying too hard, and it will instantly appeal to that "certain kind" of player instantly.
>>
>>316559448
Fuck that, let's get Niko in. Or fuck him, get his fat cousin Roman in.
>>
>>316556383
it's just two greedy companies collaborating to cash in on a stupid fad. hell i wouldn't be surprised if the december news flash was crash bandicoot or master chief.
>>
>>316559448
Being marketable is still a factor so no they dont
>>
>first 6 Final Fantasies on Nintendo consoles
>FF7 first one on Sony
Okay, I can live with that...

>yet another prettyboy swordsman
Not ideal, but it's not the end of the world.

>has an upcoming remake
Okay! Now we're talking. Cloud is relevant-
>exclusive to PS4
...wat.

Why is Nintendo doing this? They're advertising a competitor's game.
>>
>>316559545
Snake was a blatant ad for MGS4
>>
>>316558056
>MvC2's quality of choices
If they did that it would be half Mario characters and half FE characters seeing how Marvel 2 roster was mostly X Men and Street Fighter
Smash has a better roster by this point
>>
>Cloud is announced
>many oldfags on /v/ aren't impressed

You're growing older. Japan Time 2006 /v/ would be cumming itself.
>>
I frankly didn't care.

When I saw space in the beginning, I thought it was Wolf. Then I saw it was Cloud, and still didn't really care. I didn't want Cloud in.

I'll never be "hyped" unless it's a character I personally wanted. I'm not going to be hyped just because I'm "supposed" to be.
>>
>>316559610
/v/'s just been populated by rosterfags who have very specific opinions on who should be included into Smash.
>>
>>316559601
Yeah, but at least he (and Sonic, and Pacman, Megaman and Ryu) had games on Nintendo consoles.

Cloud is straight-up a Sony character.
>>
>>316559545
To be fair, isn't it "play it first" on the PS4? I really hope it sees a PC version, since FF7 had a PC version a few months after the PS1 version, it would be good to keep the tradition up. If they DO make a PC version, I hope they don't fuck up the port XIII or Type-0 HD style.
>>
>>316558890
>They did say that, like right after the ballot started. They said like a day or two afterwards that third party requests would be ignored.
No, they never fucking did. News sites would have been all over that shit.

Sakurai said they've seen requests like Naruto and SpongeBob, and THOSE get ignored because they're not game characters.
>>
>>316558056
>MVC2's roster
>quality and variety

LOL no. MVC3 blows it out of the water in terms of character choices/representation/variety. MVC2 is just a giant sprite dump.
>>
>>316559271
>That stage looks amazing, though.
A shiny new Battlefield with hazards that Meleefags will bitch about.
>>
File: HilariousinHindsight.png (2 MB, 786x1920) Image search: [Google]
HilariousinHindsight.png
2 MB, 786x1920
>>316559681
honestly I think some smashfags care more about roster politics than the game itself. Only explanation for being more hyped over anything on this list than Cloud Strife
>>
>>316559525
>Being marketable is still a factor so no they dont
I'm not even a Shantaefag but Christ you people are stupid. Shantae has a new game coming out, ALL of her games (save for the Apple Watch one) are on Nintendo consoles, and she started on the GBC.
>>
>>316559610
that might be more due to FF being old
>>
File: file.png (12 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
file.png
12 KB, 256x224
>not Bimmy and Jimmy
>not Kunio
>not even a Technos rep
>considering Technos made loads of games for Nintendo consoles

Jesus.
>>
>>316558808
>just seems like an advertisement
every smash character is an advertisement
>>
>>316559906
Not him but I didn't even know about Shantae until I saw her on /v/
>>
>>316556383
>Smash is supposed to be a game about Nintendo All-Stars
No, it's a game about making money through sales of DLC and amiibos.
>>
>>316559610
Could you imagine if Smash 4 was the first Smash? People would be shitting themselves.

MARIO LINK DK FOX CAPT FALCON PIKACHU MEGAMAN RYU PAC-MAN SONIC CLOUD and SO MANY MORE in the SAME GAME. FIGHTING.

And we would never have to deal with hypercompetitive Melee/PM fags.
>>
>>316559863
When was Cooking Mama on anything NOT Nintendo? Did she have a phone game in Japan?
>>
>>316559906
nobody knows Shantae
>>
File: samusbeer.jpg (245 KB, 449x449) Image search: [Google]
samusbeer.jpg
245 KB, 449x449
>>316559448
>Shovel Knight and Shantae now have an actual chance. Importance to Nintendo history is no longer a factor in choosing.

Importance to Nintendo history was never a factor considering Snake.

What is and always has been a factor, however is their importance to video games as a whole. Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu and Cloud are all notable icons in the gaming world. Shovel Knight and Shantae are not. That's why they won't be in.
>>
>>316559998
And that's supposed to mean that no one gives a shit because you personally didn't know about her?

I knew about her since the original game was shown in Nintendo Power in the 90's, and I'm sure many other American kids did too at the time.
>>
File: file.png (163 KB, 308x386) Image search: [Google]
file.png
163 KB, 308x386
>>316560059
Okay then, how long until we see Claude from GTA3?
>>
>>316560040
>nobody knows
I forgot, tomorrow's Saturday. No school.

