[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate quicktime events? in resident evil 4 they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault.jpg (162 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
162 KB, 1600x900
Why do people hate quicktime events? in resident evil 4 they would make you always feel uneasy because anything could happen during cutscenes with their quicktime events
>>
>>316490225
They're kinda shitty and there's a lot of trial and error

But the way they were done in RE4 is much better than any game honestly.

This is basically the story of RE4, it just inspired the worst things in video games while being an amazing games itself.
>>
>>316490225
In RE4 the QTEs felt like a logical part of the gameplay, an extra challenge that was used at the right moments. The knife fight with Krauser is a perfect example of this.

In most games they are just lazily slapped across every single activity and feel like a chore.
>>
>tfw RE4 is the perfect action game
>>
>>316491338
It's so fucking good.
>>
>>316490225
Because the break the game flow

Me, I like them sometimes, when they are done right
>>
>>316490225
Because every game isn't as good as RE4
>>
>>316491606
They were never done right except in RE4.
>>
In my experience, QTEs are looked at in a negative light when it is "PRESS X TO DO AWESOME SHIT, YOUR CHARACTER WILL BE UNAVAILABLE TO YOU FOR THE NEXT 6 SECONDS WHILE HE DOES THIS SCRIPTED KILL" or "press B to kill the boss in one move". Resident Evil's QTEs for the most part were in Cutscenes or made some real sense or something you can already do in the game. IE: The boulders or the mine shaft. The fight with Krauser is probably the only time I guess people can really say "These QTEs aren't really something I should have to do." But somehow, it feels right. Feel free to call me out here, I know I can't truly justify it. There we optional ones as well, such as climbing up onto El Gigante. You don't have to do that and it doesn't feel like you've lost control because you're doing something your character can already do: Swing a knife.
>>
>>316490225
I think
>QTE that adds interactivity to cutscenes is alright(as long as it's not overdone)
>QTE to substitute final boss battles is not alright
>>
OP here
i never really played many games with quicktime events before and resident evil 4 was a game where i noticed them to be in alot
so i guess its the only example done right? are there any other ones that are also good? i cant believe that just resident evil 4 is the exception
>>
>>316494383
Several Platinum games have good implementation of QTEs, such as Metal Gear Rising, Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta.
>>
>>316494546
Yeah they were all made by the same people basically

I also remember them in Lara Croft Legend. They were okayish but not something to look forward to.

It's just that after a certain point the indusry took that concept and started shitting out QTE garbage "games".
>>
File: bdog.jpg (97 KB, 625x833) Image search: [Google]
bdog.jpg
97 KB, 625x833
>>316490225
>in resident evil 4 they would make you always feel uneasy because anything could happen during cutscenes with their quicktime events
Yes. How is that a good thing?
Its shit gameplay and it doesnt even let me enjoy my cutscenes.

There is no problem with a cutscene being just that. A fucking cutscene.

The QTEs in RE5 are pretty annoying too. Only real issue I got with the game.
>>
QTEs in RE4: Additional unexpected tension mechanic added on top of the rest of the gameplay.
QTEs in every other game: Hey look, we wanted to make a movie and call it a game.
>>
>>316492391
what's nice is that they extended gameplay to stuff that wouldn't normally work with the basic abilities
>>
>>316494829
>The QTEs in RE5 are pretty annoying too. Only real issue I got with the game.

Wow. How does it feel to have such a terrible taste?
>>
>>316494914
The RE4 fanbase are professional goal post relocaters.
>>
File: 1443792781964.gif (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1443792781964.gif
2 MB, 480x360
BITCH THIS AIN'T THIS AIN'T A CUTSCENE

PRESS A

PRESS A

YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO SMOKE A BOWL

JUMP GYPSY

COMMON JUMP

PRESIDENTS DAUGHTERS BEEN KIDNAPPED

ITS UP TO US
>>
File: barn.gif (1 MB, 245x187) Image search: [Google]
barn.gif
1 MB, 245x187
>>316496824
Dunno. You tell me.
Its a 10/10 coop game.
>>
>>316497773
Calm down, sperg. There's no need to shitpost.
>>
>>316497248
WITH THEY HANDS ON THEY HIPS
>>
File: le reddit xD.png (8 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
le reddit xD.png
8 KB, 400x400
>>316497838
>sperg

hmm
>>
>>316498231
Shitposting harder than the other guy doesn't prove your point, faggot
>>
>>316491880

I agree, but don't know why. RE4 is pretty much the only example in which I enjoyed the QTEs, but I can't figure out what RE4 did "better" than every other action game since. It might just be nostalgia, but they seem to be like the only good example.

Meanwhile there are a couple of other games that come close, but not entirely enjoyable. W101's weren't painful, but they broke the flow of gameplay, and they would count against your ranking if failed, but at least they put in the effort
>>
>>316498469
I'm not going to "prove" that fucking RE5 is a terrible game.
>>
File: 1446186953201.jpg (222 KB, 570x420) Image search: [Google]
1446186953201.jpg
222 KB, 570x420
>>316498772
Well then fuck off.
What are you trying to accomplish with your low quality garbage outside of making me think that everybody who dislikes RE5 is a shitposting retard?
>>
>>316497958

I HOPE WE SOLVE THIS MYSTERY~
>>
Can we stop with this collective meme that RE4 is a masterpiece?
>>
Why couldn't RE6 just be like RE4.. FUCK!
>>
>>316490225
No, you're just blinded by nostalgia. The QTE were complete shit and came out of nowhere and forced you to repeat shit.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.