[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why? Just why? Is this really the results of the smash ballot?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 15
File: CLOUD.jpg (120 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
CLOUD.jpg
120 KB, 1200x627
Why? Just why? Is this really the results of the smash ballot? It cant be.
>>
>>316529739
No one thinks those are the results. We'll get all the info come December 2nd, stay alive until then.

I wonder if this next "event" will be able to top-off the one in June. I had no idea about the leaks since I stopped coming to /v/ for a while, that shit blew my fucking mind.
>>
>>316529947
Thanks for the info. When I think about it, Nintendo wouldn't be this stupid to put him in the game without their fans forcing them. I cant help but think this is the ballot
>>
>>316530306
Knowing Nintendo, he's in because they want to advertise that new FF game and possibly another FF game that has yet to be announced.
>>
>>316529947
Why the second? Why not, say, around Christmas? That would be the perfect time to generate godly amounts of hype.
>>
>>316530697
So they can hype you up to buy things on Christmas
>>
I'm not a fan of Cloud or Final Fantasy, but I see a clever move here.

I'm pretty sure that his addition to the roster will increase the sales of the game and, maybe, the Wii U.

Also this probably means that Nintendo and Squeenix will have more collaborations, which is pretty cool.

I really don't care about Cloud as long as they'll announce more cool characters on December.
>>
Cloud's fine but Marche would have been a more Nintendo-esque addition.

Smash DLC is overpriced so I probably won't get him.
>>
Cloud is either a

>pre ballot character
Problem is that Sakurai said Roy and Ryu were the last pre ballot characters, then again I doubt Sakurai would want to spoil another character
>ballot character
First one from the ballot, he was also requested more than Isaac in Japan but I have doubts because of the December broadcast. Sakurai would have specifically mentioned Cloud being from the ballot
>>
>>316531030
FF7 remake will probably be coming to the NX.
>>
>>316529947
Its been confirmed we are getting more then one character from the ballot.
So yes, this is from the ballot, probably the wild card. The others are probably going to be more predictable.
>>
>>316531856
Could they really shit out Cloud in a month? I want to think they'll take more time fleshing out ballot characters.
>>
Unlikely it's the result of the Smash ballot. It just ended last month, and that would be a DAMN QUICK turnaround time to build Cloud's character and a stage. I mean Mewtwo took longer, and they already knew how he would play.
>>
>>316531269
The December broadcast is going to be entirely about the ballot probably. He's going to say that Cloud was the most voted wild card so they picked him, and then show trailers for two more characters that were highly voted in the ballot.
>>
>>316531997
Who said he is finished with him? That was just a trailer, we don't know when he comes out.
The December event is probably going to be Sakurai saying "look, here are the three ballot characters, here are their trailers, you won't be getting them till May of next year or something. Goodbye"
>>
File: heeh.png (13 KB, 555x407) Image search: [Google]
heeh.png
13 KB, 555x407
My guess is Sakurai had nothing to do while he was waiting for the end of the ballot, so he made Cloud in the meantime.
>>
So when will Smash feature Dante from Devil May Cry?
>>
>>316529947
>stay alive until then.
but i live in france though
>>
>>316532750

RIP in peace anon
>>
>>316532329
That's just my guess. I mean, sure they may give him some final touches, but he pretty much looks done.

Take Lucas for example. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his release was delayed just so he could be released alongside Roy and Ryu. All I'm saying is that if we see the character in battle, chances are that they will probably be coming out soon. Unlike, Mewtwo, who we only had a still of when he was announced.

I'm just being wishful, I know.
>>
In before only Japanese votes counted.
>>
>>316532750
That must suck.
>guys setting off bombs for political/religious causes
>just want to play vidya
Like just leave us alone.
>>
>one of the most ridiculously ultrapopular, passionately beloved, hyper iconic characters in videogame history gets into smash

How could this have possibly happened?
>>
>>316532545
>Change Style Neutral B
>Stinger Side-B
>Royal Guard/Taunt (CUH-RAZY, HAH!) Down-B
>High Time Up B
>Devil Trigger Final Smash
it just works
>>
>>316529739
He's not the worst choice. FFVII might be overrated and have a shitty fanbase, but it's still pretty good judging by what I've played of it.
>>
>>316531030
There is definitely a renewed partnership going on between Nintendo and Square for the NX.

NX being namedropped at the new Dragon Quest unveil. Cloud in Smash.