"Nobody knows" is wrong. People know who a character is.
>>
>>316560174
I'm sorry, I mean nobody except neckbeards on /v/ or /r/smashbros know who Shantae is
>>
Speaking of, why the hell isn't the protagonist of Final Fantasy 1 the big iconic face of the franchise? Was he boring or some shit?

Like why was the SEVENTH protagonist the one to become the icon?
>>
>>316560257
there is no set protagonist in 1. You get to choose your heroes
>>
>>316560257
The first three FFs didn't have a singular protagonist, that didn't start until 4. FF7 was the first FF game to be a worldwide breakthrough.
>>
>>316560103
>you, a power nerd, knew about Shantae
>this makes her popular
okay
>>
File: no cloud.png (399 KB, 624x330) Image search: [Google]
no cloud.png
399 KB, 624x330
Cloud getting in was a mistake. This is what the smash roster should look like. Anyone who disagrees is an idiot.
>>
>>316559906
I'd actually like Shantae but Nintendo's been going for cut characters fans of Smash are already attached to and household names for Smash DLC, because that shit sells the most.
I don't see them throwing in Shantae, a character admittedly pretty niche and only has a cult following, when they can toss Snake back into the game and make millions.

Maybe if she does super well in the character poll but she has a lot of competition there.
>>
>>316559448
Even though Cloud has no relevance to Nintendo, he's the face of Final Fantasy (one of the world's most popular series that started off on a Nintendo console). And so far, only large Japanese publishers have had third-party representation in Smash (Konami, Sega, Capcom, Bandai-Namco and now Square-Enix).

Meanwhile, Shovel Knight and Shantae are from relatively niche franchises in a genre that has far more iconic characters already in the game (Mario, DK, Kirby, Yoshi, etc.).
>>
>>316559545
Because maybe companies don't give a fuck about console wars?
>>
>>316560341
FF2 had a singular protagonist with Firion. It even has character arcs for everyone but Guy.
The game just wasn't that big of a hit.
>>
>>316560257
7 was just the most popular. Most of that has to do with it being a big killer app for the Playstation and it pushing a lot of big shit like FMVs which were mind blowing at the time.
>>
>>316556383
Who wouldve been your ideal alternative?

>>316560360
Your roster is shit and I can show you why.
>>
>>316559407
Nes got a Street fighter, Street Fighter 2010. That said Street Fighter is on every console, it was on Dreamcast, PC Engine, and Xbox 360 too man.

Honestly Street Fighter is probably more associated with arcade cabinets than home console. Though Snake and Cloud are definitely PS characters.
>>
File: Super loli Waifus.png (187 KB, 720x165) Image search: [Google]
Super loli Waifus.png
187 KB, 720x165
>>316560476
Forgot picture. Goddammit.
>>
>>316559271
>His moveset brings nothing exciting to the table.

Just like half the newcomers for smash.
>>
>>316560257
In FF1 you selected your party from a handful of jobs and named the characters yourself. There was no real main character.

The recent crossovers reworked the Amano artwork for the warrior into Warrior of Light but that was only in the PSP era, way after Cloud was established as the series' big main hero.
>>
>The series needs to evolve if it wants the newcomers to stay interesting, and making it THE crossover game for videogame history is a great solution to that. Who the fuck wants Waddle Dee or Starfy when characters like Ryu and Cloud Strife are fair game?
Well said. Smash isn't just about Nintendo now. Its about the icons for every genre of video game. I used to want more Nintendo characters but since Cloud trailer ive changed my mind a bit. Sure i still want Dixie and K Rool because DK is kind of under represented but Id rather have Rayman or maybe Bomberman
>>
>>316560552
>Two Toadettes
>No Lip
>>
>>316560360
Inklings are the only one I can agree with, I think Viewtiful Joe is too niche and doesn't fit the aesthetic. Goku is too MUGEN and all the others are memes
>>
>>316559448
Nigga did you just compared an icon of gaming to indie characters?
>>
File: 1441314294031.gif (879 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
1441314294031.gif
879 KB, 245x230
Considering FF7 was originally an N64 title, Cloud represents one of the biggest failures of Nintendo's history.

He also represents some of the stiffest competition Nintendo ever encountered.

To me it seems that putting Cloud in is not far off from putting Crash Bandicoot in.

Feels wrong.
>>
File: 250px-Pac-Man_SSB4.png (46 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
250px-Pac-Man_SSB4.png
46 KB, 250x250
>>316560573
A lot of the newcomers in Smash have something or other that makes them stand out.

Rosalina has the Luma, Little Mac has the power meter/KO punch, Robin has durability on his weapons, Palutena has fully unique custom moves, Shulk has the Monado Arts, Ryu has SF inputs, and now Cloud has the Limit Break stuff.

Even the characters who aren't exactly based around a single gimmick or mechanic have really unique and unorthodox playstyles like Villager, Duck Hunt and Pac-Man. The only newcomers who didn't really add anything were Dark Pit and Lucina, who were just alt costumes slapped together as playable characters at the last minute.
>>
ARE YOU KIDDING NIGGA. I AM HYPE AS FUCK.
>Video Game Industry Battle Royale
Why would you not want this?
>>
>>316556383

I'm pretty hyped, but I am underwhelmed with what his moveset looks like so far.

It seems like his only unique feature is the slashy projectiles. Outside of that, he just looks like a combination of ike and marth.

They could have made it much more interesting, he has access to magic and shit, after all.
>>
>>316560728
>memes

>skull kid
>ashley
>Banjo
>alucard
>simon
>chibi robo

There is honestly no way that you're this much of a faggot.

I agree with the goku and joe thing though.
>>
>>316560753
>the stiffest competition Nintendo ever encountered.

>PS1 outsold the N64 3 to 1 globally, N64 was Xbox tier in Japan
>Nintendo lost ALL of their third parties (Square, Konami, Capcom, Sunsoft, Taito, etc) to Sony
>PS1's domination ensured that the PS2 would dominate effortlessly, despite Nintendo's best efforts

>only "stiff" competition

More like a slaughter.
>>
>>316556383
I honestly just want a crossover fighting game with a fuckhuge roster of a bunch of characters from a huge variety of games. Yeah, I fucking know, it's autistic as shit, but it would also be cool as hell.
>>
>>316560360
>Cloud was a mistake
>Sora is there
Here's your reply.
>>
>>316559407
I believe that Street Fighter II: The World Warrior is the fourth best-selling fighting game of all time (behind Brawl, Tekken 3 and Melee). If you combine the sales with that of Street Fighter II Turbo, it jumps up to second place.

I'd say that, historically, Ryu's appearances on Nintendo consoles have been far more iconic.
>>
>>316560910
>Taito

Always wondered what the correct pronunciation for this is...
>>
File: Black Mage.png (102 KB, 350x400) Image search: [Google]
Black Mage.png
102 KB, 350x400
>>316557723
>>
>>316559154
>>316559078
Ryu will always be an arcade icon to me. I still can't believe SFV won't have a cabinet after a year or two like SSFIV AE.
>>
>>316561087
It's "tie toe."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA14X_3ggQ4
>>
>>316560059
Snake was on NES flimfam. Snake's Revenge is a NES exclusive.
>>
>>316561089
Not that I disagree, but genetic black Mage is still nowhere near as well known as Cloud is.
>>
>>316561013
Err, not a fighting game like Tekken or SF, I meant a... Whatever you call Smash Bros. and PS All Stars. More likely to happen and not nearly as much of a nightmare to balance as a legit fighting game.
>>
>>316560891
did you ignore the limit break shit?
>>
>>316556383
Entirely underwhelmed. It's very obviously just shilling for the FF7 remake.

The only level on which I'm positive towards it is that it's impressive just how fanboy dicksuckery it really is. It's like something straight off of one of those early 00's video game rumour sites. Other than that, he's just another boring anime swordsman to me.
>>
>>316556383

I'm just going to come out and say I agree with this guy >>316557424

The roster is so big and so good at this point that pretty much everyone super important from nintendo is already in. Any nintendo exclusive character that isn't already in smash already has their series represented, likely by more than one character already OR is kind of niche. I'd have loved to see Ray 01 as much as the next guy but come on. Is whoever YOU voted for honestly fit to sit on the mantle next to Cloud Strife, Megaman, Ryu, Pacman, and Sonic? There are very few existing characters able to fill in a spot among those guys. I mean who REALLY is Cloud going up against when all the most important people are already in smash? K Rool? Shantae? Bandanna Dee? Cloud is more important, more recognizable, and more liked than those characters combined, whether you like him or not.

Not to mention we still have what is likely going to be two ballot characters which probably will be nintendo characters.
>>
>>316560910
Well, atleast the N64 still sold more than the Saturn.

and the Wii U
>>
>>316556383
I agree.

But I just fucking pray that Sakurai never, ever, put that cancer sora en Smash Bros.

Never.
>>
>>316560753
But Sonic is ok.
>>
>>316561410
Sora probably wont get in because they'd have to deal with fucking Disney.
>>
>>316561250
I know but he isn't exactly super important to Nintendo. That was the primary argument against him returning in Smash 4. I always kept seeing people say Simon Belmont "deserved" it more because he was closer to Nintendo or something.
>>
>>316559863
I think it's less a matter of "lol rosterfags are mad" and more an argument of fanservice over functionality.

If you're just in it for the fanservice factor "make Link and Mario and Cloud fight because that's fucking crazy" then you'd love his inclusion, but to anyone who doesn't care as much about that and just wants unique mechanics then Cloud doesn't really blow anyone away as much.

Of course it's hard to say he won't be fun or unique since no one's played him yet or even has all the facts together but most will look at the swordplay and be unimpressed.
>>
>>316561387
Did you the Saturn was actually beating the PS1 in Japan? Do you know what game made the PS1 trounce the Saturn?

There's an alternate reality where Sega kicked Sony out of the console market before they gained significant traction.
>>
>>316561370
>more recognizable than K Rool

Sales numbers of games he's appeared in alone state that he is not, but the others sure.
>>
>characters from neat franchises like Rhythm Heaven or Advance Wars will never get in
>characters from existing franchises won't get added because they're all giant dinosaurs
>if you're not representative of multi million selling games you're not even a possibility
Feels bad, man. Everyone's just jerkin' their dicks as hard and fast as they can to sales charts.
>>
>>316561261

Mog or a generic Moogle.
>>
>>316558754
Yeah, but that has no worldwide appeal. Only weebs care about Dragon Quest outside Japan.
>>
>>316561456

Except Sonic eventually had games on Nintendo consoles.