Imagine if the NX got FF7, KH3, the new DQ and other future Square titles. It could potentially be the SNES come again.
>>
>>316532545
I legitimately want this.
>>
It's awesome having Cloud. I mean, he's not my favorite FF character by a long shot, but just to have him in Smash is wonderful. To be honest, I'm more excited about the stage.
>>
Some of his attacks look fucking weird. That down-smash is like him doing the splits and sliding his sword behind him, the fuck?

Anyway, looks fun. I only played FF7 as an adult so I'll never know what it feels like to grow up with it, but I can dig it.
>>
>>316533812
That's not the point retard, Cloud wasn't from a nintendo game.
Did he ever appear in a nintendo console?
>>
>>316534257
He's in Kingdom Hearts: COM, if that counts.
>>
File: khcloud.png (331 KB, 708x707) Image search: [Google]
khcloud.png
331 KB, 708x707
>>316534516
I wish he had his edgy Kingdom Hearts costume instead of the Advent Children one.
>>
>>316534257
Kindgom Hearts Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded
The Theathrythm games
FF Explorers

That's six fucking games nigga
>>
>first third party was Solid Snake, showing that Nintendo history doesn't matter
>Sakurai says third parties should have game history and that appearing on Nintendo is a courtesy
>"whatdafuk cloud he is not nintendo"
>>
File: 1380155542729.gif (428 KB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
1380155542729.gif
428 KB, 200x183
Post yfw you don't give a fuck that Cloud is barely Nintendo related since you like FF7 and Smash.
>>
>he wasn't even on a nintendo system!

Who fucking cares? I want to see Crash Bandicoot and Duke Nukem in Smash and if you don't then you just hate videogames and fun and have let the child inside you die of starvation.
>>
File: 8IBi45g.gif (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8IBi45g.gif
84 KB, 500x500
>tfw no shake-shake
>>
>>316535003
>Nintendo history doesn't matter
>The Metal Gear series gained most of it's worldwide notoriety at the time from the NES game
I mean yeah, it technically launched on a Microsoft platform and got it's major breakthrough on Playstation, but the Nintendo version is a big deal too.
>>
File: BondMelee.png (83 KB, 1114x291) Image search: [Google]
BondMelee.png
83 KB, 1114x291
>>316532545
no real guns allowed
>>
File: Approval.jpg (24 KB, 479x479) Image search: [Google]
Approval.jpg
24 KB, 479x479
>>316535049
>>
>>316534867
He wasn't the same Cloud in KH and the others are spin-offs.
They should have chosen Terra or Warrior of Light.
>>
>>316535360
but ultimately that wasn't a major factor in him being included at all, it was just because kojima asked and sakurai said mite b cool. I'm glad Cloud can put to bed this notion that a strong Nintendo history is strongly relevant in Sakurai's selection.
>>
>>316535494
Don't you go fucking nit-picking you little faggot. I don't care what YOU think the real Cloud is, the character has been in 4 fucking Nintendo systems.
>>
>>316535494
Those aren't what people think of when you say "Final Fantasy". Cloud has star power.
>>
>>316535049
man the only FF i played was the one with spoony bard and darth vader and I'm still hyped.
I also like anime swordsman archetype for smash
>>
They really are just using downgraded assets from the new Dissidia. Holy shit.
>>
>>316534842
I unironically used to think that was the coolest design ever
>>
This better not be the last, why would they go out with a whimper?
>>
>>316534842
Why is he dressed like Vincent?
>>
>>316529739
Black mage
warrior of light
heck even a fucking chocobo would be good.
You know who square should have given a dragon quest rep at least each of them has been on a nintendo system
>>
>>316536227
Rocket Slime for smash 5
or Dhoulmagus idk
>>
>>316536227
>Dragon Quest
This, though retards would complain it's not Goku.
>>
>>316536215
Vincent was supposed to be in KH, but when he was scrapped, his influence still remained in Cloud's design.
>>
>>316536227
None of those characters are anywhere as noteworthy as Cloud, even if they appeared on Nintendo systems more than he has.

Smash has reached a point where its becoming a museum of videogame icons duking it out, not Nintendo strictly characters. And frankly thats a more interesting direction for growing the future roster when SSB5 would have to decide on newcomers like "the sixth Zelda character" and "whats a popular new ip on the NX eshop right now" due to a lack of worthwhile first party picks.

Who fucking cares about rules when the door is open to any major gaming icon now?
>>
>>316536473
His influence still remains on Cloud.
Appropriating Cloud into a role written for Vincent is still the reason he appears as a broody emo in a majority of his appearances.
>>
>>316536607
As long as they tone it back to actual Videogame icons and don't fall into Playstation All-Stars trap of: Hey, we'll just put whoever has a game coming out on our platform soon to give both of us a bit of marketing material to use.
>>
>>316536894
They're been really good with this so far based on the 7 third party characters who have already made it into Smash, and all of them have mostly been based on their golden years rather than their most recent designs, so I'm hoping they'll stick with that philosophy.