In fact SA2 is one of the Gamecube's best selling titles.
>>
>>316561465
Dunno. Metal Gear was popular on NES and popular enough to warrant an exclusive sequel. Maybe because I grew up with Snake's Revenge, but everyone I knew played the game.
>>
I don't care for Smash and FF7 was okay, but not the best jrpg ever like people treat it.
>>
File: latest[1].png (73 KB, 204x346) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
73 KB, 204x346
>>316561637
Only 100 gems to use my Final Smash, kupo!
>>
>>316561089
I agree 10000000%

>Represents Final Fantasy series as a whole, unlike Cloud
>Not another swordsman
>More "cartoony" style fits well with other Nintendo characters
>Moveset writes itself: ice1,fire2,lightning3...
>>
Yes. Although he is a cool character, his announcement had no impact whatsoever.
Now he's just one more generic anime sword fighter in smash. If they had to take an FF char, why not a mage?

It's just that there would have been 100 better candidates.
>>
>>316561547
If K. Rool were the protagonist or something of all those games then maybe but he was just an NPC that usually only showed up at the end. DK himself got the bulk of the exposure since he was the star.
>>
>>316561721
No, the argument is solid, it's just that K Rool is more recognizable AKA recognized by more people than Cloud.

>>316561783
DK was an NPC in DKC2 and 3.
>>
As a follow up to my previous post

>>316561370

Give it a year of Cloud being out and in the game and he will fit in perfectly and won't feel like a weird inclusion anymore. We just need to get used to it. He really doesn't fit in the game any less than Snake did, in fact I'd argue that Snake fit in even less than Cloud does. Once the dust has settled and everyone has both played as and against Cloud for a few months I'm sure he will settle in just fine.

>>316561547

Sales of the Donkey Kong games he was featured in, sure. Donkey and Diddy Kong are already in Smash. I like K. Rool too but your argument is weakened unless they make like a Donkey Kong Country: K Rool's Revenge game where he is prominently featured that sells millions of copies just off of the merit of K. Rool and not the Kongs. Until then, he definitely takes a back seat to the main protagonists who are already in smash, front and center.
>>
>>316561774
But not every Nintendo character is cartoony.
>>
>>316561774

Add me to the agree list.

Nintendo fucked up on this.
>>
>>316561507
>but to anyone who doesn't care as much about that and just wants unique mechanics then Cloud doesn't really blow anyone away as much.

I learned form this series though you can't really makes the call just from seeing a trailer, or it's a character you asked for.

Say that I even voted for Cloud in the Ballot. It's still up in the air if I'm going to like his play style or not, when he's available to play with.
>>
>>316561664
Sonic represents some of the stiffest competition Nintendo ever encountered.

Feels wrong.
>>
File: 1385507286276.png (184 KB, 563x548) Image search: [Google]
1385507286276.png
184 KB, 563x548
Smash 3rd parties need to be gaming icons, not random literal whos like "muh generic black mage"

Also fuck off with this "they need to be super relevant to Nintendo to get into Smash" mentality. Sakurai only cares to add characters he thinks they're fun.
>>
I was legit shocked he got in. In a good way. I know FF7 isn't the greatest JRPG ever or anything, but it's very iconic, and lets be honest: Everyone wants that game of Cloud vs Link.
>>
>>316561919
Cloud isn't a gaming icon.

>Sakurai only cares to add characters he thinks they're fun.
Except when Nintendo tells him to include things for marketing purposes.
>>
File: 1352765052006.png (76 KB, 200x242) Image search: [Google]
1352765052006.png
76 KB, 200x242
>>316561827

>K Rool is more recognizable AKA recognized by more people than Cloud.

Did you think about what you said before you wrote it?
>>
>>316561975
>the protagonist of the most popular RPG in history isn't a gaming icon

Ok
>>
>>316556383
>Was anyone else
Screw off.
>>
>>316562015
Yes, that's why it's correct. When you put thought into things you'll find they come out more reasonable than when you just spout shit based on nothing.
>>
File: 2544011-4792423160-brain.gif (518 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
2544011-4792423160-brain.gif
518 KB, 320x240
>>316561827
>K Rool is more recognizable AKA recognized by more people than Cloud.
>>
>>316561975

You make is sound as though you never owned a non Nintendo console.
>>
>>316561919
>Black Mage is literally who

He's pretty iconic. Not as iconic as Cloud but he's not exactly unheard of. I wanted him more because he seems like he would offer way more to a moveset than Cloud. The relevance to Nintendo is just gravy.
>>
>>316559054
>implying PSABR isn't ded as fuck
kekken
>>
>>316561975
>The mascot of a game that consistently lands best game of all time awards, acts as a mascot of one of the biggest publishers, is the most recognizable character in the biggest RPG franchise in the industry, and put JRPGs and Sony on the map isn't an icon

Sure.
>>
>>316562045
Yes, that's correct. He was in one well-selling game more than a decade ago then disappeared back into the aether.

>most popular RPG in history
FF7 isn't even the best selling JRPG of all time.
>>
>>316560753
>Cloud represents one of the biggest failures of Nintendo's history.
Nintendo been known to embrace their failures many times
>>
>>316561827
>K. Rool fags are this delusional
This is why I make fun of you fags.
>>
>>316561919
>Black Mage is a literal who despite being featured in the most FF games
>Vivi is unpopular despite being featured a bunch of top 10s
>Black Mage wasn't the sole representative on the cover of the Playstation boxart of FFXIV

Even Dragoon would have been better.
>>
>>316562163
>sales = popularity

>people recognize a fatass crocodile from some SNES game more than Cloud, the protagonist of one of the most influential JRPGS in history

Kill yourself
>>
>>316562237

I figure if we keep asking questions, we'd begin to see cracks.
>>
I think desu baka senpai kek
>>
>>316561827
>DK was an NPC in DKC2 and 3.

He was also a major character of many more games before and after those two. K. Rool never amounted to anything beyond NPC except for one forgotten Mario spinoff.

Seriously, use your head.
>>
>>316556383
Nah
>>
>>316562180
R.O.B helped get the NES off the ground so in that sense it wasn't a total failure
>>
what's up with his arm?

is that shit robotic?
>>
>>316556383
I think the concept of Cloud in Smash is awesome, but I'm not hyped since I don't give a fuck about Smash 4.
>>
File: g7gazhoko9zo80jhelvi[1].gif (3 MB, 636x376) Image search: [Google]
g7gazhoko9zo80jhelvi[1].gif
3 MB, 636x376
>>316562180
>>
>>316562287
>sales = popularity
Yes, literally, by the definition of the word "popularity". The more a game sells, the more popular it is, and the more people know its characters.

>the protagonist of one of the most influential JRPGS in history
Nice goalpost moving.
>>
>>316561975

Dude Cloud is basically Link tier when it comes to how iconic he is. It's pretty reasonable to say that he's the biggest JRPG protagonist that's ever existed to this point.

>>316562057

If Smash Bros didn't have a character ballot nobody would give a fuck about K Rool, much less discuss him or care about him at all. You could have played a few DKC games 15 years ago and have easily forgotten K Rool ever existed, as most people outside of /v/ and other video game community websites certainly have. On the other hand, every person who's ever played or even seen FF7 knows who Cloud is. Or Kingdom Hearts which has a fuck huge fanbase of its own. People who have never played a Final Fantasy game know who Cloud is. I bet you there are people who beat DKC who don't know who K Rool is. (Obviously anyone who's beaten the game recently would know who he is.)

You can't just look at data like sales numbers and draw conclusions from it that completely disregard reality.
>>
File: 1445474820157.gif (3 MB, 240x135) Image search: [Google]
1445474820157.gif
3 MB, 240x135
>>316556383
>I wanted a Dragon Quest or Castlevania rep
>edgy origami hair gets in
>>
File: 1447396989157.jpg (249 KB, 1116x1000) Image search: [Google]
1447396989157.jpg
249 KB, 1116x1000
>>316556383
I just want to know if they are actually going to add King K Rool or not. If no, then fine, Smash 5 is good for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbPR8VdOeCA
>>
>>316562180
I thought that ROB was the reason the Famicom was even allowed to be sold or something like that?
>>
>>316562364
>He was also a major character of many more games before and after those two.
Unlike Cloud.

Nice.
>>
He's keeping us waiting, huh?
>>
File: 1443837395905.png (150 KB, 347x355) Image search: [Google]
1443837395905.png
150 KB, 347x355
>yet another anime swordsman
>>
>>316562448
What fucking point are you trying to make here?
That DK is more well known than Cloud?
>>
>>316562402

Which DQ character should it have been?

I really don't know which one.
>>
>>316562394
>Dude Cloud is basically Link tier when it comes to how iconic he is.
You must be joking.

>You can't just look at data like sales numbers and draw conclusions from it that completely disregard reality.
Sorry, but your personal biases don't constitute reality. Unless you have something solid to back up your claims then you're just spouting unfounded nonsense based on what you personally feel.
>>
File: aae.jpg (12 KB, 266x279) Image search: [Google]
aae.jpg
12 KB, 266x279
>tfw that K Rool is more recognizable than Cloud guy actually seemed reasonable and ok before he shot himself in the foot with that stupid bullshit and now everyone is laughing at him
>>
>>316562515
Think hard.
>>
>>316562534
>You must be joking.
What rock do you live under
Were you even alive when the PS1 released?
>>
>>316556383
If he was Chrono from Chrono Trigger I or a Dragon quest character, I could understand being hyped but Not shit strife.
>>
>>316562393
By your logic Wii Fit Trainer is more recognizable than Master Chief because Wii Fit sold fuckloads millions more than Halo
>>
>>316562448
Yes? Donkey Kong is indeed a more popular and iconic character than Cloud. That's not the argument. The argument is about K. Rool.

Having a starring appearance in a single popular game followed by numerous additional appearances in spinoffs does equal more popularity than being a rarely seen NPC in a handful of well selling games and then disappearing off the face of the earth.
>>
>>316562394
>Dude Cloud is basically Link tier
Let's not get carried away now.
>>
>>316560419
Who's saying anything about console wars? I'm talking about selling Big Macs at Burger King.
inb4 >food analogy
>>
gtfo OP no one cares but your shit opinions
>>
>>316562525
I would think Erdrick, or a slime

or both
>>
I'm not that excited by Cloud simply because his moveset doesn't look much different from the Fire Emblem characters but with him and Ryu in, the possibilities for new characters becomes a lot more exciting than simply scraping the bottom of the barrel of Nintendo characters. It does seem strange to me that they picked a character that has nothing to do with Nintendo but in time we'll care less and less about holding onto the idea of "Nintendo All-Stars" and just enjoy it or shitpost about it for what it is.