It's gonna get harder and harder to top picks like Ryu and Mega Man but as long as the characters have some history I don't think it'll be a problem.
>>
>>316536709
Well, only in KH, and AC is arguably justified because of what goes on in VII, but yeah, his public image was shaped mainly by KH and AC
>>
>>316531997
>Could they really shit out Cloud in a month? I want to think they'll take more time fleshing out ballot characters.
My guess is that Cloud votes were such a huge margin beyond everyone else that Nintendo decided to start the process of getting him into game even before the polls closed.
>>
>>316536894
it was only four characters that were "third party"
the real shame is the game sucks eggs.
>>
>>316537160
Dissidia writes him like that too.
Though to be fair most of the cast is our of character in that.
>>
>Nintendo is smart and didn't let themselves get datamined for once
Did they finally learn?
>>
File: 1423121112764.png (26 KB, 117x98) Image search: [Google]
1423121112764.png
26 KB, 117x98
>>316529947
>December 2nd
where did that date come from?
>>
>>316529739

Sakurai tweeted "I fulfilled a very difficult request, don't you think?"

So yes, it is a ballot result.
>>
>>316529739
>Is this really the results of the smash ballot?
no, why do retards think this?
>>
>>316537329
It just means they're not ready to launch the character yet.
>>
>>316537358
>has obviously been in development since before the Ballots were a thing
>Smash Ballot result
I'm also surprised that there haven't been many threads made in regard to the December announcement(s).
>>
File: ac.png (938 KB, 1024x1989) Image search: [Google]
ac.png
938 KB, 1024x1989
>>316537319
Ah I forgot that, too. A lot of people don't realize that in VII, Cloud had a pretty confident and snarky attitude. That all changed when he learned of his past and Sephiroth kept punking him. It looks like Smash made him closer to his original self.

>>316537331
End of the direct, I believe.
>>
Fuck you, guys. I wanted this
>>
>>316537734
it just says december
no date
>>
>>316537734
Unless I'm mistaken, it just says December. I wouldn't complain if it's that early in the month, though.
>>
>>316537358
Sakurai said the same for Roy and Lucas

the hell this slut's talking about?
>>
>>316538015
>>316538025
my b, i was busy picking up my jaw off the floor.

>>316537806
I didn't want it, but i welcome him. He'll be my tertiary "main", if not my secondary.
>>
>>316536607
>None of those characters are anywhere as noteworthy as Cloud, even if they appeared on Nintendo systems more than he has.
Cloud loses in popularity polls to almost all of the DQ protagonist, and people want goku, add in MC of DQVIII make his down be tension up and after doing it 3 times he goes super high tension and boom DQ gets a huge boost in popularity in the west, DQ the biggest rpg series in japan gets a rep. Cloud was a lazy fucking choice
>>
>>316538386
>DQ the biggest rpg series in japan
And pretty obscure comparatively to everywhere else in the world
Smash Bros is a series with international appeal and Cloud was the best Square pick for that. His name has weight everywhere.
>>
>>316537331
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/decembers-super-smash-bros-broadcast-is-the-last-one/

But I haven't encountered anyone else saying that. Plus the "writer's" mistakes on his bio give me a bad vibe.
>>
>>316538386
Ok, but yeah this >>316538571. I'm assuming Sakurai and SE wanted an FF character in so, it really was an easy choice.
>>
>>316538386
>and *retards want Goku
fixed

why you underage faggots keep bringing him up? he has zero chance to be on the roster than being a mii fighter.
>>
>>316532150
They no doubt picked out the frontrunners early on. Sakurai said that everything after Ryu would be fanservice, which implies based on the ballot. Otherwise, if they started development only after the ballot closed and they were able to wade through the results and then pick somebody to work on, it would be an incredibly long drought of no content between Lucas/Roy/Ryu and Cloud/whoever/whoever.
>>
What I wonder is why people assume that Cloud is from the ballot? If he was, I'm sure Nintendo has the decency to make a video that says "And here are the new fighter(s) that YOU voted for!".
>>
>>316538571
>international appeal
>"Who the fuck is Marth, Roy and Lucas?"
But yeah, Cloud is the face of FF whether people like it or not. Mainly SE who seem to think Lightning is.
>>
>>316529739
Who was the last ballot winner?
>>
>>316538656
>Plus the "writer's" mistakes on his bio give me a bad vibe.
if this was a jap PR, get Sourcegaming on this.

the discover a ton of mistranslated/mistakes article writers tend to post onto the public (like the no fighting games in Smash debacle)
>>
>>316538571
yeah just like marth was well known before melee, and DQ is getting traction around the world. Am I saying boo playstation guy go home? no I am saying he is a shitty rep in general, and his move set from the trailer better be changed its uninspired as fuck.