Also now there's no reason not to have Banjo. Surely it's only a matter of time until he's in.
>>
>>316556383
Best thing about dlc is I don't have to buy the cloud dlc.
I probably never will, but this is what made smash bros jump the shark, and ff7 fags ruin the series with their votes.
>>
>>316559545
Nintendo don't see themselves as direct competition for Sony and Microsoft.

Besides, FFVII HD might be on NX or something, the new Dragon Quest is.
>>
>>316562534
>>316562625

Link is the face of The Legend of Zelda.

Cloud is the face of Final Fantasy (at this point)

Do you really think its ridiculous to compare the two franchises in terms of popularity? One of them could be a little bit more popular sure, but they are absolutely comparable. In fact, if I wanted to just look at pure sales numbers myself like that other guy I gaurentee you the Final Fantasy series has sold waaaaay more games than The Legend of Zelda.

In fact, Final Fantasy 7 has sold 11 million copies in comparison to Ocarina of times 7.5 million. If you combine the sales of Ocarina of Time AND the Ocarina of Time remake on the 3DS, then you get 11 million copies sold. How do you want to refute that hard data buddy?
>>
>>316562615
The WiiFit series hasn't outsold Halo. At least try to get your facts correct if you want to shitpost.
>>
File: 3656b6_2199832.jpg (132 KB, 1062x610) Image search: [Google]
3656b6_2199832.jpg
132 KB, 1062x610
>>316556383
Underwhelmed and a little irritated.

This fuck gets in everywhere. His only addition to the game is because little shits wouldn't recognize any other Final Fantasy character who was actually on a Nintendo console.

It's like that because those little shits don't actually LIKE final fantasy, or even know anything about it. They just like Cloud because they were always told Cloud was the best, or maybe FF7 came with their playstations when they were young.

A travesty. Literally getting in because he's popular enough. I see zero reason to not put in just any fucking popular character now as long as it gets the little kids to buy the game.

Why not Naruto? Or Luffy? Or Goku? Or Superman? You might as well, if this is the angle Sm4sh is going for. I mean, if it was never about celebrating nintendo's culture, then they should have just went for broke and try to include everyone in who make make people give a damn.

Popular characters from movies and television? Sure.
Memes? Why not.
Why even have a character selection? Just load in your Amiibo and that'll be the way you select a character.

The sky is the limits when you throw out your fucking rules like Nintendo has.
>>
>>316561704
The nose knows
>>
File: 1447202324327.jpg (132 KB, 1649x931) Image search: [Google]
1447202324327.jpg
132 KB, 1649x931
>>316559512
>>
>>316562712
well at the risk of there being another anime swordsman

maybe

well no, since Pokemon Trainer isn't a thing any more... It would be fucking excellent to have a Monster Scouter as a character, switch between Slime, Dracky, and Platypunk
>>
>>316562852
Link is the face of Zelda at 73million games sold.

Cloud has been in one Final Fantasy game at 10million games sold.

You are utterly retarded to even compare them.
>>
>>316560453
>Implying "Guy speak beaver" wasn't the greatest character arc in the entire franchise.
>>
File: ff5 50367440_p0.png (1 MB, 1415x1381) Image search: [Google]
ff5 50367440_p0.png
1 MB, 1415x1381
>>316562862
That's because the only good Nintendo FF character is Butz, but since his game didn't come to America when it should have, American FF fans go "LUL FF5 IT'S OK BUT 4 AND 6 ARE BETTER THAN IT" because they have no nostalgia for it.

Thankfully Japan gives him the respect he deserves.
>>
File: ALL STAR MODE.png (343 KB, 550x440) Image search: [Google]
ALL STAR MODE.png
343 KB, 550x440
>>316562862
>yfw you'll finally be able to play as your favorite Nintendo All-Star, Benito Mussolini
>>
>>316562862
>Why not Naruto? Or Luffy? Or Goku? Or Superman? You might as well, if this is the angle Sm4sh is going for.

Why does everyone start jumping to this? Cloud is still a video game character and Smash is still a video game all-star crossover.
>>
>>316562852

Link is the face of an entire franchise. Cloud is the face of one of the more popular games of a franchise. The scale is drastically different.

Now if you're talking about Moogles or Chocobos, then I might agree.
>>
Also, cloud was from a game for the PS1, not a nintendo exclusive. Adding him to the roster doesnt feel right and doesn't fit well with the atmosphere.
>>
File: 1445473093983.jpg (15 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
1445473093983.jpg
15 KB, 224x225
what's the point if they aren't even trying to add new characters with uncommon weapons?
>>
>>316562963
Not that anon but
>one Final Fantasy game
>included in multiple of spin offs
>a movie
>>
File: 1447106689272.png (166 KB, 256x251) Image search: [Google]
1447106689272.png
166 KB, 256x251
>>316561827
this fucking guy
>>
>>316562862

To be entirely honest with you buddy I'm sure a lot more people would be happier with Naruto, Goku, or Superman than some obscure shitty leftover nintendo character like Shantae, Takamaru or Chibi Robo. It would drive sales more and more people would be happier that way. I'm not even trying to be bias, I'd rather have Chibi Robo or Ray 01 than Naruto or Goku, but I can't deny that really there are more good reasons to do exactly what you're joking about.