>>316538764
you obviously can not read, people want goku, a DQ mc is as close as they will get they are designed by Akira Toriyama and even now have super saiyan modes
>>
>>316533869
Doesn't the PS4 have an exclusive deal with Square over the remake though?
>>
>>316538959
Nobody knows that yet.
>>
>>316538959
Cloud is just the first, but at least two more are on the way.
>>
>>316539002
>people want goku
gokufags aren't people, just filthy bandwagoners.
>>
>>316539043
But then Ryu Roy and Lucas were random too?
>>
>>316539032
Timed exclusive. It's just first on Playstation.
>>
I wouldn't be surprised if Cloud was a clear forerunner in the ballot so they went through the process to get the licensing they needed from Squeenix and started working on him a few months ago. That's my guess. He seems to have a lot of basic assets ripped from Ike, so perhaps he is a semi clone of sorts.

Dat fucking Midgard stage has my dick rock hard, family.
>>
>>316539057
Stop.
>>
>>316535049
I don't have a problem since I like both.
I'm just confused as to why, because he's never been on a Nintendo console in any prominent roles

Even Snake's been on Nintendo before.
>>
>>316539185
What?
>>
>>316538959
what winner? this ain't no competition poll.

Cloud has nothing to do with the ballot
>>
>>316539149
Yeah, for a year, right? Isn't that a bit too long to make a significant difference?
>>
nobody wanted this right?
nothing can go wrong by adding tons of shitty sword faggots
>>
>>316539145
non/pre-ballot characters

stupid rosterfag
>>
>>316539002
>yeah just like marth was well known before melee
Marth isn't a DLC character being licensed from another publisher.
If they're going to get third party characters for selling DLC they're going to get the big guns that'll get the most hype.

>and DQ is getting traction around the world.
It was Japan only for like the last five years, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>316539057
>Cloud is just the first
he's not a ballot character retard
>>
>>316539221
Until Sakurai comes out and says, "Yes, Strife was a ballot 'winner'", we should assume that he's not. Something as big as the ballot would have been mentioned.
>>
>>316534257
>Cloud wasn't from a nintendo game.

Sakurai: "From now on, its going to be fanservice"

Fanservice, as in "fuck the rules, if they were popular on the ballot, they are in."
>>
>>316539303
I'd rather get characters as legendary as Cloud and all the Final Fantasy rep that comes with him over Paper Mario, Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong and whatever minor characters /v/ wants from Nintendo games that already have a ton of shit in Smash.
>>
File: 34234234.jpg (16 KB, 281x250) Image search: [Google]
34234234.jpg
16 KB, 281x250
>Everyone is going to be try hard "Cloud is my main" faggots.
>>
>>316539517
Oh, it's gonna be great bro. You'll have two camps: those who will play and are actually good, and those who buy Sm4sh because Cloud got in.
>>
>>316539398
>>316539410
>Sakurai says that from here on out it's fan service
>The ballot is a way to gauge what the fans want
>Something comes out that a lot of people wanted
>Somehow the ballot is not involved

And let's say, just for the sake of argument, that he is a ballot winner. What's the problem, exactly? There isn't going to be just one winner (it's a suggestion box, not a straight up poll), and him being a winner doesn't preclude anybody else (except for possibly other third party characters). Frankly I think it would be more retarded to go around saying he isn't a winner. And if he isn't a ballot winner, then what is he? Based on the "fan service" mention earlier, and the fact that Lucas/Roy/Ryu were the last of the characters to even start development before the ballot, then what could Cloud possibly be if he is distinctly NOT a ballot winner? Just a random fan service character thrown in for reasons completely unrelated to the ballot?
>>
>>316535442
they would put real guns if they absolutley had to on a character if you read what hes saying its the laws and rights on bond and goldeneye from rare which was remade for ps3 and xbox360
>>
More importantly, when is Rool coming?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RbPR8VdOeCA
>>
>>316539764
he didn't say nor hint Cloud is part of the ballot

shut the fuck up. yeah, the ballot not a shitty election, Sakurai still have to see if the character worthy and viable to add into the balance of Smash. demand and popularity factors prioritizing consideration and who to release as DLC. like Nintendo said, there's zero guaranteeing involved on deciding characters
>>
>>316539764
>What's the problem, exactly?
Nothing, it's just weird to me that that's the conclusion people jump to, especially since Reggie said nothing pertaining to the ballot.