>>316562963

>lowering 11 million to 10 million to try and save his failing argument

Cloud is the face of Final Fantasy because every FF game doesn't have the same protagonist like TToZ does, I know that's obvious to you and you're being intentionally dishonest because you are obviously so bias against Cloud and not even trying to hide it. So now that we have shown to you that Final Fantasy and Cloud are on par with Link and TLoZ, are you going to say that K Rool is on the same level as Link dude? Really?
>>
>>316563193
Sorry. I'll use your numbers then.

Link is the face of Zelda at 73million games sold.

Cloud has been in one Final Fantasy game at 10million games sold.

You are utterly retarded to even compare them.
>>
File: 415115.png (206 KB, 474x528) Image search: [Google]
415115.png
206 KB, 474x528
>>316561975
>Implying Sakurai wasn't already a Final Fantasy fanboy.
>Whoa! BM can use lighting and fire spells! XD

Black Mage brings literally nothing new to the table and it's a generic job with pitiful characterization. If you wanted to make the case for one, you shoulda went with Vivi. Granted, both are shit, but at least the latter is an actual fucking character with any kind of development. Stop samefagging so hard and being a butt blasted hyper autist. It's over. Bargain Brand Same Face Mage isn't happening.
>>
File: nedr.jpg (95 KB, 545x353) Image search: [Google]
nedr.jpg
95 KB, 545x353
>>316563193
>He's the face of every game even the ones he's not in because I say so, so all of their sales gives him popularity points but this doesn't count for Link and Zelda even when referring to games he has starred in and the only game you are allowed to count is OoT because I say so

You're just fucking with me, right?
>>
File: file.png (113 KB, 305x248) Image search: [Google]
file.png
113 KB, 305x248
>>316562862
We should put Hitler in next. I mean, he's shown up in plenty of video games, the most infamous one being the NES version of Bionic Commando.
>>
>>316563263
And Final Fantasy as a series is well over 100+ million games sold, with Cloud being the mascot of the series.

>Cloud has been in one Final Fantasy game
You pretty blatantly don't know shit about Final Fantasy considering he's been in something like 30+ games.
>>
>>316556383

I'm not underwhelmed, but I'm not overwhelmed either. I'm just whelmed.
>>
>>316563363

If you really think that this is just my opinion that I conjured up out of my ass out of nowhere, then you are either just blind or intentionally ignorant.

When people say Final Fantasy, talk of Cloud is not far behind. He is the face of the series, even though SE tried to bury him behind Lightning and failed. The only other acceptable FF character to put in the game would be Warrior of Light, which would have been a more "nintendo" character. But if you want the main character from the most popular, definitive, and most iconic Final Fantasy game, its obviously Cloud.
>>
>>316561774

>not making the spells smash attacks that gain different properties based on how long they're charged
You fucked up senpai
>>
>>316563487
>with Cloud being the mascot of the series
He's not, you fucking retard. 100million other Final Fantasy games sold that Cloud was not in do absolutely fucking nothing to promote Cloud.

Please, tell me in what way Final Fantasy X made Cloud more popular. I will wait forever for you.

>You pretty blatantly don't know shit about Final Fantasy considering he's been in something like 30+ games.
You pretty blatantly don't know shit about Final Fantasy if you think one-note appearances in spin-off games are at all relevant or popular.

>>316563293
I didn't say one word about Black mage, autist. Nice to see you go off on an irrelevant rant though.
>>
>>316561507
His limit mechanic is completely unique though
>>
>>316563701
>Please, tell me in what way Final Fantasy X made Cloud more popular.
He put the series on the fucking map in the west, for one.

>You pretty blatantly don't know shit about Final Fantasy if you think one-note appearances in spin-off games are at all relevant or popular.
Are you ignoring the large compilation series based on the world of Final Fantasy, spinoff games that he's the posterboy of and the fucking movie starring him?
>>
File: 1389391265966.png (195 KB, 438x262) Image search: [Google]
1389391265966.png
195 KB, 438x262
>>316562852
Moogle, Chocobo, or Black Mage are more iconic than Cloud, and any of them would've been a better choice.
>>
>>316563732
How do you know?

Do you know how it works?
>>
>>316563576
You did just pull them from your ass. You're implying that him being the most popular means all popularity for the whole series magical transfers to him.

If you're going to include the sales of games Cloud has never even been in then wouldn't it be fair to start including the sales of things Link just had cameos in for his popularity? Let's say all Smash games count for him. Or fuck, why not just series he's had cameos in, even if he wasn't in them? He was in a Mario Kart once, so let's count the Mario Kart sales for him, why the fuck not
>>
>>316556383
where the fuck is Ray 01?
>>
>>316563789
It's shown in the trailer
You charge the limit bar through a special move and when the bar is full his B moves and smash attacks become incredibly powerful for one use
It doesn't take a genius to figure that out
>>
I never really had a strong opinion one way or the other regarding FF7 and I'm still pretty hyped for Cloud.
>>
>>316563784
hahah not anymore
>>
>>316563701

>Please, tell me in what way Final Fantasy X made Cloud more popular. I will wait forever for you.

The funny thing is, FFX didn't make Cloud more popular. Cloud made FFX so popular.

>>316563784

Come on now nigga, who the fuck wants to play as a Moogle or a Chocobo. If they showed they were open to adding Final Fantasy characters into smash and then gave us fucking Moogle people would be furious. And what makes Black mage stick out any more than Thief, Monk, White Mage, ect?

>>316563821

Are you really going to consider how important Cloud was in all the games he was featured? Mind you, this discussion started because you said K Rool was more recognizable, and in the games he was featured he was a shitty boss with no dialogue or backstory that you could defeat in 30 seconds and not have to look at or deal with again.

>Yfw Clouds shitty spinoff movie Advent Children outsold Majora's Mask 6 years ago
>>
>>316563821
yeeaaa link in mario kart was huge like with animal crossing
>>
>>316563782
>He put the series on the fucking map in the west, for one.
That's not a response to the challenge. Try reading.

The movie is literally the only popularity points in what you've just listed and has already been taken into account.

Also this >>316563821
If Cloud's cameos and games that he's not even in count towards his popularity then the same applies to Link. So now Link also can add Smash, Mario Kart 8, the animated series, etc to his list, and then Hell, if games he doesn't even appear in count then why not just start throwing vaguely related Nintendo franchises in? He was referenced in DKC3, better count that. Better count Zelda things in Animal Crossing to Link's popularity as well. In Call of Duty: Ghosts there's a Rupee trophy for smashing pots and bushes, there's more points for the Zelda franchise and therefor Link!

>>316564031
>The funny thing is, FFX didn't make Cloud more popular. Cloud made FFX so popular.
So, you can't.
>>
I would have preferred the Hero from Dragon Quest. For one his move set would be pretty fun since he can use magic as well as swords. Secondly he's actually part of Nintendo history and he's the one who started in the first real JRPG.
I'm not mad at Cloud getting in, but he just looks like an Ike clone to me, which is disappointing.
>>
>>316564031
>this discussion started because you said K Rool was more recognizable

Try again. I was telling that fucker off, I'm also telling you that you're being a biased fucker by saying Cloud is more popular than Link simply because the Final Fantasy series as a whole sold better than OoT.
>>
>>316564094
>If Cloud's cameos and games that he's not even in count towards his popularity then the same applies to Link. So now Link also can add Smash, Mario Kart 8, the animated series, etc to his list, and then Hell, if games he doesn't even appear in count then why not just start throwing vaguely related Nintendo franchises in? He was referenced in DKC3, better count that. Better count Zelda things in Animal Crossing to Link's popularity as well. In Call of Duty: Ghosts there's a Rupee trophy for smashing pots and bushes, there's more points for the Zelda franchise and therefor Link!
yes because that shows how fucking popular he is
no one references dead shit like gitaroo man or barely
>>
>>316564094

I can't and don't feel the need to solve the arbitrary challenge you said for me involving FFX that has absolutely nothing to do with Cloud, Link, or K Rool. You are correct.

Are you familiar with the term "Moving the goal posts"?
>>
File: Black Mage.png (143 KB, 373x459) Image search: [Google]
Black Mage.png
143 KB, 373x459
>>316564031
A moogle with 7 costumes and a varied moveset would have been really cool, FF fans would've been ecstatic about it.
Everybody loves Chocobo, he's even been the hero of a few games.
Black Mage was the most popular character from the very first game and has influenced the series since. Vivi, Dark Mage in Mario Hoops, cameos in shit like Dissidea, etc
>>
>>316564116
>he just looks like an Ike clone to me
He sharrs about one or two similar moves with Ike.
>>
The only thing I'm disappointed by is that since they're using the FF7 version of summons for the stage hazard of Midgar (logically), Odin looks dumber than I'd like.

FF8 Odin is BEST Odin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU2yvAf4I74
>>
>>316564186
>yes because that shows how fucking popular he is
Yes, how much more popular he is than Cloud.

>>316564229
>I can't and don't feel the need to solve the arbitrary challenge you said for me involving FFX that has absolutely nothing to do with Cloud, Link, or K Rool. You are correct.
It's the crux of your argument you absolute cock inhaling retard. You asserted that games that Cloud was not even fucking in add to his popularity, and now you can't demonstrate that. That means you simply fucking lose, you can't substantiate your argument, and until you can absolutely nothing you say has any value beyond this point.

Explain how FFX contributed to Cloud's popularity, or you're just fucking done.
>>
>>316564158

I said Cloud is comparable to Link. They are on the same level. I'd even concede to you that Link is a bit more recognizable than Cloud, but I don't think its an incorrect statement to say that they are on the same platform and it shouldn't be a controversial thing to say either.

Do you think that Cloud and Link are not even comparable in terms of popularity? Would you really go that far?
>>
>>316556383
Honestly.... everything has been underwhelming except the first time they did it. And that was with Snake.
>>
File: 1384049924357.jpg (31 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1384049924357.jpg
31 KB, 250x250
>>316556383
>Like with Sonic, he doesn't have much of a future,

FF7 is getting a fucking full-grade remake in the future. It was the most fucking hyped announcement this E3.

>not to mention that Final Fantasy hasn't been very relevant to Nintendo significantly lately; Cloud in particular.

How are people so fucking stupid that they can't see his inclusion as a clear sign that the remake is coming over to the NX is beyond me.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 80

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.