>Just a random fan service character thrown in for reasons completely unrelated to the ballot?
I know this is rhetorical, but this is my sentiment. It just seems strange that Sakurai would add him in without updating the site with a big ol' BALLOT WINNER, HERE'S WHO YOU VOTED FOR page. It was a big deal; I think it deserves more fanfare. So yes, Cloud seems like some fanservice unrelated to the ballot.
>>
>>316531856
>Ballot ends 1 month ago
>A full character and stage already made
OK kid
>>
>>316540193
Well I guess the difference behind the interpretation is that myself and others feel that advertising "HEY THIS IS A BALLOT WINNER" is a bit unnecessary, perhaps redundant, as if it's so completely and totally obvious that there's no point in saying so. But I can see where you're coming from.
>>
>ridley fan
>go to smashboards
>go to the social forum group where the last surviving ridley supporters are at (mostly modding or kaiju movie discussion now a days)
>checks out their reaction on Cloud
>everybody shocked and cool with Cloud's inclusion, just confuse how he got in
>some are even disappoint it wasn't a Fed Force trailer or Wolf reveal
>some one links back to the new K.Rool support thread mention some shitstorm brewing the thread
>check it
>ton of bitching left to right
>whining claims how Sakurai continues to ignore another franchise (while SE fans were ignored for years)
>user points this is the fourth time everybody bitched about another inclusion
are K. Rool fans this entitled?
>>
If the next character announced is Geno or Goku I will ignore the shitty gameplay and call this the best Smash game.
>>
>>316531856
>Its been confirmed we are getting more then one character from the ballot.
yes
>So yes, this is from the ballot,
no
>>
>>316533812
He's better than Sora or indieshit, that's for sure.
>>
>>316540656
link?
>>
Why do people think the Ballot characters are done? There was always plans to add more besides the ballot. Cloud is most likely non ballot.
>>
>>316540656
What the game needs is another giant heavy no one will play, why don't you get this!??!???
>>
File: RidleyKrystalDaisyRoolSpam2.0.png (849 KB, 1366x2410) Image search: [Google]
RidleyKrystalDaisyRoolSpam2.0.png
849 KB, 1366x2410
>>316540740
>Geno or Goku
these character are never happening

>Gokufags already under "so is he in yet" mode like the previous rosterfags (Krystal, Daisy, KRool, etc.)
somebody stop em
>>
>>316539517
Cloud will live and die by his projectile, mark my fucking words.

I think I'll just use him to style on people. I ain't switching my niggas Luigi and Falcon for him
>>
I don't really care for Cloud, played FF7 back in the day and enjoyed it but never went crazy for it. Happy to have him in smash, I'm happy with anyone that isn't some stupid indie character or Ridley.
>>
>>316540818
right here
http://smashboards.com/threads/k-rools-kremling-kutthroats-evikted-to-a-new-crocodile-isle.421769/page-29#post-20438324

if you don't have an invite, here's a screencap of major parts of the shitfest going on in the thread
>>
>They choose one of the most generically boring characters from the entire Final Fantasy series

Say what you will about his popularity, he himself mechanically is a fucking bore.
>>
>>316529947
dec. 2nd? ????
>>
>>316540656

No, Smashboards is just fucking shitty.
>>
>>316543735
"Whatever..."
>>
>>316543735
I like his limit break mechanic.
>>316544001
This
>>
>>316540096
He's a Mii Costume. Get over it.
>>
>>316544062
"I don't care about either Shinra or SOLDIER!"
"I don't care about AVALANCHE or the Planet for that matter!"
>>
>>316543927
out of his ass

it's just december
>>
File: 1441443234392.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1441443234392.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>"I don't care what your names are. Once this job's over... I'm outta here."
>>
>>316532380
Sounds like the best idea to me. Final Fantasy has a lot of history with Nintendo, even if Cloud doesn't. Makes sense to have an FF rep.
>>
>>316529739
I think Sakurai decided to put in the most voted character by the Japanese fanbase and the most voted character by the Western fanbase.
So thank the Japs.
>>
>>316544910
probably Sakurai just wanted a FF rep and square was like "sure, can you put cloud then please?" and he was like yeah why not.
>>
File: hahaha.png (20 KB, 214x64) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.png
20 KB, 214x64
>>316543735
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.